Boeheim's worst coaching job | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim's worst coaching job

If Reddick can have a successful 15-year career, I still think Buddy can get a whiff in the league. He really wouldn't be expected to do anything other than shoot. And you don't have to play defense in the NBA all that often.

Well, agree to disagree. Playoffs, yes. A random Wednesday during the regular season, not so much.
I mean…. If you’re saying a regular season game doesnt have the overall intensity as a playoff game then….. probably, yeah.

Wrong.
yeah, the offensive talent in the NBA is sooooo good that it makes even great defenders look average.

Also, I think a lot of people underrate Redick. The guy played about the same number of minutes in college as Buddy (for context here), even started a few games as a frosh, scored almost 3,000 points in college, 1400+ more points than Buddy, attempted nearly twice as many threes as Buddy, and never shot less than 39.5% in a season, and .406 for his career. Buddy hasn't topped 38% once and is 36% for his career. Plus Redick was a good defender in college.

ETA: Meant to write "Buddy topped 38% once."

Last edited:
I think Reddick was fantastic in college and probably didn't get the respect he deserved because of the overall animosity toward him while he was at Duke. However, he also had a lot more talent around him than Buddy the last couple years, so I think that helped in terms of him being able to get his shot off, particularly in his freshman/sophomore years. Reddick definitely was a better college player than Buddy, but I think with his size and comparable shooting ability, Buddy can still make it in the league as a sharpshooter off the bench.

And yes, Buddy would have to defend in the NBA to some extent to stay on the floor. But the intensity on any given night during the regular season is hit or miss, and I don't think he would have to be any better than he is now on that end to at least carve out a purely shooting role on the right team. Guys like Kyle Korver or Steve Kerr were never expected to contribute much on that end, but they still had solid careers.

yeah, the offensive talent in the NBA is sooooo good that it makes even great defenders look average.

Also, I think a lot of people underrate Redick. The guy played about the same number of minutes in college as Buddy (for context here), even started a few games as a frosh, scored almost 3,000 points in college, 1400+ more points than Buddy, attempted nearly twice as many threes as Buddy, and never shot less than 39.5% in a season, and .406 for his career. Buddy hasn't topped 38% once and is 36% for his career. Plus Redick was a good defender in college.
The 3 point line is several feet further out now than when Reddick played.

Hit 'em with the facts.

Dave Chappelle GIF

I guess that depends on one's definition of "several." Kinda like beauty, and how its perspective rests in the eye of the beholder. ;)
It was 19'9" and is now 22'1 3/4". It is a longer shot and the percentages have dropped accordingly, OKAY.

Not to mention in his NBA career he was top 20 all time in both 3 pointers made and 3 point percentage

I'm a big Buddy fan, but Redick is at an entirely different level.

And yes the NBA 3 point line is further out than the current college line

If Reddick can have a successful 15-year career, I still think Buddy can get a whiff in the league. He really wouldn't be expected to do anything other than shoot. And you don't have to play defense in the NBA all that often.
If Buddy was even in the same stratosphere as Reddick I'd agree with you.

If Buddy was even in the same stratosphere as Reddick I'd agree with you.

Literally the only thing JJ and Jackson have in common, is they are white SG's.

Reddick is so ridiculously better at EVERY FACET of basketball than Buddy, and was in college also.

Reddick's career %'s - college or Pro - are only matched by Buddy for that month or so at the end of last season, when he morphed into Buddy Buckets.

Reddick did that every month., of every year, for the entirety of his college AND pro careers.

Literally the only thing JJ and Jackson have in common, is they are white SG's.

Reddick is so ridiculously better at EVERY FACET of basketball than Buddy, and was in college also.

Reddick's career %'s - college or Pro - are only matched by Buddy for that month or so at the end of last season, when he morphed into Buddy Buckets.

Reddick did that every month., of every year, for the entirety of his college AND pro careers.

But... he went to Duke...

Yeah, completely forgot how badly we started out 2 years ago (but at least we beat Colgate that year). And how ironic it was that Georgetown gave us our 5th loss almost 2 years to the day.
I thought moving the the ACC was supposed to be good for our programs? Both football and hoops have gone downhill since and worse, we keep getting beat by our old Big East foes.
It was a good move money wise, I don’t think anyone claimed it was a good move for anything else but that. It was still the prudent choice even if they’re now mid tier basketball and a football doormat.

What do JJ Reddick and Buddy have in common other than the color of their skin? Reddick could score on anyone, from anywhere at anytime. Buddy is an above average, borderline excellent college player, but he is nowhere near JJ Reddick's level.

Ok, so clearly I am wrong on this. And the comparison had nothing to do with freaking skin color, which has been brought up multiple times now. Frankly, it was never a man to man comparison at all. I said in a previous post that Redick is far superior, and that really is without debate. However, I do believe a comparable game (albeit at a lesser skill level) and size can still help Buddy stick in the league for a little while in the right situation. Was not trying to imply he is as good as Redick, just that he is still capable (in my opinion) that he can still make the nba if a good opportunity arises. I’ll shut up on this now, as I’m clearly in the wrong.

ETA: Meant to write "Buddy topped 38% once."
THIS ...people confuse Nba as “bad defense” when its actually just amazing how damn good the scorers are

THIS ...people confuse Nba as “bad defense” when its actually just amazing how damn good the scorers are

They also play 48 minutes. if they played 40 minutes, nobody would be saying that they don't play defense. the scores would be in the 70-80 range.

They also play 48 minutes. if they played 40 minutes, nobody would be saying that they don't play defense. the scores would be in the 70-80 range.

NBA averages a little over 100 possessions per game while college hoops is somewhere just over 70. There are a lot more opportunities to score in an NBA game, and the players are exponentially better. The difficulty of shots guys can make nowadays is crazy. It's not that there's bad defense necessarily, just great offense.

if a team needs shooters, they might give buddy a shot.

there really arent that many shooters as good as he is at his size out there.

and todays nba is all about shooitng 3s

maybe on a team like the Bucks of 76ers with giannis and embiid...who have a dominant inside scorer and want to space the floor. that type of situation would be his best fit.

I think duncan robinson might be a better comp than reddick...even though i think duncan robinson is probably a better defender (idk i dont watch nba or robinson)

at 6'6" there have to be some guys buddy can cover.

to me its all about if he can play d...and i havent seen it from him at this point. but maaaybe. he can probably cover the guys who dont really do much offensively in the 6-5 to 6-8...like a dorian finny smith or something but not sure...his foot speed is very slow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom