Bronny James | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Bronny James

To be fair to Bronny most late 2nd round picks are allowed to suck with no spotlight and media attention.

They could have let him play another year at USC and then snuck him onto the team with a 2 way deal and noone would have said much.
Who’s they, his father?

To be fair to Bronny most late 2nd round picks are allowed to suck with no spotlight and media attention.

They could have let him play another year at USC and then snuck him onto the team with a 2 way deal and noone would have said much.

Here's the thing tho, it's not just 2nd round pick.

He wasn't All LA and made McDonalds.

He barely did ANYTHING in college and had a major health issue and still got invited to the combine.

Got drafted to a team that is desperate for role players and he will not help them at all.

Bron runs the Lakers. Period. End of story.

His podcast buddy is the coach. His son is on the team with a guaranteed contract. They are, at best, going to be like a 7 seed. The West is stacked and the Lakers aren't winning anything.

Here's the thing tho, it's not just 2nd round pick.

He wasn't All LA and made McDonalds.

He barely did ANYTHING in college and had a major health issue and still got invited to the combine.

Got drafted to a team that is desperate for role players and he will not help them at all.

Bron runs the Lakers. Period. End of story.

His podcast buddy is the coach. His son is on the team with a guaranteed contract. They are, at best, going to be like a 7 seed. The West is stacked and the Lakers aren't winning anything.
100% agree. 'Just a 2nd round pick' usually doesn't come with a 4yr guaranteed contract and the agent telling the team that they won't accept a 2-way contract.

Lakers front office is the laughing stock of the NBA.

100% agree. 'Just a 2nd round pick' usually doesn't come with a 4yr guaranteed contract and the agent telling the team that they won't accept a 2-way contract.

Lakers front office is the laughing stock of the NBA.

And here's my thing: I don't really care about the nepotism, in a vacuum. Honestly, I don't.

But the fact that he's now featured all over the place and they are treating this like it's been a meritocracy is ridiculous.

It's cool -- Bron runs the show, you drafted his kid. Let's all just move on. Dame had his cousin on the Blazers' roster. Thanasis has been on the Bucks (but to be fair, Thanasis has a way better resume than Bronny ever had in terms of actual production leading up to the NBA).

I can go on. I just don't want to keep hearing how good he can be on D or whatever. Dude shouldn't be on an NBA roster. I'm sure he's a great kid and all that and I'm glad he recovered from his health issue of course, but now it's just a full on theatrical play.

And here's my thing: I don't really care about the nepotism, in a vacuum. Honestly, I don't.

But the fact that he's now featured all over the place and they are treating this like it's been a meritocracy is ridiculous.

It's cool -- Bron runs the show, you drafted his kid. Let's all just move on. Dame had his cousin on the Blazers' roster. Thanasis has been on the Bucks (but to be fair, Thanasis has a way better resume than Bronny ever had in terms of actual production leading up to the NBA).

I can go on. I just don't want to keep hearing how good he can be on D or whatever. Dude shouldn't be on an NBA roster. I'm sure he's a great kid and all that and I'm glad he recovered from his health issue of course, but now it's just a full on theatrical play.

Did you hear he hit his first 3 pointer, did you hear he hit 12 points in summer league...lol

Not sure he would even start for us.

Who's saying it's on merit?
There's a second side to this coin. He got the benefit of the drafting, but the attention isn't all positive. There are probably more people looking at him to fail than are hoping he succeeds. Everyone is now watching to confirm/validate their preconceptions. That's unfair to him and it's a lot of weight. That said, an $8million contract is a soothing salve.

Who's saying it's on merit?
There's a second side to this coin. He got the benefit of the drafting, but the attention isn't all positive. There are probably more people looking at him to fail than are hoping he succeeds. Everyone is now watching to confirm/validate their preconceptions. That's unfair to him and it's a lot of weight. That said, an $8million contract is a soothing salve.
And guess what? that second side of the coin would’ve been there if he was a legit prospect, if he was the #1 pick right out of high school, etc. this was always the reality.

Agreed - now that he’s been drafted, they shouldn’t cover him unless he does something worthwhile

Per ESPN Bet

IMG_2157.jpeg

Enjoy.

Dr. J’s kids were gifted athletes but did not play basketball. I remember an interview he did back in the 80’s where he said they were playing soccer or something at school (middle school, I think), and the interviewer seemed dumbfounded. Like, ‘geez, how could Dr J’s kids NOT be taking after their father and playing the family sport?’ Erving was very straightforward and said that he wanted his kids to do whatever made them happy, and basketball wasn’t it. They were less into serious athletics even though they had talent.

I think it’s clear that LeBron’s kids are not LeBron, nor will (or should) they be. LeBron is a generational talent, like Jordan and Kobe before him. Hell, even Jordan’s kids were no where close to being their dad on the court. It doesn’t work like that. I think too many expectations are put on kids of famous athletes, and kids in general, to excel in sports. If the kids want it, great, but at some point someone has to be the parent and shield them from the hype machine. I feel bad for Bronny and Bryce. They don’t need the microscope and wouldn’t be getting it if their dad wasn’t LeBron. I don’t think LeBron is doing Bronny any favors. I’m sure Bronny wants to do his dad proud, but he’s not ready. He’d be better off out of the spotlight for a couple years and just focused on honing his skills in the G-League or Europe. He’ll get chewed up and spit out if he has to deal with the NBA pressure right now, especially in LA where things are amped up even more. Let the kid mature in the G-League and make his own way. Bring him up for 10 days during the season so he can play with dad, and then send him back. He’ll be better off.

Dr. J’s kids were gifted athletes but did not play basketball. I remember an interview he did back in the 80’s where he said they were playing soccer or something at school (middle school, I think), and the interviewer seemed dumbfounded. Like, ‘geez, how could Dr J’s kids NOT be taking after their father and playing the family sport?’ Erving was very straightforward and said that he wanted his kids to do whatever made them happy, and basketball wasn’t it. They were less into serious athletics even though they had talent.

I think it’s clear that LeBron’s kids are not LeBron, nor will (or should) they be. LeBron is a generational talent, like Jordan and Kobe before him. Hell, even Jordan’s kids were no where close to being their dad on the court. It doesn’t work like that. I think too many expectations are put on kids of famous athletes, and kids in general, to excel in sports. If the kids want it, great, but at some point someone has to be the parent and shield them from the hype machine. I feel bad for Bronny and Bryce. They don’t need the microscope and wouldn’t be getting it if their dad wasn’t LeBron. I don’t think LeBron is doing Bronny any favors. I’m sure Bronny wants to do his dad proud, but he’s not ready. He’d be better off out of the spotlight for a couple years and just focused on honing his skills in the G-League or Europe. He’ll get chewed up and spit out if he has to deal with the NBA pressure right now, especially in LA where things are amped up even more. Let the kid mature in the G-League and make his own way. Bring him up for 10 days during the season so he can play with dad, and then send him back. He’ll be better off.

I remember one of Jordan's kids was a little better than the others -- maybe a legit top 100 recruit. He ended up playing briefly at Illinois, but the pressure of D1 athletics and living in his father's shadow proved to be too much. It's a burden for the kids of legendary athletes.

It’s weird that it doesn’t work that way in basketball, but it does seem to in baseball and football. An announcer said just a few days ago that basketball players are the best athletes in the world. I’m not sure I want to take on that argument, but maybe there’s something in it. There are some sports where repetition practice is a major component to development and can equate to ‘talent.’ There are other sports where there are more dynamics, and a different type of talent is required to excel.

I remember one of Jordan's kids was a little better than the others -- maybe a legit top 100 recruit. He ended up playing briefly at Illinois, but the pressure of D1 athletics and living in his father's shadow proved to be too much. It's a burden for the kids of legendary athletes.
MJ’s first born, Jeffrey, was a preferred walk-on at Illinois and eventually earned a scholarship. Then he transferred to UCF to play with his younger brother Marcus (MJ’s second kid). UCF was an Adidas school until the Jordans came to town and switched to Nike. Marcus had a promising college career and then got into some off the court trouble and eventually left the program. Marcus is the son with Scottie Pippen’s ex, Larsa.

MJ’s first born, Jeffrey, was a preferred walk-on at Illinois and eventually earned a scholarship. Then he transferred to UCF to play with his younger brother Marcus (MJ’s second kid). UCF was an Adidas school until the Jordans came to town and switched to Nike. Marcus had a promising college career and then got into some off the court trouble and eventually left the program. Marcus is the son with Scottie Pippen’s ex, Larsa.
Marcus loves him some cougars!

Lebron is a freak of nature paired with incredible acumen and instincts for the game. That said- you watch both his kids emulate his style of play but they lack the same physical traits along with having less of the knowledge and instincts on the court. That just doesn’t work for the success to pass down a generation. It’s interesting because you look at Kiyan- and it’s about the ability to score and the skill level as opposed to the athleticism with some skill and he looks set to have a much better chance at long term success than either of Brons boys.

It’s weird that it doesn’t work that way in basketball, but it does seem to in baseball and football. An announcer said just a few days ago that basketball players are the best athletes in the world. I’m not sure I want to take on that argument, but maybe there’s something in it. There are some sports where repetition practice is a major component to development and can equate to ‘talent.’ There are other sports where there are more dynamics, and a different type of talent is required to excel.
Not true. There are lots of players whose sons play or played in the NBA. Both Currys, Klay Thompson, Larry Nance Jr, Gary Payton, Bill Waltons kid, Bol Bol, Ewing's son, and others. And of course, Kobe.

Last edited:
I think the difference between other sports is number of players. There are more opportunities numbers wise in every other pro sport so you are going to see less generational success.

Not true. There are lots of players whose sons play or played in the NBA. Both Currys, Klay Thompson, Larry Nance Jr, Gary Payton, Bill Waltons kid, Bol Bol, Ewing's son, and others. And of course, Kobe.
Those are good examples, but I think there's something to the point he was making. It seems like children of great players in other sports have a better chance at being great than in basketball. It's not that it can't happen, it's just less likely. I think you may be able to put siblings in there too. You don't see the same type of high level success among brothers in basketball like you do with brothers like the Watts and Bosas in football.

Those are good examples, but I think there's something to the point he was making. It seems like children of great players in other sports have a better chance at being great than in basketball. It's not that it can't happen, it's just less likely. I think you may be able to put siblings in there too. You don't see the same type of high level success among brothers in basketball like you do with brothers like the Watts and Bosas in football.

Jerami’s dad & uncle might beg to differ.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom