Bowl season to start the season | Syracusefan.com

Bowl season to start the season

SUMJF

Walk On
With all these bowls being rewards for players and it seems like the top players for a lot of teams declining to play in them. Why not make the following year’s week 0 the bowl season. Some of these bowls feel like chores for the teams.

If bowl games were at the start of the season all players would want to play.
It would also help with the 12 team playoff and if there was expansion in the playoff using these top bowl games as the host sites.

Teams that are bowl eligible could play an extra game the following year as a reward during week 0. That way compelling matchups to start the year for almost every team.

I've seen this suggested elsewhere - it certainly has merit.

The issue honestly is ESPN - the glut of bowl games exist because people watch them, especially with so many people off work between Christmas and New Years. Seems like they wouldn't want to change that.

there are about 200 kids at a bowl game.. How much you paying them? 5k And you are at a million.. Not crazy money.. Make them NIL ambassadors to the game? allow them to put patches in the jersey maybe? Not sure 5K is changing the plans for the guys looking to go NFL..

there are about 200 kids at a bowl game.. How much you paying them? 5k And you are at a million.. Not crazy money.. Make them NIL ambassadors to the game? allow them to put patches in the jersey maybe? Not sure 5K is changing the plans for the guys looking to go NFL..

I think you need to get to at least 10k.

I agree the best of the best still may bail but anyone not likely Day 1 I bet would strongly consider taking the check.

This is where the NIL deals become fuzzy.. just what language can they add . I mean if you pay a kid A million to play for TAM and he skips your bowl games to go pro is that what you want? You want him to win games for your team. I suppose they could claim injuries and such. But still can the NIL have language that if they dont play in the bowl the dont get some of the money?

With all these bowls being rewards for players and it seems like the top players for a lot of teams declining to play in them. Why not make the following year’s week 0 the bowl season. Some of these bowls feel like chores for the teams.

It would also help with the 12 team playoff and if there was expansion in the playoff using these top bowl games as the host sites.

Teams that are bowl eligible could play an extra game the following year as a reward during week 0. That way compelling matchups to start the year for almost every team.
But then you're not rewarding the seniors that earned and would like to play in a bowl. You'd also then get complaints about how the preseason bowl is causing injuries and adversely affecting teams for the games that count.

It's not as fan friendly as it used to be, but we just need to accept the landscape as it is.

Pay the kids directly for participating in the game. Problem (mostly) solved.
Right. If the bowl pays them and not the school, couldn't it be framed as showing up to endorse whoever sponsors the bowl?

This is where the NIL deals become fuzzy.. just what language can they add . I mean if you pay a kid A million to play for TAM and he skips your bowl games to go pro is that what you want? You want him to win games for your team. I suppose they could claim injuries and such. But still can the NIL have language that if they dont play in the bowl the dont get some of the money?
It's not fuzzy at all.

Giving money to players to guarantee they play in the bowl game would be pay-to-play, which is not Name, Image, and Likeness.

NIL cannot relate to on field presence or performance.

That seems like pay for play and not endorsement the way I understand NIL is supposed to work (not denying the way we all know it's being used of course.)

I've seen this suggested elsewhere - it certainly has merit.

The issue honestly is ESPN - the glut of bowl games exist because people watch them, especially with so many people off work between Christmas and New Years. Seems like they wouldn't want to change that.

I think bowls filling a programming need in December is going to prevent this from serious consideration. Plus - I’ll watch a bowl game between Rice and Southern Miss in December - no chance I’d even consider it in August/September. Moving a bowl game away from a time ESPN has a programming need to a time when they don’t and nobody would watch anyway seems like a complete loser of a concept to me.

It's not fuzzy at all.

Giving money to players to guarantee they play in the bowl game would be pay-to-play, which is not Name, Image, and Likeness.

NIL cannot relate to on field presence or performance.
To be clear, I understand that under the current rules it cannot be done. When I brought it up, I was saying it would be a rule change I would not oppose

It should be that way. I hate this whole nil and skipping bowls. Oh also portal stuff.

That seems like pay for play and not endorsement the way I understand NIL is supposed to work (not denying the way we all know it's being used of course.)
well if you pay someone to endorse your product they must have some clauses in their as to how you act. and if you are paying them to be on the team and they choose to not be on the team that has to mean something? by not playing how are you fulfilling the nil in a meaningful way?

So a team that hasn't earned it, who's record is 0-0, and has about 20-40 players who didn't play in last season's record to earn the bowl game, get's to play in a Bowl game. I think I live in a world that up is down, and light is dark.

So a team that hasn't earned it, who's record is 0-0, and has about 20-40 players who didn't play in last season's record to earn the bowl game, get's to play in a Bowl game. I think I live in a world that up is down, and light is dark.
The reward would be the following season.
In case you aren’t following a lot of players who are moving onto the pros are skipping bowl games. Not just first round pick players.

The college playoffs are expanding. The bowls that matter would become sites of the playoffs. If more players would participate in bowl games at the start of the season it’s something to consider.

The list of players skipping bowl games is getting higher by the season if they are suppose to be rewards players wouldn’t skip them. If that makes the world upside down for you then c'est la vie.
Atleast others are making points that disagree. The TV slots in December point was really smart.

The reward would be the following season.
In case you aren’t following a lot of players who are moving onto the pros are skipping bowl games. Not just first round pick players.

The college playoffs are expanding. The bowls that matter would become sites of the playoffs. If more players would participate in bowl games at the start of the season it’s something to consider.

The list of players skipping bowl games is getting higher by the season if they are suppose to be rewards players wouldn’t skip them. If that makes the world upside down for you then c'est la vie.
Atleast others are making points that disagree. The TV slots in December point was really smart.
The reward would be the following season with a different team, many players who are Seniors who got the team to that Bowl graduates after the fall semester and leaves campus to pursue life. How do they play in this game they earned to play in that is played 8 months later when no longer enrolled in college and no longer a part of the team? Remember when Dino said his main goal was to reward the Seniors on the team. What about them?

The reward would be the following season with a different team, many players who are Seniors who got the team to that Bowl graduates after the fall semester and leaves campus to pursue life. How do they play in this game they earned to play in that is played 8 months later when no longer enrolled in college and no longer a part of the team? Remember when Dino said his main goal was to reward the Seniors on the team. What about them?
Coaches leave before bowl games. Players portal before bowl games. Bowl games at the end of the season are becoming after thoughts. I would like a game feature complete teams if they are suppose to be a reward.

Last edited:
Two things.

1 - Use the players who are playing in the bowl games to promote the bowl game. Us their names images or likenesses to promote the game and compensate the players accordingly. I believe this would be in compliance with the current NIL rules and regulations.

2 - Purchase insurance policies for every player. This can be scaled so larger policies are purchased for upper classmen who project as NFL players. This is a little complicated, but I think it doable.

NIL $ for promoting the game they are playing in and insurance policies to offset the potential for serious injuries.

Are any of the bowl games sponsored by an insurance company?

...The 2022 Pinstripe Bowl Game brought to you by Human Health Care...

Heck this could work for any game.

This week's game between the Syracuse Orange and the Pitt Panthers is brought to you by Empire Blue Cross who has been serving New York since 1934...

Two things.

1 - Use the players who are playing in the bowl games to promote the bowl game. Us their names images or likenesses to promote the game and compensate the players accordingly. I believe this would be in compliance with the current NIL rules and regulations.

2 - Purchase insurance policies for every player. This can be scaled so larger policies are purchased for upper classmen who project as NFL players. This is a little complicated, but I think it doable.

NIL $ for promoting the game they are playing in and insurance policies to offset the potential for serious injuries.

Are any of the bowl games sponsored by an insurance company?

...The 2022 Pinstripe Bowl Game brought to you by Human Health Care...

Heck this could work for any game.

This week's game between the Syracuse Orange and the Pitt Panthers is brought to you by Empire Blue Cross who has been serving New York since 1934...
Ok. Again, you described pay for play, not NIL.

Ok. Again, you described pay for play, not NIL.

The use of any names images or likenesses would specifically be for promotion of the bowl game (commercials, print ads etc…) not for playing in the bowl game. You could use a team photo in order to include everyone. Mind you, it would be photos of the whole team or aerial drone shots featuring those on the roster leading up to the bowl game.

Every player on the roster would be signed regardless if they actually play in the game. Playing in the game would not be a condition of the agreement. Of course some players may have greater roles thus command greater compensation than others. Those details can be worked out by the professionals.

I’m not envisioning a pay for play scenario. An NIL deal strictly for promotional purposes.

The use of any names images or likenesses would specifically be for promotion of the bowl game (commercials, print ads etc…) not for playing in the bowl game. You could use a team photo in order to include everyone. Mind you, it would be photos of the whole team or aerial drone shots featuring those on the roster leading up to the bowl game.

Every player on the roster would be signed regardless if they actually play in the game. Playing in the game would not be a condition of the agreement. Of course some players may have greater roles thus command greater compensation than others. Those details can be worked out by the professionals.

I’m not envisioning a pay for play scenario. An NIL deal strictly for promotional purposes.
You're on a roll. I'm not stopping you.

I think bowls filling a programming need in December is going to prevent this from serious consideration. Plus - I’ll watch a bowl game between Rice and Southern Miss in December - no chance I’d even consider it in August/September. Moving a bowl game away from a time ESPN has a programming need to a time when they don’t and nobody would watch anyway seems like a complete loser of a concept to me.
^^This^^

It's a symbiotic relationship between ESPN who needs content and the localities which need booked hotel rooms and fannies in restaurant seats. Can anyone think of any other logical reason to visit Shreveport in December? ESPN puts up a significant chunk of the payout money.

If we're talking about the start of the season, the rule I'd love to see is no more FCS games in season, but you can have 1 or 2 preseason games against them.

Although given all the injuries in today's game and/or worry about injuries in today's game, there probably wouldn't be anyone that uses starters for them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom