Boeheim's "Hidden Stash" | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim's "Hidden Stash"

Did better than Pitino’s horse a few years back. Imagine Ricky will hear about that

I seldom watch horse races. I was so surprised by how quickly they opened the gates after the last horse was in. It seemed like it was just a couple seconds. I also liked how every race horse had a horse companion to walk them up to the gates. I suspect all of the horses are fairly high strung. I wonder if there is psychological management of horses after they lose a race? I bet there is.

I seldom watch horse races. I was so surprised by how quickly they opened the gates after the last horse was in. It seemed like it was just a couple seconds. I also liked how every race horse had a horse companion to walk them up to the gates. I suspect all of the horses are fairly high strung. I wonder if there is psychological management of horses after they lose a race? I bet there is.
Now that’s funny!

Yesterday I was greeted by this sight at the DeWitt Wegmans. I have never recalled Wegmans acknowledging the Kentucky Derby before. I assume it’s because of Hidden Stash.

View attachment 200521
When I sent this photo to my Louisville cousins, one of them responded with a photo of Kroger’s honoring of the Derby.

View attachment 200522
More and more people in the Syracuse area have Derby parties - crazy hats and all. Surprised that more businesses haven’t taken advantage of it. Syracuse people don’t need much of an excuse to party.

Finger Lakes is a nice little track, and not that far away, spent many a day there.
The gate wait can vary considerably, but if everyone looks good, they go.
Had Hidden Stash in my Derby Party pool, Watched him slide to near the back and fail to rally.
It's okay I didn't want that woodford reserve Bourbon anyway (the prize)
Bourbon-Bottle.png

Now that’s funny!
Yes, I can see how that is a funny remark, especially after I googled my speculation and could find next to nothing about it. I probably read some horsey book when I was younger, say, oh, 60 years ago, and in the book the horse knew when it had won a race. This of course led me to speculate how trainers might console and encourage all of the horses who lose because I was, in another life, a psychotherapist.

:rolleyes:

Yes, I can see how that is a funny remark, especially after I googled my speculation and could find next to nothing about it. I probably read some horsey book when I was younger, say, oh, 60 years ago, and in the book the horse knew when it had won a race. This of course led me to speculate how trainers might console and encourage all of the horses who lose because I was, in another life, a psychotherapist.

:rolleyes:
As soon as the last horse is set and the "companions" are clear, they start the race. I assume it is so fast because these horses are high-strung and can get antsy. They don't want to let them hurt themselves or their riders.

As soon as the last horse is set and the "companions" are clear, they start the race. I assume it is so fast because these horses are high-strung and can get antsy. They don't want to let them hurt themselves or their riders.
I'm more than a few days removed from my days on the backstretch, but if you want to see some tense stuff, go over to the training track while they are schooling horses in the gate. Others here can offer more insight than I can at this point.

Thoroughbreds are incredibly high strung. I spent a good portion of my youth at the backstretch of Saratoga (both flats and harness), walking in and out of shed rows, and consider it a victory I was never kicked or bitten. They spook at all kinds of crap that most animals wouldn't bat an eye at.

Also, I can't remember the name for the horses, but the riders who accompany the jockeys are called "out riders," are generally really skilled, and their horses can really go over short distances. Many are retired thoroughbreds or quarter horses. In my experience, they were some of the most dedicated and proud individuals who worked at the track.