Brian Ward Fired | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Brian Ward Fired

Or Ward was just an idiot.

except everyone clings to the 10 win season when anything bad is said about DB. Well Ward played a part in those 10 wins too. So maybe it isn’t Ward that was the main issue but the position coaches that couldn’t teach the principles.

Okay. Fill us in. You're saying that was their top effort?
Did you actually watch the game? The D didn't just quit some of the guys laid down.
Dino has no choice but to fire Ward.

Did you actually watch the game? The D didn't just quit some of the guys laid down.
Dino has no choice but to fire Ward.

Well, that's kind of splitting hairs, isn't it?
Of course I watched the game. I wouldn't make that comment if I didn't see it myself.

If you're one of the players, and some of the other players just whiff on a series of tackles, it can take the heart out of you. I get it. I've been there, both as a teammate and as a fan.

except everyone clings to the 10 win season when anything bad is said about DB. Well Ward played a part in those 10 wins too. So maybe it isn’t Ward that was the main issue but the position coaches that couldn’t teach the principles.
Yeah but our defense last was was decent despite ward. If we had anyone with a brain we would have stopped Clemson and Pitt knowing they were gonna run over and over. He wouldn’t change his mentality until after Pitt loss as bam said. He shoulda been gone the 2nd year.

Yeah but our defense last was was decent despite ward. If we had anyone with a brain we would have stopped Clemson and Pitt knowing they were gonna run over and over. He wouldn’t change his mentality until after Pitt loss as bam said. He shoulda been gone the 2nd year.

I'm not saying he was a great coach but some of the mistakes made over and over again by the players are just as much on the position coaches that are hired by DB.

Your argument loses a lot of value saying anyone with a brain would have stopped Clemson. Um, ok. :confused: Pretty sure Clemson won the National Championship, they played lots of dummies then.

I'm not saying he was a great coach but some of the mistakes made over and over again by the players are just as much on the position coaches that are hired by DB.

Your argument loses a lot of value saying anyone with a brain would have stopped Clemson. Um, ok. :confused: Pretty sure Clemson won the National Championship, they played lots of dummies then.
The only thing I’ll counter with, just like a business, it’s the coordinators job to make sure the position coaches know what and how to teach.

CEO doesn’t typically coach the sales force, that’s the Sales Managers job.

Shafer was a very good DC under Doug. He will never coach at SU under Dino. I hope that we get rid of three position coaches. OL, WR, RB and bring in three dynamic recruiters.
Reynolds Lust Stan and Monroe are keepers. Since Dino will never fire Martin move him to WR coach and hire a real QB coach.

Just like the head coach takes the heat for the entire team performance , so does the defensive coordinator for how his defense performs. What people have complained about with Ward since he arrived in Syracuse was his utter lack of adjustments to what the other team is doing. Addazio's comments about running the same play thirty times and Syracuse never adjusting to it are probably a big part of the reason why Ward is no longer the DC at Syracuse. If his position coaches aren't doing their jobs, that's on him too. Monroe and Ward have let Foster take the same bad tackling angle for three years that have resulted in some of the longest chunk plays against Syracuse in their history. Yet he still plays and still does it. That is coaching. If he can't do it right, sit him. Believe me, he is not irreplaceable. Hopefully Coach Stanard will learn from the previous mistakes of the guy he replaced.

During Ward’s tenure we brought in Trill, Cisco, Robinson, Jones, Lee K, Nunn, Stritz, Richards, Linton, Iffy and Kinsler. All arguably impact recruits that were improvements from the past. Ward couldn’t prove it on the field and got let go, it had to happen. Hope we seize this as an opportunity to improve our defense and continue building on recruiting momentum.
I give The SwaggDaddy way more credit for those kids than Brian Ward.
And so far we’ve lost zero recruits after ward’s departure.

This is an opportunity for Coach Stanard; I hope for this team that he will make the most of it and put up a D effort that will reflect what we are looking for in our D. I will be pulling for him and our team to finish out the season strong. Having said that; our offense must improve, as well, and not be so predictable.

go orange.gif

I give The SwaggDaddy way more credit for those kids than Brian Ward.
And so far we’ve lost zero recruits after ward’s departure.

hell, we probably cemented Kinsler when he found out Ward was getting fired, he can come in and play (hopefully) a real/aggressive defensive

The only thing I’ll counter with, just like a business, it’s the coordinators job to make sure the position coaches know what and how to teach.

CEO doesn’t typically coach the sales force, that’s the Sales Managers job.

I don't disagree with this at all. I think what we might not know at this point is if Ward did a poor job of holding his position coaches accountable, communicating what he wanted, if he felt he had the power to hold them accountable - in general all those management aspects we don't know.

Part of my response, was in response to the poster saying Ward was an idiot, which I think is unfair since nobody knows the inner workings of the HC, Coordinators, and position coaches.

I posted these stats in another thread yesterday. Hopefully Stanard isn't the guy beyond this season unless he's learned/changed from his previous HC experiences. Based on the numbers he's pretty much equivalent to what we had with Ward.

Wyoming DC: 2014 - 2016 --> Total defense vs P5 schools
2014 - #95
2015 - #78
2016 - #103

Tulane DC: 2009 - 2011--> Total defense vs P5 schools
2009 - #98
2010 - #80
2011 - #76

Wyoming - Scoring defense
2016 - 102
2015 - 100
2014 - 106

Wyoming - Opponent 3rd down conversions
2016 - 91
2015 - 103
2014 - 97

Wyoming - Opponent red zone conversion
2016 - 67
2015 - 119
2014 - 50

Wyoming - Opponent long scrimmage plays - 10+ yards
2016 - 126
2015 - 39
2014 - 101

dungeydungeydungeydungeydungey!

I don't disagree with this at all. I think what we might not know at this point is if Ward did a poor job of holding his position coaches accountable, communicating what he wanted, if he felt he had the power to hold them accountable - in general all those management aspects we don't know.

Part of my response, was in response to the poster saying Ward was an idiot, which I think is unfair since nobody knows the inner workings of the HC, Coordinators, and position coaches.
I did not say Ward was an idiot. Someone posted that Tyrell Richards has all the size and speed to be a really good ACC linebacker and does not get enough playing time. That poster then suggested that the fault for lack of playing time was on Richards not playing due to his lack of technique or knowldege of the system. I then gave a possible other explanation, Richards is fine, Ward is an idiot for not playing him when almost the entire fan base thought the young man earned his opportunities for more playing time.

I did not say Ward was an idiot. Someone posted that Tyrell Richards has all the size and speed to be a really good ACC linebacker and does not get enough playing time. That poster then suggested that the fault for lack of playing time was on Richards not playing due to his lack of technique or knowldege of the system. I then gave a possible other explanation, Richards is fine, Ward is an idiot for not playing him when almost the entire fan base thought the young man earned his opportunities for more playing time.

Gotcha, maybe I didn't read it well enough. My bad.

We've had the worst recruiting classes in the ACC during Ward's tenure. What are we clinging to?
Exactly, Time to open up the checkbook. There’s plenty of good recruiters out there we just got to pay them to get here. It’s all about money baby. Most of the time you get what you pay for if you go cheap the results are going to show on the field. It looks like Syracuse is starting to get that picture but I just wish that step it up even more

It’s telling that our current class jewel would be one of the lowest rated recruits for Clemson and Florida State. While those two schools historically well above Syracuse stature, we also are in their division and play them every year. Honestly we are recruiting at a level similar to bottom P5 schools.
Well you are right about our recruiting but I just can’t wait for all these things to get done with the dome and see what it’s gonna look like because I really think that could have a positive Affect on recruiting. Just how much of a positive affect is the question and I’m hoping for the wow factor! believe me

I see what ur saying but we were clamoring for shy to get a shot for how long. He runs his guys even when it’s not working. So Clemson was a bad choice but u get my thought process. Now after Clemson going into Pitt we new their qb was crappy so what do u think they are gonna do. Did we do anything. No that reason right there is a reason to be fired. Cmon any dc would try something different. We have a decent talent pool on defense and I hear some people saying that it’s hard cause of this years three and outs but it doesn’t count when it’s in the second quarter ya know.

Interesting to note for the Briles/Clements to SU crowd.

Not saying it’s a bad idea but might be more marathon than sprint. People should prepare for that. Their brief time at FSU shows that they’re not miracle workers.

There wasn't much to work with. Had Briles been installed last year like Taggart wanted, FSU would have likely looked better in Year 2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom