Clemson
@ Florida State
NC State
@ Georgia Tech
North Carolina
@ Wake Forest
Pittsburgh
@ Boston College

Home schedule of Maryland, Clemson, NC State, UNC, and Pitt (and baby seal Stony Brook)? So much better than the Big East dreck.

:bat:

That is a serious schedule. I hope our staff and team are ready to rock!

I am pretty sure we do not get a cut of WV's exit fee, since we have given notice we are leaving. It has been discussed on the board before.

We get a cut. It might be applied to obligations that SU has to the conference, but we certaintly get a credit it for it. Giving notice is not the same thing as the effective date when we leave the conference.

Remember, we don't get to share in any more money so long as we stay in the Big East - it all gets applied to our exit fee. Plus, even if the team remains as it is right now (that is, a .500 team), we will still draw an extra 5,000 per game based on the quality of opponents. Book it right now.

Having it applied to the exit fee is not the same as not getting a share.

We get a cut. It might be applied to obligations that SU has to the conference, but we certaintly get a credit it for it. Giving notice is not the same thing as the effective date when we leave the conference.
OK - guess I misunderstood. Hope you're right.

Ask yourself this one single question.

Why is every BE football school (including UConn) trying to get out?

That answer will allow you to see the light and will tell you that the BE has been a cluster and completely mismanaged. I don't see one single basketball only school striving to get out.

To answer your question, the BE Football teams are trying to get out because the BE has the least history, tradition, the least stability and the worst television contract.

Now, I'll ask you again. If the Big East is so completely mismanaged, offer what your solution would have been since you're making it out to be so easy and straightforward.

Now, I'll ask you again. If the Big East is so completely mismanaged, offer what your solution would have been since you're making it out to be so easy and straightforward.

I would've said do away with the BE and let the schools fend for themselves. The BE is a bad FB conference, which is what this is all about, and did not have a future. The schools that got picked up (SU, Pitt, WVU) would've gotten picked up clearly as evidenced that they were anyway. Good for us. I can't speak for the others, but I would say LVille (B12) and UConn (ACC) would've been next in line. If you don't get picked up, head back to the crap conferences you came from (CUSA). When BC, Miami and VT left in 2003, the BE's death was imminent.

It's been discussed here many a time over the years.

Following the 2003 raid, it was imperative to get to 8 football teams simply to be able to exist. Following that move it was critical to either go to 9 or 12. Either of these configurations provide for even scheduling, bring stability, improve TV revenues and guard against drastic impact by any future departures.

There were never going to be any great options of attracting new conference members. All of the recognizable brand names in the collegiate world were quite settled in their current situations.

The basketball side prevented initial expansion past 8. Conference leadership didn't or couldn't convince them otherwise. Once the writing was on the wall ("The conference must expand beyond 8") more difficulty lay ahead. The TCU move, albeit late, was a good one. It needed to be coupled with, or followed closely by, the move to 12. Although everyone knew it had to happen, the conference membership couldn't come to agreement. This is where the conference leadership failed once again. The C-USA gang (led by USF) blocked the addition of UCF. The only acceptable addition was Villanova. When it was clear that this was not going to work things stalled. When the non-football members (including ND) rejected ESPN's contract offer the wheels came off the cart... causing the football members to start looking for greener pasture. The aTm/Big XII squabble finally pushed the snowball down the hill... in Fort Worth, as well as in Greensboro.

Had the conference followed the TCU move by offering travel partners for USF and TCU (in the names of UCF, Houston and SMU) things might've been a lot different.

Isn't it funny that once the non-football membership saw everything crumble right in front of them that they agreed to add a gaggle of other schools to the conference. It was their failure to realize that this scenario was inevitable given their position that led to the current situation and possible demise of both the BE football conference and the conference as a whole. The commissioner should have been well aware of the concerns of the football membership. He failed to convey this (to the remaining football member') doomsday scenario to the basketball members.

The other plausible solution would've been a split between the conference's personalities a few years following the 2003 debacle. Have an agreement to play some basketball games between the two and call it a day. A football-centric, or even simply football-aware, commissioner would've addressed the issues properly.

It's been discussed here many a time over the years...

Awesome post. That pretty much sums up how I feel about the whole situation as well. The only contention I have is that our tv contract was so undervalued to begin with, by expanding from 8 to 12, nobody knows if the per team payout would have increased or if they were better off not watering down the conference.

Even if the contract was increased even a little more than before and if the C-USA gang was added in 2003 to get to 12, if the ACC came calling (as they did) I still find it hard to imagine Pitt or Syracuse saying no.

All things being equal, I feel like most Cuse fans would prefer a Northeast all sports league, but since that wasn't possible I understand the move. It just makes me mad to see the BE conference bashed, when in reality, they were dealt a losing hand from 2003 onward.

I really feel like a renegade Au Pair when I read these morons on the BB-only message boards. I want to shake logic into them.

They don't get it. They don't get it at all, not even remotely, not in the slightest. They are NOTHING. They mean NOTHING.

The football schools hold a thousand times the influence they do for very logical, obvious reasons, but they cannot process it. Maybe it's fear, denial, shame, whatever.

Nobody gives a damn about Georgetown/Providence/St. John's/DePaul basketball. Nobody ever will give a damn about any of them, not in a long-term meaningful fashion. They all exist in pro towns, hoping for, in the perfect scenario, the chance to serve as a nice little distraction for the city they are in, for 15 minutes, before returning to the obscurity they have been rapidly accelerating to since SCOTUS struck down the FBS TV rules in the 1980s.

They've never gotten it, and they never will.

they were dealt a losing hand from 2003 onward.

The football schools were dealt a losing hand when Providence decided all decisions would ne made to benefit the basketball schools. That started long before 2003.

Sent from my DROIDX