Breaking Roberson News... | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Breaking Roberson News...

This is a judgment call, but I dont see 24 mpg as much of a bold prediction for Rak ... since he averaged almost 21 mpg last year. In fact, if the C games were any indication, I think he will hit that mid-range jumper more often. Since he only put up, what, 5-6 ppg last year, I see that improving.

As far as Grant, he's likely to explode this year and will play a lot. But that won't kill Rak's minutes ... JB likes to bring offense off the bench, and Rak also plays the 5. So I think i'm sticking for now ... but it'll be interesting to see how the (loaded) forward minutes play out.

I think the competition is stiffer among the squad for minutes, and I think the opposition will be less physical in the ACC (for the most part), making the necessity of starting 2 bigs not a necessity at all, but a detriment if Coleman or Christmas cannot get themselves up to the 8 ppg level.

If we can't generate any low post offense from either of them, they can't both be on the floor this year, especially with our questions at the 2G, where if we find a 10 ppg scorer from among Cooney, Silent G and BJ Johnson, it'll be a miracle.

Sure, but I'm not counting on a non-starting frosh to consistently deliver double figure scoring pop off the bench.

If he's capable of doing that, then wow--we really are loaded. My expectation is that he'll be a very good player who contributes in a lot of ways--especially rebounding / shot blocking, but that his scoring will be inconsistent.

He's actually the best at scoring around the rim of any of the incoming frosh. I see him getting into the rotation. I don't necessarily see it as being at BJ's expense, because I see BJ (this year, at least) as trying to make it at the 2G behind Cooney.

This is not a knock on Roberson it is what a lot of good players go through at SU when this is working right - Grant and MCW come to mind.

This is a excellent point.
MCW is really a interesting comparison because he had to sit behind scoop, Dion and Triche. Grant is a interesting comparison becuase he didn't have the drive or scoring ability as a fresh, Southerland and Fair were more likely to score twice as much every game.

MCW also lacked scoring in the lane, and wasn't ready to play SF, neither could Dion, Scoop or Triche move to forward. If he was ready to score in the lane as a freshmen he could have been a scoring beast his whole sophmore year instead of just the last quarter. MCW and Dion could run the offense better, score better and had better isolation then freshmen mike.

I think there is some chance for Grant, or Roberson to move to the two, for some minutes every game. MCW and Grant didn't have the luxuary of a swingman who could. WHo knows if it works out we could see Grant only get 15-20 of his minutes at forward.

This is a excellent point.
MCW is really a interesting comparison because he had to sit behind scoop, Dion and Triche. Grant is a interesting comparison becuase he didn't have the drive or scoring ability as a fresh, Southerland and Fair were more likely to score twice as much every game.

MCW also lacked scoring in the lane, and wasn't ready to play SF, neither could Dion, Scoop or Triche move to forward. If he was ready to score in the lane as a freshmen he could have been a scoring beast his whole sophmore year instead of just the last quarter. MCW and Dion could run the offense better, score better and had better isolation then freshmen mike.

I think there is some chance for Grant, or Roberson to move to the two, for some minutes every game. MCW and Grant didn't have the luxuary of a swingman who could. WHo knows if it works out we could see Grant only get 15-20 of his minutes at forward.

Nope. None. Zero. If a forward plays guard it's going to be Silent G - who is already the backup PG, and BJ as the shooting guard. There is ZERO chance that Grant or Roberson play in the backcourt.

I think the competition is stiffer among the squad for minutes, and I think the opposition will be less physical in the ACC (for the most part), making the necessity of starting 2 bigs not a necessity at all, but a detriment if Coleman or Christmas cannot get themselves up to the 8 ppg level.

If we can't generate any low post offense from either of them, they can't both be on the floor this year, especially with our questions at the 2G, where if we find a 10 ppg scorer from among Cooney, Silent G and BJ Johnson, it'll be a miracle.

ACC front lines are nothing to sleep on. Plumley and Jabari Parker have as much size as we'll see all year. UNC also has quality bigs (JMM for one). So we may need our twin towers often, at least to start. After that ... it comes down to matchups and game production. CJ will be a horse, and Grant will bring badly-needed offense off the bench. CJ (14.6 ppg) will probably have to score 16-18, and I like Grant to go from 4 to 10. That's the good news.

The bad news is ... (as you predict) I don't see our low-block offense improving significantly this year. I'm hopeful our inside guys (DC2 and Rak) can go from about 10 ppg collectively to about 15. If that doesn't happen, I agree with you that either Rak or DC2 (or both) will loose minutes.

I am also concerned about offensive issues in the backcourt. No way TE and TC make up the 25 ppg that MCW/BT gave us. If TE scores 10 a game, that will be excellent for a freshman. SG is totally up for grabs, and my confidence level in TC is shaky. BJ's learning zone D, and has a nice stroke, but who knows if he'll be reliable from outside and able to make the necessary defensive adjustments. So there are some questions there.

Even if everything goes well, I'm not sure our 70 ppg average would improve more than 3-4 points. Our D will be nasty.

I have to give it to orangefan13. The man is persistent, and he knows what he wants!
I'll build on Matt's post.

I believe we see either Grant or Roberson playing Center before they play guard. And that's with a three-headed monster already!
I know that part of this idea is based on the need for having a spare guard. But we already have that in BJ and Buss.

I Roberson's time will come next year. I see him getting Grant-type minutes (from last year) this season.

IMHO, in terms of talent, FR Roberson > FR Grant. I really like Grant, and I certainly don't see him at SU for too much longer, but I think Roberson is ahead of where Grant was, so I see him getting more run. Luckily, Roberson will not get enough time to explode this season. But watch out for next year. It could be the greatest collection of Forwards in SU's history with a JR Grant, SO Roberson & FR McCullough! (not individually, obviously, but as a group)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom