Break the bank open for Billy Donovan | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Break the bank open for Billy Donovan

I don't see why Donovan would leave the NBA to go back to a college gig. Even if OKC cans him, plenty of other NBA teams would have interest and offer more money than any college programs would.

This:

There is no player in the league that would be as miserable to play with as him. Anyone that votes for him over Harden for MVP because of 2 rebounds per game is just blind.
So the Thunder have concocted an entire defensive scheme around getting Westbrook rebounds? That's just patently absurd.

Donovan will take 50 million of Jimmy Dolans dollars once that jerk realizes Phil has failed

Would love for Billy Donovan to come to SU, but I'd imagine he'll be on the short list to replace the guys at Duke, UNC, & Louisville, amongst others. Stranger things have happened, though.

Syracuse doesn't break the bank open for anything. You haven't learned that by now? And whoever thinks Jay Wright or Billy Donovan would come here is delusional.

Would love for Billy Donovan to come to SU, but I'd imagine he'll be on the short list to replace the guys at Duke, UNC, & Louisville, amongst others. Stranger things have happened, though.

I don't think the Louisville job is necessarily above the Syracuse job, assuming the pay is equal.

I don't think Duke will go outside the K tree, and I DEFINITELY think UNC will stay in the family.

Duke will go with Wojo or Collins - whichever is more successful at the time that K retires. I think Collins has the lead now.

I don't think Duke will go outside the K tree, and I DEFINITELY think UNC will stay in the family.

Who is there in the UNC family? George Karl? Larry Brown?

Who is there in the UNC family? George Karl? Larry Brown?
Depends when Roy leaves.

If King Rice goes from Monmouth to a P5 school and is successful, he might get a shot at UNC. CB McGrath has some time to show he can be successful at UNC-Wilmington.

I'd lol if it was Hubert Davis though.

Syracuse doesn't break the bank open for anything. You haven't learned that by now? And whoever thinks Jay Wright or Billy Donovan would come here is delusional.
I never can understand this statement about a head coach, whether the it's football, hoops, hell even lax. It's as if they are too good for the Syracuse job...please. You offer the right money and they will come...buuuuttttt, the money is the problem. SU will never pay like a big boy.

I never can understand this statement about a head coach, whether the it's football, hoops, hell even lax. It's as if they are too good for the Syracuse job...please. You offer the right money and they will come...buuuuttttt, the money is the problem. SU will never pay like a big boy.

Saying Jay Wright is going to leave Nova to
coach Syracuse Basketball would be like Dabo leaving Clemson to replace Jimbo Fisher. It makes no sense a coach would
leave the program they built for a rival.

Yeah, Jay Wright would leave the Main Line to move to Syracuse.
It's not the job, it's the city.

I don't think the Louisville job is necessarily above the Syracuse job, assuming the pay is equal.
Interesting - just curious why? Do you think SU is a better job? Obviously money won't be equal but the programs are an interesting comparison.

This:

There is no player in the league that would be as miserable to play with as him. Anyone that votes for him over Harden for MVP because of 2 rebounds per game is just blind.

I think Westbrook is a good MVP candidate. The rebounding/lack of defense really irks me, but he's still had a phenomenal season.

Harden absolutely has my vote though.

Based on the votes that have been made public so far, it seems like it's probably a pretty close race, but Westbrook is in the lead and will likely end up winning.

I had to review Donovan's record. I thought there were a few more NIT appearances sprinkled between his spectacular seasons, but only 2007-08 and 2008-09. If he can do what he has done at a football school like Florida, that's really impressive. I'd be surprised if he left the NBA to go back to college but it's been done before.

Assuming pay is equal (which is a big question) I think they are more or less equal? Same league; Lville is probably a more attractive city to live in. They have a much newer building. History seems about equal to me? I think probably slight edge to Lville, but nothing ridiculous.

Interesting - just curious why? Do you think SU is a better job? Obviously money won't be equal but the programs are an interesting comparison.

The programs have been pretty equal in success, they have similar sized fanbases, both have top facilities but in different ways(they've got the shiny, new arena, we've got the bigger, more recognizable, iconic building). Louisville is warmer, Syracuse is closer to major cities full of recruits. Same league.

The programs have been pretty equal in success, they have similar sized fanbases, both have top facilities but in different ways(they've got the shiny, new arena, we've got the bigger, more recognizable, iconic building). Louisville is warmer, Syracuse is closer to major cities full of recruits. Same league.

I'd say this is a pretty good assessment. Louisville does have Mr Papa John's to help with their financial needs but I believe he has been critical of their AD in recent weeks, so not sure what might be going on there.