Bowl eligibility | Syracusefan.com

Bowl eligibility

Frozen

2022 Cali Winner (Rushing Yards)
There are 35 bowl games, so there are 70 spots available. Per ESPN.com, 62 teams have qualified for a bowl so far. That leaves 8 spots open, and 14 teams who are still in the hunt for their sixth win.

I quickly looked at the standings and it seems that most of those teams are playing their season finale against teams that they will likely lose to (Mizzou has to play Texas A&M, Wake has to play Vandy, Ole Miss has to play Miss St., et cetera). Not to mention the fact that Pitt and UConn would have to win two games to go bowling.

So what happens if there aren't enough bowl-eligible teams to fill all the slots?

There are 35 bowl games, so there are 70 spots available. Per ESPN.com, 62 teams have qualified for a bowl so far. That leaves 8 spots open, and 14 teams who are still in the hunt for their sixth win.

I quickly looked at the standings and it seems that most of those teams are playing their season finale against teams that they will likely lose to (Mizzou has to play Texas A&M, Wake has to play Vandy, Ole Miss has to play Miss St., et cetera). Not to mention the fact that Pitt and UConn would have to win two games to go bowling.

So what happens if there aren't enough bowl-eligible teams to fill all the slots?
I think they take the highest ranked 5-7 team from some sort of ranking. I'm not exactly sure what the ranking is.

Imagine the debacle it would be if they forced schools to play at least 10 aq games a year?

I think they take the highest ranked 5-7 team from some sort of ranking. I'm not exactly sure what the ranking is.

The Temple board is very hopeful of that happening. They hope to beat SU to finish 5-6 (they only play 11 games this season) and then wait to be asked to fill one of the still-available slots.

The Temple board is very hopeful of that happening. They hope to beat SU to finish 5-6 (they only play 11 games this season) and then wait to be asked to fill one of the still-available slots.

Cool...I look forward to a 5-7 Temple playing a 5-7 Missouri!

Yes, but that was a special deal because UCLA finished the season 6-6, which is generally good enough to go to a bowl. But they were champs of their division and lost in the Pac12 championship game.

Ordinarily, teams need to finish with a minimum .500 winning percentage with at least six wins -- five against other Football Bowl Subdivision teams -- to be bowl eligible. A sixth win against a Football Championship Subdivision team only counts if the FCS school meets scholarship requirements.

Now, first consideration will go to 6-6 teams with a win against any FCS teams, regardless of scholarships, then 6-6 teams with two wins against FCS schools.

A team that finishes 6-7 and loses in a conference championship would be next, followed by 6-7 teams that normally play a 13-team schedule, such as Hawaii and its home opponents.

Then bowls could then invite FCS teams making the move to FBS, if they have at least a 6-6 record.
Finally, a team with a top-five APR that finishes 5-7 could be selected.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...l-game-tiebreakers-include-fcs-wins-5-7-teams

It happened last year. Illinois vs UCLA (6-7)
That was a special case. UCLA was 6-6 and was forced to play in the PAC Championship game due to USC's penalties. UCLA was assured that a loss in the game wouldn't impact their bowl eligibility prior to the game.

If there are more slots than eligible teams, there's nothing for a bowl to do but invite a team that isn't normally bowl eligible.

It's clear that there are a few (5? 10?) too many bowls.

Yes, but that was a special deal because UCLA finished the season 6-6, which is generally good enough to go to a bowl. But they were champs of their division and lost in the Pac12 championship game.
UCLA argued (successfully) that they were 'forced' to play in the conf championship at 6-6 because USC was ineligible, and would have otherwise ended the season at 6-6 and bowl-eligible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom