Brad Stevens | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Brad Stevens

Stupid, stupid and more stupid.

He lasts three years at best but more probably 2ish before he either quits or gets fired.

If he wanted to get paid, he should have cashed at a major power like UCLA or similar.

Most of all, his family will be in for a rude awakening with the way Boston fans turn on him in an ugly way. You in New England now Bubba, this ain't the Midwest.

Well, Stevens has proved he can win with lesser talent which makes him a pretty good coach. Can he make the transition to the NBA? Who knows, but Danny Ainge is a pretty decent judge of talent himself. Besides, I'd be willing to bet Ainge has given Stevens 2-3 years without a lot of heat on him to succeed.

Very, very interesting. Now we will see if the real genius is there. And how will he handle the NBA personalities that are not the same "profile" as the Butler players. I don't think he has really had to deal with any type of player drama at Butler, just pure basketball.

You remember when Tark was hired by the Spurs and coached like 22 games and was fired. I'm thinking Stevens doesn't make it through 2 seasons.
Billy D had a shorter career.

Here's the bigger question: who the heck is Butler going to get to bite on that job vacancy? I realize it's in the NNNBE, but it's still Butler.

Here's the bigger question: who the heck is Butler going to get to bite on that job vacancy? I realize it's in the NNNBE, but it's still Butler.

I'd be shocked if it's not Matt Graves.

Edit: Looks like he's saying he's staying put at USA. But it still wouldn't surprise me if he ultimately left.

Some thoughts:

1. Stevens can't win the big one.
2. This is gonna ug up the NBA big time. NOT a good development.
3. This is a pretty funny kick to the Big East's/AAC's nuticles. That's what happens when you invite random teams that make zero sense beyond being recently relevant to your conference.
4. Wonder if a Rondo/Hayward and other assets trade might be in the works now.

He lasts three years at best but more probably 2ish before he either quits or gets fired.

If he wanted to get paid, he should have cashed at a major power like UCLA or similar.

Most of all, his family will be in for a rude awakening with the way Boston fans turn on him in an ugly way. You in New England now Bubba, this ain't the Midwest.

maybe he wants to coach in the nba. dont understand all the people in shock about this.

Very, very interesting. Now we will see if the real genius is there. And how will he handle the NBA personalities that are not the same "profile" as the Butler players. I don't think he has really had to deal with any type of player drama at Butler, just pure basketball.

I think there are pros and cons to each. In college, you are truly a coach and are in control, but you also have to deal with all the headaches of NCAA compliance and ensuring that guys are academically eligible. In the NBA, you are more of a manager and are always expendable, but there's none of those eligibility issues to worry about.

But at the end of the day, the NBA is the pinnacle of the profession, and Stevens is smart to strike while the iron is hot.

Wow total shocker. That will tarnish his coaching stats as the Celtics are going to do a lot of losing the next couple of seasons. Reloading in the NBA is such a crap shoot. A team has to get lucky in the stupid draft lottery (losing isn't enough) and then be fortunate enough when it gets a top pick that there is actually a franchise player available that year and not a bunch of mediocre like this year. Even free agency with lots of cap space isn't a sure path as most good players want to buddy up on teams that already have at least one star. Can Rondo be a magnet? I guess he's going to be there until a big job opens in the B1G which is what he supposedly wants.

Houston did none of that, though. They're getting there while still being competitive. Stockpile assets, draft well, and swoop in and pull off a sign and trade when there's an unhappy/can't be afforded superstar who his team doesn't want to lose for nothing.

Good. One less coach playing push, shove, clutch, grab, hold the ball for 30 seconds garbage ball. His style is everything I hate watching about college hoops.

That will tarnish his coaching stats as the Celtics are going to do a lot of losing the next couple of seasons.

Would you accept a tarnishing of coaching stats in exchange for $22 million? I know I would.

Most of all, his family will be in for a rude awakening with the way Boston fans turn on him in an ugly way. You in New England now Bubba, this ain't the Midwest.[/quot

I know the Dollar isn't worth a Dollar anymore but $22Million is anything but Stupid to Coach a Game

Brad needs to check in with Pitino for some lessons learned. Not sure who's crazier, Ainge or Stevens.-VBOF

Bottom line is that Brad is making big bucks for at least a few years. If he fails, he can go back to the university scene just like Pitino. Or go to ESPN and tell everyone how to beat Syracuse! :rolleyes:

Brad needs to check in with Pitino for some lessons learned.

"Hey Rick, it's me Brad. Can you share with me some of the lessons you learned from your coaching journey?"

"Well, Brad, I went from being a national championship coach at Kentucky, to signing a 7-year $70 million deal with the Celtics, to being a national championship coach at Louisville. So yeah, I think I made all the correct decisions (minus the whole Karen Sypher incident)."

"Cool! Thanks, Rick!"

Brad needs to check in with Pitino for some lessons learned. Not sure who's crazier, Ainge or Stevens.-VBOF
Yeh, like Pitino is so much worse off for the time he spent in the NBA

I struggle to understand this decision for the Celtics as well as for Stevens. Sure there's big $$$ in it for Brad but his motivational tactics and ability to squeeze excellence out of lesser talent will be completely lost on the egos and attitudes of the NBA. And to begin this experiment in a market that expects and demands championships with unrealistic regularity? I'm surprised to say the least. 4 years, tops.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom