Brooklyn Nets - Really coming together! | Syracusefan.com

Brooklyn Nets - Really coming together!

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
I enjoyed the Nets' mini-run in the Kenyon Martin, Jason Kidd, Richard Jefferson, Keith Van Horne years.

This new Nets team, now in Brooklyn, of course, has really started coming together in the past few weeks. They all seemed kind of awkward out there at times when the season first started, and then adding The Beard a couple weeks into the season.

I think Irving telling Hardin to be the PG has been exemplary. These guys are unselfish. They have the most explosive offense in the NBA right now, and their Big 3 has still only played 7 games together.

They already had a solid supporting case (which they didn't to trade away to get the star - are you listening, Knicks?). They already had a hardworking culture, and were a team that was getting better.

I think they probably need a rim protector / rebounder to win it all, but right now, they look like the best team in the East to me.

I am really enjoying their basketball, as much as I enjoyed the Warriors, when they were first putting it together.

May be the least likable sports team imo since the early 00’s New York Yankees. Lebrons Heat are there too.

i say this as a Celtics fan. Aside from
this, Im glad you’re enjoying this team OP

Kyrie Irving seems like a new person to me. He really tarnished his reputation, first in Cleveland, then in Boston, and at the beginning in Brooklyn.

But he sees himself as having freedom by being off the ball, and the third option to Harden and Garnett.

There are a lot of cogs on their bench. Very good team. I can understand people not being an Irving fan, especially from his time in Boston.

I can see people looking at Garnett as not really having earned his two rings in Golden State, since they were already champions before he arrived.

Some see Harden as a ball hog, but I see a guy putting up 10, 12, 14 assists practically every night. I love the D'Antoni offense, and I think their defense is getting better.

Harden's style is disliked by many and I get it, but he's absolutely a top offensive player of all time. And a ridiculous playmaker.

Also, Joe Harris is incredibly underrated and in a perfect fit, on the perfect team. AND to continue... Jeff Green is also historically underrated imo. Incredible how he was able to work his way back after the heart issues. Not to completely drool over the Nets (I do think Kyrie has some serious bozo moments), but they have a great team, for sure.

May be the least likable sports team imo since the early 00’s New York Yankees. Lebrons Heat are there too.

i say this as a Celtics fan. Aside from
this, Im glad you’re enjoying this team OP
The Nets have literally never won a thing they are annoying but it's not getting to the hatred stage yet.

Harden's style is disliked by many and I get it, but he's absolutely a top offensive player of all time. And a ridiculous playmaker.

Also, Joe Harris is incredibly underrated and in a perfect fit, on the perfect team. AND to continue... Jeff Green is also historically underrated imo. Incredible how he was able to work his way back after the heart issues. Not to completely drool over the Nets (I do think Kyrie has some serious bozo moments), but they have a great team, for sure.

Yes, Joe Harris is a terrific player and very dependable from three.

Jeff Green coming off the bench as a 4 is like when Andre Iguodala was still part of the young up-and-coming Warriors.

D'Andre Jordan is doing a good job at center, but in a 7 game series, you need to pair him with another quality guy who can defend the rim and rebound. They have some guys playing as bigs who are a bit undersized, and that will get you in a long series.

It's going to torture Jazz fans when they make it to the finals and lose to Harden.

Just find Harden, Durant and Kyrie each supremely lame and unlikable in their own special ways
I can't stand harden and what he did in Houston. And I find Irving to be a nut job but they have been together for 5 minutes and playing for a franchise that hasn't won squat I can't develop hatred just yet.

The Nets have literally never won a thing they are annoying but it's not getting to the hatred stage yet.

The Knicks should be as well run as the Nets are under Sean Marks these past few years.

The Knicks have been a laughingstock every since Jeff Van Gundy was fired, almost 20 years ago.

They had a good man in the front office in Donnie Walsh, and then Dolan forced him to trade away all the young players he had stockpiled and developed, in order to pay Carmelo Anthony a max contract, when they could have had him as a free agent 4 months later, still paid him a ton of money, and not gutted the team in the process.

Melo might have actually won something with the Knicks, if he hadn't been so greedy on that particular contract. It poisoned his whole time with the Knicks, well that and Amare's never quite clicking with Melo and then getting injured for good shortly afterwards.

That was the only other time that franchise has had any sense of hope in the last 20 years.

The Knicks should be as well run as the Nets are under Sean Marks these past few years.

The Knicks have been a laughingstock every since Jeff Van Gundy was fired, almost 20 years ago.

They had a good man in the front office in Donnie Walsh, and then Dolan forced him to trade away all the young players he had stockpiled and developed, in order to pay Carmelo Anthony a max contract, when they could have had him as a free agent 4 months later, still paid him a ton of money, and not gutted the team in the process.

Melo might have actually won something with the Knicks, if he hadn't been so greedy on that particular contract. It poisoned his whole time with the Knicks, well that and Amare's never quite clicking with Melo and then getting injured for good shortly afterwards.

That was the only other time that franchise has had any sense of hope in the last 20 years.
Knicks are screwed until Dolan sells. The NBA is a players' league and the Knicks don't seem to be able to get the super star free agents because of Dolan. The Nets are only good because Kyrie and Durant would rather play in Siberia than for Dolan.

As a Nets fan for over 30 years (I bought my first NJ Nets hat the day after they drafted DC) and a half season ticket holder during the Jason Kidd era, it's great watching this team. Both Harden and Irving are the type of players that you hate when they play for other teams but you love when they are on your team. Harden's passing has been a pleasant surprise to me - averaging over 11 assists per game with Nets. They are a fun team to watch. The role players like Joe Harris and Jeff Green (despite his pedigree) are very likeable. (And Richard Jefferson is fun color analyst on YES.)

As an aside I starting lurking on this board in Oct 2001, but didn't post anything. My first post on this board was in June 2002 when the Nets were about to play the Lakers in the NBA finals. I posted a series analysis that concluded the Nets had a good chance to beat the Lakers. After the Nets were swept I didn't post at all for 2 years.

As a Nets fan for over 30 years (I bought my first NJ Nets hat the day after they drafted DC) and a half season ticket holder during the Jason Kidd era, it's great watching this team. Both Harden and Irving are the type of players that you hate when they play for other teams but you love when they are on your team. Harden's passing has been a pleasant surprise to me - averaging over 11 assists per game with Nets. They are a fun team to watch. The role players like Joe Harris and Jeff Green (despite his pedigree) are very likeable. (And Richard Jefferson is fun color analyst on YES.)

As an aside I starting lurking on this board in Oct 2001, but didn't post anything. My first post on this board was in June 2002 when the Nets were about to play the Lakers in the NBA finals. I posted a series analysis that concluded the Nets had a good chance to beat the Lakers. After the Nets were swept I didn't post at all for 2 years.
Glad you're back! Don't be a stranger.

Even without Durant for most of these recent games, the Nets have now won 9 out of 10 and are only a half game out of first place.

Really fun team to watch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom