Brad Stevens | Syracusefan.com

Brad Stevens

Well, the guy apparently had a plan all along. Doubt many people saw this.

Wow!!!!!!!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4 Beta

How many coaches have successfully made the jump? Slick Rick stands out as one that didn't.

How many coaches have successfully made the jump? Slick Rick stands out as one that didn't.

He actually did, at least the 1st time around with the Knicks.

Wow total shocker. That will tarnish his coaching stats as the Celtics are going to do a lot of losing the next couple of seasons. Reloading in the NBA is such a crap shoot. A team has to get lucky in the stupid draft lottery (losing isn't enough) and then be fortunate enough when it gets a top pick that there is actually a franchise player available that year and not a bunch of mediocre like this year. Even free agency with lots of cap space isn't a sure path as most good players want to buddy up on teams that already have at least one star. Can Rondo be a magnet? I guess he's going to be there until a big job opens in the B1G which is what he supposedly wants.

Now it makes sense as to why Boston got rid of pierce and garnett so easily. No way Garnettt would play for a coach younger than him

SHOCKED.

This seems like it'll be a total failure ..but hey... kudos to him for giving it a shot. if he fails, he'll still have basically any college job he wants.

Wow total shocker. That will tarnish his coaching stats as the Celtics are going to do a lot of losing the next couple of seasons. Reloading in the NBA is such a crap shoot. A team has to get lucky in the stupid draft lottery (losing isn't enough) and then be fortunate enough when it gets a top pick that there is actually a franchise player available that year and not a bunch of mediocre like this year. Even free agency with lots of cap space isn't a sure path as most good players want to buddy up on teams that already have at least one star. Can Rondo be a magnet? I guess he's going to be there until a big job opens in the B1G which is what he supposedly wants.

I think the weirder thing is that his style is tailor made for the mid-major college game. But if he proves to be more than a grind-it-out coach and he sticks it out with the Cs in the long run, it could be a great situation.

The roster/contract situation sucks right now, but you're looking at 9 first round draft picks over the next 5 or 6 years and a ton of cap space coming off in that same period. The Celts have good ownership, they know where they currently are and if BS proves himself as a decent coach for the next two years, he could be loading up for the long run.

I hate that we are losing a great mid-major (would you have been able to call him that anymore?) coach in CBB though. Those solid mid-major programs always provide entertainment in November and March, no matter their style (except against CUSE!). I was hoping he was a CBB lifer...

While I'm impressed by Stevens and what he's done at Butler, the NBA is a WHOLE different ballgame.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was back coaching in the NCAA in five years. Just my opinion.

Great move for Stevens. His salary will at least double and maybe even triple (would anyone on this board turn down that kind of salary increase?) Who knows, maybe he will be more Larry Brown than John Calipari and make a successful transition. And worst case scenario he struggles, and college jobs will be lining up to hire him in 2 or 3 years. It's a no-brainer.

Oh, and he gets to live in Boston instead of Indiana.

Ya know...after thinking about it...with the success of Thibs in Chicago, maybe his push-shove ball could work? He just needs the right bangers

You remember when Tark was hired by the Spurs and coached like 22 games and was fired. I'm thinking Stevens doesn't make it through 2 seasons.

The money has to be awesome for Stevens so good for him. He will be able to go back to college and coach again no matter the result.

The money has to be awesome for Stevens so good for him. He will be able to go back to college and coach again no matter the result.

Agreed - it's literally a can't-lose situation.

Bad for college hoops but great coach gets great opportunity.

He gets a chance to build an NBA team almost from scratch.
He'll have a ton of young players to mold with minimal expectations the first few years.

Bold, smart move by the Celtics, too.
Respected young guy to usher in a new era.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom