Bourama Sidibe waits on latest knee treatment, will likely need surgery | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Bourama Sidibe waits on latest knee treatment, will likely need surgery

There has to be more then tendinitis...I had runners knee which I imagine is similar to what he is having. Every PT and doc I spoke with said there was no surgery for it. Just gotta wait it out.

There has to be more then tendinitis...I had runners knee which I imagine is similar to what he is having. Every PT and doc I spoke with said there was no surgery for it. Just gotta wait it out.
Runner's knee is an imbalance of the quadriceps muscle group, specifically a weak inner quad (VMO) and causes the patella to track laterally. Tendinitis simply is inflammation of the tendon. They can present similarly but they are not the same thing.

Runner's knee is an imbalance of the quadriceps muscle group, specifically a weak inner quad (VMO) and causes the patella to track laterally. Tendinitis simply is inflammation of the tendon. They can present similarly but they are not the same thing.
still i didn't think there was much that could be done surgically for tendons unless it was torn.

What is the difference between runner's knee and jumper's knee-- which is what Bourama has? Have you heard about the prognosis for surgeries like the one Bourama is likely to have? Thanks.

Runners knee and jumpers knee are two different issues. Runners knee is above the knee cap at the bottom of the quad. Jumpers knee is the bottom of the knee.

Is this related to that lousy play in the Tech game where he challenged the breakaway and fell awkwardly? He seemed to be doing well before that play. Knowing he wasn't healthy anyway, he probably should have pulled up.

I guess it's a good thing in the long run to finally have it fixed for good. Speedy recovery, Big Bou.

Yes, that was the play. He bumped knees too or at least bumped his knee into the other player.

What is the difference between runner's knee and jumper's knee-- which is what Bourama has? Have you heard about the prognosis for surgeries like the one Bourama is likely to have? Thanks.
I am unsure of the prognosis for this type of surgery. I can explain more about Runner's Knee than Jumper's knee. Runners knee is also known as PatelloFemoral Pain Syndrome. What happens is that the quadriceps muscle group is actually made out of four different muscles. Three attach to the outside of the knee cap and one attaches to the inside, )the VMO). Overtime the three muscles that attach to the the outside track the patella outwardly and put stress on the knee. Part of the treatment of runner's knee is specifically strengthening the VMO or inner quad muscle to help offset the imbalance. Certainly this can also involve tendon inflammation. It is my understanding that what Sidibe has is tendinitis from jumping causing stress on the knee. This can also be treated by quad strengthening as a whole to take pressure off the actual tendon. Donna's article said something about him having his feet corrected. I'm GUESSING that means he has decreased arches in his feet. (It's also possible his arches are too high) What happens when you have decreased arches is that it usually leads to pronation (rolling of the ankle) when you walk/run and causes the knee to buckle in. This stress combined with the stress of jumping and the impact of landing can lead to tendinitis or inflammation of the tendon attached to the patella. This is my best understanding of it. I work in the health field but am not an orthopedic doctor. I hope this helps. I can't directly answer your question more than that.

Last edited:
I'm GUESSING that means he has decreased arches in his feet. (It's also possible his arches are too high) What happens when you have decreased arches is that it usually leads to pronation (rolling of the ankle) when you walk/run and causes the knee to buckle in. This stress combined with the stress of jumping and the impact of landing can lead to tendinitis or inflammation of the tendon attached to the patella. This is my best understanding of it. I work in the health field but am not an orthopedic doctor. I hope this helps. I can't directly answer your question more than that.

I had very bad tendonitis about 8 years ago, to the point where the final time I played hoops I could barely walk afterwards. Terrible pain. I was playing 5 or 6 days a week at that time and all of the issues I had were from the fact that my arches are almost non-existent (almost entirely flat feet). What you explain here is 100% the exact same explanation that I got from my orthopedic doctor and my physical trainer. It took me about 6 months of twice a week PT and 45-60 minutes of daily stretching before the pain was down enough for me to run. I didn't play hoops for another 9 months after that.

None of the problems I was having reoccured, mainly because I follow a pretty strict stretching regime before and after playing that is designed to rebalance the quad muscles to keep the stress off the inside of my knee when I land after jumping. But... another reason I don't have problems is that I lost more than half of my vertical when I got the tendonitis. The last I measured my standing vertical is 13-14" and it used to be 29-31". Not nearly as much impact on my knees since I can't get off the ground at all anymore.

Getting old s u c k s. UGH.

Not so. There is s fairly new procedure for tendinitis that is very promising. It was developed in Europe. Steadman which is arguably the leading orthopedic group in the world is on it. Not sure where Sid would have surgery as that will definitely matter

I was feeling pretty good about our prospects for the rest of the season, but that was with the hope that we’d get Bourama back and that his knee would improve. If he was healthy, he could become a decent offensive contributor and help boost our scoring woes. I’m just not sure we have the horses to win enough games down the stretch. I think we could do it with 7. But you need a couple of frontcourt guys to help you off the bench because big guys get banged around so much. And PC is just so inconsistent. Blegh. This sucks.

We need a Center in 19 badly. There’s no guarantee Sidibe will be back to 100% and Chukwu is a senior next year. Priority!!!