Bowls want to start paying players…instead of conferences… | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Bowls want to start paying players…instead of conferences…

None of those levels generate meaningful revenue. That’s entirely why FBS players are getting “paid”. If some D2 kid becomes a sensation he can take advantage of it via NIL.

I eagerly await some of these posters that watch for the love of the game to move their fandom to Ithaca or SUNY whatever. You won't have to worry about transfer portal or NIL there. It's everything they are asking for.

I'll bet you 20 bucks that I see you here next year with the exact same post
You don’t know me very well then. I don’t say stuff like this unless I really mean it.

Every regular season matchup is just as “meaningless” once you lose 2 games. The only difference is the bowl takes place next semester.
The extent to which you are missing the point can be measured in miles.

I’m constantly amazed at the folks who will defend the current “system” to the death.

Well, they do get paid for a tryout, it’s called camp and one is on the 90man roster.

They do not get paid for a ‘workout’, to decide if they should get invited to camp and for in season practice squad additions.

Once invited, it’s all about the signing bonus and then they likely will get the league minimum until they actually make a roster and get a game check.
Well I think they should start paying for workouts. The NFL makes so much money. Sone of it should go to guys who ALMOST got to play. And the schools should pay players for good grades… heck if a player doesn’t stay eligible, he can’t help the school make a gozillion dollars. So big money for A’s and B’s. And while we’re at it, anyone who doesn’t commit a felony while enrolled gets a bonus.

I’m constantly amazed at the folks who will defend the current “system” to the death.
You are confusing "defending" as accepting reality.

I can stomp my feet and pontificate that the Big East needs to come back and we need to play at MSG again...or I can accept reality that we are in the ACC due to the circumstances.

This is the system. There will be tweaks but the players will be paid going forward

if you don't like the system, that's fine. But the argument that a "free ride is good enough" isn't based in reality.

If players could seek employment, you'd have never had this issue. Now we're here when this could have been nipped in the bud a long time ago. Other students who are on scholarship can find ways to earn money, but athletes can't.
Not sure what you mean by employment but if you are referring to a part-time job, Football SA's spend 40hrs a week on football and hopefully what ever is left in the tank on academics. Does not leave a lot of time for a part-time job.

Whereas, the non-SA spends 20 hours a week on academics. Do you see the situation better now ?

Not sure what you mean by employment but if you are referring to a part-time job, Football SA's spend 40hrs a week on football and hopefully what ever is left in the tank on academics. Does not leave a lot of time for a part-time job.

Whereas, the non-SA spends 20 hours a week on academics. Do you see the situation better now ?
You're talking to me as if I'm stupid. The only down time they truly have is during the Summer and if you're a revenue generating athlete, you're not home or working an internship. You're on campus working out whereas the Olympic sports and LAX players get to audition themselves for a career in something other than sports.

You are confusing "defending" as accepting reality.

I can stomp my feet and pontificate that the Big East needs to come back and we need to play at MSG again...or I can accept reality that we are in the ACC due to the circumstances.

This is the system. There will be tweaks but the players will be paid going forward

if you don't like the system, that's fine. But the argument that a "free ride is good enough" isn't based in reality.
I don’t view those two things as being comparable. If fans don’t speak up why would anything change. We have a lot of power. Not ALL the power certainly. But if not us, who?

I don’t view those two things as being comparable. If fans don’t speak up why would anything change. We have a lot of power. Not ALL the power certainly. But if not us, who?
The fans can't overturn a supreme court decision.

Also, you assume because the majority on this board don't like it, that majority of college football fans don't as well. I don't know if that is true. I haven't seen the numbers other than TV ratings seem fine this year

The fans can't overturn a supreme court decision.

Also, you assume because the majority on this board don't like it, that majority of college football fans don't as well. I don't know if that is true. I haven't seen the numbers other than TV ratings seem fine this year
You’re conflating issues. We can push for a better system. Minor pro league for kids who want cash. Colleges are about education. Let’s get back to that. Or just tax them like everyone else if they want to own pro football teams.

You’re conflating issues. We can push for a better system. Minor pro league for kids who want cash. Colleges are about education. Let’s get back to that. Or just tax them like everyone else if they want to own pro football teams.
No, I'm not. NIL exists, you want to put the toothpaste back into the tube. Can't happen.

… and I will add, if you want SU playing pro football, our days our numbered. Done. Finished. We will never outspend the big schools. Personally, I don’t want to try.

… and I will add, if you want SU playing pro football, our days our numbered. Done. Finished. We will never outspend the big schools. Personally, I don’t want to try.
What you or I want as a Syracuse fan doesn't matter.

Again, reality. Acceptance.

You're talking to me as if I'm stupid. The only down time they truly have is during the Summer and if you're a revenue generating athlete, you're not home or working an internship. You're on campus working out whereas the Olympic sports and LAX players get to audition themselves for a career in something other than sports.
Not sure what your position is = seems to have wavered.

Summer downtime is about 3 weeks for football.

Then you try and compare/contrast Olympic/Lax to football - i think.

So...

What's your point ?

Good. I liked it better back then. A bowl was a reward for a good season. Now everyone that doesn’t have an awful season gets one.
Agreed, though by those standards I don’t think 2010, 2013, or 2022 SU makes the cut. We might make one once a decade.

Well I think they should start paying for workouts. The NFL makes so much money. Sone of it should go to guys who ALMOST got to play. And the schools should pay players for good grades… heck if a player doesn’t stay eligible, he can’t help the school make a gozillion dollars. So big money for A’s and B’s. And while we’re at it, anyone who doesn’t commit a felony while enrolled gets a bonus.
Other than your last sentence, which sadly could apply to some players, the rest is further away from reality than Iron Man was when Capt Marvel rescued him.

Lol

Two thoughts

1, this ain't NIL, it's pay to play

2, as with many issues, the answer is often for labor to seize the means of production, so PLAYERS GO GET YO BAG
Seems to me it is the purest form of NIL. The bowl wants to ensure very specific high level players participate in their game .

Seems to me it is the purest form of NIL. The bowl wants to ensure very specific high level players participate in their game .
You mean, the bowl... wants to... pay... players... to participate... in their game.

I’m not saying anything against tucker but to see him healthy and on the sideline is a crime… I mean you want to go and watch the best players play and the reality is they aren’t. Why pay all that money to go to that game and not be able to watch the best players? The college game is becoming a joke.
NIL is such a sh$& show and these bowl games, some of them are a joke to watch. They don’t represent the best teams from the year. Perhaps these teams make it like a large 32
Team football tournament? Idk what the answer is This as all just a matter of time and there doesn’t seem to be any clear leadership at all about these issues.

I’m not saying anything against tucker but to see him healthy and on the sideline is a crime… I mean you want to go and watch the best players play and the reality is they aren’t. Why pay all that money to go to that game and not be able to watch the best players? The college game is becoming a joke.
NIL is such a sh$& show and these bowl games, some of them are a joke to watch. They don’t represent the best teams from the year. Perhaps these teams make it like a large 32
Team football tournament? Idk what the answer is This as all just a matter of time and there doesn’t seem to be any clear leadership at all about these issues.

The non playoff bowl games are all but dead. I use to watched a dozen or more bowl games a year forever. I watched ours and I’ll probably catch a couple of the big dog games. I watched the final 4 last year.

They need to come up with something bold to save them or just take half the bowl games behind the barn.