Bowls want to start paying players…instead of conferences… | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Bowls want to start paying players…instead of conferences…

Sometimes players don’t realize how nice they have it. If schools get no money, schools should travel by bus and stay in tents. Players have to get their own meals. No bands, cheerleaders, etc. You can’t expect schools to take a financial beating, They usually lose money now traveling to bowls.

I would highly recommend reading the whole article for anyone that didn’t.

Paying the players is the least of the items to be interested in, imo. One way or another players will get compensated for bowl games. That’s inevitable regardless of this article.

The rest of the article is much more interesting, imo, for what the bowls are trying to do.
The most interesting part of the article to me:
“It’s like waking up inside of a Cheez-It box, but better"

That person should get a raise for saying that out loud.

The most interesting part of the article to me:
“It’s like waking up inside of a Cheez-It box, but better"

That person should get a raise for saying that out loud.

LMAO, that was amazing.

I think some incentives for the "name" players to compete makes sense and this incentive should be a combo of the Bowl sponsor, the program, and maybe the conference.

Maybe model it after the TBT - winner takes all.

"The payouts from bowl games could certainly be directed entirely to the players instead of the conferences if that’s what the commissioners wanted,” Carparelli says.

I would highly recommend reading the whole article for anyone that didn’t.

Paying the players is the least of the items to be interested in, imo. One way or another players will get compensated for bowl games. That’s inevitable regardless of this article.

The rest of the article is much more interesting, imo, for what the bowls are trying to do.
Definitely interesting. I don’t see them tightening up criteria — coaches love being able to say their program is a bowl team, even if that means a 6-7 overall record. And I don’t see them making first round CFP games neutral site. The point about bad weather was ridiculous given that the NFL has had conference championship games a month later in some of the worst conditions known to man.

I do think moving bowl games up earlier in December and loosening up the conference affiliations are likely changes. Waiting 5+ weeks to play is silly, as is teams getting stuck in the same bowls year after year.

It would be an “appearance fee” not pay for play. See the difference.

1672275653432.jpeg

Winning records only. Scrap the bowls north of some point.

Sometimes players don’t realize how nice they have it. If schools get no money, schools should travel by bus and stay in tents. Players have to get their own meals. No bands, cheerleaders, etc. You can’t expect schools to take a financial beating, They usually lose money now traveling to bowls.
Lol

P5 Schools make a mint on tv contracts - as soon as some of the money gets diverted to the player, it’s schools crying poor? C’mon.

When will they start paying the fans? I mean, there is all this money being made. I think I should get a share. I’ve supported the team for decades and decades, through good and bad. I made the investment. I put in the sweat equity. When do I get my FAIR SHARE?

Yet we still have thousand of kids playing FCS, D2, D3 and NAIA college football. Heck even many community colleges have football programs. Or do just rich kids play at all these colleges? They sacrifice their bodies - for what? - do they just love playing? How do they exist and how do their players live under such underwhelming conditions?

Sounds great. They should be getting a cut of TV money directly especially bowl games. Give winners the higher share.

Nice article. One of the problems playing all playoff games on neutral locations is the expense for fans to travel to all the games. If your a playoff team, it could be a problem for fans traveling for three straight weeks. I like the idea of not tying conferences to bowl games. Open all bowls up to everyone. I’m not against making teams qualifying for bowls with a 7-5 record. Providing money to players instead of conferences is another good idea.
I think people are going to hate that first round game and want the playoff to go down to 8 teams.

Even on campus the stadiums will be empty with no students. They might want 1 venue hosting both opening round games if its a neutral site have fans travel and watch the other game as a neutral.

Yet we still have thousand of kids playing FCS, D2, D3 and NAIA college football. Heck even many community colleges have football programs. Or do just rich kids play at all these colleges? They sacrifice their bodies - for what? - do they just love playing? How do they exist and how do their players live under such underwhelming conditions?
Some people really love football and the physicality. It's why you have a number of semi pro leagues across the country filled with guys who played D1.

I said 2-3 weeks ago this could get interesting with the portal and opt outs. 1- 2 guys opting out of a bowl game here and there is one thing. But when a company is sponsoring a bowl and it’s a glorified scrimmage as some have pointed out. Not sure I want to drop all that $ for that if I’m the company shelling out the $.

The schools and therefore the NCAA don't want it to be the same thing, hence the big farce.
Who is starting the when-does-the-NCAA-get-dissolved office pool?

dinoextinction.jpg

Condense the number of bowls and have two sponsors per bowl - one to remunerate each team. Cross promotional advertising at its best. Who wouldn’t want to see Birmingham vs LA?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom