Brent gaffe...he started by saying he was Kirk and | Syracusefan.com

Brent gaffe...he started by saying he was Kirk and

dasher

Living Legend
he was working the game with Brent. kirk just sat smirking.

I caught that. At least he didn't make any stalker comments about girls young enough to be his granddaughter. With FSU, you know there were a few there he could've picked out.

He should consider retiring. He has a great voice, but he isn't really competent any more.

Agreed. He didn't do the last 5 minutes of that game any justice. The game was much more dramatic than his call. Losing some on the fast ball. And this coming from a big Brent guy. Tonight was not his best performance.

He should consider retiring. He has a great voice, but he isn't really competent any more.

Totally agree. He is a chatty old man whoever ruins the game because he talks over everything.

I strongly disagree. I enjoy when broadcasters are incompetent, if they're incompetent in the right ways. Musburger is.

Also, there's this:
brent.jpg

Brent sucks sec homer pulling for auburn entire game, couldn't listen and stuff especially when auburn got up and started talking trash about ACC.

Last edited:
Musberger has his biases like he loves the B1G and Notre Dame a little too much for me, but he IS THE BEST current college football announcer right now. Unless ESPN would give the job to Sean McDonough I would prefer Musberger over the douche Chris Fowler who wants the job. Other good announcer are Joe Tessitore, and Rece Davis, but give me Musberger over Fowler and Brad Nessler. I can't imagine college football without Brent.

Fowler comes off as snide and extremely arrogant I can not stand that guy. I'd take Brent over Flowler every time, he's like a drunk uncle that embarrasses you but you can't stop listening to.

I agree. Love Musburger

If you like outrageously horrible overstatements, he's your guy.

"They have never faced an SEC defense! They haven't see these kinds of athletes!"
Yup, except when they play Florida every year.

He spent the whole game building the "SEC is pro football" narrative - until the kick return. Then he was slack jawed and had no energy in his calls. Horrible stuff.

If you like outrageously horrible overstatements, he's your guy.

"They have never faced an SEC defense! They haven't see these kinds of athletes!"
Yup, except when they play Florida every year.

He spent the whole game building the "SEC is pro football" narrative - until the kick return. Then he was slack jawed and had no energy in his calls. Horrible stuff.

People read too much into these things. Hes got a great voice and I have always enjoyed listening to him call a game. I dont care who he pimps or favors. not one of us had a dog in the fight last night. This whole "we are in the ACC and shame on announcers for favoring the SEC" is crap. I dont root for conferences. I root for Syracuse.

One of my best friends that passed away last year had a bad encounter with Brent after the Final Four at a party. It was the kind of event where if a kid comes up and says hi, you at least say hi back before you walk away. Musberger supposedly told him to get away from him in a way that a normal person just doesn't talk to a 12- or 13-year-old kid. Third party info, fwiw.

The worst was the backhanded compliment at the end of the game. "FSU is the first non- SEC team to win the championship in six years, but keep in mind they modeled their team after the SEC."

Madsoph44 said:
The worst was the backhanded compliment at the end of the game. "FSU is the first non- SEC team to win the championship in six years, but keep in mind they modeled their team after the SEC."

I don't know what that means other than going after the biggest, fastest and most talented players. Other than some B1G traditionalists, isnt that what everyone tries to do?

He has a great voice. The best really. But he introduced himself as Kirk and just doesn't make sense. Maybe if they brought a third guy in the booth so he wasn't forced to carry such a heavy load. Think he, Kirk and McDonough would be great together.

Yup. The other thing is, i heard them mention the SEC a lot. The ACC not so much.

Yup. The other thing is, i heard them mention the SEC a lot. The ACC not so much.

To be fair, what about the ACC this year was there to talk about? Virginia Tech and Miami underwhelming again??? I guess they could've talked about Duke, but if they did it would have been along the vein "can you believe Duke was good?" and we'd be complaining about how condescending that was. Outside Florida State and Clemson, there wasn't a whole lot to talk about. I'm ok with them holding up the SEC conference as the superior conference...because it is. And with the way the game started out, it looked like the SEC just exerting itself again, and an opponent being overwhelmed by the quality of the SEC.

Problem was, that story changed and FSU stopped the bleeding, but Brent and Herbie's attitude towards the game really didn't change with the game. I think what bothered me the most was they were all over Gus Malzahn's jock the entire game (and he's done an unbelievable job there), but there was not a lot of talk about Jimbo at all. The storyline probably should've been the in-game adjustments Florida State made defensively and then how they turned the tide on offense.

The whole thing just seemed lazy to me.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom