Boxing | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Boxing

There goes July’s biggest fight. If Pac/Spence is cancelled next month (promotional lawsuit pending), then I’ll really be upset….

While I’m not privy to the details, I find it amazing that Fury wasn’t completely vax’d (read he took the 1st, then blew off the 2nd) with such a big fight on the line. Heck, Teo Lopez (same promotional stable) just caught the virus and was forced to postpone his title defense.

While I’m not a conspiracy theorist, I heard the fight wasn’t selling as well as TR wanted. Pushing it back until Oct might generate a larger gate (will now follow, vice precede, Joshua/Usyk)…. Or give Bob more time to negotiate the “Wilder step-aside buyout” he was planning during the original Joshua negotiation… Then again, maybe Tyson wasn’t prepared and this was another way to give him more gym time…. Or screw with Wilder’s prep (and psyche)…. Who knows. I’m sure I could think of more if I really put my head to it - Lol….

Most of all, I’m disappointed that we’re further away from an Undisputed Heavyweight Champ. Winners of Fury/Wilder and Joshua/Usyk probably won’t meet until early Summer 22 now. Unfortunate….

What a sports day. Rooting for Jordan Spieth in the British Open - he was tied with two holes to go, then had two straight bogies, the last on a missed 1 1/2 footer, and wound up three down. Flipping back and forth between the boxing and the NBA game while keeping track of the Mets- what station were they on? I had to check the ESPN website. they were up 6-0 going into the 8th inning when Lugo gave up 5 runs and Diaz 4 on a walk-off grand slam. Ugh and double ugh! Somehow I also kept track of what was going on with Showtime's boxing, although I only bothered to score the Charlo fight.

The boxing featured three action-packed fights. if there was a theme, it's that combination punching beats going for the big one, especially if they are still standing there after the big one. The first fight was between Amilcar Vidal and Immanuwel Aleem, middleweights. it's was Vidal's first fight in this country and he had an undefeated record with a high knock-out percentage but he was looking for a reputation. Aleem was a veteran who needed a win and almost got it. He out-boxed the bigger Vidal in the early rounds and then traded with him at close range, contrary to his corner's instruction to move and box. Vidal had hoped for an early knockout and he landed a lot of good punches over the course of the fight but seemed unable to hurt Aleem, which is why he was willing to trade with the bigger opponent. Aleem had the faster hands and I thought he landed the greater number of punches, (he couldn't hurt Vidal, either). Vidal covered up and waited for Aleem to stop punching to get his own shots off. But the judges saw Vidal as the winner, not an outrageous decision but a questionable one. Neither man looked like a major contender but it seems anyone can get some kind of a title these days so who knows?

Rolando Romero vs. Anthony Yigit, lightweights: Romero kept his hands low but avoided most of Vigit's punches and stuck out his jab as a rangefinder and threw the right as if he wanted to punch a hole in the wall. Vigit recoiled when he got hit but stayed upright until late in the fight. He got some occasional shots in by himself. Romero became frustrated that Vigit wouldn't go down and started fouling him with a low blow, an elbow or simply by pushing him down. the referee kept warning him but didn't disqualify him. Romero hit Vigit with a legal shot a split second before the bell for the 5th round and decked him. Vigit never really recovered and Romeo really went after him. Vigit went down a couple more times but was counted out on his feet with a bloodied face and nose in the 7th. he's no contender either but Romero might be if he keeps his dukes up and reads the rule book. Vigit calls himself a "Muslim Jew" (?), and speaks a bunch of languages but can't punch in any of them.

Brian Castano proved hard to handle for Jermell Charlo. He's a shorter, stockier fighter but he has quick hands and some power. He throws a mean double-hook, the second one almost always landing on Charlo. He reminded me a bit of Andy Ruiz against Anthony Joshua when Joshua closed in for what he tho9ught was the kill and got stung by Ruiz's surprising hand speed and power. Castano is a much better fighter than Ruiz, however. Charlo, likes his brother, likes to take his time to size up an opponent and gives away too many early rounds. He fights off a power jab and right cross but settles for counter-punching too much and allowed Castano to back him into the ropes too much. Castano came out as the more aggressive fighter but Charlo hurt him with a flurry in the second round that put him on the defensive. Then Castano hurt Charlo that that double hook in the third and seemed to take over the fight, repeatedly backing Charlo into the ropes and throwing combinations. Charlo's corner kept telling Charlo to stay in the center of the ring, use the jab to create distance and work his other punches off of that. He finally listened to them and again hut Castano in the 10th, getting him to dance away from his punches and keeping him on the defensive. it was close to a 10-8 no knock-down round and you allow for that. Charlo seemed to be taking the 11th round off when he could ill afford to but rallied with combinations at the end that rocked Castano again. Then he clearly won the 12th round. I had it 116-114 for Charlo. One judge had it 117-11 for him. Anther had it 114-113 for Castano and the other had it even at 114-114. So the 154 pound crown is still not united, (Charlo has 3 belts, Castano one: remember when we had one champion in each division? Neither do I.) A rematch seems inevitable and it should be quite a battle.

What a sports day. Rooting for Jordan Spieth in the British Open - he was tied with two holes to go, then had two straight bogies, the last on a missed 1 1/2 footer, and wound up three down. Flipping back and forth between the boxing and the NBA game while keeping track of the Mets- what station were they on? I had to check the ESPN website. they were up 6-0 going into the 8th inning when Lugo gave up 5 runs and Diaz 4 on a walk-off grand slam. Ugh and double ugh! Somehow I also kept track of what was going on with Showtime's boxing, although I only bothered to score the Charlo fight.

The boxing featured three action-packed fights. if there was a theme, it's that combination punching beats going for the big one, especially if they are still standing there after the big one. The first fight was between Amilcar Vidal and Immanuwel Aleem, middleweights. it's was Vidal's first fight in this country and he had an undefeated record with a high knock-out percentage but he was looking for a reputation. Aleem was a veteran who needed a win and almost got it. He out-boxed the bigger Vidal in the early rounds and then traded with him at close range, contrary to his corner's instruction to move and box. Vidal had hoped for an early knockout and he landed a lot of good punches over the course of the fight but seemed unable to hurt Aleem, which is why he was willing to trade with the bigger opponent. Aleem had the faster hands and I thought he landed the greater number of punches, (he couldn't hurt Vidal, either). Vidal covered up and waited for Aleem to stop punching to get his own shots off. But the judges saw Vidal as the winner, not an outrageous decision but a questionable one. Neither man looked like a major contender but it seems anyone can get some kind of a title these days so who knows?

Rolando Romero vs. Anthony Yigit, lightweights: Romero kept his hands low but avoided most of Vigit's punches and stuck out his jab as a rangefinder and threw the right as if he wanted to punch a hole in the wall. Vigit recoiled when he got hit but stayed upright until late in the fight. He got some occasional shots in by himself. Romero became frustrated that Vigit wouldn't go down and started fouling him with a low blow, an elbow or simply by pushing him down. the referee kept warning him but didn't disqualify him. Romero hit Vigit with a legal shot a split second before the bell for the 5th round and decked him. Vigit never really recovered and Romeo really went after him. Vigit went down a couple more times but was counted out on his feet with a bloodied face and nose in the 7th. he's no contender either but Romero might be if he keeps his dukes up and reads the rule book. Vigit calls himself a "Muslim Jew" (?), and speaks a bunch of languages but can't punch in any of them.

Brian Castano proved hard to handle for Jermell Charlo. He's a shorter, stockier fighter but he has quick hands and some power. He throws a mean double-hook, the second one almost always landing on Charlo. He reminded me a bit of Andy Ruiz against Anthony Joshua when Joshua closed in for what he tho9ught was the kill and got stung by Ruiz's surprising hand speed and power. Castano is a much better fighter than Ruiz, however. Charlo, likes his brother, likes to take his time to size up an opponent and gives away too many early rounds. He fights off a power jab and right cross but settles for counter-punching too much and allowed Castano to back him into the ropes too much. Castano came out as the more aggressive fighter but Charlo hurt him with a flurry in the second round that put him on the defensive. Then Castano hurt Charlo that that double hook in the third and seemed to take over the fight, repeatedly backing Charlo into the ropes and throwing combinations. Charlo's corner kept telling Charlo to stay in the center of the ring, use the jab to create distance and work his other punches off of that. He finally listened to them and again hut Castano in the 10th, getting him to dance away from his punches and keeping him on the defensive. it was close to a 10-8 no knock-down round and you allow for that. Charlo seemed to be taking the 11th round off when he could ill afford to but rallied with combinations at the end that rocked Castano again. Then he clearly won the 12th round. I had it 116-114 for Charlo. One judge had it 117-11 for him. Anther had it 114-113 for Castano and the other had it even at 114-114. So the 154 pound crown is still not united, (Charlo has 3 belts, Castano one: remember when we had one champion in each division? Neither do I.) A rematch seems inevitable and it should be quite a battle.
I thought Castano edged it 115-113. Executed a very disciplined fight plan. As you noted, effectively doubled a short left hook, economized volume to limit Charlo’s counterpunching opportunities and stayed vertical (behind the knees and under the hips, didn’t lean forward) to neutralize Jermell’s uppercut. While not flashy, very technically sound. I like your comparison to Andy Ruiz. Brian’s style (in this fight) shared similar characteristics.

IMO, both Charlo’s become vulnerable when they fail to use their jab and control distance. And Jermell made himself vulnerable all night. Did little to break down his opponent or create opportunities (minimal leading, few combinations, no body work). Castano has a high, square guard. Thought Charlo’s strategy would attack the ribs and belt line. But he showed no interest in going there. His entire game plan was to counter Castano into a KO. Almost worked in the 2nd and 10th. But left him outworked, out boxed and out-landed during significant portions of the fight.

I have no quibbles with the decision (overall) - draw fair enough. Nelson Vasquez’s 117-111 card was ridiculous - he (and Adele Byrd and few others) should never judge a major fight again. I heard “internet rumors” that Crawford was leaving Top Rank in Oct, preparing to join PBC and planning a jump to 154 for a Charlo bout. Sincerely doubt it…. And since Al Haymon doesn’t let his fighters box others from different stables, a Castaneda rematch makes sense for PBC.

I thought Castano edged it 115-113. Executed a very disciplined fight plan
This is exactly where I was at, even mentioned at least twice how disciplined Castano was. Just finished watching the recording, been in the mountains all weekend. Vasquez made my bad judge list, congrats. Both Charlo's in their last fights looked the same; not dynamic enough and somehow lack of cardio or something? Something just seems off. Also the whole looking for the big payday punch isn't going to cut it against top competition.

Finally got to watch some Olympic boxing. I still remember the stirring night in Montreal in 1976 when 5 Americans won gold, including Sugar Ray Leonard and the Spinks brothers. there hasn't been an American goal medalist since Andre Ward in Athens in 2004 and it's not a sport that appeals to females so it's mostly disappeared from the Olympic airwaves. But Tokyo has bee our best showing in years and two Americans fought for the gold tonight. Both lost but the fights were interesting.

Keyshawn Davis had lost three times to Cuba's Andy Cruz before and almost beat him this time. Davis won the first round with a highly tactical approach. Both men have a lot a hand speed and were wary of each other. Cruz got in some good shots and took the second round. the third round was a back-and forth war, with both men backing each other up at times. It could have gone either way but if you are going to get a decision over a guy that's beaten you three times, you'd better be clearly better and Davis wasn't. Davis was already 3-0 as a profession and is a pal of Shakur Stevenson so here's another name to add to the crowded picture at lightweight.

the Super-heavyweight final was a Rocky movie without a happy ending. Richard Torrez Jr., an old-fashioned heavyweight at 6-2 face a new-fashioned heavyweight, Uzbekistan's 6-7 Bakhodir Jalolov for the second time. Jaolov had knocked Torres out cold in their previous fight two years ago: Torres left the ring in a stretcher. That meant that it took a lot of courage to face the big guy again. but Torres had improved quite a bit and gained a lot of power. He used a jab to get inside on his opponent, (it can be used both ways: to keep a man at bey or to make him vulnerable to and inside attack), and Torres used it to win the first round, raking Jalolov with body punches, (it was right in front of him), and upper-cuts. But the big guy got his own jab going in the second stanza and the refer got his act going, too, interrupting the bout several times for an unnecessary standing 8 count and to take a point away from Torres for something. That put Torres on the defensive and Jalolov got in some good shots to win the last two rounds.

They always used to have somebody from Syracuse coaching the team in the old days. Maybe they need to go back to that?

Last edited:
Finally got to watch some Olympic boxing. I still remember the stirring night in Montreal in 1976 when 5 Americans won gold, including Sugar Ray Leonard and the Spinks brothers. there hasn't been an American goal medalist since Andre Ward in Athens in 2004 and it's not a sport that appeals to females so it's mostly disappeared from the Olympic airwaves. But Tokyo has bee our best showing in years and two Americans fought for the gold tonight. Both lost but the fights were interesting.

Keyshawn Davis had lost three times to Cuba's Andy Cruz before and almost beat him this time. Davis won the first round with a highly tactical approach. Both men have a lot a hand speed and were wary of each other. Cruz got in some good shots and took the second round. the third round was a back-and forth war, with both men backing each other up at times. It could have gone either way but if you are going to get a decision over a guy that's beaten you three times, you'd better be clearly better and Davis wasn't. Davis was already 3-0 as a profession and is a pal of Shakur Stevenson so here's another name to add to the crowded picture at lightweight.

the Super-heavyweight final was a Rocky movie without a happy ending. Richard Torrez Jr., an old-fashioned heavyweight at 6-2 face a new-fashioned heavyweight, Uzbekistan's 6-7 Bakhodir Jalolov for the second time. Jaolov had knocked Torres out cold in their previous fight two years ago: Torres left the ring in a stretcher. That meant that it took a lot of courage to face the big guy again. but Torres had improved quite a bit and gained a lot of power. He used a jab to get inside on his opponent, (it can be used both ways: to keep a man at bey or to make him vulnerable to and inside attack), and Torres used it to win the first round, raking Jalolov with body punches, (it was right in front of him), and upper-cuts. But the big guy got his own jab going in the second stanza and the refer got his act going, too, interrupting the bout several times for an unnecessary standing 8 count and to take a point away from Torres for something. That put Torres on the defensive and Jalolov got in some good shots to win the last two rounds.

They always used to have somebody form Syracuse coaching the team in the old days. Maybe they need to go back to that?
Judging (IMO) was much fairer and consistent than during the previous few Olympics. Allot better than Rio, which was pretty bad. Watched many of the Tokyo fights and didn’t see any decisions that were wildly off the mark. Unlike the pro WBA sanctioned 147 lb scap between Gabriel Maestre and Mykal Fox on Sat Night (corrupt, horrible robbery decision for the house prospect Maestre).

I agree that the IOC can improve the refereeing though - too many 8 Counts after one clean punch landed without regard to the effect. Breaks up the flow of an exchange and the fight. IOC refs should protect boxers with the 8 but they are (in many instances) too quick to jump in before factoring the fighter’s reaction to the blow received. IMO….

Jalolov and Davis will be good pros, maybe championship level potential. Best non-Cuban performers (again, my opinion) included Sousa (Brazilian Middleweight) and Yafai (British Flyweight). Duke Ragan (American Featherweight) and a couple of the Kazakhs and Filipinos looked good as well. I didn’t see if Tokyo awarded the Val Barker Award (best overall boxer) for this Olympics.

Not sure that Syracuse will produce another Pat Nappi (I guess we can hope). He was an amateur boxing institution and great teacher of the sport. Today’s high level U.S. amateur prospects are handled by big promoters, pro training conglomerates and money interests (like top Prep/High School Basketball players now). The exact opposite of the way Pat tried to run the national team. American team is not as “centrally organized” (training, coaching, scouting-infrastructure-tournaments-international competition, etc) today as it was during the three decades of Nappi’s stewardship. The real talent here is developed individually and prepared for the pro’s. Olympics is nothing but a marketing “showcase” for allot of the American youngsters - a way to get a coveted PBC/TR/DAZN contract and make money.

I think the “American Olympic Boxing Drought” (last 25 yrs or so) is due (somewhat) to this. But, also, fewer American kids are boxing today (they don’t have to) and so many other options are available for the ultra gifted athlete in our society. Allot of good coaching and facilities has opened access for more (and better) amateur fighters overseas too - ain’t just the USA, Cuban and Soviet representatives competing for the medals (like during the Cold War). Along with Cuba (still), the Stan countries, Ukrainians, Brits, Philippines and even the PRC have good amateur programs now. Bottom Line - I suspect even Nappi would be challenged to assemble a contemporary USA Olympic Boxing “Super Team” (ala 76, 80 and 84).

Down goes Pacquiao-Spence!

Will there be any 'superfights' this year? :(

Had DAZN, ESPN+ and Showtime all on at once after me Mets lost again. I didn't score any of the fights because I wasn't watching all of any of them.

Vergil Ortiz Jr. vs Egidijus Kavaliauskas: Kavaliauskas had given my favorite fighter Bud Crawford a hard time before Bud won it in the 9th. Ortiz was very impressive, keeping Kavaliauskas at bay with a strong jab, setting up his right hand. He was very aggressive and when Kavaliauskas nailed him in the 2nd round, he waved him in and then turned the tide with his own punching. He finally got in some body shots, (so many recent fights have turned on them), and ended it in 8th, a round before Crawford did it. That puts Ortiz, who is now 18-0, all KOs into the middle of the welterweight contenders. I think he might have trouble with Crawford's versatility but it looks like Ortiz could give anybody in the division a battle.

Gary Antonio Russell vs. Emmanuel Rodriguez: I like Russell but neither he or his opponent had much of a chance to display their skills, as the fight ended in 16 due to clash of heads that broke Rodriguez's nose and ended the fight a s a no-contest.

Joshua Franco vs. Andrew Moloney: I was more interested in the next fight but what i saw of this one was very competitive, although Franco seemed more effective. He's beaten Moloney for the title last year and a rematch was another no contest when Franco's eye swelled shut in the second round. the referee claimed it was a from head butt. Moloney asserted that it was "the result of 50 jabs". Franco proved his superiority tonight.

John Riel Casimero vs. Guillermo Rigondeaux: I'm a big fan of boxing as "the manly art of self defense". I like fighters who make the other guy miss and they work their offence out of their defense. Rigondeaux is that rare fighter who loves to humiliate his opponent by making him miss and seems not to care about physically hurting him. Willie Pep is supposed to have won a round without throwing a punch, just from his defensive maneuvering. That appears to be Rigo's ambition. he totally schooled Casimero but didn't do enough to score points for the judges. The fans were booing because neither fighter was landing punches. The punch-count states were that Casimero landed 47 punches in 12 rounds and Rigo landed 44. One judge had Casimero winning 117-111. Another had him winning 116-112. The third had Rigo ahead 115-113. Steve Farhood had it 114-114. For me the difference was that Casi wasn't landing punches because he didn't know how to. Rigo wasn't landing them because he didn't want to unless it was a clean shot, which he landed several times. Rigo made it the fight he wanted and Casi had no idea how to make it the fight he wanted. I'd love to see if Rigo could do that it Inoue, another one of my favorite fighters.

Had DAZN, ESPN+ and Showtime all on at once after me Mets lost again. I didn't score any of the fights because I wasn't watching all of any of them.

Vergil Ortiz Jr. vs Egidijus Kavaliauskas: Kavaliauskas had given my favorite fighter Bud Crawford a hard time before Bud won it in the 9th. Ortiz was very impressive, keeping Kavaliauskas at bay with a strong jab, setting up his right hand. He was very aggressive and when Kavaliauskas nailed him in the 2nd round, he waved him in and then turned the tide with his own punching. He finally got in some body shots, (so many recent fights have turned on them), and ended it in 8th, a round before Crawford did it. That puts Ortiz, who is now 18-0, all KOs into the middle of the welterweight contenders. I think he might have trouble with Crawford's versatility but it looks like Ortiz could give anybody in the division a battle.

Gary Antonio Russell vs. Emmanuel Rodriguez: I like Russell but neither he or his opponent had much of a chance to display their skills, as the fight ended in 16 due to clash of heads that broke Rodriguez's nose and ended the fight a s a no-contest.

Joshua Franco vs. Andrew Moloney: I was more interested in the next fight but what i saw of this one was very competitive, although Franco seemed more effective. He's beaten Moloney for the title last year and a rematch was another no contest when Franco's eye swelled shut in the second round. the referee claimed it was a from head butt. Moloney asserted that it was "the result of 50 jabs". Franco proved his superiority tonight.

John Riel Casimero vs. Guillermo Rigondeaux: I'm a big fan of boxing as "the manly art of self defense". I like fighters who make the other guy miss and they work their offence out of their defense. Rigondeaux is that rare fighter who loves to humiliate his opponent by making him miss and seems not to care about physically hurting him. Willie Pep is supposed to have won a round without throwing a punch, just from his defensive maneuvering. That appears to be Rigo's ambition. he totally schooled Casimero but didn't do enough to score points for the judges. The fans were booing because neither fighter was landing punches. The punch-count states were that Casimero landed 47 punches in 12 rounds and Rigo landed 44. One judge had Casimero winning 117-111. Another had him winning 116-112. The third had Rigo ahead 115-113. Steve Farhood had it 114-114. For me the difference was that Casi wasn't landing punches because he didn't know how to. Rigo wasn't landing them because he didn't want to unless it was a clean shot, which he landed several times. Rigo made it the fight he wanted and Casi had no idea how to make it the fight he wanted. I'd love to see if Rigo could do that it Inoue, another one of my favorite fighters.
Good rundown as usual. I thought the best (action packed/competitive) fight of the night was Buatsi-Bolotniks on the DAZN undercard. Buatsi reminds me a bit of Matthew Saad Muhammad (exciting Lt Heavy Champ from the 80’s). Heavy hands, throws punches in bunches and blocks allot of shots with his face…. Heard that Hearn is planning to put him in with Bivol next. Potentially good fight….

Ortiz and Ennis are the future of the Welterweight Division. Ortiz looked good - survived a rocky 2nd and ground the “Mean Machine” down after the 5th. I’ll give Oscar (Golden Boy) credit - he’ll test his prospects against threatening opposition (unlike PBC)….. And work with other promotional groups (unlike Haymon). Maybe we’ll see him in with Crawford next year.

Seen enough of Franco-Moloney (three fights in a row). Not sure where Franco goes from here - maybe Arum serves him up at 118 for Inoue. Both under contract with TR….

Ahhhh Rigo. I was already sleepy and you didn’t disappoint…. Fight was a stinker (Rigo lack of volume and Casimero didn’t know how to cut off the ring). I thought Rigondeaux won it, even though he threw and landed the fewest punches recorded in a 12 rd fight since Compubox started recording the stat. Sarcasm aside, Rigo has great skills and athleticism still (at 38 yrs of age), but just doesn’t let his hands go often enough to make him a fan favorite. Casimero looked terrible, but will probably make a more exciting matchup with Donaire (if Arum can make a unification fight at 118). And try to line the winner up against Monster.

Bummed about the Pac-Spence cancellation, but what can ya do? At least the Nevada Commission found Errol’s retinal tear in the pre-fight exam (system worked). Makes me wonder how long he’s had the injury and whether the car crash had something to do with it (pure speculation). It will still be interesting to see Manny back in action; if only to see what he has left at 42. Ugas (replacement) isn’t a bum - gave Shawn Porter an even scrap a couple of years ago. But, regardless of outcome, I doubt we’ll see the Spence matchup rescheduled. I believe Pacquiao’s promotional agreement with PBC is up after this fight and Manny needs to retire someday. Doesn’t he?

Good rundown as usual. I thought the best (action packed/competitive) fight of the night was Buatsi-Bolotniks on the DAZN undercard. Buatsi reminds me a bit of Matthew Saad Muhammad (exciting Lt Heavy Champ from the 80’s). Heavy hands, throws punches in bunches and blocks allot of shots with his face…. Heard that Hearn is planning to put him in with Bivol next. Potentially good fight….

Ortiz and Ennis are the future of the Welterweight Division. Ortiz looked good - survived a rocky 2nd and ground the “Mean Machine” down after the 5th. I’ll give Oscar (Golden Boy) credit - he’ll test his prospects against threatening opposition (unlike PBC)….. And work with other promotional groups (unlike Haymon). Maybe we’ll see him in with Crawford next year.

Seen enough of Franco-Moloney (three fights in a row). Not sure where Franco goes from here - maybe Arum serves him up at 118 for Inoue. Both under contract with TR….

Ahhhh Rigo. I was already sleepy and you didn’t disappoint…. Fight was a stinker (Rigo lack of volume and Casimero didn’t know how to cut off the ring). I thought Rigondeaux won it, even though he threw and landed the fewest punches recorded in a 12 rd fight since Compubox started recording the stat. Sarcasm aside, Rigo has great skills and athleticism still (at 38 yrs of age), but just doesn’t let his hands go often enough to make him a fan favorite. Casimero looked terrible, but will probably make a more exciting matchup with Donaire (if Arum can make a unification fight at 118). And try to line the winner up against Monster.

Bummed about the Pac-Spence cancellation, but what can ya do? At least the Nevada Commission found Errol’s retinal tear in the pre-fight exam (system worked). Makes me wonder how long he’s had the injury and whether the car crash had something to do with it (pure speculation). It will still be interesting to see Manny back in action; if only to see what he has left at 42. Ugas (replacement) isn’t a bum - gave Shawn Porter an even scrap a couple of years ago. But, regardless of outcome, I doubt we’ll see the Spence matchup rescheduled. I believe Pacquiao’s promotional agreement with PBC is up after this fight and Manny needs to retire someday. Doesn’t he?

If your goal is to be president of your country, getting punched in the head isn't very good preparation.

1629044243095.png

Or is it?

I watched part of the undercard tonight.

I saw some of Carlos Castro vs. Oscar Escandon, a good fight, back and forth with the taller, thinner Castro hanging tough and scoring a 9th round KO.

I watched the entirety of Mark Magsayo vs. Julio Ceja, a great fight, in which the taller, thinner Magsayo, a Pacquiao protégé, won with a great one-punch kayo. He knocked Ceja down in the first few seconds of the fight but the bullish Ceja shook it off and appeared to be the stronger man, pummeling Magsayo's body until he sagged to the canvas in the 5th. But Masayo survived that and stayed at a distance for the rest of the fight. He split Ceja's defense with right hand in the 9th that put Ceja's lights out. He hit him again as the was going down but Ceja never felt that one. Ceja was on his back for several minutes, then sat up, was walked over to his corner, where he again collapsed. There was concern for him but he finally seemed to recover and left the ring.

Robert Guerrero vs. Victor Ortiz, was another good fight but i skipped out on part of it to check the news and weather. Guerrero won the battle of veteran fighters by unanimous decision and the commentators seemed to agree.

I bought the fight because I heard it might be Pacquiao's last. I hope it is. He can still fight but his footwork and head movement aren't what they were. He couldn't get away from the taller, thinner Ugas' jab and right hands. Manny still can throw those combinations but he wasn't able to get close enough to the taller man to do much damage. He had to lunge at him to connect and took some shots going in. Ugas, a very good defensive fighter, blocked most of the punches. He constantly moved to his right and kept his left foot even or inside of Manny's, giving him superior leverage. He would have completely dominated the fight but he wasn't busy enough in the early rounds. Then he got down to business and I gave him the last 6 rounds, scoring it 117-112 with the 5th round even. Even those early rounds were Manny's lunging flurries vs. Ugas' more purposeful jab and right cross. many had plenty of energy at the beginning but clearly ran out of gas and had absorbed too much punishment at the end. The punch stats were amazing. Pacquiao threw twice as many punches: 815-405 but Ugas landed more 151-130.

He was never in trouble, except on the score cards, (which went 115-113 and 116-1112 twice for Ugas) but he's talking about running for the presidency of the Philippines next May and said that he has more important problems than boxing. He said he was still thinking about his career and the election and would make the decisions later. I wonder if he would continue his boxing career as president of the Philippines? That doesn't make sense but then a lot of what's gone on in recent years doesn't make sense. I don't think that getting hit in the face over and over again wouldn't be very good preparation for becoming president of a country but that, two may be old fashioned thinking. there's been a lot of leaders in recent years who seemed as if they'd taken too many shots to the head.

I watched part of the undercard tonight.

I saw some of Carlos Castro vs. Oscar Escandon, a good fight, back and forth with the taller, thinner Castro hanging tough and scoring a 9th round KO.

I watched the entirety of Mark Magsayo vs. Julio Ceja, a great fight, in which the taller, thinner Magsayo, a Pacquiao protégé, won with a great one-punch kayo. He knocked Ceja down in the first few seconds of the fight but the bullish Ceja shook it off and appeared to be the stronger man, pummeling Magsayo's body until he sagged to the canvas in the 5th. But Masayo survived that and stayed at a distance for the rest of the fight. He split Ceja's defense with right hand in the 9th that put Ceja's lights out. He hit him again as the was going down but Ceja never felt that one. Ceja was on his back for several minutes, then sat up, was walked over to his corner, where he again collapsed. There was concern for him but he finally seemed to recover and left the ring.

Robert Guerrero vs. Victor Ortiz, was another good fight but i skipped out on part of it to check the news and weather. Guerrero won the battle of veteran fighters by unanimous decision and the commentators seemed to agree.

I bought the fight because I heard it might be Pacquiao's last. I hope it is. He can still fight but his footwork and head movement aren't what they were. He couldn't get away from the taller, thinner Ugas' jab and right hands. Manny still can throw those combinations but he wasn't able to get close enough to the taller man to do much damage. He had to lunge at him to connect and took some shots going in. Ugas, a very good defensive fighter, blocked most of the punches. He constantly moved to his right and kept his left foot even or inside of Manny's, giving him superior leverage. He would have completely dominated the fight but he wasn't busy enough in the early rounds. Then he got down to business and I gave him the last 6 rounds, scoring it 117-112 with the 5th round even. Even those early rounds were Manny's lunging flurries vs. Ugas' more purposeful jab and right cross. many had plenty of energy at the beginning but clearly ran out of gas and had absorbed too much punishment at the end. The punch stats were amazing. Pacquiao threw twice as many punches: 815-405 but Ugas landed more 151-130.

He was never in trouble, except on the score cards, (which went 115-113 and 116-1112 twice for Ugas) but he's talking about running for the presidency of the Philippines next May and said that he has more important problems than boxing. He said he was still thinking about his career and the election and would make the decisions later. I wonder if he would continue his boxing career as president of the Philippines? That doesn't make sense but then a lot of what's gone on in recent years doesn't make sense. I don't think that getting hit in the face over and over again wouldn't be very good preparation for becoming president of a country but that, two may be old fashioned thinking. there's been a lot of leaders in recent years who seemed as if they'd taken too many shots to the head.
Father Time remains undefeated. I feared we might see this - Manny got old tonight (two year layoff probably didn’t help either). Happens to all prizefighters, even the All Time Greats.

I had it 8-4 Ugas. Decision was very fair. Manny’s footwork was nonexistent and couldn’t create the angles, range and opportunities necessary to get thru his opponent’s very rangy guard. Like he’s almost always done in the past…. To his credit, Ugas controlled distance and the pocket. Finished the exchanges and kept slapping Manny with the looping RH to disrupt Pac’s rhythm. Probably studied the Mayweather fight during preparation. Floyd followed a similar strategy.

I hope Manny retires (I think he will and if hesitant, Roach and Jinkee will convince him). Nothing to prove. Canastota and a probable office in Manila’s Presidential Palace await.

End of an era. In his prime, he was the modern day Henry Armstrong (with more speed and power). IMO, among the 10 best P4P fighters of the last 50 yrs. Always exciting and ducked no-one. I will miss watching him.

The biggest thing to me was the lack of head movement for Manny. Prime Manny was always bouncing around for 36 minutes with his head moving non-stop. Could see early on that was gone and I didn't expect much at that point. End of an era for me. Never cared about boxing as much as I did with all of the HBO fights Manny had where they had the 24/7 show leading up to them. Always created a huge event that I'd have a bunch of friends over to watch.

I'm in my mid-30s so Roy Jones Jr was the 1st of appointment viewing then it was Manny and now sadly it's probably a big UFC fight over anything that boxing has to offer. Maybe Canelo/GGG would get me to pay 70 bucks but that would be as more of a novelty then a great product at this point.

Father Time remains undefeated. I feared we might see this - Manny got old tonight (two year layoff probably didn’t help either). Happens to all prizefighters, even the All Time Greats.

I had it 8-4 Ugas. Decision was very fair. Manny’s footwork was nonexistent and couldn’t create the angles, range and opportunities necessary to get thru his opponent’s very rangy guard. Like he’s almost always done in the past…. To his credit, Ugas controlled distance and the pocket. Finished the exchanges and kept slapping Manny with the looping RH to disrupt Pac’s rhythm. Probably studied the Mayweather fight during preparation. Floyd followed a similar strategy.

I hope Manny retires (I think he will and if hesitant, Roach and Jinkee will convince him). Nothing to prove. Canastota and a probable office in Manila’s Presidential Palace await.

End of an era. In his prime, he was the modern day Henry Armstrong (with more speed and power). IMO, among the 10 best P4P fighters of the last 50 yrs. Always exciting and ducked no-one. I will miss watching him.

it seems strange to say that Manny's on his way to Canastota and Manila, but he probably, (if he gets the the Manila part) is.

Former heavyweight champions James Braddock, Floyd Patterson, Joe Louis and Rocky Marciano are introduced in the ring prior to Muhammad Ali's defense of the title against Sonny Liston in Lewiston, Maine, 1965 (Credit: James Drake)

237099541_4369505566442268_2458937888975960560_n.jpg

Watched Usyk defeat Joshua tonight. They were hyping it as David vs. Goliath and saying that Usyk was braving the "one punch knockout power" of Joshua. The fact is, Usyk is 6-3 and Joshua 6-6 and they seemed to have confused Joshua with Wilder. Somebody also said that boxing fans want to see knockouts, not two guys just moving around the ring and boxing. If so they were disappointed with this bout. I certainly wasn't.

Usyk was what used to be known in boxing as a 'cutie': he moved around the ring, shifting back and forth, also moving he head back and forth, making himself a difficult target, but picking his spots to deliver a 'left cross' with some effect. He's a lefty and there was a constant battle between Usyk and Joshua to position their lead foot and Usyk seemed often to win that battle. Just as football fans tend to 'follow the ball' and not pay attention to what's happening in the line, boxing fans look at the top of the fighters and don't see what's going on below.

Joshua has always been a 'textbook' fighter, by which I mean you could illustrate a text book with how he positions himself, how the throws this punch and that punch. But it's all kind of mechanical. It's great if his opponent stays directly in front of him but when the opponent is elusive and the punches come from angles he doesn't expect, he has trouble dealing with it.

But he did seem to be dealing with it in the middle rounds. He got his jab going and hurt Usyk with body shots that seemed to slow him down. But in the 9th round Usyk got his second wind and apparently decided he needed a knockout. he never got it but he turned the flow of the bout back in his favor. Instead of using lateral movement, he went right at Joshua and backed him off with aggressive punching. Joshua kept going with the jab but it wasn't enough to keep Usyk off of him. In the final moments of round 12, Joshua finally began to fade and Usyk forced him into the ropes with combinations but the fight ended before Usyk could finish him off.

I gave Usyk 6 rounds, Joshua 4 and two even: 116-114. the judges were 117-112, 116-112 and 115-113. Joshua's career spins back out of control. he was always something of a paper tiger anyway. Now we get Fury-Wilder III. Usyk is probably the best of the bunch but against Fury it really would be David vs. Goliath.

So glad for Usyk who fought smart and with a ton of heart. Joshua might be the most over hyped heavyweight of my lifetime, and has little heart, zero athletic ability. His legs also seem to fail him. In the middle rounds I said that Joshua would probably still win being on his home turf if he could keep it somewhat even, and I said I'm willing to put our house up when he has to face Wilder or Fury. His career is over. Hopefully some new cruisers move up, and some new young up and comers take over soon. Their tale of the tape seems very close, but in the ring Joshua seemed like a giant (although an immobile one) compared to Usyk.

So glad for Usyk who fought smart and with a ton of heart. Joshua might be the most over hyped heavyweight of my lifetime, and has little heart, zero athletic ability. His legs also seem to fail him. In the middle rounds I said that Joshua would probably still win being on his home turf if he could keep it somewhat even, and I said I'm willing to put our house up when he has to face Wilder or Fury. His career is over. Hopefully some new cruisers move up, and some new young up and comers take over soon. Their tale of the tape seems very close, but in the ring Joshua seemed like a giant (although an immobile one) compared to Usyk.
Was out of pocket on Saturday, so didn’t actually watch the fight until this AM.
Who says good things can’t happen in boxing - sensational performance (Usyk), clear UD by the better man over the “house fighter” on the defending champ’s turf, no corrupt promoter/network influenced scoring. More of this please…
You guys hit on the major stuff I saw. Bottom Line - Usyk is a complete, tough, smart, adaptive championship boxer. Can beat you anyway you wanna fight. Joshua ain’t…. He has strengths (size, length, punch) but also weaknesses (chinny, mechanical, slow recuperator, stamina and footwork not great, average infighter). Usyk exploited every one of those deficiencies at various times during the bout.
Usyk “grew” into a full heavyweight for this fight. He didn’t look great during his previous couple of scraps after jumping from cruiser. Kinda like Evander Holyfield, took him a year or so to adapt and “settle in” at the weight.
I thought Usyk was controlling the fight (pocket and distance) from the opening bell. Better head mvmt, hands and feet. Found a home for the looping LH in the 1st and 3rd (thought he shook AJ with it), “rode“ with Joshua’s pressure in the 8th and “flipped the momentum” by pressuring Joshua the rest of the way (because he sensed AJ had shot his bolt). Then closed the show to leave no doubt - Joshua was lucky to hear the final bell.
On to Fury/Wilder III I guess. Usyk gets the winner contractually (hope so at least - probably get Usyk/AJ rematch first). I agree - other than the “Big 4,” Heavyweight Division is thin right now. I like Yoka and Joe Joyce’s potential, but Usyk (and a motivated Fury) would play with them right now.

It finally happened:

I'm glad. Manny provided dozens of memorable fights but there was nothing left to accomplish that he hadn't already accomplished and if he wants to become the president of his country, getting punched in the head would not seem to be the best preparation for it, (although there have been some presidents who seemed like they had been punched repeatedly in the head or deserved it).

It finally happened:

I'm glad. Manny provided dozens of memorable fights but there was nothing left to accomplish that he hadn't already accomplished and if he wants to become the president of his country, getting punched in the head would not seem to be the best preparation for it, (although there have been some presidents who seemed like they had been punched repeatedly in the head or deserved it).
Like you said, Manny had so many great/exciting fights. Four of my favorites:
1. Barrera I
- Overwhelmed the hottest lower weight champ in boxing at the time; made MAB quit…
2. Morales II
- Pac demonstrated his ATG “championship grit” - was losing and kicked it into overdrive late to stop ‘El Terrible’….
3. Cotto
- Went toe to toe with the best left hooker in the sport and beat him into submission…
4. Margarito
- “Big boyed“ a much larger and stronger Jr Middleweight over 12 lopsided rds….

The way the boxing business seems these days, we’re not likely to see the likes of his sort (take on all comers) again anytime soon.

One of the toughest IBHOF ballots in my memory.

Only five will get in, but at least 10-12 very deserving candidates worthy of 1st ballot inclusion.

Three are absolute no-brainers - RJJ, Cotto, Toney.

If limited to only five (and had a vote) - I’d add Calderon and Wonjongkam to my list.

But one could make a very strong argument for a bunch of fighters there.

B1E01BF8-CC8B-418B-BFAF-FB0FBAB775A7.jpeg

One of the toughest IBHOF ballots in my memory.

Only five will get in, but at least 10-12 very deserving candidates worthy of 1st ballot inclusion.

Three are absolute no-brainers - RJJ, Cotto, Toney.

If limited to only five (and had a vote) - I’d add Calderon and Wonjongkam to my list.

But one could make a very strong argument for a bunch of fighters there.

View attachment 207813
Yeah there's some good discussion to be had on that list. My only criteria for any sports HOF is I have to use the term great to describe them, because I can't stand the Hall of Very Good that has taken place in all sports. That said I never thought Cotto reached the HOF level, but a dam good fighter. It's kind of how I feel about Porter right now, but I like rooting for him.

Side note, I just saw Loma and Commey is signed for Dec 11. I guess Loma needed a punching bag waiting around for somebody. I won't watch that fight.

Yeah there's some good discussion to be had on that list. My only criteria for any sports HOF is I have to use the term great to describe them, because I can't stand the Hall of Very Good that has taken place in all sports. That said I never thought Cotto reached the HOF level, but a dam good fighter. It's kind of how I feel about Porter right now, but I like rooting for him.

Side note, I just saw Loma and Commey is signed for Dec 11. I guess Loma needed a punching bag waiting around for somebody. I won't watch that fight.
I agree - there is a difference between being a “HOF’er” and an “All Time Great.” Shouldn’t be. Allot of boxers in the IBOF that I do not consider to be “ATG.” IBOF criteria is morphing (somewhat) into “popularity” and “did the fans watch him” these days. Only reason Gatti is enshrined…..
One of my personal criteria for HOF status - were you a “real” champion (not just a promoter assigned belt - beat the guy in the ring for the strap he held), did you try to unify/defend against the best and often in the weight category, win on the road, clean out a division and then jump weight categories and beat bigger guys. Do that successfully over a 10 year career or so and you deserve consideration for the bust in Canastota…. Just my opinion.

Like you, I have no desire to watch Loma tattoo Comey. Uncle Bob is out of options in stable because he couldn’t clear Teo’s schedule (for a rematch) in lieu of the Kambosis/Triller debacle. Too bad Lopez wasted a year (inactivity) chasing the free agency route (although admire his old man for trying). Business of boxing is just fugly…. If I’m Teo, I go back to TR (think he’s still under contract) and tell Arum I have no interest in a Loma rematch. Already beat him clean - bigger fish out there. I’d tell Bob that I want to take Taylor’s undisputed crown at 138. Same stable - 135 unified vs 138 unified. Then I want Tank for all the marbles at Jr Welt. Teo will own all the “real” belts at 35 and 38 (assuming he beats Taylor). If PBC won’t work with TR (Al will resist, like he did with Porter), I ride out my contract defending 138 against lower tier TR stable for a year or so and go free agent again for big money fights against the “young guns” in other promotional groups (Davis, Haney, Garcia, etc). Sounds easy here, hard in reality I know. Bottom line - if I were Lopez, I wouldn’t let TR “Crawford me.” I’d chase these other guys and prove I’m the best (because I think he is).

Fury/Wilder III on the docket this weekend. Guess we’ll see if Wilder’s new trainer (Malik Scott) taught Deontay anything. Wilder is dangerous, which is why I’m intrigued. Can’t try to stalk Tyson like he tried the last time. He’ll get thumped again. Might try to use the legs, back foot and jab (like he did against Stevernne the first time) and not let Fury push him back. Hard to do against a big, nimble skilled guy like Fury though. I predict something closer to the first fight than the 2nd - Fury on points but with a moment or so of drama. Looking forward to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom