Boston College | Syracusefan.com

Boston College

raf4488

Starter
BC has the opportunity to do something that might be unprecedented in a power conference: zero combined conference wins in football and men's basketball during an academic year.

BC football finished 2015 0-8, and 2015-16 BC hoops is currently 0-6 with 12 league games to go. They will be underdogs in all 12. BC is 253 in the current Pomeroy ratings with the second-to-last ACC team Wake Forest at 124, over 100 spots better. The closest P5 team to BC is 6-14 Minnesota who is rated 203 (over 50 spots better). (Edit: Incredibly, Rutgers is actually even worse than BC according to Pomeroy, and even more incredibly, Rutgers basketball plays in a power conference)

BC has lost every ACC game by 14 or more so far, and it's about to get even worse with their next 5 games vs. FSU, @UNC, @Virginia, @Louisville, and vs. UNC.

Has this ever been done before? I don't see anybody in this league who BC could possibly beat right now.

Last edited:
BC has the opportunity to do something that might be unprecedented in a power conference: zero combined wins in football and men's basketball during an academic year.

BC football finished 2015 0-8, and 2015-16 BC hoops is currently 0-6 with 12 league games to go. They will be underdogs in all 12. BC is 253 in the current Pomeroy ratings with the second-to-last ACC team Wake Forest at 124, over 100 spots better. The closest P5 team to BC is 6-14 Minnesota who is rated 203 (over 50 spots better).

BC has lost every ACC game by 14 or more so far, and it's about to get even worse with their next 5 games vs. FSU, @UNC, @Virginia, @Louisville, and vs. UNC.

Has this ever been done before? I don't see anybody in this league who BC could possibly beat right now.
So you're saying we have a decent chance to sweep them this season?

BC has the opportunity to do something that might be unprecedented in a power conference: zero combined wins in football and men's basketball during an academic year.

BC football finished 2015 0-8, and 2015-16 BC hoops is currently 0-6 with 12 league games to go. They will be underdogs in all 12. BC is 253 in the current Pomeroy ratings with the second-to-last ACC team Wake Forest at 124, over 100 spots better. The closest P5 team to BC is 6-14 Minnesota who is rated 203 (over 50 spots better).

Some great info in the post and an interesting question. I don't know your answer -- 0-16 seasons have to be extremely rare in conference basketball.

But in terms of the bolded there is one team that you overlooked. Good ol' Rutgers is #277 in KenPom.

Now I'm rather sorry I'm not working anymore or I would read your post verbatim to my obnoxious BC former coworker.

I decided to check the ACC history for teams with o wins in conference basketball season.

Since inception of 1954 I only found 4, (I put the record in the 2 football years around that season, because each could be considered back to back)
1986 - Wake Forest 0-14 (1986: 2-5, 1985: 1-6)
1981 - Georgia Tech 0-14 (independent in football, but as aside they were 1-9 and 1-10 as independent in those years)
1955 - Clenson 0-14 (1956: 5-0, 1955: 3-1)
1954 - Clenson 0-9 (1954: 1-2)

So in the ACC that has never been done. The biggest period of ineptidude appears to be the 1985 Wake Forest football and the following basketball team which went a combined 1-20.

Some great info in the post and an interesting question. I don't know your answer -- 0-16 seasons have to be extremely rare in conference basketball.

But in terms of the bolded there is one team that you overlooked. Good ol' Rutgers is #277 in KenPom.

I guess it's really easy to forget about Rutgers basketball. Rutgers vs. BC would be quite a competitive game and incredibly hard to watch

I guess it's really easy to forget about Rutgers basketball. Rutgers vs. BC would be quite a competitive game and incredibly hard to watch

watch-this-revealing-documentary-on-the-making-of-stanley-kubricks-a-clockwork-orange.jpg

And to think, they could have hired Jim Calhoun, who wanted to come out of retirement. They wouldn't have zero wins right now if he was coaching.

BC is hanging around, down 4 with a little more than 8 minutes to go.

The reverse jinx?

Update: BC is now at 0-12 in the league with 6 to play - @ Clemson, @Wake, VT, GT, @NC State, and Clemson again. Wake has been awful lately but I think they win at home. Hard to see BC winning any of these, maybe they can get hot from 3 at home but any win will be an upset for sure.

BC for UConn . Like in those Euro soccer league swaps. Buh bye BC.

BC for UConn . Like in those Euro soccer league swaps. Buh bye BC.

I was just thinking about this then read your post. With BC being so awful I wonder the chances of taking their place in the acc.

I was just thinking about this then read your post. With BC being so awful I wonder the chances of taking their place in the acc.
Vote them off the island. If today's game was a Valentine Day matchup with UConn it would have been huge for the ACC and the fans. Just about anybody who you think would be a BC fan is a fan of Notre Dame.

Update: BC is now at 0-12 in the league with 6 to play - @ Clemson, @Wake, VT, GT, @NC State, and Clemson again. Wake has been awful lately but I think they win at home. Hard to see BC winning any of these, maybe they can get hot from 3 at home but any win will be an upset for sure.
HL0Bg47.gif

BC keeping the dream alive with a last second loss to NC State!

that was so brutal.

Clemson at home is the only thing standing between BC athletics and history. I so want to cheer for the realization of this remarkable achievement, but a BC win helps SU for ACC Tournament seeding purposes (provided we beat FSU).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom