Brown opponent passer rating rankings | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Brown opponent passer rating rankings

Brown gives me the feeling a totally solid guy and Dino never did. And I'll say this about Nunz, for me, he had the best game presence of any coach at SU outside of Doug. He just has "it". It was just 1 game, but I could see it. It blew me away. Fran needs to recruit a class this year, like in the mid 40's. That could help him get some time to build out.
Yup. Nunz might be in line for a HC gig

I like the fact he was an assistant head coach for Rhule, a DC for Carey and coached under a national championship program. Those are things Dabo didnt experience prior to taking over as IC. IC just keeps someone's else work flowing until the end of the season. Thats like giving Nunz the HC job because he did will keeping the ship from sinking.
Dabo was ahc at Clemson

I don't know why these damn immeasurables are so hard to measure ;)

This is so far from this discussion, but if you've had kids on sports teams you know coaches demeanor and leadership beyond X's and O's (or how you use your double pivot in the midfield for those who follow the other football) matter. Vibes and culture and accountability are all weird things that most every really good team has.

We just like to hang out in the quantifiable because it's easier to grasp and predict.

Exactly. So saying Fran Brown was just a DB coach is cutting him short.
I don't care about ahc. Meaningless means of paying people more.

You thought it was something Brown had that dabo didn't. It matters to you. Just because I'm correcting you doesn't mean that I think it's important.

I don't care about ahc. Meaningless means of paying people more.

You thought it was something Brown had that dabo didn't. It matters to you. Just because I'm correcting you doesn't mean that I think it's important.
Then why bring it up? You didn’t have to correct me. I already knew that. That’s why I used Dabo’s resume to compare Brown. I don’t expect a fan to know the details of that position so don’t worry.

Then why bring it up? You didn’t have to correct me. I already knew that. That’s why I used Dabo’s resume to compare Brown. I don’t expect a fan to know the details of that position so don’t worry.
since it mattered to you I thought you'd like to know.

I found it hard to believe Daboo didn't have that assistant to the regional manager title so I checked

since it mattered to you I thought you'd like to know.

I found it hard to believe Daboo didn't have that assistant to the regional manager title so I checked
Nah you already know it’s easy to Google

Opponent passer rating ranking nationally
2013 107 Temple
2014 20 Temple
2015 23 Temple
2016 13 Temple
2017 119 Baylor
2018 95 Baylor
2019 21 Temple
2020 106 Rutgers
2021 98 Rutgers
2022 15 Georgia
2023 7 Georgia

5 years 95th or worse
6 years 23rd or better

He made a difference at temple. Baylor and Rutgers, not so much during his time there anyway
Shrug
Maybe not nothing but doesn't seem to be very dispositive. Lots of other factors having impact.

Are two year windows at Baylor and Rutgers sufficient data points to show a difference being made? I honestly don’t know.

The other thing is…even if there was a direct 1:1 correlation of better defenses against passing I probably wouldn’t change my thinking much. It’s a high risk high reward hire regardless.
I don’t know. I think it’s a high risk medium reward kind of hire driven by low cost. No one knows how he’s he going to run an entire team. Granted, he’s been learning from one of the best.

But what’s a potential “high” reward in this case? Averaging 7 wins? 8 wins? 9? I doubt very much it’s a return to top-20 finishes and occasional playoff appearances and conference championships. The risk is that he’s not a good head coach and stumbles to .425 winning percentages. But SU will certainly save money with Brown compared to Dino for that kind of record.

Or, hear me out, I'm just saying what I think. It is a dumb risk that of course isn't certain to fail. I'm sorry that az doesn't understand probabilities
There are many things AZOrange doesn’t understand.

I don’t know. I think it’s a high risk medium reward kind of hire driven by low cost. No one knows how he’s he going to run an entire team. Granted, he’s been learning from one of the best.

But what’s a potential “high” reward in this case? Averaging 7 wins? 8 wins? 9? I doubt very much it’s a return to top-20 finishes and occasional playoff appearances and conference championships. The risk is that he’s not a good head coach and stumbles to .425 winning percentages. But SU will certainly save money with Brown compared to Dino for that kind of record.
Curious if your assessment of risk and reward has changed at all now that we've seen Brown croot.

Curious if your assessment of risk and reward has changed at all now that we've seen Brown croot.
I doubt it...his only other posts about Brown were before signing day complaining about a recruiting graphic on Twitter referencing "murdered 90s rappers" and saying this will all end poorly. Something tells me his thoughts will never change, lol

I'm not going to get into the weeds on a teams opponent passer rating because it's not a good measure of defensive backs.

Believe me, I can't shake the feeling this is going to be a disaster but I have to see how the staff shakes out. I'm way more worried if he has the chops to be the CEO; organize and manage a +/- 200 person operation.
It certainly will be interesting

OK, sure. It's been a whole month. I felt that SU has saved money with this hire and everyone knew Brown as a very good recruiter. Those were true when he was hired and they have not changed. Also something that hasn't changed, he still hasn't coached a college game yet. Brown has stocked up with kids he (and his DC) have had previous relationships. Most new hires do, they bring in the kids they've been recruiting previously. Fortunately for Syracuse, he and ER were recruiting 4 and 5-stars with UGA and A&M and not MAC 2-stars.

We all know that next season is a pretty soft schedule, so I don't think 8 wins are out of the question at all and 10 could be pretty doable. Dino won 10 games once. He also beat Clemson in Syracuse and nearly beat them again AT Clemson. That said, recruiting isn't everything. Superstar coaching hire Scott Frost went a combined 16-31 at Nebraska and generally was a pretty good recruiter:
Nebraska recruited well during coach Scott Frost's tenure as his first class finished No. 21 nationally, followed by finishes of 15, 17 and 18 in the team recruiting rankings. The Huskers finished No. 41 overall in 2022
What's Syracuse now? 41? Are top-20 classes expected now?

I've been around this forum long enough to remember the ecstatic posts about how great AD Coyle was because he hired Dino Babers. I thought Schafer might have been able to continue Doug's success. He didn't. It's OK to be excited, but at the same, SU football has been one of the worst P5 programs for 20 years. I'm gonna need a little more than a month of recruiting to change my opinion, one I don't think is very controversial, that SU saved money with his hiring and that SU can't really expect top-20 finishes and conference championships (and potential playoffs) as the likely ceiling here. Frankly because if Brown does do that, I don't think he's around long enough to be a perennial powerhouse (I know he said life, but hey life changes. Just ask Doug.).

OK, sure. It's been a whole month. I felt that SU has saved money with this hire and everyone knew Brown as a very good recruiter. Those were true when he was hired and they have not changed. Also something that hasn't changed, he still hasn't coached a college game yet. Brown has stocked up with kids he (and his DC) have had previous relationships. Most new hires do, they bring in the kids they've been recruiting previously. Fortunately for Syracuse, he and ER were recruiting 4 and 5-stars with UGA and A&M and not MAC 2-stars.

We all know that next season is a pretty soft schedule, so I don't think 8 wins are out of the question at all and 10 could be pretty doable. Dino won 10 games once. He also beat Clemson in Syracuse and nearly beat them again AT Clemson. That said, recruiting isn't everything. Superstar coaching hire Scott Frost went a combined 16-31 at Nebraska and generally was a pretty good recruiter:

I've been around this forum long enough to remember the ecstatic posts about how great AD Coyle was because he hired Dino Babers. I thought Schafer might have been able to continue Doug's success. He didn't. It's OK to be excited, but at the same, SU football has been one of the worst P5 programs for 20 years. I'm gonna need a little more than a month of recruiting to change my opinion, one I don't think is very controversial, that SU saved money with his hiring and that SU can't really expect top-20 finishes and conference championships (and potential playoffs) as the likely ceiling here. Frankly because if Brown does do that, I don't think he's around long enough to be a perennial powerhouse (I know he said life, but hey life changes. Just ask Doug.).
That’s a fair post.

The problem with the cheap narrative is the multiple examples of where the opposite of that has played out in the last month, even if Fran was cheaper, which we don't actually know.

Coach E was bought away from TAMU for a LATERAL position from an SEC school that pays top 5

Coach Nick Williams was bought away from Colorado for a LATERAL position from an P5 program that is throwing whatever money Prime asks for

Exective Director Khalil Ahmad was bought away from PSU for a LATERAL position from a B1G school that pays top 10 (they just hired their second P5 head coach for a D coordinator position)

We pulled our OC with previous P5 OC experience and NFL OC experience from an NFL team

We pulled our S&C coaches from Georgia and Colorado

We hired a GM for football that is a high paying position that never even existed before

There are more, but I think I can rest my case.

WE ARE INVESTING IN FOOTBALL!!!! THE SOONER EVERY FAN GETS ON BOARD THE MORE MOMENTUM WE CAN GENERATE!!!!!

LETS GO!

The problem with the cheap narrative is the multiple examples of where the opposite of that has played out in the last month, even if Fran was cheaper, which we don't actually know.

Coach E was bought away from TAMU for a LATERAL position from an SEC school that pays top 5

Coach Nick Williams was bought away from Colorado for a LATERAL position from an P5 program that is throwing whatever money Prime asks for

Exective Director Khalil Ahmad was bought away from PSU for a LATERAL position from a B1G school that pays top 10 (they just hired their second P5 head coach for a D coordinator position)

We pulled our OC with previous P5 OC experience and NFL OC experience from an NFL team

We pulled our S&C coaches from Georgia and Colorado

We hired a GM for football that is a high paying position that never even existed before

There are more, but I think I can rest my case.

WE ARE INVESTING IN FOOTBALL!!!! THE SOONER EVERY FAN GETS ON BOARD THE MORE MOMENTUM WE CAN GENERATE!!!!!

LETS GO!
Good points.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom