Break the bank open for Billy Donovan | Syracusefan.com

Break the bank open for Billy Donovan

OrangeFoo

All American
I think he's got max one more year at OKC... thats assuming he doesn't get canned after okc gets booted by houston this year.

Who says no? Beyond Billy Donovan that is. This is starting to smell more and more like Pitino/Calimari's short-lived forays into the pros. If Donovan does want to go back to the warm, comforting environs of a college campus where HE and not westbrook can be the rockstar then Syracuse needs to do everything in their power to make the Carrier Dome Donovan's next home.

Dude makes 6 million a year. His last year at Florida he was 16-17. I think he's done with college.

Dude makes 6 million a year. His last year at Florida he was 16-17. I think he's done with college.

wow, I never would've guessed 16-17 his last year there. (probably cause he was 36-3 the year before)

I don't see him going back to college though.

I'm holding out for Popovich.
I have a vision of Pop taking the job, then walking into the 1st day of practice and going...'wheres all the players?'

umm, coach...you have to go get them to come here. its called recruiting.

Pop..."im out of here".

as we get 15 walk-ons to play and Moten hired off some Z-league team to coach.

wow, I never would've guessed 16-17 his last year there. (probably cause he was 36-3 the year before)

I don't see him going back to college though.
Did you say the same thing about Pitino, Calamari, Saban (if you want to switch sports)? I no nothing about Donovan personally so I really have no idea but I do know that he is basically counting time until OKC figures out what they want to do next. I'm not sure he's an astute of a coach for another franchise to make him all that hot of a commodity. Some people are college coaches and some can coach in the pros... we'll find out which one Donovan is either this offseason or next, but unless you are Billy Donovan I don't think you can guarantee that he'll never coach college.

Who wins in a cranky contest... Pop vs. JB. That would be like Ali/Frazier.
might as well just hijack this thread.

so this weekend April 15th to be precise was the anniversary of Hagler-Hearns...and the entire fight was making its way around both Facebook and Twitter.

remember watching that live.

Fn awesome.

the greatest 8 minutes in boxing history.

Is Donovan really on the hot seat? He was a game away from the Finals last year, and had a solid year this year with a roster that is pretty mediocre minus one incredible player.
That roster is actually not the mediocre... they have a bunch of high draft picks playing. NBA teams are funny, they are all about windows and maximizing the length of a window vs minimizing the amount of time they suck. I think a good NBA GM's worst nightmare is team that is good enough to finish in 5/6 seed of a conference but not good enough to make it to the NBA finals... they either want to be really bad or really good. OKC is in mediocre rage and looks like they will be for a while so I don't think Donovan's job is safe especially given that Presti is such a modern GM. He's in a bad position as Westbrook's career has a very real chance of going the Melo route as an uber-talented player whom you can't build a team around.

Did you say the same thing about Pitino, Calamari, Saban (if you want to switch sports)? I no nothing about Donovan personally so I really have no idea but I do know that he is basically counting time until OKC figures out what they want to do next. I'm not sure he's an astute of a coach for another franchise to make him all that hot of a commodity. Some people are college coaches and some can coach in the pros... we'll find out which one Donovan is either this offseason or next, but unless you are Billy Donovan I don't think you can guarantee that he'll never coach college.

I definitely can't guarantee it, but I would say that the guys you're mentioning kinda failed out of the pros. Donovan made the west finals last year, he's made the playoffs this year, I'm not saying he'll stay in OKC forever, but he's had some success. I don't see why he wouldn't get another gig.

Plus nba coaching salaries seem to be skyrocketing.

I definitely can't guarantee it, but I would say that the guys you're mentioning kinda failed out of the pros. Donovan made the west finals last year, he's made the playoffs this year, I'm not saying he'll stay in OKC forever, but he's had some success. I don't see why he wouldn't get another gig.

Plus nba coaching salaries seem to be skyrocketing.
In coaching circles I Donovan got criticized because he wasn't able to put together an offense that incorporate both Westbrook and Durant. Now this is Westbrook's team and that's it.

The chances of him coming to SU are astronomically low, but that point aside, I love everything about Billy Donovan. He would definitely be in my Top 5 of human beings on the planet to come coach us.

might as well just hijack this thread.

so this weekend April 15th to be precise was the anniversary of Hagler-Hearns...and the entire fight was making its way around both Facebook and Twitter.

remember watching that live.

Fn awesome.

the greatest 8 minutes in boxing history.
Marvelous Marvin Hagler. My favorite. He had to beat everyone to get a decent chance at big time money because nobody wanted to fight him and nobody liked his manager. And don't talk to me about the Leonard fight. :mad:

The only footage I've seen of Hagler is when he made a guest appearance on Punky Brewster that one time and all the kids were in awe of his championship belt.

In coaching circles I Donovan got criticized because he wasn't able to put together an offense that incorporate both Westbrook and Durant. Now this is Westbrook's team and that's it.

Scott Brooks had the same criticism and he signed a $35 million deal with Washington

The only footage I've seen of Hagler is when he made a guest appearance on Punky Brewster that one time and all the kids were in awe of his championship belt.
oh my.

google it.

I cant post a youtube link at work or I would.

Donovan wouldn't get another NBA job after OKC.
He will follow the Lon Kruger I took an NBA job for insane money and will eventually end back up in college route.
I have been saying Donovan will be Pitino's replacement at Louisville for a while. Pitino doesn't have much longer and Donovan is a Pitino protege and he would get a high salary from Louisville.
I don't see Syracuse paying top of the market money for JB's replacement. We will pay market rate but don't see us going from Wegman spending to Whole Foods spending for the next coach.

That roster is actually not the mediocre... they have a bunch of high draft picks playing. NBA teams are funny, they are all about windows and maximizing the length of a window vs minimizing the amount of time they suck. I think a good NBA GM's worst nightmare is team that is good enough to finish in 5/6 seed of a conference but not good enough to make it to the NBA finals... they either want to be really bad or really good. OKC is in mediocre rage and looks like they will be for a while so I don't think Donovan's job is safe especially given that Presti is such a modern GM. He's in a bad position as Westbrook's career has a very real chance of going the Melo route as an uber-talented player whom you can't build a team around.
Why can't you build a team around Westbrook? The guy just averaged a triple double (for a season!)

Scott Brooks had the same criticism and he signed a $35 million deal with Washington
I thought OKC fired Brooks to try and keep Durant.
After that came out I thought Durant tried to deny it but he ordered the code red.
35 million is chump change that plus 1 more million gets you 3 years of Phil Jackson as the President of your franchise.

I thought OKC fired Brooks to try and keep Durant.
After that came out I thought Durant tried to deny it but he ordered the code red.
35 million is chump change that plus 1 more million gets you 3 years of Phil Jackson as the President of your franchise.

It's not chump change for a college team though, which is my point. There's a ton of money in being an NBA head coach.

Why can't you build a team around Westbrook? The guy just averaged a triple double (for a season!)

This:

There is no player in the league that would be as miserable to play with as him. Anyone that votes for him over Harden for MVP because of 2 rebounds per game is just blind.