Brandon Mullins | Syracusefan.com

Brandon Mullins

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
Now flash forward to 2011. Brandon Mullins faced the same choice as Hipps. He was the Texas 5A Defensive Player of the Year in football with 131 tackles and 11 sacks at Coppell.

Like Hipps, Mullins started playing lacrosse in grade school because all of his friends were playing. Like Hipps, Mullins became a prep All-American in lacrosse.

But Mullins had played multiple tournaments out east by then against the best that coast had to offer. So without hesitation he chose lacrosse, accepting a scholarship from national power Syracuse.

“When the letters and emails first started coming [from lacrosse schools], it was exciting to realize that this kind of thing was actually in reach,” Mullins said.

“But in the back of my mind, I always knew I could play with the high caliber guys. I had been on travel teams and played with the best of them. I knew I could compete with them. But it was still satisfying when the recruiting looks finally came.”

By his second season in 2014, Mullins was an All-ACC defenseman.

Johns Hopkins, Harvard, Cornell and Yale also have a Texas presence on their rosters, as does, of course, Syracuse.

“It’s kind of cool to be someone from Texas playing lacrosse at Syracuse,” Mullins said. “But it’s a goal that anyone who works hard down there is able to achieve.”

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/co...efore-texas-became-a-hotbed-for-the-sport.ece

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom