Boxing

ssbriefcase

All American
Ok, so with Lomachenko v Lopez tonight, it is imo one of the best matchups of the decade. I've liked Lopez for a while now, and can't wait. I have a lot of respect for Loma and he is the favorite for good reason, but his last few fights he hasn't been his usual self. Was it just his injury alone or? Lopez has some of the best punching power or one punch ko capability I've seen in the lightweight division. He has a very high IQ and it sometimes feels like his confidence carries him through. The fact this is free on ESPN is mind boggling to me. Sort of feels like the old days of Wide World of Sports, I'm getting goose bumps. I hope the fight lives up to everyone's expectations.

CanadianSU

Hall of Fame
:( *sad Ukrainian noises*

correct decision (Maybe not the final score). No idea what the game plan was from our guy tonight...

Last edited:

SWC75

Bored Historian
Lopez was the bigger man and used his jab to keep Loma away from him. Loma was too cautious in the first half of the fight. The announcer said he was "sizing up" his opponent. He found him too big and didn't want to expose himself to Lopez's power. in the fights that made him famous, Loma was a perpetual motion machine and he had three straight opponents quit on their stools because they couldn't keep up the pace. But that was as a featherweight and junior lightweight. Lopez is a full lightweight, perhaps on his way to welterweight and Loma seemed intimidated by his power and speed. Lopez is an underrated boxer and wasn't out of his class in a strategical fight at all.

In the second half of the fight, Loma realized he couldn't win a decision and had to take the chance of getting caught coming in to get his flurries going. he almost turned the fight around in the second half, belaboring Lopez with combos. Lopez was supposed to be an explosive puncher but neither fighter was really rocked by any punch. there were no knockdowns. Andre Ward actually had Loma drawing even on his card at one point. On mine he never got closer than two points after the early rounds. Loma had big rounds in the 10th and 11th and it appeared that Lopez was slowing down. But Lopez pulled himself together and dominated the 12th round to close it out. he might have actually had Loma in some trouble at the end. An accidental butt opened a bad cut above Lopez's left eye but there were only 10 seconds left and it didn't matter.

I gave Lopez rounds 1, 3-7 and 12. I gave Lopez 2, 8, 10, 11, I had the 9th round eve. That's 116-113 Lopez. Punch stat had Lopez ahead with 183-141 in punches landed and 148-77 in power punches. The actual scoring was weird but had the right winner: 116-112, 119-109 (?!?) and 117-111.

I wonder if there is a rematch clause. if Loma wasn't so cautious early, he might have won this. This was only the 16th pro fight for either guy so they aren't going away. But I think Lopez's future might be in the mix at the next level where Bud Crawford, Errol Spence and don't forget Manny Pacquiao live. Size wise, Loma's gone about as far as he can go.

ssbriefcase

All American
The fight lived up to expectations to me. Score cards were way off, but the right guy won. Lederman's daughter is one of the judges and she's on my bad judge list.

Loma's always been criticized for starting slow and it bit him tonight. Lopez is too quick to let Loma around him like he's used to doing to opponents. Lopez dug down very deep in the middle rounds, had a solid game plan and stuck to it. He listens to his corner (his dad) and when he told him, when Loma comes in push him off of you if you're not punching him. Lopez proved tonight he's not all punching power but a very technical and smart boxer, like I saw out of him most fights. His speed is very underrated.

I'm so happy for him. He's always followed through on his predictions including that him and his dad said 2 years ago they'd be lightweight champs and a while back said they'd beat Loma, and people called them crazy. For some reason I started believing this kid with his brash predictions and put my $ on him tonight. I thought he'd KO Loma in the 6th as many predicted, but he played the fight the right way and got it done. And no one really knew what to expect in the championship rounds, and in the 12th with everything on the line, put his heart out there and snapped to attention and beat up Loma.

He'll move up in weight now, where there's sharks waiting. This will be fun...

JAXCUSE

2nd String
Agree with my fellow boxing afficianatos above.
Kudos to Top Rank and ESPN for putting the most meaningful matchup of the year on free TV. And to the fighters for actually getting in the ring to compete against the best...
I had it 116-112 Lopez.
Lopez too big and didn’t allow Loma to turn the lead shoulder. Like Ssbriefcase observed - pushed him back and made Loma set off the back foot. I thought Loma was also surprised by Lopez’s use of the uppercut to limit Vasily’s pivot to the left (and added risk if Loma tried to go to the body). Limited Loma‘s lateral options and forced him to engage straight in and out from the pocket (where Lopez had a big advantage). I believe that’s why Vasily did so little over the first six rds - damned if you do (get clipped with something clean) but you’re gonna get out pointed if you don’t... Excellent scouting and fight strategy by Teo’s camp. Lopez’s old man talked the talk and his boy walked the walk...
I was kinda disappointed that Loma didn’t shift gears before the 7th - try to overwhelm the bigger and stronger guy by just throwing punches in bunches from the pocket. Seemed his only chance. Maybe he didn’t feel it was worth the risk; felt Lopez’s power, size, speed and reflexes. Teo didn’t seem bothered by Loma’s punching power at all (even late). Maybe he just “got old” and couldn’t... Loma’s body language in the post fight interview didn’t exactly scream “I’m confident I can lick this guy and want a rematch...” Maybe he retires. All the top guys at Jr Light and Featherweight are with PBC and Golden Boy (except Berchelt); options are limited...
As for Lopez, really impressed and has a big future. Looking forward to watching him jump up to Jr Welt and Welter. As well as the older, more established fighters at 147 (Spence, Bud, Manny), there are a couple of young guys (Ennis, Vergil Ortiz) that will make compelling matchups. Maybe Mikey Garcia, who was too small for Spence but might be perfect for Teo early next year (If Arum will do business with Garcia again). Lopez and his team don’t seem to be afraid to take on the best...
Can’t wait to see where he goes from here...

ssbriefcase

All American
Great synopsis as usual guys. Love reading the different angles I didn't think of. Yeah the log jam at Jr. Welter and Welter is gonna continue to give us good matchups. JAXCUSE, I'm glad you seem to have a good handle on which promoters will and won't do business and why. I try and learn that stuff by listening to different people, (I watch all Max on boxing episodes) and they explain a little, but I really get into the weeds on that topic beyond the surface.

Now on to Halloween, should be at least 1 very good fight. G. Davis v Santa Cruz and Inoue v Moloney if nothing else just to watch Inoue. Although Moloney said he's going to take Inoue's head off. Lol

SWC75

Bored Historian
Agree with my fellow boxing afficianatos above.
Kudos to Top Rank and ESPN for putting the most meaningful matchup of the year on free TV. And to the fighters for actually getting in the ring to compete against the best...
I had it 116-112 Lopez.
Lopez too big and didn’t allow Loma to turn the lead shoulder. Like Ssbriefcase observed - pushed him back and made Loma set off the back foot. I thought Loma was also surprised by Lopez’s use of the uppercut to limit Vasily’s pivot to the left (and added risk if Loma tried to go to the body). Limited Loma‘s lateral options and forced him to engage straight in and out from the pocket (where Lopez had a big advantage). I believe that’s why Vasily did so little over the first six rds - damned if you do (get clipped with something clean) but you’re gonna get out pointed if you don’t... Excellent scouting and fight strategy by Teo’s camp. Lopez’s old man talked the talk and his boy walked the walk...
I was kinda disappointed that Loma didn’t shift gears before the 7th - try to overwhelm the bigger and stronger guy by just throwing punches in bunches from the pocket. Seemed his only chance. Maybe he didn’t feel it was worth the risk; felt Lopez’s power, size, speed and reflexes. Teo didn’t seem bothered by Loma’s punching power at all (even late). Maybe he just “got old” and couldn’t... Loma’s body language in the post fight interview didn’t exactly scream “I’m confident I can lick this guy and want a rematch...” Maybe he retires. All the top guys at Jr Light and Featherweight are with PBC and Golden Boy (except Berchelt); options are limited...
As for Lopez, really impressed and has a big future. Looking forward to watching him jump up to Jr Welt and Welter. As well as the older, more established fighters at 147 (Spence, Bud, Manny), there are a couple of young guys (Ennis, Vergil Ortiz) that will make compelling matchups. Maybe Mikey Garcia, who was too small for Spence but might be perfect for Teo early next year (If Arum will do business with Garcia again). Lopez and his team don’t seem to be afraid to take on the best...
Can’t wait to see where he goes from here...

I HATE the way boxing is organized. To get a match the public really wants you have to get fighters, managers, promoters, networks and the ruling bodies all on the same page. Otherwise it's the guy you've heard of vs. the guy you haven't heard of. Imagine if other sports were organized like that. You'd love to see the Patriots vs. the Chiefs but it has to be OK with the players, coaches, owners, leagues and networks first. Maybe 5 years from now...

Last edited:

SWC75

Bored Historian
What did everybody think of Edgar Berlanga, who now has a record of 15-0 with 15 first round knock-outs?
he was on the undercard. He's big and strong for a super middleweight and will likely be a light heavy or cruiser weight. He bloodied up his opponent, although the stoppage seemed early, (I don't think it would have changed the result). He still seems kind of raw and I don't recognize the names of anybody he's beaten.

ssbriefcase

All American
What did everybody think of Edgar Berlanga, who now has a record of 15-0 with 15 first round knock-outs?
he was on the undercard. He's big and strong for a super middleweight and will likely be a light heavy or cruiser weight. He bloodied up his opponent, although the stoppage seemed early, (I don't think it would have changed the result). He still seems kind of raw and I don't recognize the names of anybody he's beaten.

I might've sent more texts to friends about him last night than the main event. Incredible, with very heavy hands.

SWC75

Bored Historian
I might've sent more texts to friends about him last night than the main event. Incredible, with very heavy hands.
He looked like the bad guy in a boxing movie - the one that makes you fearful that he'll be too much for the hero.

1603055604938.png
1603055624225.png

JAXCUSE

2nd String

Reminds me of a young John “The Beast” Mugabi (from the mid 80’s). Opponents just seem to buckle every time he touches them...
Arum has been moving him slowly though. Probably for good reason too (not much of an amateur career, if I remember correctly). Allot of talent out there from 156-175. I like 1st Rd KO’s as much as anyone, but hope to see him tested against higher level competition soon.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom