Boxing | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Boxing

Well, the Canelo-Yildirim sparring session went as expected on DAZN tonight.
Predictable - nothing more than a stay busy fight.
Billy Joe Saunders should present a few more obstacles in May...

It was a classic 'Guy-you've-heard-of' vs. 'Guy-you-haven't-heard-of' bout that boxing gives us too much of. That plus all the 'TBA's plus four alphabet soup 'ruling bodies' and split divisions the means the sport attracts casual fans or general sports fans only occasionally. If there's a fight everybody wants to see, such as Mayweather-Pacquiao or now Crawford-Spence, it has to 'marinate' for a while or the decision-makers, (the boxer, his trainer and manager, the promoter the ruling bodies, the networks have to get over their feuds and figure out the money before it can happen.

In the meantime we get the best fighter in the world vs. a guy who forgot how to throw a punch and gave up on his chair. (He must be real popular back in Turkey right now - and the big Chinese guy must have fans in his country wondering if they want to board that train as well.) And other sports, including MMA, which i don't care for but have to admit is better run, suck in frustrated boxing fans.

I'll repeat my oft-made suggestion: have the networks get together to form an annual tournament for the championship in each of 10 divisions, (fly, bantam, feather, light, welter, middle, light heavy, middle heavy, heavy and super-heavy), featuring the 8 best fighters in each division. The quarter-finals would be in the spring, the semis in the summer and the finals in the fall, putting boxing on the annual sports calendar. Fights would come when the public wants to see them. Guys like Crawford and Spence might meet each other each year for several years in a row.

The current decision-makers would probably hold themselves out of this at the beginning to protect their power but the public would love it and so that's where the fame and the fortune would be obtainable in the future. if you build it, they will come.

I had the Oregon State-Colorado on the TV in one room and my computer on DAZN for the Gonzalez-Estrada bout in the next one. The result was a combination of confusion and excitement but I managed to score the bout. I had it for Gonzalez 116-133. He took over in the second round and dominated until Estrada turned it around in the 7th. Chocolatito made a comeback in in the 9ths and 10 round. Estrada won the 11ths and Gonzalez the final round. I had graded the 3rd even because Gonzalez dominated the first half of it and Estrada came on in the second half. The announcers were all about Chocolatitio in their commentary in that and most of the rounds. The color man had it 7-5 for him. I didn't catch the final of the TV scorer's card.

Gonzalez threw an incredible 1,317 punches (110 per round) and landed 30%, 391 punches, 33 per round. Estrada stood his ground against that and responded with 1,212 punches (101) and landed 26%, 314(26). The fighters showed incredible conditioning and durability to keep up that pace. Neither downed or even rocked the other, despite many punches landing flush. They just kept going and going like the fighters in a video game.

The thing about judging is that you can't tell how competitive a fight was by the scorecards. Just as you can have a World Series Sweep if the same team wins four extra inning games, you could , theoretically have a competitive boxing match that was 120-108, (12 rounds to none), if a judge felt that the same fighter had won all 12 competitive rounds. Scorecards can vary considerably even thought the perception of the judges wasn't far off. This was that kind of fight. One judge had it 115-113 for Gonzalez. the other two had it for Estrada 115-113 and 117-111.

The decision didn't seem too popular among the ringsiders and the social distancing crowd. The powers that be now have to decide if they want a rematch, (it would be the rubber match of a trilogy) or a match with the other title-holder, Sridsket Sor Rungvisai.

Just watched the highlights. Incredible fight! Gonna have to watch the full fight but based on what I saw I agree with the decision.

Just watched the highlights. Incredible fight! Gonna have to watch the full fight but based on what I saw I agree with the decision.

The highlights might have been edited in Estrada's favor because he got the win.

Last edited:
I had the Oregon State-Colorado on the TV in one room and my computer on DAZN for the Gonzalez-Estrada bout in the next one. The result was a combination of confusion and excitement but I managed to score the bout. I had it for Gonzalez 116-133. He took over in the second round and dominated until Estrada turned it around in the 7th. Chocolatito made a comeback in in the 9ths and 10 round. Estrada won the 11ths and Gonzalez the final round. I had graded the 3rd even because Gonzalez dominated the first half of it and Estrada came on in the second half. The announcers were all about Chocolatitio in their commentary in that and most of the rounds. The color man had it 7-5 for him. I didn't catch the final of the TV scorer's card.

Gonzalez threw an incredible 1,317 punches (110 per round) and landed 30%, 391 punches, 33 per round. Estrada stood his ground against that and responded with 1,212 punches (101) and landed 26%, 314(26). The fighters showed incredible conditioning and durability to keep up that pace. Neither downed or even rocked the other, despite many punches landing flush. They just kept going and going like the fighters in a video game.

The thing about judging is that you can't tell how competitive a fight was by the scorecards. Just as you can have a World Series Sweep if the same team wins four extra inning games, you could , theoretically have a competitive boxing match that was 120-108, (12 rounds to none), if a judge felt that the same fighter had won all 12 competitive rounds. Scorecards can vary considerably even thought the perception of the judges wasn't far off. This was that kind of fight. One judge had it 115-113 for Gonzalez. the other two had it for Estrada 115-113 and 117-111.

The decision didn't seem too popular among the ringsiders and the social distancing crowd. The powers that be now have to decide if they want a rematch, (it would be the rubber match of a trilogy) or a match with the other title-holder, Sridsket Sor Rungvisai.

Quite the action packed fight - lots of educated volume punching, infighting and very little clinching. Don’t see that as much in today’s prizefighting..
I scored it 115-113 (7-5) for Choclatito. Surprisingly, Roman (the older fighter) closed stronger. But coulda gone either way. 117-111 scorecard was bad (heard the judge may be suspended). Closer than their first fight (a few years ago) IMO. Gonzalez is hitting bigger guys at 115 and no longer seems to possess the fight changing “pega” he had at 112. Curiously, Estrada stopped going to the body after the 5th and settled for Choclatito’s head. Thought Roman made a nice, subtle adjustment after Estrada clearly won the 7th and 8th rds with increased volume. Increased his distance, fought off the back foot and countered with the lead right during each exchange thereafter.
Estrada never really had an answer for it (except to keep punching, which he did)...
Winner (Estrada) is contracted to fight Sor Rungvisai next (rubber match - one decision win apiece) later this summer on DAZN. Allot of depth in the Superflyweight Division right now - Choclatitio, Rungvisai (owns a KO win over Roman), Ioka, Cuadras, Moloney, Nietes, Cintron, Tanaka, Estrada. Personally, think the current WBO Champ Ioka may be the best of the bunch. Unlike the more glamorous divisions known to most current U.S. fight fans (135, 147, 160, Heavy), these Superfly’s fight each other regularly (they don’t just jaw at each other on social media or lock up in exclusive promotional stables). Usually more than just once.
That’s why I like watching them...

Quite the action packed fight - lots of educated volume punching, infighting and very little clinching. Don’t see that as much in today’s prizefighting..
I scored it 115-113 (7-5) for Choclatito. Surprisingly, Roman (the older fighter) closed stronger. But coulda gone either way. 117-111 scorecard was bad (heard the judge may be suspended). Closer than their first fight (a few years ago) IMO. Gonzalez is hitting bigger guys at 115 and no longer seems to possess the fight changing “pega” he had at 112. Curiously, Estrada stopped going to the body after the 5th and settled for Choclatito’s head. Thought Roman made a nice, subtle adjustment after Estrada clearly won the 7th and 8th rds with increased volume. Increased his distance, fought off the back foot and countered with the lead right during each exchange thereafter.
Estrada never really had an answer for it (except to keep punching, which he did)...
Winner (Estrada) is contracted to fight Sor Rungvisai next (rubber match - one decision win apiece) later this summer on DAZN. Allot of depth in the Superflyweight Division right now - Choclatitio, Rungvisai (owns a KO win over Roman), Ioka, Cuadras, Moloney, Nietes, Cintron, Tanaka, Estrada. Personally, think the current WBO Champ Ioka may be the best of the bunch. Unlike the more glamorous divisions known to most current U.S. fight fans (135, 147, 160, Heavy), these Superfly’s fight each other regularly (they don’t just jaw at each other on social media or lock up in exclusive promotional stables). Usually more than just once.
That’s why I like watching them...

Should Inoue, (one of my favorite fighters) be seeking out these guys or should he look above him rather than below in the divisions?

Should Inoue, (one of my favorite fighters) be seeking out these guys or should he look above him rather than below in the divisions?
I like Monster too. One of the Top P4P guys out there. Could be a generational talent...
Skill and stylistically, I’d love to see Sor Rungvisai or even Choclatito challenge him. The Thai might give Inoue more of a scrap - he’s a thumper and rough customer.
Unfortunately, Inoue is 118 (Bantamweight) and on the way higher (has the physique to carry more weight). Too big for the current 115 crop. Three lbs might not seem much, but the effects are amplified at the lower weights. Look at Gonzalez - he was once “Alexis Arguello“ at 112 and below but now lacks that kinda pop at 115. Hitting bigger and stronger guys. One of the Super Fly’s listed vs Monster would look like Spence vs Mikey Garcia. Garcia can fight and is skilled, but was not big or strong enough to function as more than a punching bag after a few rds against Errol...
Just a hunch, but believe Inoue is eyeing Featherweight in the next year or so to go after Rigondeaux when fans can attend again. In the meantime, heard Monster will take on a mandatory defense and then unify with Casimero (Filipino WBO Champ - a good, exciting fighter not quite in Monster’s class) this year.
Promoter and network politics (as always) are involved here too... Monster is an Arum guy. Most of the Super Fly’s are free agents or DAZN. That’s (one reason) why Top Rank is pushing Inoue up - Rigo (and Donaire) will do business with Arum...
What I’d like to see - Loma suck down to 126 and Monster meet him there. Both Top Rank, Loma is a natural Jr Light anyway, about the same height. I think Inoue could be Pacquiao 2.0 - start at Fly and ends up at Lightweight before he’s done...

I like Monster too. One of the Top P4P guys out there. Could be a generational talent...
Skill and stylistically, I’d love to see Sor Rungvisai or even Choclatito challenge him. The Thai might give Inoue more of a scrap - he’s a thumper and rough customer.
Unfortunately, Inoue is 118 (Bantamweight) and on the way higher (has the physique to carry more weight). Too big for the current 115 crop. Three lbs might not seem much, but the effects are amplified at the lower weights. Look at Gonzalez - he was once “Alexis Arguello“ at 112 and below but now lacks that kinda pop at 115. Hitting bigger and stronger guys. One of the Super Fly’s listed vs Monster would look like Spence vs Mikey Garcia. Garcia can fight and is skilled, but was not big or strong enough to function as more than a punching bag after a few rds against Errol...
Just a hunch, but believe Inoue is eyeing Featherweight in the next year or so to go after Rigondeaux when fans can attend again. In the meantime, heard Monster will take on a mandatory defense and then unify with Casimero (Filipino WBO Champ - a good, exciting fighter not quite in Monster’s class) this year.
Promoter and network politics (as always) are involved here too... Monster is an Arum guy. Most of the Super Fly’s are free agents or DAZN. That’s (one reason) why Top Rank is pushing Inoue up - Rigo (and Donaire) will do business with Arum...
What I’d like to see - Loma suck down to 126 and Monster meet him there. Both Top Rank, Loma is a natural Jr Light anyway, about the same height. I think Inoue could be Pacquiao 2.0 - start at Fly and ends up at Lightweight before he’s done...
I just think there are too many divisions and that it prevents fights we'd like to see. If you saw a street fight or a bar fight starting and somebody told you that one guy was 118 pounds and the other guy was 115 pounds, how much would that tell you?

I'd like to see the divisions recalibrated by some forumla that includes science with math so they they become progressively bigger at a specified rate, all the way from flyweight to (super) heavyweight. maybe even drop the divisional names and just have a weight limit for the title of a class. What we have has been put together piecemeal over the years and I'm not sure how much thought went into them.

I just think there are too many divisions and that it prevents fights we'd like to see. If you saw a street fight or a bar fight starting and somebody told you that one guy was 118 pounds and the other guy was 115 pounds, how much would that tell you?

I'd like to see the divisions recalibrated by some forumla that includes science with math so they they become progressively bigger at a specified rate, all the way from flyweight to (super) heavyweight. maybe even drop the divisional names and just have a weight limit for the title of a class. What we have has been put together piecemeal over the years and I'm not sure how much thought went into them.
Henry Armstrong fighting across four different weight classes simultaneously (Feather to Middle) walking around at about 135 ain’t happening today...

Too many divisions today - I’ll agree there. Sanctioning bodies (and promoters/networks) like the extra sanctioning fees and marketing (“this is for a championship”) narrative...

If king for a day, I’d scrap most of the “Jr” and/or “Super” divisions, raise the limit on a couple of categories and push Cruiser max from 200 to 210. Straw (110), Fly (115), Bantam (122), Feather (130), Light (140), Welter (152), Middle (165), Lt Heavy (180), Cruiser (210), Heavy.

One of my (personal) criteria for an all-time great boxer is the willingness and ability to jump weight categories, fight and defeat naturally bigger world class opponents. IMO, that’s what makes champs like Hammering Hank, Duran, Whitaker, RJJ and Manny extra special. Not many like them...

It looks like Fury-Joshua is signed for later this year.
Heavyweight Championship unification and an intriguing matchup.
So there is at least that...

Henry Armstrong fighting across four different weight classes simultaneously (Feather to Middle) walking around at about 135 ain’t happening today...

Too many divisions today - I’ll agree there. Sanctioning bodies (and promoters/networks) like the extra sanctioning fees and marketing (“this is for a championship”) narrative...

If king for a day, I’d scrap most of the “Jr” and/or “Super” divisions, raise the limit on a couple of categories and push Cruiser max from 200 to 210. Straw (110), Fly (115), Bantam (122), Feather (130), Light (140), Welter (152), Middle (165), Lt Heavy (180), Cruiser (210), Heavy.

One of my (personal) criteria for an all-time great boxer is the willingness and ability to jump weight categories, fight and defeat naturally bigger world class opponents. IMO, that’s what makes champs like Hammering Hank, Duran, Whitaker, RJJ and Manny extra special. Not many like them...

I'd got with 10 as well but I'd go Fly, Bantam, feather, Light, Welter, Middle, Light heavy, middle heavy, heavy and Super Heavy. I'd let scientists and mathematicians who are boxing fans figure out the weights. The problem is that the heavyweight division is allowed to grow and thus morphs into a different divisions. Nobody is a contender in that division who is the size of a Rocky Marciano, a Jack Dempsey or even a Joe Louis any more and even the Muhammed Alis, Sonny Listons and George Foremans would be punching upwards now.

Split divisions with split championships allow fighters to have their own fiefdoms so they don't feel compelled to fight each other. Put them all in the same full division fighting for one title and you'll see them in the ring together. Even better than that would be an annual tournament to determine the championship. Imagine Mayweather-Pacquaio on a yearly basis!

The sport may be moving (closer) to what you advocate than we realize. And it isn’t the WBC/WBA/IBF/WBO or promoters that is driving it.

It’s network competition for viewership.

I agree that the “culture” of high level pro boxing has changed. Influenced by several factors. But the biggest (IMO) is the money these top-level guys are paid via exclusive promotIonal contracts to be their “star” and what I term the “Mayweather effect” - minimize as much opponent risk as possible to keep the “0.” Undefeated and Title = A Side in contract and fight negotiations. Promoter and fighter want to protect their “brand” for self interest purposes.

No more HBO broadcast monopoly. PromotIonal stables are now linked to exclusive platforms (DAZN, Showtime, FOX, ESPN, now NBCSN getting in). Promoters are (over) paying to keep fighters in their stables due to competition from other promoters. The promoters (PBC and DAZN most prominently) are backed by investment groups. Side note - There were rumors Haymon almost went under a few years ago, but was able to secure another marker. Promoters need more network $ to keep fighters and investment partners paid and profitable.

I believe we are nearing the end of a period (post HBO decision to drop boxing in 2018) when individual promoters were trying to build a “talent monopoly” to dominate the sport. They’ve reached stalemate (so-to-speak). Just like Arum and King did in the late 70’s and 80’s. They are gonna have to “play their Ace’s” because the networks will not keep paying premium $ to broadcast without the promise of a big fight to draw high level viewership (DAZN’s original $130 M contract with Canelo fell apart because Alvarez wouldn’t commit to third GGG fight - DAZN’s payoff so-to-speak). And the biggest opponents in many weight classifications are located in other stables. Broadcast mediums are competing with each other now (HBO had little to no competition - they demanded promoters provide big matchups or no broadcast). Promoters are gonna need to work together and make big $ fights or risk bankruptcy. I also think COVID shutdowns (no live gates for a year, relying on networks to subsidize) could accelerate this dynamic.

Bottom Line - I think network demand for viewership (better matchups) in exchange for premium broadcast fees will break this log jam (think it’s starting - looks like we have Fury/Joshua). Al tried to “Dana White” the sport but failed. DAZN and PBC (especially) overpaid upfront contracts and will need to recoup the investment eventually. The only way to do this (at this point) is to give the networks (and fans) what they’ll pay for and watch.

The sport may be moving (closer) to what you advocate than we realize. And it isn’t the WBC/WBA/IBF/WBO or promoters that is driving it.

It’s network competition for viewership.

I agree that the “culture” of high level pro boxing has changed. Influenced by several factors. But the biggest (IMO) is the money these top-level guys are paid via exclusive promotIonal contracts to be their “star” and what I term the “Mayweather effect” - minimize as much opponent risk as possible to keep the “0.” Undefeated and Title = A Side in contract and fight negotiations. Promoter and fighter want to protect their “brand” for self interest purposes.

No more HBO broadcast monopoly. PromotIonal stables are now linked to exclusive platforms (DAZN, Showtime, FOX, ESPN, now NBCSN getting in). Promoters are (over) paying to keep fighters in their stables due to competition from other promoters. The promoters (PBC and DAZN most prominently) are backed by investment groups. Side note - There were rumors Haymon almost went under a few years ago, but was able to secure another marker. Promoters need more network $ to keep fighters and investment partners paid and profitable.

I believe we are nearing the end of a period (post HBO decision to drop boxing in 2018) when individual promoters were trying to build a “talent monopoly” to dominate the sport. They’ve reached stalemate (so-to-speak). Just like Arum and King did in the late 70’s and 80’s. They are gonna have to “play their Ace’s” because the networks will not keep paying premium $ to broadcast without the promise of a big fight to draw high level viewership (DAZN’s original $130 M contract with Canelo fell apart because Alvarez wouldn’t commit to third GGG fight - DAZN’s payoff so-to-speak). And the biggest opponents in many weight classifications are located in other stables. Broadcast mediums are competing with each other now (HBO had little to no competition - they demanded promoters provide big matchups or no broadcast). Promoters are gonna need to work together and make big $ fights or risk bankruptcy. I also think COVID shutdowns (no live gates for a year, relying on networks to subsidize) could accelerate this dynamic.

Bottom Line - I think network demand for viewership (better matchups) in exchange for premium broadcast fees will break this log jam (think it’s starting - looks like we have Fury/Joshua). Al tried to “Dana White” the sport but failed. DAZN and PBC (especially) overpaid upfront contracts and will need to recoup the investment eventually. The only way to do this (at this point) is to give the networks (and fans) what they’ll pay for and watch.

The inmates have been running the asylum. That's the problem.

Yup. I don’t like it either, but do understand why.

IMO, the primary reason Peter Nelson took HBO out of the business. But remember, HBO killed off USA and ESPN’s Tues and Fri Night fights respectively by the 90’s/turn of century. A little different, but some similarities. Same thing is gonna happen to Dana White and UFC eventually...

When you pay guys to fight easier opponents, they are gonna do so. They are not incentivized to fight better boxers or more often. And you can always “get them a title” by creating one with the Alphabet organizations.

When you “blurr” the distinction between promotion and management (and pay off the state commissions), that kills competition too. One of the reasons Arum is always looking overseas for venues (like he did with Europe in the 70’s). He makes money off the gate, not from an investor conglomerate.

If I had to put “blame” for this mess on one person or organization, it is Al. He won’t let his top boys (Spence or Tank) fight Arum (Crawford, Teo, Loma, Shakur) or Oscar guys (Garcia). I’ve speculated that Al was unhappy with the Fury/Wilder promotion (and outcome) - lost business leverage in the Heavy Division and took it personally. Top Rank, Oscar, even Hearn will work together to put on a big fight (Fury/Joshua is probably gonna happen - because Arum get’s his Wembley gate and Hearn get’s the stream platform). Ultimately, I think PBC will die ”of natural causes“ when they cannot pay fighters enough to stay home and fight the same guys over and over again within a small stable.

In the meantime, Errol Spence will burn the rest of his physical prime fighting guys like Thurman and Charlo at 156. Crawford will end up with the young guns - Vergil Ortiz, Ennis, or maybe even Teo. If Crawford and Spence don’t meet (soon), that’s how they will ultimately be remembered. No risk it, no ”All Time Great” biscuit...

Well, Demond Nicholson survived the first round against Edgar Berlanga, and the second and the third and the fourth and the fifth and the sixth and the seventh and, (barely) the 8th. He used safety-first tactics to try to avoid Berlanga's big punches, including bending down. Berlanga was patient and basically figured his opponent out. he still managed to score four knockdowns, the biggest with 10 seconds left in the fight. Nicholson managed to get up at the bell to about the KO but lost the one-sided decision. Bberlanga didn't looks like an irresistible force but probably learned more in this fight than in his 16 first round knockouts, (which lasted longer than this fight by 2 minutes).

Emanuel Navarrete's TKO victory over Christopher Diaz was a heck of a fight. Diaz was over-matched but game all the way, often putting Navarette on the defensive with straight-as-an-arrow flurries that did little damage but scored points. Navarette was just a bigger, more powerful fighter who rocked Diaz when he hit him solidly. But Diaz took it until he got slammed to the canvas in the final minute and his corner indicated they wanted it to stop, (and good for them because the referee was an idiot). I was worried about Diaz because the fights where fighters really get hurt are not the early knock-outs: it's the highly competitive fights where one guy is just out-gunned and takes extended punishment as a result. But he appeared to be OK after the bout and the two men hugged each other in Diaz' corner while the commentators praised both the fighters and the fight itself.

They wondered what Navarette, who is 33-1 and hasn't lost in 9 years should do for his next opponent. I thought immediately of one of my favorite fighters, Japan's Naoya Inoue, the undefeated bantamweight champ, who is always looking for a creditable opponent or Rey Vargas, the unbeaten junior featherweight champ. Navarette has a co-champ in Gary Russell, who also has one defeat - to Lomachenko, 7 years ago. But Navarette looked too big to be a featherweight anymore and, per ESPN, he's looking to joining the lightweight wars, perhaps starting with Shakur Stevenson.

There are some great fights ahead, which is good because the current schedule is kind of threadbare once we get past Canelo-Alvarez vs. Saunders next month.
Boxing schedule (espn.com)

Well, Demond Nicholson survived the first round against Edgar Berlanga, and the second and the third and the fourth and the fifth and the sixth and the seventh and, (barely) the 8th. He used safety-first tactics to try to avoid Berlanga's big punches, including bending down. Berlanga was patient and basically figured his opponent out. he still managed to score four knockdowns, the biggest with 10 seconds left in the fight. Nicholson managed to get up at the bell to about the KO but lost the one-sided decision. Bberlanga didn't looks like an irresistible force but probably learned more in this fight than in his 16 first round knockouts, (which lasted longer than this fight by 2 minutes).
Berlanga needed the rds and Nicholson gave him some work. Although he (Nicholson) never set down on his punches after getting decked by that short LH behind the ear in the 2nd.
Edgar does some things well (I like placement on his short LH, has better hand speed/timing than I thought, good counterpuncher), but needs to go back to the gym and refine his craft before taking on a real world class contender. Needs to diversify his attack (always initiates with a lunging 1-2), neglects the body, not much inside game or uppercut, didn’t throw many straight punches down the middle when the openings were there for it. Numbing power and strength make him fun to watch though.
If he ever learns to throw combinations and develops a body attack, he’ll be special...

Emanuel Navarrete's TKO victory over Christopher Diaz was a heck of a fight. Diaz was over-matched but game all the way, often putting Navarette on the defensive with straight-as-an-arrow flurries that did little damage but scored points. Navarette was just a bigger, more powerful fighter who rocked Diaz when he hit him solidly. But Diaz took it until he got slammed to the canvas in the final minute and his corner indicated they wanted it to stop, (and good for them because the referee was an idiot). I was worried about Diaz because the fights where fighters really get hurt are not the early knock-outs: it's the highly competitive fights where one guy is just out-gunned and takes extended punishment as a result. But he appeared to be OK after the bout and the two men hugged each other in Diaz' corner while the commentators praised both the fighters and the fight itself.

They wondered what Navarette, who is 33-1 and hasn't lost in 9 years should do for his next opponent. I thought immediately of one of my favorite fighters, Japan's Naoya Inoue, the undefeated bantamweight champ, who is always looking for a creditable opponent or Rey Vargas, the unbeaten junior featherweight champ. Navarette has a co-champ in Gary Russell, who also has one defeat - to Lomachenko, 7 years ago. But Navarette looked too big to be a featherweight anymore and, per ESPN, he's looking to joining the lightweight wars, perhaps starting with Shakur Stevenson.

There are some great fights ahead, which is good because the current schedule is kind of threadbare once we get past Canelo-Alvarez vs. Saunders next month.
Boxing schedule (espn.com)
Haven’t watched “El Vaquero” since he thumped Dogboe in their rematch a couple of years ago - he’s improved.
Has a little “Salvador Sanchez” in him - uses that insane reach to deliver unexpected punches from funky angles. And they land... That knockdown in the 4th with an awkward lead uppercut was Roy Jones-esq... Can’t teach it - God-given reflexes, balance and timing.
You’re right - beating like that can take years off a fighter‘s career. Diaz was thumped from up close, mid-range and distance. Corner or ref coulda pulled Diaz out after the 8th with no shame. Ref was quasi negligent there in the final stanza. Usually not much quit in a Mexican/PR matchup... I admire the “fight culture” of both locations - boxing is still viewed as a blood sport.
Vargas and Russell are both now PBC - heard rumblings they are scheduled for a get-together later this year. Russell only seems to fight 1x per year anyway now that he’s with Al... IMO, like so many others in that stable.
Me thinks Navarrete and Oscar Valdez at 130 would be a fascinating matchup. Both work for Bob, so the politics works too.

A night of weird endings on DAZN. First Nagy Aguilera quits against Frank Sanchez, claiming a foul and flopping all over the place. The punch he complained about clipped his shoulder and went around the back of his head without actually impacting the head. After the fight he claimed a shoulder injury and complained that Sanchez had been hitting him in the shoulder the whole fight. I didn't know that was illegal. Aguilera walked off to a chorus of boos.

Then Kieron Conway arguably loses every round but one to Souleymane Cissokho. But in that round, he hit him right on the eye and decked him. The commentators said that the two most painful punches to take are to the liver and directly to the eye. But Conway was unable to follow up. One judge had the fight 117-112 for Conway and the color guy said he agreed with that until the blow-by-blow guy told him that card was for Conway, not Cisskho.

Elwin Soto vs. Katsunari Takayama was a classic heavy puncher vs. volume puncher fight. How do you judge it? We didn't have to. Soto blocked most of Takayama's punches but not all. Still; they seemed to have little impact on him until he began to slow down in the middle of the fight. Soto's punches drove Takayama back every time he landed them, again until the middle of the fight. Suddenly Soto lost aggressiveness and steam on his punches. Takayama seemed to have turned the fight around until Soto got the better of an exchange in round 9. It didn't seem more significant than any of their other exchanges during the fight but the referee suddenly stepped in and declared Soto the winner. Takayama complained loudly and even put on a shadowboxing display for the fans to show he was ready to keep going before exiting to the cheers of the crowd.

In the finale, I thought Billy Joe Saunders, an excellent boxer, would give Canelo Alvarez some trouble but that he lacked the firepower to win the fight. That was mostly right. Saunders was very cautious in the early rounds, using the 22 foot ring he had demanded to keep his distance. Canelo likes to counter-punch, catching his opponent coming in or after a miss so he had trouble exerting control of the fight. But the salient thing is that his punches knocked Saunders backwards while Saunders' punches had little impact on Canelo. In the middle of the fight, Saunders relaxed and even got a little cocky, lowering his hands and punching from his hips. That somehow seemed to work and he was able to bother Alvarez with some swift combinations. Canelo seemed confused as to how to attack him. I gave Saunders the 5th round. Then Canelo decided to really go after him and began knocking Saunders around. He even motioned to his fans, who had filled Jerry Jones' massive edifice, to make some noise. In the eighth round, Saunders was clearly hurt and started looking for a place to hide but even in his 22 foot ring, there was none. People were shocked when Saunders didn't come out for the 9th round. but Canelo wasn't: he later said he knew he'd "broken his cheek". it was the same thing that happened to Kell Brook against Golovkin and Spence: a broken orbital bone. You can't keep fighting when they break your face.

Alvarez is now looking to fight Caleb Plant and unite all the super middle titles, (they've never been held by one man: modern boxing :mad:). Failing that, he's now willing to entertain a third fight with GGG. he's running out of credible opponents.

Last edited:
A night of weird endings on DAZN. First Nagy Aguilera quits against Frank Sanchez, claiming a foul and flopping all over the place. The punch he complained about clipped his shoulder and went around the back of his head without actually impacting the head. After the bought he claims a shoulder injury and complained that Sanchez had been hitting him in the shoulder the whole fight. I didn't know that was illegal. Aguilera walked off to a chorus of boos.

Then Kieron Conway arguably loses every round but one to Souleymane Cissokho. But in that round, he hit him right on the eye and decked him. The commentators said that the two most painful punches to take are to the liver and directly to the eye. But Conway was unable to follow up. One judge had the fight 117-112 for Conway and the color guy said he agreed with that until the blow-by-blow guy told him that card was for Conway, not Cisskho.

Elwin Soto vs. Katsunari Takayama was a classic heavy puncher vs. volume puncher fight. How do you judge it? We didn't have to. Soto blocked most of Takayama's punches but not all. Still; they seemed to have little impact on him until he began to slow down in the middle of the fight. Soto's punches drove Takayama back every time he landed them, again until the middle of the fight. Suddenly Soto lost aggressiveness and steam on his punches. Takayama seemed to have turned the fight around until Soto got the better of an exchange in round 9. it didn't seem more significant than any of their other exchanges during the fight but the referee suddenly stepped in and declared Soto the winner. Takayama complained loudly and even put on a shadowboxing display for the fans to show he was ready to keep going before exiting to the cheers of the crowd.

In the finale, I tho0ught Billy Joe Saunders, an excellent boxer, would give Canelo Alvarez some trouble but that he lacked the firepower to win the fight. That was mostly right. Saunders was very cautious in the early rounds, using the 22 foot ring he had demanded to keep his distance. Canelo likes to counter-punch, catching his opponent coming in or after amiss so he had trouble exerting control of the fight. But the salient thing is that his punches knocked Saunders backwards while Saunders' punches had little impact on Canelo. In the middle of the fight, Saunders relaxed and even got a little cocky, lowering his hands and punching from his hips. That somehow seemed to work and he was able to bother Alvarez with some swift combination. Canelo seemed confused as to how to attack him. I gave Saunders the 5th round. Then Canelo decided to really go after him and began knocking Saunders around. He even motioned to his fans, who had filled Jerry Jones' massive edifice, to make some noise. In the eight round, Saunders was clearly hurt and started looking for a place to hide but even in his 22 foot ring, there was none. people were shocked when Saunders didn't come out for the 9th round. but Canelo wasn't: he later said he knew he's "broken his check". it was the same thing that happened to Kell Brook against Golovkin and Spence: a broken orbital bone. You can't keep fighting when they break your face.

Alvarez is now looking to fight Caleb Plant and unit all the Super middle titles, (they've never been held by one man: modern boxing :mad:). Failing that, he's now willing to entertain a third fight with GGG. he's running out of credible opponents.
Nice to see a large live crowd at a big fight again. Been awhile...

That Soto stoppage was bogus. Takayama deserved to finish the fight. Laurence Cole has been an inconsistently (bad) ref for many years.

Like you predicted, Main Event unfolded as suspected. BJS is not in Canelo’s class. But not a bum. Gave Canelo some work with educated punching and angles, but lacked the firepower to slow Alvarez down. Canelo broke Saunders down to the body early and was angling to close the show down the stretch before the corner stopped it. Nice uppercut that broke BJS’ cheek - Canelo was waiting for it.

If PBC let’s Plant fight Canelo in Sept (not so sure Al will), I suspect we‘ll see a similar result. Same with Boo Boo (made for a better show in the post fight presser than I suspect he would in the ring). I think the most formidable challenger for Canelo at 168 is Benevidez (although not the biggest $ fight and I’d still favor Alvarez). Maybe Hearn can push GGG up to 168 for a trilogy. Maybe Bivol down to 168. Anyway, I respect that Canelo fights often (3x in the last six months). More than the so-called other P4P superstars do.

Don Griffin makes my bad judge list that I keep on my laptop. How can you possibly score that 97-92 for Conway? Then the Soto stoppage could be the worst I've seen in a decade. I hope DAZN goes out of business soon, can't stand anything about them. The superbowl caliber intros have to stop.
As soon as I heard this Saunders fight was made, I didn't blink an eye and said that Canelo would win easily. My theory of real fighters here fighting another undefeated Euro that packed his resume across the pond and coming over here, would have the same result as 99% of the rest. It might not have been as easy as I thought, but he couldn't hurt Canelo anyways. This division has no competition outside of Benevidez. People that asked me last night who can have a shot at beating him, I said Benevidez, Charlo, Bivol. Canelo would be favored in all of those, but honestly I'm getting tired of watching Canelo fight sub par comp. Plant isn't on Canelo's level either.

Lightweights with goose eggs:

Teofimo Lopez 16-0

Gervonta Davis 24-0

Ryan Garcia 21-0

Devin Haney 25-0

George Kambosis 19-0

Oscar Valdez 29-0

Shakur Stevenson 15-0

Chris Colbert 15-0

Who keeps their goose-egg the longest?

If they had a tournament, how would you seed them?

Lightweights with goose eggs:

Teofimo Lopez 16-0

Gervonta Davis 24-0

Ryan Garcia 21-0

Devin Haney 25-0

George Kambosis 19-0

Oscar Valdez 29-0

Shakur Stevenson 15-0

Chris Colbert 15-0

Who keeps their goose-egg the longest?

If they had a tournament, how would you seed them?

Ooh that's a good question. I have to go with the better power punchers which so happen to have the most experience in their level of competition, Lopez and Davis and Valdez. I'm not a big fan of Garcia's game right now. I don't know much about Kambosis other than he's my barbers favorite fighter right now. Haney and Stevenson are very good, but can they match up with the heavier hitters? Colbert is much the same.
It all depends on who moves up in weight class and who fights the top fighters. I'll still ride with my guy Lopez. Btw, did you guys hear that he got ko'd twice in sparring recently by Jose Valenzuela? He's 8-0 now and his trainer is Benevidez Sr.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom