Boxing | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Boxing

what happened to the kid a couple years back who started with the long knock out streak?

I missed this one amid all the football games. I expected Canelo to win despite evidence in recent fights of a decline because he's been the light heavy champion and Jermell was the junior middle champion and both Carlos have a rather pedantic, statuesque style while Canelo is constantly busy and is a a good defensive fighter.

The fight went the distance and was totally one-sided in the scoring, although the highlights in the above clip look a lot better than the Crawford-Spence fight, which was a total beat-down.

Now the question, (perennially), what is Canelo's next move. Is there any point to his fighting the other Charlo brother, Jermall, a middleweight champion, (the twin brothers agreed to campaign in different weight classes so they wouldn't have to face each other). Originally, this fight was to be with Jermall but it was switched to Jermell because, according to Jermall, more money could be made if Canelo beat Jermell and the Jermall sought revenge.

One wonders what Jermelle felt about that scenario. Maybe Canelo should have fought them both at once, or done 6 rounds with one and 6 rounds with the other. Canelo: “I never thought about it. They said that the other Charlo was not ready, and that they want [Jermell] Charlo. I said, ‘Okay, bring whatever, I don't care.'”

I watched it. I put $ on Canelo by KO. My reasoning was Charlo moving up 2 weight classes is one thing. Moving up 2 classes to fight a fighter like Canelo is nuts. It was very surprising to all of us watching that Charlo actually lasted the whole fight. He took a body blow and knelt down, 2nd time he's ever been down.

So it wasn't Crawford-Spence (hardly any are), but it was a beatdown, and never any type of flurry from Charlo. Even Crawford tweeted out basically that it was sad on Charlo's behalf, he didn't even try to win, he just tried to survive. I couldn't agree more. Charlo didn't bring anything especially when he should've at the beginning rounds. As soon as he felt Canelo's power he turtled, and Canelo made it clear he didn't respect Charlo's punches at all. It was boring, and never in doubt.

Canelo won't be fighting Jermell imo. He's had some serious mental issues going on. Not to mention he's not that different, and I'd guess and would put a lot more $ on, the same result. Probably going to be Benavidez.

This just popped up on You-Tube. Two rather famous guys, early in their careers:

Biggest bet of the year for me so far, Tyson Fury by tko tomorrow at -160. If he flatlines him I’ll be sick lol.

I guess we'll never get Wilder-Joshua. Maybe they were never that good to begin with.

Parker upsets Wilder via unanimous decision win

After the build up, I can’t believe how bad both fights were. Very boring. Wilder is done, Wallin I have no idea how he got there, he’s got nothing to note. And I’m just laughing at the new hype after for Joshua. It’s Lucy pulling the football all over again. “He’s back!” I somehow missed the Bivol fight, I see it went UD

Late report, but I went to the Benevidez v Andrade fight. We had the best seats in the house besides the 2 directly in front of us (I’d never want floor seats). Row 2 seat 1,2. Dead center of the ring.

Sat the entire time next to Eric Priest, signed to Golden Boy 13-0. He was the nicest kid ever. We talked and had fun the whole time, discussing strategy and his management etc. He had a 1st round tko 2 weeks ago, his manager is trying to sign a deal to fight Mosley Jr.

The atmosphere was incredible, surrounded by everyone, fighters etc. Timofeo López sat directly in front of me. Just the comraderie and ribbing between the fighters was entertaining in itself. The fight ended how we wanted with Benevidez winning against a game opponent.

This just popped up on You-Tube. Two rather famous guys, early in their careers:

Pryor pressed the action more than other fighter I could ever remember. The amount of talent in the lightweight/welterweight divisions back in the 1970s/1980s was insane.

Pryor pressed the action more than other fighter I could ever remember. The amount of talent in the lightweight/welterweight divisions back in the 1970s/1980s was insane.

You can look at that fight and see something of Hagler-Hearns a decade later.

Meanwhile "The Monster" has cleaned up on the junior featherweights. How far up can he go and still be a monster? Max Kellerman suggested a super fight at a catch weight between Inoue and Lomachenko at a catchweight. Could that ever happen?

Missed this one last night, Joshua looks like his old self but these MMA guys sometimes turn out to be paper tigers when they have to limit themselves to boxing. But Fury didn't do nearly so well against him.

Missed this one last night, Joshua looks like his old self but these MMA guys sometimes turn out to be paper tigers when they have to limit themselves to boxing. But Fury didn't do nearly so well against him.

Missed it as well. I thought judging by Ngannou's fight with Fury that he might be legit, must've just been a style matchup thing. Well, we get Fury v Usyk May 18th. Can't stand the fights in Saudi though. A lot of good fights coming down the pike. I'm not including Canelo's fight in that. I think the well is running dry on Canelo's career, he's fighting 1 interesting fight to 4 I have no interest in.

Missed it as well. I thought judging by Ngannou's fight with Fury that he might be legit, must've just been a style matchup thing. Well, we get Fury v Usyk May 18th. Can't stand the fights in Saudi though. A lot of good fights coming down the pike. I'm not including Canelo's fight in that. I think the well is running dry on Canelo's career, he's fighting 1 interesting fight to 4 I have no interest in.

I've read Canelo is going to fight Jaime Munguia and then Edgar Berlanga. I've always thought it strange that Munguia is 43-0 (34KOs) and yet went four years without any of the alphabet soup titles, (he was WBO - the worst of the organizations, if there is a 'worst' - light middleweight champ from 2018-2019 and just won the WBC supermiddleweight title last year). I thought, if he's knocking all these guys out, why isn't a champion of something? And Berlanga is the guy that started his career knocking out 16 straight guys in the first round , then won 5 straight decisions before getting a 6th round knockout in his last fight. It makes you wonder where they dredged up those 16 guys.

I think Canelo can still handle them. But people will wonder: Why isn't he fighting Benavidez?

The Spring, (once it really gets going), looks good on ESPN's schedule of meaningful fights:

• April 20: Brooklyn -- Title fight: Devin Haney vs. Ryan Garcia, 12 rounds, for Haney's WBC junior welterweight title
  • May 4: Las Vegas (Prime PPV and DAZN PPV) -- Title fight: Canelo Alvarez vs. Jaime Munguia, 12 rounds, for Alvarez's super middleweight undisputed championship
  • May 6: Tokyo (ESPN/ESPN+) -- Title fight: Naoya Inoue vs. Luis Nery, 12 rounds, for Inoue's junior featherweight undisputed championship
  • May 11: Perth, Australia (ESPN/ESPN+) -- Title fight: Vasiliy Lomachenko vs. George Kambosos Jr., 12 rounds, for the vacant IBF lightweight title
  • May 18: Riyadh, Saudi Arabia -- Title fight: Oleksandr Usyk vs. Tyson Fury, 12 rounds, for the undisputed heavyweight championship
  • May 25: Leeds, England (ESPN+) -- Josh Taylor vs. Jack Catterall, 12 rounds, junior welterweights
  • June 1: Riyadh, Saudi Arabia -- Title fight: Dmitry Bivol vs. Artur Beterbiev, 12 rounds, for the undisputed light heavyweight championship
  • June 29: Glendale, Arizona (DAZN) -- Title fight: Juan Francisco Estrada vs. Jesse "Bam" Rodriguez, 12 rounds, for Estrada's WBC junior bantamweight title

I think Haney will clobber Garcia. Munguia finally gets a big fight against a (fading?) Alvarez. Inouye and Lomachenko are worth watching no matter who they are fighting, (Max Kellerman would like to see them in a 'catchweight' fight). Usyk-Fury and Bivol-Beterbiev may finally come off. I don't know about the other two but I'll probably watch them. too.

Don't know if anyone else watched the blood bath of Tim Tszyu vs Fundora last week? It's the bloodiest fight I've watched in at least a decade. Tsyzu got a major cut on the top of his head in the 2nd round that wouldn't quit gushing, he couldn't see pretty much after that. I can't believe Fundora won, but both had some very obvious limitations. Can't wait for a rematch of that one. I can't imagine Tszyu losing the rematch.

As SW mentioned before, there's some great fights coming up this spring/summer.

Interesting article from ESPN:

For years I've advocated that boxing switch from hereditary alphabet soup half titles to yearly tournaments to determine each year's champion. I prefer the idea of 8 fighter fields in 10 divisions, (the 8 traditionals plus cruisers, who I would call 'Middle heavyweights' and the top division, which would be the 'Superheavyweights'. You'd have the quarterfinals in the spring, the semis in the summer and the finals in the fall. Nobody ducking anybody anymore. Fighters and their managers would have join in to get the big money because the tournament would be what people care about.

Oh, and I think Stevenson would emerge as the winner int he above tournament.

Just watched Jared Anderson vs. Ryad Merhy on ESPN. ZZZZZZzzzzzz... The commercials were more exciting. Anderson is supposed to be the 'next big thing' in the heavyweight division. Merhy didn't want to be there and just leaned on the ropes in a 'peek-a-boo' stance. Anderson pecked away at him for 12 rounds. Th fan were booing and Fury and Usyk, if the were watching were laughing.

Anderson needs, (among other things), a PR guy. He was just arrested by police after a 120MPH chase. He came out for the theatrical entrance, (I'm tired of them), dressed like a race car driver. Dumb.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom