Breakdown of the Pods | Syracusefan.com

Breakdown of the Pods

Marsh01

Living Legend
Sent to me by a former famous poster who doesnt post anymore and knows more about the pod system than I can think of. Live and breathes this stuff and this should be taken to the bank:

Okay, this morning once the fog of last night cleared and I had some time, I was able to line by line go through the S Curve and allocate the teams to each pod. And things look a lot more clearer to me now. Below I have listed the 16 pods (8 sites) in order of which ones are most locked down. I placed into the pods, 9 teams about which there really is no doubt. These are lock city. For example, no doubt about St. Louis and Raleigh and who is going into each of their 2 pods. The other 7 pods are listed as OPEN. Then at the bottom are teams NOT placed into the pods, starting with 3 seeds then going to the 4s and 5s. We definitely are at the top of that list. Bottom line: as of this morning we are a 3 seed and in the Buffalo pod still. We have another chance to LOCK it up it at FSU Sunday. Lose that and we enter big danger/murky zone heading into the ACC Tourney. Then, we’d definitely have to win that quarterfinal game against Pitt or Clemson or FSU. So far, we have benefitted from teams like Creighton, Iowa State, Mich. State and Cincy losing to help us. But we NEED a win. As you can see below, San Antonio and Spokane are WIDE OPEN to gobble up the teams that end up on the 4 and 5 seed lines. And San Diego may grab one as well for its second spot.

THE PODS

ST. LOUIS

Wichita St. (1)
Kansas (1)

RALEIGH

Duke (2)
Virginia (2)

MILWAUKEE

Wisconsin (2)
Michigan (3)

SAN DIEGO

Arizona (1)
OPEN

ORLANDO

Florida (1)
OPEN

BUFFALO

Villanova (2)
OPEN

SPOKANE

OPEN
OPEN

SAN ANTONIO

OPEN
OPEN

POTENTIAL 3 SEED & 4 SEED TEAMS NOT PLACED INTO A POD YET

Syracuse (3) -- Buffalo
San Diego State (3) -- Spokane
North Carolina

-----------------

Iowa State
Creighton
Michigan State
Cincinnati

5 SEED TYPES THAT COULD ENTER THE PICTURE

Oklahoma
UCLA
Louisville
UConn

The biggest threat, imo is if Iowa State were to reach the Big 12 final or win the Big 12 tourney AND either Michigan or Michigan State reach the Big 10 final. In that scenario, Iowa State would likely get their 1st choice of Milwaukee, meaning Milwaukee could be filled with Wisconsin and ISU. (Ames is slightly closer to Milwaukee than St. Louis, but St. Louis is pretty much spoken for with WSU and Kansas).

That would leave us fighting with UM or MSU for Buffalo.

Two teams are certainly helping us out.

Ohio State. Had they been on the 1-2-3 line they would have been in Buffalo
Creighton losing 2 straight.

The biggest threat, imo is if Iowa State were to reach the Big 12 final or win the Big 12 tourney AND either Michigan or Michigan State reach the Big 10 final. In that scenario, Iowa State would likely get their 1st choice of Milwaukee, meaning Milwaukee could be filled with Wisconsin and ISU. (Ames is slightly closer to Milwaukee than St. Louis, but St. Louis is pretty much spoken forwith WSU and Kansas).

Iowa State losing last night really hurt them

I havent read through all of them so sorry if I missed something.
I think Iowa State can pretty much be put into San Antonio where their non-conference wins over Michigan, Iowa, BYU and Big XII 10-7 record. Creighton as well can clinch San Antonio if they beat Providence at home.
To me
I think the 4 seeds 2 of them go to Spokane, 1 of them will go Orlando and the other to San Diego.

I think Iowa State can pretty much be put into San Antonio where their non-conference wins over Michigan, Iowa, BYU and Big XII 10-7 record. Creighton as well can clinch San Antonio if they beat Providence at home.
To me
I think the 4 seeds 2 of them go to Spokane, 1 of them will go Orlando and the other to San Diego.

Absolutely. Spokane is a 4 seed wasteland.

The biggest threat, imo is if Iowa State were to reach the Big 12 final or win the Big 12 tourney AND either Michigan or Michigan State reach the Big 10 final. In that scenario, Iowa State would likely get their 1st choice of Milwaukee, meaning Milwaukee could be filled with Wisconsin and ISU. (Ames is slightly closer to Milwaukee than St. Louis, but St. Louis is pretty much spoken for with WSU and Kansas).

Michigan State is on the 4 line now and they play @Ohio State on the weekend. Michigan State is likely to be a 4 seed in the tournament will be sent to Spokane, San Diego or Orlando.

Iowa State I guess if they won the Big XII could get the Milwaukee spot and slide Michigan to Buffalo, but Iowa State fits Texas better as its Big XII country and they have struggled like we have down the stretch.

i could easily see cincinatti or michigan st coveting buffalo also.

It has been my understanding that the first three seeds are protected and therefore would always be placed in the pod closest to their home. No way they put UNC in buffalo ahead of SU. We are a 2 seed right now, IMO. The last 2 seed but still a 2. If we lose to FSU and our first ACCT game then all bets are off. However, if you are saying at present SU is a solid 3 then there is no way SU does not get Buffalo.

It has been my understanding that the first three seeds are protected and therefore would always be placed in the pod closest to their home. No way they put UNC in buffalo ahead of SU. We are a 2 seed right now, IMO. The last 2 seed but still a 2. If we lose to FSU and our first ACCT game then all bets are off. However, if you are saying at present SU is a solid 3 then there is no way SU does not get Buffalo.

A solid three assuming we take care of business Sunday. If we dont then all bets are off.

The key is to NOT fall to the 4 seed line. I mean hypothetically if we lose Sunday and then lose in the ACC quarters we will go 2 and a half weeks without a victory and could easily see us slip to a 4 seed. Hell we went from NIT to a damn 5 seed in 2006 because of our run.

Syracuse isn't a 2 seed right now IMO
top 8 Florida, Arizona, Wichita State, Kansas, Wisconsin, Duke, Virginia, Michigan
We are a 3 seed and if we end up a 3 seed we should be fine for Buffalo. If we beat Florida State and win our first ACC game we could become a 2 seed.

Syracuse isn't a 2 seed right now IMO
top 8 Florida, Arizona, Wichita State, Kansas, Wisconsin, Duke, Virginia, Michigan
We are a 3 seed and if we end up a 3 seed we should be fine for Buffalo. If we beat Florida State and win our first ACC game we could become a 2 seed.
and if we lose to FSU and win first ACCT game?

i honestly dont care that much about this. i said this after the BC game. where you play matters less. who youre playing is more important and HOW youre playing is most important. we wont get out of buffalo playing like this.

I currently have us,duke and Michigan very close between spots 8-10 on my s curve.

lose to FSU and win first acc tourney game= we drop to last 3

beat fsu and make semis of acc tourney=top 3 seed

lose to fsu and first acc tourney game= 4 seed

beat fsu and make acc tourney finals- 2 seed

and if we lose to FSU and win first ACCT game?
We need 1 more win to feel good about a 3 seed because all these top teams keeping losing as well. I think we will end up being a 3 seed unless we win our next 2 games. If we lose our next 2 games then a 4 seed comes into play.

I currently have us,duke and Michigan very close between spots 8-10 on my s curve.

lose to FSU and win first acc tourney game= we drop to last 3

beat fsu and make semis of acc tourney=top 3 seed

lose to fsu and first acc tourney game= 4 seed

beat fsu and make acc tourney finals- 2 seed

And to think I got crap for saying we were an 8-15 team. :(. I wish it wasn't true, this is a disaster.

Absolutely. Spokane is a 4 seed wasteland.

It has been this way for a number of years -- whether it is Seattlle, Portland, Boise or whatever -- the Northwest or West is a dumping ground for pod teams. . And these are often lower revenue's because of it. Since the pod's have no association with a region, you would think by now the NCAA would have changed it.

But instead of changing it, the NCAA went one step further next year.

It has pod's in both Seattle and Portland.

It has been this way for a number of years -- whether it is Seattlle, Portland, Boise or whatever -- the Northwest or West is a dumping ground for pod teams. . And these are often lower revenue's because of it. Since the pod's have no association with a region, you would think by now the NCAA would have changed it.

But instead of changing it, the NCAA went one step further next year.

It has pod's in both Seattle and Portland.
The NCAA always has 2 western sites. I am guessing their is no California sub-regional, or Salt Lake, Boise, Tucson with Portland and Seattle. The Pac-12, Gonzaga have usually filed up 2 of those 4 slots and then the last 4 seeds have been sent out there like us and St. Louis last year in San Jose. The NCAA should just have 1 western site and put that 2nd slot more in the Midwest area so its a middle ground.

A solid three assuming we take care of business Sunday. If we dont then all bets are off.

The key is to NOT fall to the 4 seed line. I mean hypothetically if we lose Sunday and then lose in the ACC quarters we will go 2 and a half weeks without a victory and could easily see us slip to a 4 seed. Hell we went from NIT to a damn 5 seed in 2006 because of our run.

I think this is spot on here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom