Brian Ward Fired | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Brian Ward Fired

Giving it to Stanard wouldn't be a bad thing. He has a lot of experience as a DC. You don't always have to bring in outside talent to fill a spot.
No doubt, but I wouldnt mind some more dynamic recruiting being introduced into tge vacancy. All things considered though, we’ve recruited defense fairly impressively during dino’s tenure

No doubt, but I wouldnt mind some more dynamic recruiting being introduced into tge vacancy. All things considered though, we’ve recruited defense fairly impressively during dino’s tenure
I'm not sure, but I think Stanard has done well in the recruiting area.

My gut feeling is that they are being vanilla and slow on purpose because they know they don’t have the offensive pieces to do what they want to do.

While I agree with that...I have to ask, who recruited and is coaching them? I'm hoping the sophmore/freshmen are bigger, faster and more talented than what is currently on the field because if not...this problem isn't going to be fixed. I like taht the OL is young and seems to be improving.

Giving it to Stanard wouldn't be a bad thing. He has a lot of experience as a DC. You don't always have to bring in outside talent to fill a spot.

If that happens, then you know Dino and Stanard already have had the 'what would you do differently' conversation and he liked what he heard.

Hard to change a scheme midseason, but I'll be curious if there are any changes that would be quickly noticed. Like personnel changes, blitz frequency, changes in how often the coverage is man vs zone (wait which board am I on?), or anything else.

I wonder why that is so - why is the offense not playing fast?

They are. 3 and out and off the field at a very fast pace.

Honestly, my best guess is that they were trying to slow the game down and have the clock run to have what they thought was a good defense that could win games while TD learns the ropes and gets better as the season progressed. The D getting constantly boatraced and the OL struggling have led to what we have seen on the field and the O isn't near the level to make up for it.

The O reminds me of a 220 hitter who at midseason trys to be at 300 by the end of the week...it just doesn't happen like that and they are pressing and just getting frustrated and making things worse.

Was he a very successful DC? If not, I look at this as an opportunity to make an upgrade and bring in a proven, quality DC, such as a Chris Ash, Jim Leavitt or an up-and-comer like a Fran Brown who has a little DC experience and is a stud recruiter.
Love Stanard as a DL coach, not as DC.

If that happens, then you know Dino and Stanard already have had the 'what would you do differently' conversation and he liked what he heard.

Hard to change a scheme midseason, but I'll be curious if there are any changes that would be quickly noticed. Like personnel changes, blitz frequency, changes in how often the coverage is man vs zone (wait which board am I on?), or anything else.
I think the decision to fire Ward was made before the BC game, good time before the bye week, so I would not be surprised if Stanard and Dino had already talked. In fact I'm almost wondering if Ward was told before the game and the players knew.

Was he a very successful DC? If not, I look at this as an opportunity to make an upgrade and bring in a proven, quality DC, such as a Chris Ash, Jim Leavitt or an up-and-comer like a Fran Brown who has a little DC experience and is a stud recruiter.
Love Stanard as a DL coach, not as DC.

I don't know enough about Clements to comment saw he had a history with Dino. The problem with picking a new OC is they will have to know the Baylor system as that is what Dino is going to run. So the pool that we can pick from if we have to replace the OC is very limited.

If he’s still committed to running that system in a kind of “pure” way. I could see him grabbing a different OL guy with spread concepts exp

I think the decision to fire Ward was made before the BC game, good time before the bye week, so I would not be surprised if Stanard and Dino had already talked. In fact I'm almost wondering if Ward was told before the game and the players knew.

it seems that the recruits knew before the game or shortly after...you’re probably right in that he and the players knew before the game that he was a deadman walking

That would be a handy excuse. But the fact remains that they laid down and quit.

New QB at the starting spot?
It's playing a lot slower then the 1st year Dino was here. Eric absorbed the offense in the first year. We should be playing faster then that and we aren't getting the plays called.

Reactions: FAL
Last 3 seasons as a DC, his defense at Wyoming ranked 103, 102, 101 in the country. Granted, that's improvement, but we need better. Their Defense became much better after he was gone-9,29,15 the following 3 seasons, including this year, under the same HC, Craig Bohl. Again, love him as a DL coach, not as a DC.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting. Those 3 years at Tulane and the 3 years at Wyoming as DC were not very good.

I hope we're aiming higher.

I agree this is a good chance to show we are serious about football. Pay for a DC that can make a difference. Chris Ash is one of the names I am bringing up. DC at the highest level in Ohio State has some HC experience at Rutgers so he has knowledge of the recruiting area which could be a bonus. He makes sense.

Thanks for posting. Those 3 years at Tulane and the 3 years at Wyoming as DC were not very good.

I hope we're aiming higher.
Is it common for DC's to try to bring in their own assistants?

I try and pay attention to recruiting as much as possible but I never got the sense Ward was a particularly dynamic recruiter.
Shouldn’t be hard for us to upgrade there.

That would be a handy excuse. But the fact remains that they laid down and quit.

yep and they did the same against Maryland, and that was Week 2 when Ward wasn't a deadman walking(and Gameday, now laughably, was in play). Of all the things that are going to be difficult to fix this offseason, player attitude is maybe the toughest, will be interesting to see if kids like Taj stick around after this season (or get nudged out the door).

they played like they knew

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom