Bringing back the Swag | Syracusefan.com

Bringing back the Swag

GooseMutt

All Conference
Growing up in NJ as a teen I found myself drawn to Syracuse basketball because of their style. They weren't the most disciplined in their offensive style but were on the defensive end playing zone. The zone when executed well led to many fast breaks and transition points. Lots of dunking and many ally oops. I was hooked. This attracted many athletic players who liked the style and it became a dream school for some. Without this swag, we kinda lose our identity a bit. I think next years team has the players that want to wear Orange and can bring that swag back with attitude and athleticism i e Moyer Brissett Dolejac and Battle to name a few. Let's get back to playing Cuse ball and reclaim our identity. Gotta master that zone

I believe we lacked leadership more than anything last year (maybe not interior D ;)). I agree some attitude could help.

Like the optimism, but the zone and the coach who insists on playing it (especially w/ good cop Hop now gone) are a big reason for the absence of "swag."

Like the optimism, but the zone and the coach who insists on playing it (especially w/ good cop Hop now gone) are a big reason for the absence of "swag."

I disagree with this 100%. Swagger comes mostly from the guys on the court. We haven't had swagger because we have been in my opinion soft and weak inside since we were forced to play Lydon in there. I saw no physicality, no technicals, no hard fouls. I think Malachi had a ton of swagger, so did Silent G, MCW, Waiters. Last year we lacked toughness and leadership IMO and alot of that stemmed from our best players White and Lydon being very quet and stoic. This yea ri think we can see more because of Thompson and Battle taking over the leading scoring roles. Thompson was very energetic last year any time he did anything good (see dunks and screaming at tv cameras) and Battle starting to realize he could dominate (see duke game smiling and shaking his head he couldnt be stopped).

I disagree with this 100%. Swagger comes mostly from the guys on the court. We haven't had swagger because we have been in my opinion soft and weak inside since we were forced to play Lydon in there. I saw no physicality, no technicals, no hard fouls. I think Malachi had a ton of swagger, so did Silent G, MCW, Waiters. Last year we lacked toughness and leadership IMO and alot of that stemmed from our best players White and Lydon being very quet and stoic. This yea ri think we can see more because of Thompson and Battle taking over the leading scoring roles. Thompson was very energetic last year any time he did anything good (see dunks and screaming at tv cameras) and Battle starting to realize he could dominate (see duke game smiling and shaking his head he couldnt be stopped).
I agree it comes from the guys on the court. Malachi, Silent G, MCW, and Dion were all elite recruits, and we need more players of their caliber to get back to where we all want to be. I think it'll be tough w/ Hop gone and JB's insistence on playing a defense that most elite recruits understandably don't want to play. Hope I'm wrong. The 2018 class will be very telling.

The one and done (or two and done) have killed college hoops.

Ridiculous Cuse has players who play for one season...I don't give a crap about Donte Green, Chris MacCullough sp??, Tyler Ennis, Michael Carter Williams, Malichi Richardson, and Tyler Lydon, for that matter. Most of them made decisions for the money...but if you don't stay in the league past your 2 year contract...you are now likely almost broke and without a degree (unless you catch on to a premier Euro League). Lydon will be a 2nd round pick...he made a stupid decision.

If Melo didn't carry the team on his back in '03 and not give millions to SU...he would be in the above grouping.

Bottomline about half of the early departure guys have been total busts since Melo.

Really only Melo and Dion have amounted to much in the NBA. MCW and Tyler have had their moments...the rest? Thankfully MCW has a financial plan and will do well after leaving the NBA...the others are TBD in my mind.

Yes this is a harsh post but the early departures has killed my interest in following SU basketball.

Last edited:
Yeah. That AO, Scoop, Wes team had no swag, due to the zone.:bat:
That team was awesome, but you missed my point. All I'm saying is many recruits don't want to play for JB at this stage of his career and the zone also hurts our ability to recruit elite players. Both points have been discussed ad nauseum so no need to discuss further. Teams that win have swagger. Teams that have better players tend to win.

Also, "swag" is one of the dumbest words ever.

Last edited:
Where I come from, "SWAG" means "stupid, wild-assed guess."

Funny, here it is a "Scientific Wild Ass Guess"!

Reactions: cto
Yeah. That AO, Scoop, Wes team had no swag, due to the zone.:bat:

Actually, they were pretty swag-free. I would call them businesslike. They were that way on purpose, after Devo-Flynn-Harris-Greene. JB nearly killed those guys for throwing it off the backboard to each other for fast break dunks. I mean, the fans loved it. But to JB, it was too hotdog. Funny how it never seemed to bother him back in the days that Pearl and Sherm were running the break and throwing the funky jams down all over the place.

Actually, they were pretty swag-free. I would call them businesslike. They were that way on purpose, after Devo-Flynn-Harris-Greene. JB nearly killed those guys for throwing it off the backboard to each other for fast break dunks. I mean, the fans loved it. But to JB, it was too hotdog. Funny how it never seemed to bother him back in the days that Pearl and Sherm were running the break and throwing the funky jams down all over the place.
Wrong. They were good and they knew it. Swag ain't showboat. They knew they were #1 and they played with SWAGGER.

We're playing .500 ball the last 3 years. Start winning and the swag returns. 09-10 just got the job done is business-like fashion. Now the 11-12 team on the other hand, that was more of the classic SU swagger with Dion and Fab.

I haven't heard anyone use the word "swag" since like 2009 and I would like it to stay that way. Boy, was that a word that people went overboard with(and always sounded dorky saying it too IMO).
Hung up on rhetoric? I'll try to use hipper words for you in the future cause I really care

Where I come from, "SWAG" means "stupid, wild-assed guess."
In terms of BBall... Superior Warlike Aggressive Gamers...just sayin ';)
Or alternatively... Syracuse Whoops Ass Grudingly...

The one and done (or two and done) have killed college hoops.

Ridiculous Cuse has players who play for one season...I don't give a crap about Donte Green, Chris MacCullough sp??, Tyler Ennis, Michael Carter Williams, Malichi Richardson, and Tyler Lydon, for that matter. Most of them made decisions for the money...but if you don't stay in the league past your 2 year contract...you are now likely almost broke and without a degree (unless you catch on to a premier Euro League). Lydon will be a 2nd round pick...he made a stupid decision.

If Melo didn't carry the team on his back in '03 and not give millions to SU...he would be in the above grouping.

Bottomline about half of the early departure guys have been total busts since Melo.

Really only Melo and Dion have amounted to much in the NBA. MCW and Tyler have had their moments...the rest? Thankfully MCW has a financial plan and will do well after leaving the NBA...the others are TBD in my mind.

Yes this is a harsh post but the early departures has killed my interest in following SU basketball.

Give me a couple of million and a reasonable brain and I will be okay. You can't begrudge people for leaving for their dream... we would all do the same. I may not like their leaving but they'd be foolish not to. If this kills your interest in Cuse hoops you might choose to root for a division 2 team because virtually all P5 teams have to face it.

Besides, if you don't have the talent to stick in the NBA it'd be better to leave early if you can while your stock is its highest. It didn't help Warrick to stay as he did not get drafted higher, it would not have helped McCullough or others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom