Brian Ward Fired | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Brian Ward Fired

Why does he get a free pass here? The safeties played one of the worst game as a unit I can recall in recent memory - is none of that on him? Sure, he's our top recruiter but damn
Yeah, he's a dynamite recruiter, but when a guy breaks into the secondary the tackling attempts look really shaky at times. I think it's fair to acknowledge that.

That would be a handy excuse. But the fact remains that they laid down and quit.
Curious, did they quit entering the second quarter with a lead? Or sometime after the next couple of quick BC scores? When did you note the change between the trying and the laying down?

Why does he get a free pass here? The safeties played one of the worst game as a unit I can recall in recent memory - is none of that on him? Sure, he's our top recruiter but damn

Agree 100%, nobody gets a pass on the defensive side of the ball with performance like that. That was one of the worst defensive quarters in football I have ever seen, at least the last time I saw something THAT bad Lamar Jackson was the QB

Reactions: FAL

Well the last part is why he gets a free pass. He is our top recruiter and it is not very close.

Fix the OL, and most of our offensive problems go away.

That's a Cavanaugh issue, not a Lynch one.
I can’t argue with that that’s true as well. You know what you’re right I think Cavanaugh’s job is more in jeopardy than lynches is. In my opinion I think they both need to go

Curious, did they quit entering the second quarter with a lead? Or sometime after the next couple of quick BC scores? When did you note the change between the trying and the laying down?

Right after the 50 yard TD pass that gave BC back the lead. That was with 7:27 left in the second quarter.

We got the ball back and had a 3-and-out, with Tommy hitting a screen pass for a loss, throwing an incompletion and then completing another sideways pass for no gain on 3rd and 13.

After the punt, on BC's second play, Dillon took it 51 yards to the house, and barely had a finger laid on him.

After another 3-and-out following a 3rd down screen pass, after the punt, on BC's first play, the other running back, Baily, took it 74 yards to the house on their first play. The first freaking play, after giving up a long TD run on the 2nd play of the drive before.

In only 3 1/2 minutes of game time on the clock, they scored 3 times - without us turning over the ball! We had 2 possessions in there. In 3 1/2 minutes the game went from 24-20 to 37-20 and game over.

So, whether you want to say it was on Dillon's 51 yard TD run on the second play of that drive, or when they took it to the house AGAIN on the first play of the next drive, right around that time is when the defense stopped giving a crap.

Is that specific enough for you?

It wasn't in college, but I have played football for championship teams and terrible teams. I can feel when players quit. They gave up because the offense wasn't going to be able to keep scoring. The play calling didn't help. DeVito didn't help. But the defense knew the game was over in the second quarter.

Like somebody said in the last couple days, BC scored 44 points and had something like 500 yards in the first half on Saturday. Addazzio called off the dogs a bit, because they could have scored a hundred on us on Saturday. I have seen some epic blow outs over the years, and this one - against a team that isn't really very good - was a bad one.

Last edited:
Was he a very successful DC? If not, I look at this as an opportunity to make an upgrade and bring in a proven, quality DC, such as a Chris Ash, Jim Leavitt or an up-and-comer like a Fran Brown who has a little DC experience and is a stud recruiter.
Love Stanard as a DL coach, not as DC.

I'm happy that our interim doesn't have to learn on the job.

I don't disagree with you at all but I think its easier said than done making a hire like that. Those are the names programs like Alabama would throw around for their DC if the current one got a head coaching job and they had to make a hire.

I don't think the offense will be terrible last 3 games the OL was improved. Now I can't stand our D3 level WRs other than Trish when you watch a lot of football and see the service academys in their triple option sending out better WRs when they are down and have to pass it stings as they are my #1 complaint about this season but we won 10 games with them playing the same roles last year.

If somehow we get 3 good defensive performances and bowl I really hope we don't have to read any whining about Stanard getting the job full time.

Right after the 50 yard TD pass that gave BC back the lead. That was with 7:27 left in the second quarter.

We got the ball back and had a 3-and-out, with Tommy hitting a screen pass for a loss, throwing an incompletion and then completing another sideways pass for no gain on 3rd and 13.

After the punt, on BC's second play, Dillon took it 51 yards to the house, and barely had a finger laid on him.

After another 3-and-out following a 3rd down screen pass, after the punt, on BC's first play, the other running back, Baily, took it 74 yards to the house on their first play. The first freaking play, after giving up a long TD run on the 2nd play of the drive before.

In only 3 1/2 minutes of game time on the clock, they scored 3 times - without us turning over the ball! We had 2 possessions in there. In 3 1/2 minutes the game went from 24-20 to 37-20 and game over.

So, whether you want to say it was on Dillon's 51 yard TD run on the second play of that drive, or when they took it to the house AGAIN on the first play of the next drive, right around that time is when the defense stopped giving a crap.

It wasn't in college, but I have played football for championship teams and terrible teams. I can feel when players quit. They gave up because the offense wasn't going to be able to keep scoring. The play calling didn't help. DeVito didn't help. But the defense knew the game was over in the second quarter.

In fairness, a lot of fans near me quit after we got blitzed in the second quarter. My thought is that any quitting happened (for fans or for the players) after BC’s quick scores put the game out of reach, and after seeing our offense respond with three 3 and outs. Don’t think the ineptness to that point was caused by lack of trying.

Like somebody said in the last couple days, BC scored 44 points and had something like 500 yards in the first half on Saturday. Addazzio called off the dogs a bit, because they could have scored a hundred on us on Saturday. I have seen some epic blow outs over the years, and this one - against a team that isn't really very good - was a bad one.
tenor (2).gif

Don’t know about football, and I don’t want to research it, but in my business the interim person rarely got the job.

He should get a pass if he coached Foster properly and Foster went rogue. Then Foster should be benched. These are mistakes he’s made for years.

Our OL can’t keep pace and our wide receivers noticeably don’t hustle to the line of scrimmage.
Well then they should have a seat. Bring Jordan and whoever else.

I'm not sure, but I think Stanard has done well in the recruiting area.
Yeah he isn’t Monroe but who is. He gets good kids though. He is the reason we got Robinson.

He should get a pass if he coached Foster properly and Foster went rogue. Then Foster should be benched. These are mistakes he’s made for years.
Agreed

this game reminds me of the 43-0 West Virginia game in 93. 446 yards rushing

this game reminds me of the 43-0 West Virginia game in 93. 446 yards rushing

Ugh, I remember that game. Such a low point. It’s impressive that guys could run that fast with shoulder pads that big.

That was the game they stopped selling beer to people with West Virginia apparel.

I try and pay attention to recruiting as much as possible but I never got the sense Ward was a particularly dynamic recruiter.
Shouldn’t be hard for us to upgrade there.

While he didn't exactly have a record of bringing in five-star studs, losing a recruiter is never easy. He's built up relationships with these kids over years in some cases. It doesn't look like anyone is flipping, at least as far as I can tell, but several kids weren't exactly happy to hear their primary recruiter and someone they have a strong connection with isn't going to be there next season.

While he didn't exactly have a record of bringing in five-star studs, losing a recruiter is never easy. He's built up relationships with these kids over years in some cases. It doesn't look like anyone is flipping, at least as far as I can tell, but several kids weren't exactly happy to hear their primary recruiter and someone they have a strong connection with isn't going to be there next season.
We've had the worst recruiting classes in the ACC during Ward's tenure. What are we clinging to?

We've had the worst recruiting classes in the ACC during Ward's tenure. What are we clinging to?

That’s not true. Check the rankings. We’ve consistently been #10 or #11 in the ACC. Nothing to brag about and def not a reason to keep a guy. But I keep seeing this “last in the ACC” stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom