Brissett & Battle | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Brissett & Battle

I think Battle is the most frustrating. At times he looks like one of the best players in the country. Other times he looks like he'll never score again.

If Battle comes back there will be major playing times issues at guard next year. Carey was suppose to take Battles spot this year.

Brissett... heavy sigh... is just not getting the job done. When does 'potential' become a worthless attribute? Period.

When he’s exhausted his eligibility. He’s only a sophomore. He’s a guy that’s been force fed minutes, but probably would not have started before his junior year on many of our better teams.

Both were abysmal tonight. Battle was locked up by an NBA player. Brissett brought nothing to the game but contested 18 foot jumpers. I wish that I was that confident.

When he’s exhausted his eligibility. He’s only a sophomore. He’s a guy that’s been force fed minutes, but probably would not have started before his junior year on many of our better teams.

That's fair, but he looks woefully overmatched often times. He can't hit a jumpshot from anywhere.

If Battle comes back there will be major playing times issues at guard next year. Carey was suppose to take Battles spot this year.
There probably will be but it can work itself out.

Brissett plays small. He's 6'8" and plays like he's 6'6" in the paint. He's not particularly athletic and his jumper is broken.

He will be in orange all 4 years.

I always seem to laugh. It seems like last year people were saying for Battle and Brissett (more so Tyus) " come back and build your stock and be one of the best players and get in the first round!" Well, here we are and Tyus stock hasn't increased (I won't say it's decreased but he's still a mid-late 2nd IMO). If he comes back, he'd probably play his way right out of the draft. He came back to improve his stock, it didn't work, and he's probably learned from that.

Brissett plays small. He's 6'8" and plays like he's 6'6" in the paint. He's not particularly athletic and his jumper is broken.

He will be in orange all 4 years.

More like 6'4". He appears to shrink as he gets closer to the hoop.

That said, we need him to keep attacking rather than settling for the 3 that rarely falls.

By that, do you mean the 2 -- where he struggles to shoot -- or the 1, where he struggles to dribble?

I think coming back has helped Battle. He was forced to play with the ball in his hands more and that will help him at the next level. He is 2 guard that isn't a great shooter. He has worked hard but won't ever be that great of a shooter.

Tyus I believe is graduating. His game is what it is - he should go, there won't be an epiphany here next season.

I would probably agree with all of this, though I don't think that necessarily means he should go. I won't blame him at all if he does opt for the draft, but considering how low his draft stock is, even if he isn't likely to improve it by returning, we might just be at the point now where one more year of college is more fun for him than toiling away in the GLeague (even if he's being paid for the latter). I don't think he can really go wrong either way at this point.

Neither.

I hope they aren't dumb enough to leave and go undrafted. Come back improved when you are already going to be one of the best players in the country, have a good year, get drafted, and be ready for the NBA. Right now they will struggle to get minutes in the G league. There is a reason college is for 4 years.

If Battle was a first rounder he leaves last season. He's going to be a fringe 2nd rounder no matter what year he goes. If he decides to leave and start trying to get paid that's cool. I can also see a scenario that he likes Syracuse and figures might as well play the 4th year since his scouting report is essentially closed.

Honestly? I'd be A-OK with the answer being both.

I appreciate everything Battle has done for this program, but it's time to start building something new with an offensive approach not predicated on him shooting 20 times per game, rain or shine. He's been great, but we need something different.

Brissett... heavy sigh... is just not getting the job done. When does 'potential' become a worthless attribute? He's been bad. Period.

I hear you, but I worry about what this offense looks like without a guy that can create his own shot. He's masked a lot of deficiencies this year, especially against lower level teams in the conference. Next year could be an offensive cluster. Too many shooters, not enough creators.

I hear you, but I worry about what this offense looks like without a guy that can create his own shot. He's masked a lot of deficiencies this year, especially against lower level teams in the conference. Next year could be an offensive cluster. Too many shooters, not enough creators.

Gurrrier and Goodine look like good ball handlers from the videos I've seen and the scouting reports. Carey needs to work on ball security but he's shown flashes of good one on one moves and will be the fastest guy on the court most nights. There will be growing pains, but these guys need to play to get through them. Watching Battle try to do it all doesn't help them much.

I'm not saying we'll be better next season without him, but I'm eager to start the next chapter. We might see significantly better ball movement, at least.

I hear you, but I worry about what this offense looks like without a guy that can create his own shot, sometimes.
It's tough to rely on Tyus being creative as an offensive philosophy because he's not quite good enough to carry a team consistently. He'll have his moments with mismatches, like last night he overwhelmed the short guard Bennett put on him. But when Hunter took over, Battle was just throwing up prayer shots.

It's tough to rely on Tyus being creative as an offensive philosophy because he's not quite good enough to carry a team consistently. He'll have his moments with mismatches, like last night he overwhelmed the short guard Bennett put on him. But when Hunter took over, Battle was just throwing up prayer shots.

Agreed. Hunter absolutely locked him up, but that's a first round pick. On some nights he's the only mismatch we have.

I like the Battle came back for his Jr Year but my god did Hunter way out class him. He needs to take a look at staying another year cause that was hard to watch
Ive been wondering if theres a chance Battle could stay for his senior year and make a full transition to PG. if he’s gonna make it in the NBA that might be his best bet—along with improved shooting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom