Brad Stevens | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Brad Stevens

This sucks for college hoops and make me dislike the NBA even more now.

According to his former assistants, he's had NBA ambitions for a while. But I suppose it's foolish to follow one's dream.

I can't tell if this is in jest, because what Stevens accomplished at Butler was beyond anyone's wildest dreams.

It's partly in jest. It's also true.

I can't stand the guy. When Kris Joseph meets him in my opinion he's welcome to suplex him, and be like, "Hey Coach, remember when Matt Howard body checked me out of bounds in the tournament? I do." Then, if I'm Danny Ainge, I don't even fine him for it, I resign him to a lucrative contract extension.

4 years would be a successful stint - the NBA median tenure is 2.61 years and the mean is 2 years.

Yeah I was gonna say; 4 years would a hell of a run.

There are currently 4 coaches in the NBA who have been with their team for at least 4 years. 15 coaches, or half of of the league, have been on the job for less than 1 year.

I would like this hire if I were a Celtics fan. I think Stevens has a great mind for the game. They probably aren't going to be any good any way for the next year or so; so if Stevens bombs, then he gets fired and you look for someone else, and you get a good pick in a loaded draft. If he's good, then you have a coach for the next few years.

completely disagree. Boston is a beautiful city.

Especially when you are in the income stratus level that he is now in. He gets a bit of everything in Boston - the ocean, beaches, mountains, city life, and the rest all within just an hour or two.

4 years would be a successful stint - the NBA median tenure is 2.61 years and the mean is 2 years.

OK. First of all I'll have to concede that the shrinking tenure of NBA head coaches dictates that a short stint may be considered acceptable by today’s expectations. But, successful? That is only determined by wins and losses. And even then, job security only comes with playoff wins and championships. Also, the coaching carousel in the NBA has placed a dozen head coaches with new teams (most ever) since the end of the season effectively resetting 40% of the league’s head coaching tenures to zero and greatly skewing the numbers. The real point here is that even if Brad keeps the job for 4 years (or more) no one, including Stevens, would consider the stint successful unless he's winning playoff series and reaching conference finals.

Edit- Personally, I'll be surprised if the Celtics win a single playoff series under Stevens.

OK. First of all I'll have to concede that the shrinking tenure of NBA head coaches dictates that a short stint may be considered acceptable by today’s expectations. But, successful? That is only determined by wins and losses. And even then, job security only comes with playoff wins and championships. Also, the coaching carousel in the NBA has placed a dozen head coaches with new teams (most ever) since the end of the season effectively resetting 40% of the league’s head coaching tenures to zero and greatly skewing the numbers. The real point here is that even if Brad keeps the job for 4 years (or more) no one, including Stevens, would consider the stint successful unless he's winning playoff series and reaching conference finals.

But if that's the mentality, then why would any human being accept a promotion to work at the highest level of their chosen profession? Maybe he'll be successful and maybe he won't, but you have to take a shot - and make a boatload of coin in the process.

But if that's the mentality, then why would any human being accept a promotion to work at the highest level of their chosen profession? Maybe he'll be successful and maybe he won't, but you have to take a shot - and make a boatload of coin in the process.
Well, I think it's fair to say that a promotion for most of us does not come with the same challenges, expectations and public scrutiny as the head coach of the Boston Celtics but you're right, you have push your chips in and take a chance if you want to be great.

I struggle to understand this decision for the Celtics as well as for Stevens. Sure there's big $$$ in it for Brad but his motivational tactics and ability to squeeze excellence out of lesser talent will be completely lost on the egos and attitudes of the NBA. And to begin this experiment in a market that expects and demands championships with unrealistic regularity? I'm surprised to say the least. 4 years, tops.

Outside of Rondo, who is left on the Celts with a big ego or is only slightly more than happy to be in the NBA. Brad's strengths are in motivation and team play. Plus, I think Ainge will support him in a very strong fashion and not be shy about telling a few players they might end up in Charlotte or that Portland may need some new players.
I agree with the four years, but that is a huge time frame with the first round picks the Celts have in the next few years and the ability of Brad to coach.

"Hey Rick, it's me Brad. Can you share with me some of the lessons you learned from your coaching journey?"

"Well, Brad, I went from being a national championship coach at Kentucky, to signing a 7-year $70 million deal with the Celtics, to being a national championship coach at Louisville. So yeah, I think I made all the correct decisions (minus the whole Karen Sypher incident)."

"Cool! Thanks, Rick!"

Not THOSE lessons (he's probably already learned that Pitino's career survived Boston) -- I mean Pitino's failure points not to be repeated (and, no, I don't mean "Don't go under the table with anyone but your wife").-VBOF:bat:

As others have commented, this makes me cherish the few remaining years of Coach James Boeheim even more. Its impossible to separate him with Syracuse Hoops .. an extraordinary legacy of very loyal man.

Even if he fails, the Celtics made a brilliant decision. Everyone on this board and fan of college basketball will watch the Celtics this year. I would never under normal circumstances watch a Celtics game unless it was the playoffs, but this gives me a reason to watch. Great way to get viewers after the dismantling of the old team.

As a Celtics fan I like the hire. Stevens got a 6 year contract so he will have security through the rebuilding. Rondo will get traded and the Celtics will bottom out. Stephens is young and will develop the young talent on the roster. Stevens turned down UCLA so he could have left there. I believe like many Stevens wanted the Indiana job while he was at Butler and Crean was on the hot seat and if he didnt turn the program around 2 years ago he would have been gone after 4 years and Stevens coming off back to back NC appearances would have been the guy. Now that Crean has turned IU around and won't be gone in the near future Stevens probably decided he wanted to leave Butler but only for an NBA job and the Celtics job appealed to him. The C's probably put a no-compete clause in his 6 yr contract like they did for Doc Rivers so Stevens can't quit and go back to college he will be with the Celtics unless they fire him.

Wow total shocker. That will tarnish his coaching stats as the Celtics are going to do a lot of losing the next couple of seasons. Reloading in the NBA is such a crap shoot. A team has to get lucky in the stupid draft lottery (losing isn't enough) and then be fortunate enough when it gets a top pick that there is actually a franchise player available that year and not a bunch of mediocre like this year. Even free agency with lots of cap space isn't a sure path as most good players want to buddy up on teams that already have at least one star. Can Rondo be a magnet? I guess he's going to be there until a big job opens in the B1G which is what he supposedly wants.

The Celtics struck out when they tanked in 1997 and 2007, maybe 3rd time's the charm?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom