Breaking Roberson News... | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Breaking Roberson News...

Wow. great news.

My guess as to how playing time will be doled out come conference time....

Pretty deep and talented team. .

My take on the rotation minutes:

Coleman 10
Christmas 15
Keita 15
Obokoh Red Shirt

Fair 32
Grant 28
Roberson 20

Ennis 32
Cooney 25
Johnson 13
Gbinije 10

Patterson 5 in November / December - odd man out in ACC time

My take on the rotation minutes:

Coleman 10
Christmas 15
Keita 15
Obokoh Red Shirt

Fair 32
Grant 28
Roberson 20

Ennis 32
Cooney 25
Johnson 13
Gbinije 10

Patterson 5 in November / December - odd man out in ACC time

Almost exactly what I had. Dead on at center. Forward I had a few more for Fair a few less for Grant. Guard I had a few more for Ennis and G and less for Johnson.,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's my take, same as in the minutes thread:

PG - Ennis/MG 32/8 PG
SG - Cooney/BJ/Patterson 20/16/4 (keep an eye on that rearview mirror, Trevor)
SF - CJ/TR 32/8
PF - Rak/Grant/TR 14/20/6
C - DC/Keita/Rak 10/20/10

Here's my take, same as in the minutes thread:

PG - Ennis/MG 32/8 PG
SG - Cooney/BJ/Patterson 20/16/4 (keep an eye on that rearview mirror, Trevor)
SF - CJ/TR 32/8
PF - Rak/Grant/TR 14/20/6
C - DC/Keita/Rak 10/20/10

I don't see Christmas playing 25 minutes a game if he can't score. We are going to need a lot of offense from our forwards this year. I think Rak is going to maybe get his first 4 minutes at PF with Coleman at Center, but I would really prefer Boeheim to start both Fair and Grant, once Roberson is in practice and into the swing of things.

I think the minutes battle is still up in the air. Roberson is a wild card. He is the popular pick because he is the newcomer. You never know with freshman but he looks to be the real deal. I think that Keita, Coleman, and Rak will battle it out for big man minutes and someone will come out on the short end of the stick. Boeheim can't keep everyone happy and the forwards are too good not to get the majority of the minutes at the 3 and 4.

Judging by last year and the games in Canada, who gets how many minutes at the 5 may be highly dependent on the foul situation.

Judging by last year and the games in Canada, who gets how many minutes at the 5 may be highly dependent on the foul situation.

Or who is playing better any particular night. I think that the centers will be handled identically to the 09-10 season--both bigs start, one comes out depending on matchups / which of the two happens to be playing better / foul situation.

Or who is playing better any particular night. I think that the centers will be handled identically to the 09-10 season--both bigs start, one comes out depending on matchups / which of the two happens to be playing better / foul situation.
I think it will be similar to last year, but I would be surprised if DC2 gets the hook as early in each game as last year.

I don't see Christmas playing 25 minutes a game if he can't score. We are going to need a lot of offense from our forwards this year. I think Rak is going to maybe get his first 4 minutes at PF with Coleman at Center, but I would really prefer Boeheim to start both Fair and Grant, once Roberson is in practice and into the swing of things.

This is a judgment call, but I dont see 24 mpg as much of a bold prediction for Rak ... since he averaged almost 21 mpg last year. In fact, if the C games were any indication, I think he will hit that mid-range jumper more often. Since he only put up, what, 5-6 ppg last year, I see that improving.

As far as Grant, he's likely to explode this year and will play a lot. But that won't kill Rak's minutes ... JB likes to bring offense off the bench, and Rak also plays the 5. So I think i'm sticking for now ... but it'll be interesting to see how the (loaded) forward minutes play out.

Last edited:
I think you're right, but I don't like it one bit. Why not start Fair/Grant or similar (wink wink)? It's not like we're giving up much in height in Grant over DC2 if Rak starts at 5. I'd rather have mobility at the 3 and 4 for defensive purposes.

I think you're right, but I don't like it one bit. Why not start Fair/Grant or similar (wink wink)? It's not like we're giving up much in height in Grant over DC2 if Rak starts at 5. I'd rather have mobility at the 3 and 4 for defensive purposes.

I think Grant plays starter minutes, and it is more important who finishes than who starts.

JB seems to really like the luxury of bringing a potent scorer off of the bench, and having Grant sub accomplishes that.

If you start Fair/Grant it would be really hard to work Rak in at the pf. If you don't get Rak any time at the pf, you would have the 3 upperclassman centers splitting 40 minutes while Fair/Grant and Roberson split 80.

From a long term perspective it just seems like you start Rak and those minutes are at the expense of Roberson. IMO, Roberson is much like Grant was last year. A very talented player that will be brought in and have his role increased. Grant got about 14mpg last year and I would expect about the same for Roberson. This is not a knock on Roberson it is what a lot of good players go through at SU when this is working right - Grant and MCW come to mind.

JB seems to really like the luxury of bringing a potent scorer off of the bench, and having Grant sub accomplishes that.
What if Roberson is as good as we hope/think, and he develops nicely pre-ACC. Couldn't he be the "potent scorer off the bench"?

I think Grant plays starter minutes, and it is more important who finishes than who starts.

If you start Fair/Grant it would be really hard to work Rak in at the pf. If you don't get Rak any time at the pf, you would have the 3 upperclassman centers splitting 40 minutes while Fair/Grant and Roberson split 80.

From a long term perspective it just seems like you start Rak and those minutes are at the expense of Roberson. IMO, Roberson is much like Grant was last year. A very talented player that will be brought in and have his role increased. Grant got about 14mpg last year and I would expect about the same for Roberson. This is not a knock on Roberson it is what a lot of good players go through at SU when this is working right - Grant and MCW come to mind.

Both of these are very good points. Grant will get his share regardless, and splitting the minutes by giving Rak some run at 4 spreads it out more, gives us more energy down the stretch. Not only that, but in case of the unforeseen, we do have great quality waiting in the wings.

What if Roberson is as good as we hope/think, and he develops nicely pre-ACC. Couldn't he be the "potent scorer off the bench"?

Sure, but I'm not counting on a non-starting frosh to consistently deliver double figure scoring pop off the bench.

If he's capable of doing that, then wow--we really are loaded. My expectation is that he'll be a very good player who contributes in a lot of ways--especially rebounding / shot blocking, but that his scoring will be inconsistent.

Our center spot is clearly going to be by committee, and I'd rather start the two bigs so that they eat some early fouls. I'd rather keep Grant in The Microwave role, as you said. It also keeps him away from a very early whistle.

Boeheim will play the 2 guard that matches up the best vs the type of team SU is playing. Cooney will probably get a decent amount of minutes but the position is pretty open and if a lot of quickness is needed Patterson will get his minutes. It'll probably be a rotation mixed in with Fair and Grant as well...hopefully somebody steps up other than those two but I still see a lot of inconsistency from the big guys. That said I still have no clue on how good Roberson really is so that could change things.

Both of these are very good points. Grant will get his share regardless, and splitting the minutes by giving Rak some run at 4 spreads it out more, gives us more energy down the stretch. Not only that, but in case of the unforeseen, we do have great quality waiting in the wings.
I also think having this depth of talent really helps for the potential unforeseen. If any center or forward has problems there is talent coverage. I also think that very quickly Roberson will move ahead in the depth chart for end of game situations, meaning if anything happens with the other two forwards it would be Roberson finishing out games.

It's a great situation with the forwards, staggered talented depth. A position of strength. We need to get the guard situation up to this level.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom