Boxing | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Boxing

In before the main event, Colbert winning against Valenzuela was the biggest robbery I've seen in boxing in years.

So the main event Benavidez vs Plant was ok. I reminded all my boxing circle when they started talking what round would Benavidez KO Plant, that Plant lasted 11 rounds with Canelo and has a chin and heart. He showed that last night, and Plant had a good game plan to maximize lasting. Benavidez took a while to adjust to Plant's game plan, and never looked comfortable until the later rounds. His famous jab was MIA, and looking for one punch here and there, when that's not at all how he got here. He does have some power and that showed late, enough to win. He called out Canelo after, but I'm not sure he can beat Canelo. I think Canelo will go toe to toe and stay inside and deliver a lot more punches in the phone booth than Plant did. Bring on Tank vs Garcia!

I shifted my attention back and forth between the DAZN, Showtime and ESPN cards last night, It was good to see some boxing again after concentrating so much on basketball in recent weeks. I didn't try to score anything so I'll just make some observations.

DAZN: I saw Ramiero Cesina, (the #50 junior lightweight per Boxrec, 16-1, 13-1)), give #23, (21-3-1 with 16KOs), Thomas Mattice plenty of trouble with an aggressive style and short, direct punches early on, Mattice tried to out-box him but got caught several times. But Cesina ran out of gas and Mattice began to unload off of him. The ref stopped it in the 10th, to the consternation of many, including the announcers, one of whom said "he still had his hands up". My benchmark is if the guy is punching back. He wasn't. Raymond Ford the #10 featherweight, (14-0-1, 7KOs) won a unanimous decision over #31 Jessie Magdalino, (29-1, 18-1). I can't say much about this one as more exciting fights were on the other networks. #5 junior featherweight Murdodjon Akhmadaliev, (11-0 with 8 kayos) got off to a bad start vs. #3 Marlon Tapales, (37-3, 19-2), and it held up despite Akhmadaliev doing some damage in the later rounds, Tapales winning a split decision in an action fight. Jesse 'Bam' Rodriguez, Boxrec's #1 featherweight had trouble with #27 Cristian Gonzalez's height, reach and boxing ability but won the day with sharper punching, especially to the body for a unanimous decision.

Showtime had Luis Nunez, (18-0, 13KO), the #32 featherweight against #44 Christian Olivo, (20-0-1, 7KO) and Olivo looked like the winner to me, especially after dominating the alter rounds. But Nunez got a unanimous decision, including a 100-90 score form a judge Steve Farhood said he'd never heard of. When is boxing going to go to some kind of electronic scoring, maybe with sensors in the gloves or something like that? Much hyped and super confident Brandun Lee, (#19 junior welterweight, 27-0 with 23 kayos, 13 in the first round) had all he could handle against sharp-punching #45 Pedro Campa (34-2-1, 23-2). lee was full of moves, even clowning to the crowd, but he was also getting hit by Campa, especially since he failed to maintain the proper distance for his punches. At the end the there was another unanimous decision, with surprising margins of victory for the higher-rated fighter, amid some boos and amazement by the commentators. Then came Sebastian Fundora, the freakish 6-5 junior welter, nicknames "The Towering Inferno", (#2, 20-0-1 with 13 KOs). He was asked about his opponent, 5-10 Brian Mendoza, (#19 21-2 with 15KO), and said he hadn't even thought about him: My opponent doesn't matter." well, this one mattered and he flattened Fundora in the 7th round. That's can't have been much fun.

ESPN: #52 lightweight Keyshaun Davis (7-0, 5KOs) dominated #81 Anthony Yight, (he's a Yightweight) of Sweden, (26-2-1, 10-2), nailing him with a body shot in the 9th round. heavily muscled, (and shiny) Jared Anderson the #30 heavyweight, (13-, all knockouts)who advertises himself as "the Real Big Baby", (to separate himself from Big Baby Miller, who has run afoul of drug suspensions), demolished #32 George Arias (18-0 with 7 kayos), in three rounds by throwing haymaker after haymaker. He reminded me of a young George Foreman. Both Davis and Andersson looked ready for some higher rated opposition. Shakur Stephenson , the #1 lightweight, per Box rec, over Tank Davis, Devin Haney and Vasil Lomachenko, even though he's just moved up to that division, (Shakur is rated #6 pound for pound), (19-0, 9-0), dominated Shyichiro Yoshino, (#8, 16-0 with 12KO) before the ref stopped it in the 6th round. This one seemed a bit early to me but Yoshino was clearly out-classed and wasn't going to win anyway. Shakur is learning to use his defensive skills to set up his offense and be more aggressive. That's knockout total is going to grow and he's going to be a force in boxing's best decision. Now they can beging the haggling over who he's going to fight among all those name fighters.

I shifted my attention back and forth between the DAZN, Showtime and ESPN cards last night, It was good to see some boxing again after concentrating so much on basketball in recent weeks. I didn't try to score anything so I'll just make some observations.

DAZN: I saw Ramiero Cesina, (the #50 junior lightweight per Boxrec, 16-1, 13-1)), give #23, (21-3-1 with 16KOs), Thomas Mattice plenty of trouble with an aggressive style and short, direct punches early on, Mattice tried to out-box him but got caught several times. But Cesina ran out of gas and Mattice began to unload off of him. The ref stopped it in the 10th, to the consternation of many, including the announcers, one of whom said "he still had his hands up". My benchmark is if the guy is punching back. He wasn't. Raymond Ford the #10 featherweight, (14-0-1, 7KOs) won a unanimous decision over #31 Jessie Magdalino, (29-1, 18-1). I can't say much about this one as more exciting fights were on the other networks. #5 junior featherweight Murdodjon Akhmadaliev, (11-0 with 8 kayos) got off to a bad start vs. #3 Marlon Tapales, (37-3, 19-2), and it held up despite Akhmadaliev doing some damage in the later rounds, Tapales winning a split decision in an action fight. Jesse 'Bam' Rodriguez, Boxrec's #1 featherweight had trouble with #27 Cristian Gonzalez's height, reach and boxing ability but won the day with sharper punching, especially to the body for a unanimous decision.

Showtime had Luis Nunez, (18-0, 13KO), the #32 featherweight against #44 Christian Olivo, (20-0-1, 7KO) and Olivo looked like the winner to me, especially after dominating the alter rounds. But Nunez got a unanimous decision, including a 100-90 score form a judge Steve Farhood said he'd never heard of. When is boxing going to go to some kind of electronic scoring, maybe with sensors in the gloves or something like that? Much hyped and super confident Brandun Lee, (#19 junior welterweight, 27-0 with 23 kayos, 13 in the first round) had all he could handle against sharp-punching #45 Pedro Campa (34-2-1, 23-2). lee was full of moves, even clowning to the crowd, but he was also getting hit by Campa, especially since he failed to maintain the proper distance for his punches. At the end the there was another unanimous decision, with surprising margins of victory for the higher-rated fighter, amid some boos and amazement by the commentators. Then came Sebastian Fundora, the freakish 6-5 junior welter, nicknames "The Towering Inferno", (#2, 20-0-1 with 13 KOs). He was asked about his opponent, 5-10 Brian Mendoza, (#19 21-2 with 15KO), and said he hadn't even thought about him: My opponent doesn't matter." well, this one mattered and he flattened Fundora in the 7th round. That's can't have been much fun.

ESPN: #52 lightweight Keyshaun Davis (7-0, 5KOs) dominated #81 Anthony Yight, (he's a Yightweight) of Sweden, (26-2-1, 10-2), nailing him with a body shot in the 9th round. heavily muscled, (and shiny) Jared Anderson the #30 heavyweight, (13-, all knockouts)who advertises himself as "the Real Big Baby", (to separate himself from Big Baby Miller, who has run afoul of drug suspensions), demolished #32 George Arias (18-0 with 7 kayos), in three rounds by throwing haymaker after haymaker. He reminded me of a young George Foreman. Both Davis and Andersson looked ready for some higher rated opposition. Shakur Stephenson , the #1 lightweight, per Box rec, over Tank Davis, Devin Haney and Vasil Lomachenko, even though he's just moved up to that division, (Shakur is rated #6 pound for pound), (19-0, 9-0), dominated Shyichiro Yoshino, (#8, 16-0 with 12KO) before the ref stopped it in the 6th round. This one seemed a bit early to me but Yoshino was clearly out-classed and wasn't going to win anyway. Shakur is learning to use his defensive skills to set up his offense and be more aggressive. That's knockout total is going to grow and he's going to be a force in boxing's best decision. Now they can beging the haggling over who he's going to fight among all those name fighters.
Good recap. Interesting night of fights. The TR (ESPN) headliners looked good (Shakur and Big Baby especially), the PBC and DAZN “stars” not so much…. Some “interesting” judging on that Showtime Card. I thought Campa nipped Lee and Akhmadaliev closed well enough to rate the nod over Tapales.

I think Anderson is the best American Heavy prospect I’ve seen since Riddick Bowe (more complete than Wilder). Would love to see him in with a Top 10 type next. Me thinks Arum is “posturing” Anderson as Fury’s successor (Not gonna be around much longer) and won’t go after a Joyce or Dubois (or even a Joshua or Wilder) until Tyson makes future decisions. Just my opinion. I was hopeful Fury/Usyk would happen this summer. Alas my hopes were dashed yet again….

Nice to see Stevenson (finally) set down on his punches in the pocket at 135. Don’t think anyone beats him at that weight right now. Bob has the Lights “locked up” promotionally (Haney, Loma, Shakur). We’ll see if Davis get’s by Garcia (no easy task IMO - tough matchup stylistically for Tank). I think Loma gives Haney all he can handle too…. A couple of good matchups at 135 later this year.

Fundora was beating the crap out of Mendoza with the uppercut until he reached for one. KO reminded me a bit of Sergio Martinez starching Paul Williams in 2010. Big tall (favored) fighter took 10 after getting unexpectedly clipped…. Fundora is a good “TV fighter” - allot of action and vulnerable.

No Heavy Unification, but (should) see Monster-Fulton and (finally) Spence-Crawford this summer. Allot of “business rumor“ that PBC debt finally forced Haymon to “play his aces” (Spence, Tank, Fulton) against the best from other stables. Doesn’t matter the reason. We may finally see some matchups we’ve been waiting (too long) for…..

I checked in the ESPN+ card while all the lacrosse and baseball action were going on, (SU swept and the Mets won, too!).

The undercard didn't amount out much. #13 middleweight Denzel Bentley knocked out #173 Kiernan Smith in 61 seconds. The #95 lightweight, Sam Noakes, did the same to #199 Karthik Sathish, a fighter from India. Moses Itauma had knocked out every fighter he'd ever faced, going 26-0 as an amateur and 2-0 as a pro. All it got him was a #346 ranking as a heavyweight and a bout with #386 Kostiantyn Dovbyshchenko, a man with a 9-11-1 record but whose claim to fame was that he'd never been knocked out. It seems to be his only skill. He still hasn't, losing a 6 rounder 54-60. They said as the fight started that Itauma was "the future of the heavyweight divsion in the UK". We'll see.

Then they had a women's bought featuring Mikeala Mayer, who had lost her super-featherweight crown last year but moved up to lightweight, where she is ranked #2. Her expected opponent had to bow out and one Lucy Wildheart, (#23) replaced her and took a beating but went the distance and lost a one-sided decision. Mayer will now look for a fight against the lightweight champion, Katie Taylor.

Then came the feature bout between two large heavyweights with impressive knock-out records: #31 Zhilei Zhang, (6-6 278, 24-1-1 with 19 KO's), who had been beating up a series of smaller fighters until he lost a controversial decision to someone named Filip Hrgovic, faced #5 Joe "the Juggernaut" Joyce (6-6 258 15-0 with 14 kayos). Finally, the big Chinaman would face someone his own size - and higher-rated fighter too boot.

He isn't higher rated any more, as Zhang proved much the better boxer with more movement, better defense and better combinations. Joyce plodded after him stiffly, eating straight lefts. He has a famous chin but now his right is famous and it closed shut and caused the stoppage of the fight in the 6th round. Joyce scored points with a steady barrage of jabs but didn't follow them up with anything and Zhang's face was unmarked. Now Zhang will become a mandatory challenger and could get a shot against Messer Fury or Usyk. They will be much tougher to beat than the stolid Joyce.

Finally, the big Chinaman would face someone his own size - and higher-rated fighter to boot.
Not the preferred nomenclature

The Big Lebowski Reaction GIF

I checked in the ESPN+ card while all the lacrosse and baseball action were going on, (SU swept and the Mets won, too!).

The undercard didn't amount out much. #13 middleweight Denzel Bentley knocked out #173 Kiernan Smith in 61 seconds. The #95 lightweight, Sam Noakes, did the same to #199 Karthik Sathish, a fighter from India. Moses Itauma had knocked out every fighter he'd ever faced, going 26-0 as an amateur and 2-0 as a pro. All it got him was a #346 ranking as a heavyweight and a bout with #386 Kostiantyn Dovbyshchenko, a man with a 9-11-1 record but whose claim to fame was that he'd never been knocked out. It seems to be his only skill. He still hasn't, losing a 6 rounder 54-60. They said as the fight started that Itauma was "the future of the heavyweight divsion in the UK". We'll see.

Then they had a women's bought featuring Mikeala Mayer, who had lost her super-featherweight crown last year but moved up to lightweight, where she is ranked #2. Her expected opponent had to bow out and one Lucy Wildheart, (#23) replaced her and took a beating but went the distance and lost a one-sided decision. Mayer will now look for a fight against the lightweight champion, Katie Taylor.

Then came the feature bout between two large heavyweights with impressive knock-out records: #31 Zhilei Zhang, (6-6 278, 24-1-1 with 19 KO's), who had been beating up a series of smaller fighters until he lost a controversial decision to someone named Filip Hrgovic, faced #5 Joe "the Juggernaut" Joyce (6-6 258 15-0 with 14 kayos). Finally, the big Chinaman would face someone his own size - and higher-rated fighter too boot.

He isn't higher rated any more, as Zhang proved much the better boxer with more movement, better defense and better combinations. Joyce plodded after him stiffly, eating straight lefts. He has a famous chin but now his right is famous and it closed shut and caused the stoppage of the fight in the 6th round. Joyce scored points with a steady barrage of jabs but didn't follow them up with anything and Zhang's face was unmarked. Now Zhang will become a mandatory challenger and could get a shot against Messer Fury or Usyk. They will be much tougher to beat than the stolid Joyce.
Zhang was a bad stylistic matchup for Joyce. Joe didn’t seen to know how to fight a southpaw, a taller guy at that, and couldn’t keep his face away from Zhang’s straight LH. Styles make fights…. Got hurt early, busted up and basically called it a day after the eye closed. Career “gut-check” time for Joyce - he’ll need to work on a few things in the gym if he wants to pursue the elite guys in the division.

Standing by for Tank-Garcia latter tonight. About time. First real “test” for both. 50-50 fight, could see either coming out on top. Hope the contract “weight drain” that Ellerbie insisted upon doesn’t hurt Garcia too much tonight….

I saw the last four fights of tonight's Showtime card:

Elijah Garcia, at 19 the #15 middleweight in the world with a 14-0 record with 12 knockouts going in had a hard time with #86 Kevin Salgado (15-1-1 with 10kos) but rallied to win a 10 round decision. I wondered if this Garcia was related to the one in the main event, (there's a resemblance), but could not find anything to confirm it.

Two years ago I watched a fighter named "The Bully" dominate his opponent until the bully went down face-first from a counter-punch, (much like Marquez-Pacquiao). I didn't remember who the two fighters were. They were Bektemur Melikuziev, (the 'Bully') #33 super-middle, (11-1, 9-1) and Gabriel Rosado #21, (26-16-1, 15-4), who, despite the mediocre numerical record is a much-respected 'trail horse' in the division, having faced many of the top contenders. Melikuziev, remembering what happened last time, started slowly and carefully but got more aggressive in the third round and dominated the bout with his jab and straight left hand. He never had Rosado in trouble but never got in trouble himself was a decisive decision. He had stated that he wanted to look more impressive than his potential rival in the next bout but he failed at that.

David Morrell, who despite the name is a Cuban immigrant, came in as the #8 fighter in the super-middleweight division. with a 8-0 (7ko) record. He faced a Brazilian named, (I kid you not), Yamaguchi Falcao, (#80, 24-1-1 with 10 KOs), but not for very long. Falcao was out on his feet after about two minutes and the bought should have been stopped but the ref allowed Morrell one last shot that put Falcao out for several minutes. Morrell now wants David Benevides or Canelo Alvarez. That's a tall order but he looks dangerous.

Then came the main event, one of the few scheduled knock-off fights between the main contenders in the junior lightweight/lightweight/junior welterweight area of the sport. They advertised it as "the fight to save the sport and said that the winner would "become the face of boxing". That's hyperbole but it was an interesting match-up. Gervonte 'Tank' Davis is a Floyd Mayweather protege and me may be the best of the jlh/lw/jww group. Ryan Garcis ia boxing's latest "pretty boy" but a talented fighter, taller and longer than Davis and with a lot of hand speed and power. But Davis noted in an interview that Garcia tends to keep his hands down and his chin up, not a good combination.

Not much happened in the first round but plenty happened in the second round. Garcia went after Davis and forced him into the ropes. Davis grabbed onto him and tried to wrestle him away. Garcia got a couple of shots in before the ref separated them. Then, suddenly, Davis hit Garcia with a perfect counter left and put him on his pants. Ryan got back up and boxed his way through the rest of the round. But the rest of the fight he was much more cautious and kept his hands around his head to defend against that shot, which proved fatal.

Davis kept his lea foot outside of Garcia's, limiting Ryan's right hand and setting up Davi's shots, with a probing jab. He easily won the next three rounds before Garcia decided he needed to take chances to turn the fight around in the 6th. Ryan got in a couple of good left hands and at least evened the round but failed to change the momentum.

Then, suddenly, came the end. Showtime's loudmouth announcer Mauro Ranallo, (he's a pro wrestling guy - Jim Lampley, where are you?), didn't even realize the decisive punch had been thrown. It's still another big-time bout, (there have been so many in recent years), won by a body shot. Davis bent down under a Garcia punch and delivered a punishing blow to his side. Garcia retreated, threw a couple punches that didn't get halfway there, smiled at Davis and decided to go down to one knee to recover and found he couldn't get up and the referee counted 10 over him and waved the bout over.

Despite the result I think Davis' future lies in the lightweight division, where he can take on the likes of Haney, Lomachenko, Stevenson, etc. while Garcia, with his height should look to the welterweight division.

In my lead up conversations with other boxing fans the past few weeks, I said Tank would drop Garcia to the canvas. My reason wasn't extremely technical, simply the way he got dropped by Luke Campbell, who is just like the vast majority of lighter weight fighters from Europe when they come over here, garbage. So I put my $ where my mouth is, and made prop bets for Tank by KO in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th. He did drop him just like I expected, but like last time to his credit, Garcia got right up.

From the opening bell and into the 2nd, I watched intently as Tank a lot like Loma, was just downloading information like a machine. He looked uncomfortable until he downloaded everything he needed and started smiling and his body language appeared more fluid and with a plan. Garcia doesn't have enough tools in the box besides his obvious left hook. Garcia didn't look as fast as in past fights compared to Tank either. The experience showed. Garcia running his mouth non stop finally caught up with him, and then he tried to say 'you know what it is' when pressed about it, so it's all show and pretend with him to build up fights I guess.

I love Ranallo, he's one of my favorite parts of boxing since Showtime took over from HBO, and especially love his hip hop quotes they make me laugh out loud literally. I needed a replacement for Larry Merchant, and have found him. Very entertaining.

There is nothing like a HUGE boxing match. That was fun.

I saw the last four fights of tonight's Showtime card:

Elijah Garcia, at 19 the #15 middleweight in the world with a 14-0 record with 12 knockouts going in had a hard time with #86 Kevin Salgado (15-1-1 with 10kos) but rallied to win a 10 round decision. I wondered if this Garcia was related to the one in the main event, (there's a resemblance), but could not find anything to confirm it.

Two years ago I watched a fighter named "The Bully" dominate his opponent until the bully went down face-first from a counter-punch, (much like Marquez-Pacquiao). I didn't remember who the two fighters were. They were Bektemur Melikuziev, (the 'Bully') #33 super-middle, (11-1, 9-1) and Gabriel Rosado #21, (26-16-1, 15-4), who, despite the mediocre numerical record is a much-respected 'trail horse' in the division, having faced many of the top contenders. Melikuziev, remembering what happened last time, started slowly and carefully but got more aggressive in the third round and dominated the bout with his jab and straight left hand. He never had Rosado in trouble but never got in trouble himself was a decisive decision. He had stated that he wanted to look more impressive than his potential rival in the next bout but he failed at that.

David Morrell, who despite the name is a Cuban immigrant, came in as the #8 fighter in the super-middleweight division. with a 8-0 (7ko) record. He faced a Brazilian named, (I kid you not), Yamaguchi Falcao, (#80, 24-1-1 with 10 KOs), but not for very long. Falcao was out on his feet after about two minutes and the bought should have been stopped but the ref allowed Morrell one last shot that put Falcao out for several minutes. Morrell now wants David Benevides or Canelo Alvarez. That's a tall order but he looks dangerous.

Then came the main event, one of the few scheduled knock-off fights between the main contenders in the junior lightweight/lightweight/junior welterweight area of the sport. They advertised it as "the fight to save the sport and said that the winner would "become the face of boxing". That's hyperbole but it was an interesting match-up. Gervonte 'Tank' Davis is a Floyd Mayweather protege and me may be the best of the jlh/lw/jww group. Ryan Garcis ia boxing's latest "pretty boy" but a talented fighter, taller and longer than Davis and with a lot of hand speed and power. But Davis noted in an interview that Garcia tends to keep his hands down and his chin up, not a good combination.

Not much happened in the first round but plenty happened in the second round. Garcia went after Davis and forced him into the ropes. Davis grabbed onto him and tried to wrestle him away. Garcia got a couple of shots in before the ref separated them. Then, suddenly, Davis hit Garcia with a perfect counter left and put him on his pants. Ryan got back up and boxed his way through the rest of the round. But the rest of the fight he was much more cautious and kept his hands around his head to defend against that shot, which proved fatal.

Davis kept his lea foot outside of Garcia's, limiting Ryan's right hand and setting up Davi's shots, with a probing jab. He easily won the next three rounds before Garcia decided he needed to take chances to turn the fight around in the 6th. Ryan got in a couple of good left hands and at least evened the round but failed to change the momentum.

Then, suddenly, came the end. Showtime's loudmouth announcer Mauro Ranallo, (he's a pro wrestling guy - Jim Lampley, where are you?), didn't even realize the decisive punch had been thrown. It's still another big-time bout, (there have been so many in recent years), won by a body shot. Davis bent down under a Garcia punch and delivered a punishing blow to his side. Garcia retreated, threw a couple punches that didn't get halfway there, smiled at Davis and decided to go down to one knee to recover and found he couldn't get up and the referee counted 10 over him and waved the bout over.

Despite the result I think Davis' future lies in the lightweight division, where he can take on the likes of Haney, Lomachenko, Stevenson, etc. while Garcia, with his height should look to the welterweight division.

What I truly love about boxing is that it is the ultimate “chess match” at the highest level. It is not just a physical sport. It is the consummate three -four steps ahead “thinking game.” Davis is a thinker. Garcia ain’t (at this stage).

Garcia did not fight a “disciplined” fight nor execute a cohesive strategy. And Davis exposed Ryan each time the kid made a mistake. I listened to to Goossen (Garcia’s corner) instructions after the 1st Rd. Maintain distance and keep jabbing.

Tank extended his lead RH out in Rd 2 (adjustment) to neutralize Ryan’s jab (make Garcia go around Davis’ guard). Garcia had no adjustment (should have maintained pocket distance, reset his feet and angle of delivery - that’s what Larry Holmes used to do) and instead “played right into Davis’ trap” by opening up (leading with left hooks, flurrying, shortening distance) and got clipped and dropped by a master counterpuncher…. Like ssbriefcase identified, this was an elite “thinking fighter” outmatching an opponent with tremendous physical talents but inexperienced cerebral ring IQ.

Same thing happened in the 7th. Tank let Garcia “open up” again in the 6th, studied him and waited for the kid to overextend a flurry again. Clipped Ryan with a lightning body shot and Garcia took the count. That’s elite level boxing by Davis. But Garcia made it easy for him…. Old “King Ryan”has allot of work to do” (needs to be more active and gain experience against different styles and levels of ability) if he ever hopes to be an upper echelon caliber prizefighter.

I like Davis; think he’s one of the best below 140 in the sport. But also believe his lack of work rate could really cost him against an another elite (and bigger) thinking fighter like a Haney, Stevenson or a Loma. One punch every 30 secs a rd will result in a decision loss vs the other “Big 3.” This has been Tank’s approach for the last couple of years. Protect himself, analyze, wait for the mistake and bang - knock the opponent out. That ain’t gonna work against the Top Rank boys. He’d really need to work (let his hands go and create advantages/openings) to beat those guys. Maybe that’s why Ellerbie (and Haymon) will never make those matchups going forward. Hope I‘m wrong. Like everyone else, I want to see the best meet the best.

Hopefully, we get Spence/Crawford this summer. Looking forward to Haney/Loma and Monster/Fulton as well….

Looking over the ESPN Divisional Rankings:

The Heavyweights, Cruisers and Light Heavys are all "TBA". That's 30 fighters.

Canelo Alvarez is going to defend his super middle title next week against someone named John Ryder, who has a 32-5 record but is ranked #4. He beat Daniel Jacobs but lost to Billy Joe Saunders and Callum Smith.

Gennady Golovkin is ranked the #1 middleweight, which tells you what you need to know about this division. The only fighter in the top ten with a fight scheduled is #2 Janibek Alimkhanuly, who will be fighting Steven Bulter, who is not in the top 10, in two weeks. "Jermall Charlo has been removed for inactivity."

The entire junior middleweight top ten is TBA

There's action coming up in the welterweight division, but we don't know when, (and it's not the fight we want). #2 Errol Spence will be fighting #7 Keith Thurman and #3 Vergil Ortiz will be fighting #6 Eimantas Stanionis but the dates are TBA.

On May 27th, the #1 junior welterweight, Jack Catterall will fight unranked Darragh Foley. I've never heard of either one of them. I have head of Josh Taylor who beat Catterall over a year ago, (and neither has fought since). He'll be fighting Teofimo Lopez on June 10th on ESPN. That's one I might watch.

I will definitely be watching on May 20th when Devin Haney fights Vasiliy Lomachenko for the lightweight title. (ESPN PPV) Everyone else in the top 10, including Tank Davis and Shakur Stevenson, are TBA except ex-champ George Kambosis, who is fighting someone named Maxi Hughes, date TBA.

The #1 ranked junior lightweight, Oscar Valdez, who hasn't fought in a year, will fight unranked Adam Lopez 5/20 on the Haney-Lomachenko undercard. Everybody else is TBA.

May 27 will be a big night for the Featherweights as #1 Mauricio Lara fights #8 Leigh Wood on DAZN and #4 Luis Alberto Lopez faces #9 Michael Conlan on ESPN+

On July 25, the 24-0 bantamweight champ, Naoya Inoue takes on the 21-0 junior featherweight champ on ESPN+

Nothing big in the junior bantams, (nobody knows who they are) but there are a couple of top 10 bouts. The only one with a date is #8 Junto Nakatani vs. #10 Andrew Maloney also on the Haney-Lomachenko undercard on May 20th.

The flies, the junior flies and the straws are all TBA in part because they are all flyweights. Why they had to split this division three ways is beyond me.

So May 6, May 20, May 27, June 10 and July 25 seem worth circling on my calendar. The rest of the year is 'TBA'.

Last edited:
Looking over the ESPN Divisional Rankings:

The Heavyweights, Cruisers and Light Heavys are all "TBA". That's 30 fighters.

Canelo Alvarez is going to defend his super middle title next week against someone named John Ryder, who has a 32-5 record but is ranked #4. He beat Daniel Jacobs but lost to Billy Joe Saunders and Callum Smith.

Gennady Golovkin is ranked the #1 middleweight, which tells you what you need to know about this division. The only fighter in the top ten with a fight scheduled is #2 Janibek Alimkhanuly, who will be fighting Steven Bulter, who is not in the top 10, in two weeks. "Jermall Charlo has been removed for inactivity."

The entire junior middleweight top ten is TBA

There's action coming up in the welterweight division, but we don't know when, (and it's not the fight we want). #2 Errol Spence will be fighting #7 Keith Thurman and #3 Vergil Ortiz will be fighting #6 Eimantas Stanionis but the dates are TBA.

On May 27th, the #1 junior welterweight, Jack Catterall will fight unranked Darragh Foley. I've never heard of either one of them. I have head of Josh Taylor who beat Catterall over a year ago, (and neither has fought since). He'll be fighting Teofimo Lopez on June 10th on ESPN. That's one I might watch.

I will definitely be watching on May 20th when Devin Haney fights Vasiliy Lomachenko for the lightweight title. (ESPN PPV) Everyone else in the top 10, including Tank Davis and Shakur Stevenson, are TBA except ex-champ George Kambosis, who is fighting someone named Maxi Hughes, date TBA.

The #1 ranked junior lightweight, Oscar Valdez, who hasn't fought in a year, will fight unranked Adam Lopez 5/20 on the Haney-Lomachenko undercard. Everybody else is TBA.

May 27 will be a big night for the Featherweights as #1 Mauricio Lara fights #8 Leigh Wood on DAZN and #4 Luis Alberto Lopez faces #9 Michael Conlan on ESPN+

On July 25, the 24-0 bantamweight champ, Naoya Inoue takes on the 21-0 junior featherweight champ on ESPN+

Nothing big in the junior bantams, (nobody knows who they are) but there are a couple of top 10 bouts. The only one with a date is #8 Junto Nakatani vs. #10 Andrew Maloney also on the Haney-Lomachenko undercard on May 20th.

The flies, the junior flies and the straws are all TBA in part because they are all flyweights. Why they had to split this division three ways is beyond me.

So May 6, May 20, May 27, June 10 and July 25 seem worth circling on my calendar. The rest of the year is 'TBA'.

That's depressing uggh

I watched the Canelo Alvarez card on DAZN:

Olesander Guozdyk (19-1, 15-1KOs coming in and the #6 light heavy per BoxRec) pounded out Richards Bolotniks (19-6-1, 8-4 #27) in six rounds. I only caught the end.

Nathan DeVon Rodriguez, a sharp-looking 18 year old featherweight, (11-0 with 7KOs, #98 for now) had a tough fight with Alexander Mejia, (19-5, 8-2 #100). The difference was that Rodriguez showed more movement. Rodriquez won a split decision. When he reached his 20's, he'll probably join the crowd at lightweight. Keep an eye on him. he ahs all the moves and all the punches.

Stevie Spark, (16-2, 14-1 the #13junior welterweight, (he's listed asa super lightweight but it's the same thing), clearly had the better of a competitive bout with #10 Gabriel Gollaz (26-3-1, 16-1). All the rounds were completive but Sparks had a jab and Gollaz did not and I had sparks winning every round but the 6th, when Gollaz got him with a good body shot and knocked him to the canvas. Sparks got up, very shaky, but was able to avoid Gollaz for the rest of the round and got his jab going again. But Gollaz had something even more powerful than a jab going for him: he is a native and resident of Guadalajara, Mexico and that's where the fight was taking place. He won a split decision. :cool:

Julio Cesar Martinez, (19-2, 14-0, the #14 flyweight), of Mexico City was supposed to make short work of a Panamaian named Ronal Batista, (15-2, 9-1 #69). But Batista came out moving and firing while Martinez seemed to be in a shell. The announcers said he "seemed confused". It was a little like the first Louis-Conn fight where the underdog boxed rings around the favorite and got over-confident. First he lost a point for punching after the bell. It just seemed sun fun! Then Martinez decked him in the 7ths and that turned the fight around. Batista started backing up and Martinez went after him, winning four rounds in a row before the ref stopped it in 11th without complaint.

Canelo Alvarez came out in the middle of what looked like a Radio City Music Hall that seemed to contradict his business-like image. I'd never heard of John Ryder but it was clear when they stood together that Ryder was as big and strong as Canel was. He's been knocked out once, early in his career when he tried to campaign as a middle weight but making that weight was too much for him. He proved to be a good defensive fighter, with good head and body movement and the ability to block punches. What he was lacking was a jab or much genuine power. Canelo still has those things but his defense and stamina aren't what they once were. He's also become a one-punch at a time fighter, although Ryder forced him into that tonight with effective counter-punches that prevented any combinations. But Canelo is more inclined to that approach himself in recent bouts. He's never bene a middle weight Mike Tyson. He's won his bouts with a steady, unrelenting approach and an accumulation of blows. He's come to like hiding behind his peek-a-boo defense and throwing haymakers out of it and he's just not as good a fighter that way.

Still, after a nothing first round, I gave Canel four rounds in a row. In the third he broke Ryder's nose and he became choked with blood. In the fifth, he knocked him down with a body shot. Ryder grabbed the ropes but looked to his corner as if to ask "Do we really want to do this?" The decision was quick: he got up and started punching. Alvarez was unable to deliver the combinations to take him out. the rest of the fight became Ryder's steady flow of lesser punches vs. Alvarez's "let's end this now" punches. I gave Ryder three rounds, Canelo three rounds and had one even for a final score of 117-112. Two judges his it 118-109 and one had it 120-107. I didn't get the punch count but I guess it didn't matter.

They interviewed Eddie Hearn afterwards and he said Alvarez just wants to fight Bivol again, that the "Beterbiev fight" (against Bivol) was 'impossible" so that's the only one that makes any sense and he promised to make it happen. He didn't mention David Benavidez. This is what's wrong with boxing. I think Alvarez should consider retirement.

Olesander Guozdyk (19-1, 15-1KOs coming in and the #6 light heavy per BoxRec) pounded out Richards Bolotniks (19-6-1, 8-4 #27) in six rounds. I only caught the end.

Nathan DeVon Rodriguez, a sharp-looking 18 year old featherweight, (11-0 with 7KOs, #98 for now) had a tough fight with Alexander Mejia, (19-5, 8-2 #100). The difference was that Rodriguez showed more movement. Rodriquez won a split decision. When he reached his 20's, he'll probably join the crowd at lightweight. Keep an eye on him. he ahs all the moves and all the punches.

Stevie Spark, (16-2, 14-1 the #13junior welterweight, (he's listed asa super lightweight but it's the same thing), clearly had the better of a competitive bout with #10 Gabriel Gollaz (26-3-1, 16-1). All the rounds were completive but Sparks had a jab and Gollaz did not and I had sparks winning every round but the 6th, when Gollaz got him with a good body shot and knocked him to the canvas. Sparks got up, very shaky, but was able to avoid Gollaz for the rest of the round and got his jab going again. But Gollaz had something even more powerful than a jab going for him: he is a native and resident of Guadalajara, Mexico and that's where the fight was taking place. He won a split decision. :cool:

Julio Cesar Martinez, (19-2, 14-0, the #14 flyweight), of Mexico City was supposed to make short work of a Panamaian named Ronal Batista, (15-2, 9-1 #69). But Batista came out moving and firing while Martinez seemed to be in a shell. The announcers said he "seemed confused". It was a little like the first Louis-Conn fight where the underdog boxed rings around the favorite and got over-confident. First he lost a point for punching after the bell. It just seemed sun fun! Then Martinez decked him in the 7ths and that turned the fight around. Batista started backing up and Martinez went after him, winning four rounds in a row before the ref stopped it in 11th without complaint.

Canelo Alvarez came out in the middle of what looked like a Radio City Music Hall that seemed to contradict his business-like image. I'd never heard of John Ryder but it was clear when they stood together that Ryder was as big and strong as Canel was. He's been knocked out once, early in his career when he tried to campaign as a middle weight but making that weight was too much for him. He proved to be a good defensive fighter, with good head and body movement and the ability to block punches. What he was lacking was a jab or much genuine power. Canelo still has those things but his defense and stamina aren't what they once were. He's also become a one-punch at a time fighter, although Ryder forced him into that tonight with effective counter-punches that prevented any combinations. But Canelo is more inclined to that approach himself in recent bouts. He's never bene a middle weight Mike Tyson. He's won his bouts with a steady, unrelenting approach and an accumulation of blows. He's come to like hiding behind his peek-a-boo defense and throwing haymakers out of it and he's just not as good a fighter that way.

Still, after a nothing first round, I gave Canel four rounds in a row. In the third he broke Ryder's nose and he became choked with blood. In the fifth, he knocked him down with a body shot. Ryder grabbed the ropes but looked to his corner as if to ask "Do we really want to do this?" The decision was quick: he got up and started punching. Alvarez was unable to deliver the combinations to take him out. the rest of the fight became Ryder's steady flow of lesser punches vs. Alvarez's "let's end this now" punches. I gave Ryder three rounds, Canelo three rounds and had one even for a final score of 117-112. Two judges his it 118-109 and one had it 120-107. I didn't get the punch count but I guess it didn't matter.

They interviewed Eddie Hearn afterwards and he said Alvarez just wants to fight Bivol again, that the "Beterbiev fight" (against Bivol) was 'impossible" so that's the only one that makes any sense and he promised to make it happen. He didn't mention David Benavidez. This is what's wrong with boxing. I think Alvarez should consider retirement.
Thanks for the recap. There's no way I was paying the $ to watch that, more of a protest than anything. I hope Bivol sticks to his words saying why should he meet any demands of Canelo saying the fight has to be at 175 when he already beat him at that weight? Bivol wants it at 168 for all of Canelo's 4 titles. I hope Bivol kicks his ass again and takes his belts. Stupid how any fight is "impossible" to happen. Canelo should be mixing it up with Beterbiev, Benavidez and Charlo.

Last edited:
Thanks for the recap. There's no way I was paying the $ to watch that, more of a protest than anything. I hope Bivol sticks to his words saying why should he meet any demands of Canelo saying the fight has to be at 175 when he already beat him at that weight? Bivol wants it at 168 for all of Canelo's 4 titles. I hope Bivol kicks his ass again and takes his belts. Stupid how any fight is "impossible" to happen. Canelo should be mixing it up with Beterbiev, Benavidez and Charlo.

Alvarez vs. Benavidez and Bivol vs. Beterbiev, please.

One song you hear a lot in boxing arenas is the Mexican national anthem. I wodnered what the lyrics meant in English so I decided to look them up:

"Mexicans, at the cry of war,
assemble the steel and the bridle,
and the Earth trembles to its core
to the resounding roar of the cannon.

I
Encircle Oh Fatherland!, your temples with olives
peace by the divine archangel,
for in heaven your eternal destiny
by the finger of God it was written.
If, however, a foreign enemy would dare
to profane Your ground with their sole,
think, Oh beloved Fatherland!, that Heaven
has given a soldier in every son.

War, war! with no mercy to any who shall try
to tarnish the coats of arms of the Fatherland!
War, war! The national banners
Shall be drenched in the waves of blood.
War, war! On the mountain, in the valley,
The cannons thunder in horrid unison
and the sonorous echoes resound
with bellows of Union! Liberty!

O, Fatherland, if however your children, defenseless
With their necks bent beneath the yoke,
May your fields be watered with blood,
May their footsteps be printed with blood.
And your temples, palaces and towers
Shall collapse with horrid clamor,
And your ruins continue on, whispering:
Of one thousand heroes, the Fatherland once was.

Fatherland! Fatherland! Your children assure
to breathe until their last for your sake,
if the bugle with its bellicose accent
calls them together to battle with courage.
For you, the olive wreaths!
For them, a reminder of glory!
For you, a laurel of victory!
For them, a tomb of honor! "

Our own national anthem is sometimes criticized as a 'war anthem', (with 'America the Beautiful' as a 'peace anthem'). The Mexican anthem is truly a war anthem. Some of that is their history, which was torn by the US and French invasions of the mid 19th century, (when it was first composed). Some of it is their violent internal history in the subsequent decades. It could really use some references to the peacetime virtues of the country or to a bright future. But it does correctly represent the attitude of Mexican fighter as he waits for a bout to begin.

I didn’t buy the fight (pay the DAZN “xtra” PPV fee) and had to wait for a replay before I was comfortable commenting.

Alvarez is clearly in decline from peak, very evident during his last three performances. Reflexes are going and allot less head mvmt. And why he’s throwing home run bombs out of the peek-a-boo these days (as you identified above). And why he was fighting in his hometown against an opponent like Ryder on Cinco De Mayo…. The positives - that was a spectacular ring entrance by Canelo and Ryder proved he’s a tough SOB…. Alvarez did throw the RH more often than the previous few bouts (surgery after GGG 3).

WBC (the Suleiman “Cartel”) is driving the Bivol rematch at 175. Bivol wanted to go down to 168 for Canelo’s belts this time but the “Cartel” said no…. Propriety and Network Exclusivity is the bane of the sport today….

I might be in the minority, but I think this version of Canelo still beats the Benevidez and Charlo’s of the world at 168. But we aren’t gonna see either. I think we see the Bivol rematch at 175 this fall and the Russian wins again, paving the way for an Alvarez retirement….

Been a pro since the age of 15 or so, allot of fights, beat many good fighters, Undisputed at 168, multi weight/division champ. And among the highest paid athletes in the world…. Arguably a Top 3 (historically) ATG at 168. I’ll wish him and his (future) bust in Canastota well when he hangs it up….

I didn’t buy the fight (pay the DAZN “xtra” PPV fee) and had to wait for a replay before I was comfortable commenting.

Alvarez is clearly in decline from peak, very evident during his last three performances. Reflexes are going and allot less head mvmt. And why he’s throwing home run bombs out of the peek-a-boo these days (as you identified above). And why he was fighting in his hometown against an opponent like Ryder on Cinco De Mayo…. The positives - that was a spectacular ring entrance by Canelo and Ryder proved he’s a tough SOB…. Alvarez did throw the RH more often than the previous few bouts (surgery after GGG 3).

WBC (the Suleiman “Cartel”) is driving the Bivol rematch at 175. Bivol wanted to go down to 168 for Canelo’s belts this time but the “Cartel” said no…. Propriety and Network Exclusivity is the bane of the sport today….

I might be in the minority, but I think this version of Canelo still beats the Benevidez and Charlo’s of the world at 168. But we aren’t gonna see either. I think we see the Bivol rematch at 175 this fall and the Russian wins again, paving the way for an Alvarez retirement….

Been a pro since the age of 15 or so, allot of fights, beat many good fighters, Undisputed at 168, multi weight/division champ. And among the highest paid athletes in the world…. Arguably a Top 3 (historically) ATG at 168. I’ll wish him and his (future) bust in Canastota well when he hangs it up….

There was one bout where there was a disputed knockdown, (it might have been Spark vs. Gollaz), and Suleiman went over to the broadcasters to inform them that the initial decision had bene changed after a review of the replay. The color guy said that that was interesting because that's not the WBC's call - it's the Mexican commission - and they don't do replays. This implied that Suleiman was running the whole show and making his own rules.

There was one bout where there was a disputed knockdown, (it might have been Spark vs. Gollaz), and Suleiman went over to the broadcasters to inform them that the initial decision had bene changed after a review of the replay. The color guy said that that was interesting because that's not the WBC's call - it's the Mexican commission - and they don't do replays. This implied that Suleiman was running the whole show and making his own rules.
Yes, don’t usually see that….. And clearly “looks” corrupt/unethical when a “local” or “house” pug benefits….
Not to defend the “cartel,” but believe the the announcers were wrong - it is within Suleiman’s authority to “change” a ref’s call if the bout is “sanctioned” by the organizational body….
Seldom see it, but it has happened before.…. Watched the WBC do something similar to “save” Alfredo Escalera during a JrLight Title Fight in the late 70’s.
Who can forget Don King “muscling” the WBC about Tyson’s count in the aftermath of the Buster Douglas upset. If I recall, Suleiman (the Elder) announced the fight as a “N/C” early the next day (Buster dropped by an uppercut and received a “long” count a few rds before the finish). But, because everyone saw the result live on HBO, there was press blowback and he recanted the announcement…
Wonder what the “cartel” would have done during Tunney-Dempsey II? Dempsey (and Ruth) were the star celebrity athletes of the era. And Tex Ricker (Dempsey’s promoter) “owned” the sport at the time. Lol…..
Never a dull moment in boxing. More corrupt (in some ways) today than during the “Mob Era” of the 40’s, 50’s and early 60’s.

I watched tonight’s ESPN card, first on the network, then on PPV. Here were the match-up and stats, (from Boxrec):

Nico Ali Walsh #203LW 8-0 (5KO), 6-0 tall with a 74 inch reach.
Vs.
Danny Rosenberger #180LW 13-9 (4-1) 5-10 ? reach

Junto Nakatani #4JBW 24-0 (18) 5-7½ 67”
Vs.
Andrew Moloney #9JBW 25-2 (16) 5-5 65”

Raymond Muratella #40LW 17-0 (14) 5-8 ?
Vs.
Jeremiah Nakathia (unrated for some reason) 23-2 (19) ? ?

Oscar Valdez (unrated for some reason but ESPN has him #1JLW) 30-1 (23) 5-5½ 66”
Vs.
Adam Lopez #73JLW 16-4 (6-1) 5-8 69½

Devin Haney (has all the belts but Boxrec rated him #3LW behind Sakur Stevenson and Tank Davis -time to get it on!) 29-0 (15) 5-8 71”
Vs.
Vasyl Lomachenko #5LW 17-2 (11) 5-7 651/2”

Walsh was the bigger name being the grandson of Muhammad Ali and had the better record at 8-0 vs. 13-9 But Rosenberger fought more like Ali, with some of Floyd Mayweather added in. His constant foot and head movement totally confused Nico, who was stiff and never moved his head, causing him to absorb some hard shots. He was fortunate Danny didn’t have much power. Danny should have won easily but he had no shot at that and wound up with a ‘split draw’: one judge had it even and the two others had it for either fighter. Isn’t that convenient.

Junto Nakatani is a rising star who wants to follow in Naoya Inoue’s footsteps. He’s not that good, (“the Monster would have taken Moloney out early), but he’s very good. He’s tall for a bantam but skilled – good from distance but also able to win the infighting and tie his man up when needed – but he can sure punch. Moloney, who’s twin brother won the WBO Bantam title a week ago in Stockholm, would have been better off facing Inoue and getting KO’d early because he took awful punishment tonight. He was floored in the second round. Then both boxers drew blood with an accidental head but. Until the cornermen miraculously to patch them up, they both looked like their faces had been through a meatgrinder. Nakatani dominated round after round, in total control as the persistent Moloney kept getting inside and then losing the battle there, just as he was from distance. Finally, in the 6th and 7th rounds, the momentum seemed to change as Junto appeared to be tired and his punches lacked their previous force. Moloney seemed to be landing more punches. It was an illusion as Moloney then faded. In the 11th round he was decked again and the ref was close to stopping it. To Moloney’s credit, he kept coming forward and was even blocking punches, although he’d stopped throwing them, using all his energy for defense. His corner was considering not sending him out for the 12th and it would have been better if they hadn’t. Midway through the round, Junot ducked under a punch and threw a left hand that hit with such force the ‘thud ‘ could be heard all over the arena. Moloney went down like a felled tree and lay on the canvas making involuntary movements with his fists while his eyes glazed over. He was down for several minutes until they sat him up, then put him on a stool. He was on his way to the hospital after the fight. I hope he’s OK. You never know. The commentator said “you don’t ‘play’ boxing”. A friend of mine did some boxing while in the service and said he didn’t much like it. Hitting a man’s head, he told me, was like punching a cabbage.

Muratella made short work of Nakathila, the ref stopping it in the second round. Raymond moved better and punched straighter and Jeremiah kept his jaw too high. He might as well have been pointing to it.

Lopez was game and showed Valdez some movement but, in the words of Andre Ward, “Lopez was hitting Valdez with little brother shots and Valdez was hitting him with big brother shots – more direct with more power. Lopez held up pretty well but it was hard to give him a round. I the 10th round his nose exploded but he kept fighting on, although he fell down on his own twice. He was back on his feet at the final bell, so there’s that. “It’s a tough way to make a living.”

Haney-Lomachenko was a high-level fight. Haney was the larger man and had the advantage in reach, but also had to sweat himself down to this weight (this may be his last fight at 135 pounds). He was also the younger man by 11 years. Fights are fought from the ground up and this fight was all about footwork and distance. Haney tried backing up Loma in the early going. He was using his famous jab to set up one shot at a time. But he wasn’t moving his head enough and, after a couple of rounds, Loma timed his jab and responded with combinations. Haney changed strategy and maintained distance through lateral movement. He attacked when got an angle on Loma and won several rounds in a row, (although the rounds in this fight were very competitive, which creates a lot of different views on the outcome). The fight changed again in the 10th round when Loma unleashed a series of combinations which got Haney moving backwards, and holding on when Loma caught up with him. Loma’s hardest shots came early in the 11th. Then, midway through the 11th, he lost his aggressiveness and Haney started to peck away at him. Haney seems the more desperate fighter in the 12th, stood his ground and traded with Loma on at least even terms until the final bell.

I graded it 8 rounds for Haney to 4 for Loma, 116-112. That’s what one judge had it and the other two were 115-113, unanimous decision. They flashed the punch count numbers for a nano-second. They did show a punch count for round 11 of 2-20 for Loma, which is ridiculous, even though I agree he won the round. Max Kellerman had it 113-115 for Loma but noted that many rounds were so close it could have gone either way. He said that looks at each round and asks the question ”Who would I rather be? Personally, I wouldn’t want to be either one of them. It seems like it would hurt.

I graded it 8 rounds for Haney to 4 for Loma, 116-112.
Wow, very interesting. I definitely had it more tight than that, I did have Haney winning the 12th. As everyone's alluded to, the scoring was very difficult in this one, if the judges would've gave it to Loma, there would be no complaints from me.

Haney in his corner asking his dad what to do since Loma figured him out, and came at will with the straight left, was one of the most vulnerable moments I've seen from that level a fighter in a long time. His dad side stepped the concern and told him his bricks were heavier. He needed technical advice, not that.
Haney almost never throwing combos and fighting like there were bees swarming around his head in the later rounds was concerning to me.
He's very lucky, and he better go back watch the film and get some perspective and learn from this. He'll have to be a lot more versatile going forward. He doesn't look like the monster I thought he might be after Kambosos II. You see Stevenson jumped in the ring and his eyes lit up with this outcome. He said Loma won, even though in the pre fight, he said his $ was on Devin. All the competition saw chinks in the armour of the undisputed.

Wow, very interesting. I definitely had it more tight than that, I did have Haney winning the 12th. As everyone's alluded to, the scoring was very difficult in this one, if the judges would've gave it to Loma, there would be no complaints from me.

Haney in his corner asking his dad what to do since Loma figured him out, and came at will with the straight left, was one of the most vulnerable moments I've seen from that level a fighter in a long time. His dad side stepped the concern and told him his bricks were heavier. He needed technical advice, not that.
Haney almost never throwing combos and fighting like there were bees swarming around his head in the later rounds was concerning to me.
He's very lucky, and he better go back watch the film and get some perspective and learn from this. He'll have to be a lot more versatile going forward. He doesn't look like the monster I thought he might be after Kambosos II. You see Stevenson jumped in the ring and his eyes lit up with this outcome. He said Loma won, even though in the pre fight, he said his $ was on Devin. All the competition saw chinks in the armour of the undisputed.

The scoring in boxing doesn't nec3essaily reflect the closeness of the fight, although 116-112 isn't exactly a rout. You can have 12 close rounds, 6-8 of which could go either way, and come up with a score like that, (as the judges did: 116-112, 115-113 x2). You just watch the rounds and record who you think won them, subtract for knockdowns or point deductions, (there were none last night), and add them up. You don't go back and say, "gee this seemed like a closer fight than 116-112 so I'll go back and give Loma a couple more rounds to make my score look better".

A fascinating battle of high-level talents. Loma can be a test for any of them. Have him take on Shakur while Haney fights Davis and then the winners get together for a mega-fight!

Oh, I forgot. This is boxing...

The scoring in boxing doesn't nec3essaily reflect the closeness of the fight, although 116-112 isn't exactly a rout. You can have 12 close rounds, 6-8 of which could go either way, and come up with a score like that, (as the judges did: 116-112, 115-113 x2). You just watch the rounds and record who you think won them, subtract for knockdowns or point deductions, (there were none last night), and add them up. You don't go back and say, "gee this seemed like a closer fight than 116-112 so I'll go back and give Loma a couple more rounds to make my score look better".

A fascinating battle of high-level talents. Loma can be a test for any of them. Have him take on Shakur while Haney fights Davis and then the winners get together for a mega-fight!

Oh, I forgot. This is boxing...
I mean, I get how scoring works, I just thought (not just you), but when I heard and some others in my house also, the one judge had his card 116-112, that it was more than what I thought the fight was. I also know it was a very hard fight to score, so I'm not claiming it was a monumental thing I took issue with or anything.

Yeah, I feel like we'd be insanely lucky if we got Shakur vs Loma, and Haney v Davis and then the winners square off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom