RPI, SOS | Syracusefan.com

RPI, SOS

CorduroyG

Hall of Fame
Do those things just not matter anymore? I didnt double check, but brent axe on his postgame podcast said we are 28 in rpi and 6 sos. 5-10 years ago we’d be considered a LOCK!!!!

Is NET the only thing that matters??? Thats absolutely ridiculous. Margin of victory/defeat should not matter.

Who did you play
Who did you beat
Strength of schedule
Conference record
Road/neutral record

Nah we dont care about that, how many teams did you blow out? Thats most important.

We’re at the point on sat that its not enough to go on the road and beat a conference opponent, we have to win by 15 points or it dont matter. Thats INSANE!!!

Its like if the nfl decided playoff teams by margin of victory. Team A is 10-7 and outscored their opponents by 10 points. Team B is 9-8 and outscored their opponents by 50, so team B gets the wild card.

WHOA! Why is the first thread about how NET is conspiring against Syracuse!! this is a travesty! I'm calling congress! And starting a new thread!

I feel who you beat should count. But I don’t think you should get credit for playing a tough team if you lose.

Do those things just not matter anymore? I didnt double check, but brent axe on his postgame podcast said we are 28 in rpi and 6 sos. 5-10 years ago we’d be considered a LOCK!!!!

Is NET the only thing that matters??? Thats absolutely ridiculous. Margin of victory/defeat should not matter.

Who did you play
Who did you beat
Strength of schedule
Conference record
Road/neutral record

Nah we dont care about that, how many teams did you blow out? Thats most important.

We’re at the point on sat that its not enough to go on the road and beat a conference opponent, we have to win by 15 points or it dont matter. Thats INSANE!!!

Its like if the nfl decided playoff teams by margin of victory. Team A is 10-7 and outscored their opponents by 10 points. Team B is 9-8 and outscored their opponents by 50, so team B gets the wild card.

No NET is not the only thing that matters. Just like individual RPI was not all that matters. Actually individual NET matters very little although we will test that as perhaps the biggest anomaly in terms of record and NET, if we win the next 2 games,

Its about Q1 wins, Q2 wins, Q1+Q2 overall performance (win %), and avoiding bad Q3+Q4 losses.

It is still very much about wins and losses.

That is why some P6 teams with NETS in the high 30's/low 40's miss, and some as high as 70 get in.

It's also why we got in with an RPI in the low 70's some years back (2018?, I think)

Doesn't net drive quad though? So yea you have a good net and you have quad wins.

But if Net doesn't like you it also probably doesn't like your schedule so your Quad rankings will be lower.

The group can look at Net and conf and quality wins and quad wins and SOS and RPI and road wins. They have access to it all. They also have the discussion period to use the eye test.

Win out and then we have a chance.. Don't and we probably won't.

Win the last 2 and beat one of the top 4-5 teams in the ACC and the argument can be made.

They should just get rid of the NET and RPI. There really isn't a reason for it, and the committee doesn't go by it anyway.

In the NET world a win at Washington (who is only 10-5 at home) is seen as a better win than UVA at home. Wake is very good at home but awful on the road. Beating them at home is also a better win in the NET world than beating UVA at home.

Who did you play
Who did you beat
Strength of schedule
Conference record
Road/neutral record

I believe we are actually 33 in RPI (and 16 in non-conf RPI!).

But we're only 5-9 in RPI Q1/Q2 games, while we are 6-8 in NET Q1/Q2 games. But we are 12-2 in NET Q3/Q4 games, and 13-1 in RPI Q3/Q4 games.

Pick your poison.
1709156015731.gif

No NET is not the only thing that matters. Just like individual RPI was not all that matters. Actually individual NET matters very little although we will test that as perhaps the biggest anomaly in terms of record and NET, if we win the next 2 games,

Its about Q1 wins, Q2 wins, Q1+Q2 overall performance (win %), and avoiding bad Q3+Q4 losses.

That is why some P6 teams with NETS in the high 30's/low 40's miss, and some as high as 70 get in.

It's also why we got in with an RPI in the low 70's some years back (2018?, I think)
You keep saying this but you have to know Q1 / Q2 wins are also just another version of using NET. They are going to give the same weird result with a different coat of paint

EDIT: My frustration is definitely not at you, jncuse... You've done a great job discussing the NET and our resume the last few days... Thanks.

It's hard to say that the NET isn't the only thing that matters when the other things that matter are also NET dependant. They determine who is Q1,Q2, etc by looking at the NET of who we played. In fact, every criteria you listed goes back to the NET. So I'm thinking that literally no other stat matters. Syracuse gamed the NET perfectly this season to be one of the losers on the outside looking in. It stinks that we have our first "good" season in a while and a silly ranking system is possibly going to prevent our return to the NCAA Tournament.

In fact, other ACC teams we lost to will also get screwed because beating us in the Dome this year should count as a Q1. Instead they get a lesser quality victory because we didn't blow out Colgate by enough in December, nor Notre Dame by enough last week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom