Bowls want to start paying players…instead of conferences… | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Bowls want to start paying players…instead of conferences…

Not sure there'd be much the conferences could do to stop schools from participating. Bowls have broadcast contracts, so I have to think this would fall outside the usual "grant-of-rights" agreements. Yeah, there's feeder agreements, but those aren't lock-tight.

Also, the conference is set up to serve the interests of the schools, so the extent to which the Conference can/wants to flex power is questionable.
But if there is no money to cover the school expenses, why go?

But if there is no money to cover the school expenses, why go?
The question "if the schools can't make any money doing it, what's the point?" only furthers my feelings that players should be paid because that only reinforces the fact that this is a business and not some noble amateur undertaking celebrating competition.

Whatever the formula is as far as what players get what money it needs to include the provision that winning team members get to take/distribute the losing team's money. All of it. I would watch every game.

So for example how much do you think the Pinstripe bowl would have to pay Tuck and Bergeron to play in the game? It’s impossible to put a figure on these things. Not to mention the portal guys which is a higher number not playing than NFL opt outs. This whole thing is a mess and I’m thankful that I’m not the one who has to figure it out. With that said I wonder if they push the bowl games up like they said then maybe they can move back the portal entries until after the New Year?

When will they start paying the fans? I mean, there is all this money being made. I think I should get a share. I’ve supported the team for decades and decades, through good and bad. I made the investment. I put in the sweat equity. When do I get my FAIR SHARE?
I really think it’s time to start finding something else to do with our collective time. The whole system, well lack of system, is quickly spiraling into madness.

Schools give you a scholarship and in return you play football, isn’t that the deal?
Shouldn’t these guys have to repay the school for not fulfilling their end of the deal?
Which to me is the thrust of colleges getting tax free status from fed govt. it’s a weird intersection of non profit and profit and Congress needs to fix it

Schools give you a scholarship and in return you play football, isn’t that the deal?
Shouldn’t these guys have to repay the school for not fulfilling their end of the deal?
So you want “student-athletes” to pay back IN CASH the voucher they were given for free classes for a semester they have already completed for not playing in a meaningless exhibition game?

Oh hell no... this would just mean recruits will go to bigname schools just to earn more money.

If players could seek employment, you'd have never had this issue. Now we're here when this could have been nipped in the bud a long time ago. Other students who are on scholarship can find ways to earn money, but athletes can't.

Yet we still have thousand of kids playing FCS, D2, D3 and NAIA college football. Heck even many community colleges have football programs. Or do just rich kids play at all these colleges? They sacrifice their bodies - for what? - do they just love playing? How do they exist and how do their players live under such underwhelming conditions?
None of those levels generate meaningful revenue. That’s entirely why FBS players are getting “paid”. If some D2 kid becomes a sensation he can take advantage of it via NIL.

Oh hell no... this would just mean recruits will go to bigname schools just to earn more money.

Isn’t this what they’re already doing with the portal?

I really think it’s time to start finding something else to do with our collective time. The whole system, well lack of system, is quickly spiraling into madness.
If I’m not mistaken, America is the only nation on earth who uses its bastions of higher learning to double as a pro sports minor league. Maybe we’ve had it wrong all along?

If I’m not mistaken, America is the only nation on earth who uses its bastions of higher learning to double as a pro sports minor league. Maybe we’ve had it wrong all along?
It's either that or you put them in academies from their early youth and hope that they're getting an education in the meantime.

The only sport where this distinction existed was Football, because NFL teams have limited roster space and generally speaking 18 year olds physically aren’t ready to play.

This isn’t an issue in baseball, hockey or basketball because kids can go into the minors right out of HS if they want to. Or play internationally for pay. Football you have neither option.

So it’s a conundrum to begin with but the real issue at the core of it is that the NCAA is a pile of dogshit. Reactive if there ever was a reactive institution. And unable to enforce rules except in an inconsistent nature.

I don’t know what the answer is but this is a mess now and I’m not sure I want to stick around and watch it continue to erode.

So for example how much do you think the Pinstripe bowl would have to pay Tuck and Bergeron to play in the game? It’s impossible to put a figure on these things. Not to mention the portal guys which is a higher number not playing than NFL opt outs. This whole thing is a mess and I’m thankful that I’m not the one who has to figure it out. With that said I wonder if they push the bowl games up like they said then maybe they can move back the portal entries until after the New Year?

IMO it would have to be a lot of money. These guys are getting paid in a few months so it has to be significant.

I think a Bowl would have a better chance of getting these kids to play by having a list of NFL Scouts at the game, and/or allow for workouts (almost like a pro day). If Tucker knows that the Jets, Giants, Bills, Pats, Eagles, RedCommanders, Ravens will all have Scouts there to evaluate him during a workout and in the game itself, there is incentive for him to play.

But that still doesn't fix the transfer issue.

Weird question…. But does the NFL pay prospective players to try out. I mean they are essentially trying out based on their NIL value that they established as college players. Shouldn’t they be compensated for that? Perhaps schools should be reimbursed by the NFL for successfully training players to make it in the NFL.

Where does it stop?

It was only a matter of time before these bowl executives fought back against these opt outs that will cost them eyeballs and attendees.

This will get reallllllllllly interesting.
The swag bag is going to get bigger

So you want “student-athletes” to pay back IN CASH the voucher they were given for free classes for a semester they have already completed for not playing in a meaningless exhibition game?
Every regular season matchup is just as “meaningless” once you lose 2 games. The only difference is the bowl takes place next semester.

You're going to see an elimination of bowl games. They're going to consolidate and revert to how it used to be pre late 90s.

I hope so. None of the ones that take place before Christmas even matter.
In fact, most of them are of zero viewing interest if it's not your team that's playing.

Bowls want to start paying players…instead of conferences…​

i'm cool with that . winners get paid .losers get squat. bet we'd see some real fight from both squads.
that's capitalism with a capital $.

Weird question…. But does the NFL pay prospective players to try out. I mean they are essentially trying out based on their NIL value that they established as college players. Shouldn’t they be compensated for that? Perhaps schools should be reimbursed by the NFL for successfully training players to make it in the NFL.

Where does it stop?
Well, they do get paid for a tryout, it’s called camp and one is on the 90man roster.

They do not get paid for a ‘workout’, to decide if they should get invited to camp and for in season practice squad additions.

Once invited, it’s all about the signing bonus and then they likely will get the league minimum until they actually make a roster and get a game check.

I'll bet you 20 bucks that I see you here next year with the exact same post

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom