Brutal si.com "Busting Brackets" JB article | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Brutal si.com "Busting Brackets" JB article

The reality of the Bleacher Report is even worse.

CNN bought it out and uses it as its legitimate sports arm.

That is certainly not getting on the great moments in journalism reel.
You know what bums me out? Bleacher Report reached out to me on the exgf board way back when they were first starting to see if I'd be interested in writing for them. I kid you not, it must have been because they thought I was some kind of insightful poster or something. Anyway, it wasn't a particularly good time in my life to take on a side thing like that so I declined, but now I look back and think, geez, as much as we make fun of BR that thing is for real now, and I passed on hitching to that wagon.

The author called out JB for the lack of Coleman's development ... yet he failed to mention in the article that DC had been out of action for almost two months with a knee injury which required surgery.

An important detail to leave out.

Yeah, that was kind of a big omission. But that being said, exactly how much PT do you think DC would be getting had he been healthy all year? I imagine it would be exactly comparable to what he saw before the injury - little to none with the token starts. Maybe.

My post was in reference to EVERY 'expert' last year throughout the season questioning who our "guy" was.

Jason Williams, Gottlieb, Seth Davis, Hubert Davis etc... it wasn't really a question - it was more of a joke on what was certainly said by a lot of people.

Nunes had a field day with it last year.

absolutely correct, and what we learned was that FAB ("F" FAB BTW) was the key and Dion was the man.

So yes, last year we were great and stuff but who is "the guy" was all the rage, we now know the huge center was a key to our success and Dion was "the man". So yeah you're correct, can't always get that across in text messages.

But JB rarely makes adjustments and we ain't got "the man".

But JB rarely makes adjustments and we ain't got "the man".

I'm curious what makes you say that?

I fall within the camp that this has not been JB's finest year, though in life I generally give most everyone the benefit of the doubt and I'll extend JB the same courtesy until the season is over; but I can think of plenty of seasons where JB has adjusted over the course of the year. In 07 he completely changed up his lineup right around the time we beat Gtown at home and got Andy major minutes. In 09 we played mostly man by the end of the year when the team finally got somewhat serious about defense. After Wisconsin hit their first 27 3's to start the second half last year I thought JB adjusted the zone to limit their opportunities and force them into some bad shots. In 03 JB took a ton of criticism for removing Pace from the lineup with one DNP in order to integrate Billy into the rotation. He took major amounts of criticism here for that. In 08 I was shocked at how many minutes Kristof earned by the end of the year. These major team adjustments over the course of several seasons are nothing compared to the game adjustments that he makes. We've had more than our fair share of improbably second half comebacks over the years.

I'd love to see Cooney and Grant get more minutes over Triche and JS, but it's hard to fault someone too much for choosing to rely on the seniors that presumably should provide leadership versus relatively unproven first year players.

I'm curious what makes you say that? ... ... ...

In game adjustments. If you are really curious, yes he will stretch the zone if teams are making threes against us, but offensively? (this year especially) in out last 2 losses to Gtown, but include Louieville in that, seems he doesn't adjust.

Now maybe the adjust that need to be made cannot be achieved by this team, and by that I mean, the way to beat GTown, is to go low and get them in foul trouble (see 'Nova win over GTown), but tell me , what adjustments did he make in the GTown games?

Was the 2nd GTown game over by 5 mins into the 2nd half or not, (clue it was). Put Coleman in (if he's healthy) give Grant some time, I don't buy that 37 years crap anymore.

OK - we can't judge a team by one game, but as the competition got better, we got worst. That is way I wanna go out west and clear our heads and not see another BE team in the NCAA's
So here is the plan, Win 1 or 2 in the BET, go west, clear our heads, win, win, win, win, win, win.

In game adjustments. If you are really curious, yes he will stretch the zone if teams are making threes against us, but offensively? (this year especially) in out last 2 losses to Gtown, but include Louieville in that, seems he doesn't adjust.

Now maybe the adjust that need to be made cannot be achieved by this team, and by that I mean, the way to beat GTown, is to go low and get them in foul trouble (see 'Nova win over GTown), but tell me , what adjustments did he make in the GTown games?

Was the 2nd GTown game over by 5 mins into the 2nd half or not, (clue it was). Put Coleman in (if he;s healthy) gime Grant some time, I don't buy thet 37 years crap any more.

OK - we can't judge a team by one game, but as the competition got better, we got worst. That is way I wanna go out west and clear our heads and not see another BE team in the NCAA's
So here is the plan, Win 1 or 2 in the BET, go west, clear our heads, win, win, win, win, win, win.

Great points and I agree that going out west would be great for this team.

What I saw with the gtown game was a team that came out and played really hard and missed shots. The inability to score adversely affected the defense and you could see the frustration rise. Unfortunately, it snowballed into a dumpster fire.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Well there you have it. A consolidation of just about every JB complaint you have ever heard. At least recently.

It's actually entertaining and cleverly-written. And there's enough truth in each of the points to get some people shaking their head in agreement.

But essentially a hatchet job in which he throws everything but the kitchen sink at Boeheim and never even alludes to anything positive. I guess that's what you get when you have little respect for the cub reporters from the backwaters of journalism that try and fire "gotcha". questions at you for decades. It's the "Revenge of the Hacks"

I wonder how anyone might answer the question about having the lowest fouls shooting percentage in D-I college basketball over the years? Is that a question or an attempt to embarrass the guy?

The author no doubt cheered a lot of the critics on this board.

But let me give you the bad news. JB isn't coming back from golf to give us (or you) the team we deserve. This is as good as it gets. This is a down year in a long run of relative success. When JB leaves, no savior is going to come in and take the program to even greater heights. Its a freaking miracle it is where it is given all the handicaps the programs faces like the location of the school. At best it will continue at the same level, but in all probability its going down. It might even go way down.

If that happens, the last "first class" thing in Central New York will have left the building. Thirty-five thousand Central New Yorkers aren't going to queue up to spend any of their dwindling discretionary income for anything else.

Like it or not, Boeheim is the SU basketball program. He built it and he managed it to 35 years of good success.

When I first came to campus in the 1960's it was all football at SU. Since then football --- as at least some of you know --- has twice gone into two 10 to 15 year droughts. Think that can't happen in basketball?

I wouldn't want to see it. But if it did there would be a certain "you don't know what you got til its gone" deliciousness to it.

Here’s the dossier on the banal SU offense: Fair flashes to the post while the guards aimlessly swing the ball around the perimeter in their own version of Boeheim buck passing. Somewhere along that sequence, a turnover or errant perimeter jumper happens.

I agree with all of this.

It seems like for the past month its been 40 minutes of freelancing.

I stopped reading that after the first couple paragraphs. It's amazing how many people think they know something about basketball just because they like to watch it. I've played and reffed at the college level, and coached at the HS level, and the dumb stuff you hear from people who don't know anything but who their favorite team is, just makes me shake my head. I know Boeheim has his warts. But when one of those talking heads has something to say after actually running a program for an appreciable length of time dealing with real kids and real life, then I'll listen. Until then, Evan and those like you, please just .

Great post.

And people wonder why JB gets aggravated after 30+ years of being asked "gotcha" questions asked by clueless reporters.

So Boeheim is to blame for our two seniors being head-cases and not being able to make shots? I don't buy it.
No he is to blame for not trying to do something about it. Even if he has tried, it's been a failure. The things going on need some drastic changes or adjustments. There is no evidence of either.

the only thing that was off was talking about james southerland no longer being a consistent 1 trick pony.

the only consistency James has ever had was the 2 game stretch where he hit 14 3's that included Arkansas.
Actually, James had been consistent since returning. 3+ 3's made in each game up until these last two. He had been shooting 43% from deep (23/53) in those 7 games, with double digits in each scoring at roughly his season average (14ppg). Throw in his typical 5 rebounds per and he was finally showing some consistency. Prior to that stretch, he had only made 3+ 3's in a game 6 times all season, and was shooting 38% from there.

Basically is a synopsis of some of the threads from yesterday. Couldn't find it on a OE link. Check it out:

http://bustingbrackets.com/2013/03/09/syracuse-basketball-jim-boeheim-deserves-blame-for-oranges-late-season-flop/[/quote]

It's certainly not a surprise to see an emerging meme that is anti Boeheimian and also challanges the notion that the hall of fame coach shouldn't be questioned, or held accountable in some areas. Jimmy B's distainful condecension has accumulated over the years in the form of sleeper assasins ready to join in grabbing pitchforks and torches at the first cry of "The emporor has no clothes!".

Whether right or wrong, Boeheims bullying and speak first without thinking will in the very least diminsh his stature and tarnish his reputation and that of the image of the Syracuse basketball program as well. Perhaps his stubborness has been an attribute to him in some areas over the years but I don't think it's a stretch to say that it has at times had a negative impact on the team and it's players.

One has to wonder about the corellation posed between Brandon's complete disintigration and the widely publicized comments by Jimmy B regarding the need for Brandon to be the leading scorer all the time. I certainly can see the truth in Jimmy's statement regarding Brandon but it's no secret that the kid's emotional tethering is delicate. Even though the teams record is nothing to sneeze at this year there are definitely some questions that are emerging that previously were not being put out there with a defiant and angry tone.

I think Jimmy being a little more civil and adhering to the fact that some things are best left unspoken would go a long way. It's not just about Jim Boeheim.

I think I agree with this; it just seems like the argument of "is it JB's fault that X can't do Y" is only stated to make JB look good. If you're going to say "is it JB's fault that Triche and Southerland can't shoot?" then shouldn't you also say " was it JB's coaching that made Melo score so many points?"
Actually it was in a lot of ways. Isn't there comments on how JB sat Melo and JMac down and told JMac who the scorer was on the team? Also when the team needed a basket, who got call for plays.

Mostly spot on, though the anger and disgust drip off of every word.

The team and the coaching staff all deserve blame. JB deserves a lot for the lack of improvement, lack of overall skill and the inability to adjust and improve during the year. It's been a rough month.

Completely agree. The article is almost entirely correct. He just used a very immature and arrogant tone to the message. People around here love to give kudos to Jim when we are excelling, but blame the players when we falter.

Well there you have it. A consolidation of just about every JB complaint you have ever heard. At least recently.

It's actually entertaining and cleverly-written. And there's enough truth in each of the points to get some people shaking their head in agreement.

But essentially a hatchet job in which he throws everything but the kitchen sink at Boeheim and never even alludes to anything positive. I guess that's what you get when you have little respect for the cub reporters from the backwaters of journalism that try and fire "gotcha". questions at you for decades. It's the "Revenge of the Hacks"

I wonder how anyone might answer the question about having the lowest fouls shooting percentage in D-I college basketball over the years? Is that a question or an attempt to embarrass the guy?

The author no doubt cheered a lot of the critics on this board.

But let me give you the bad news. JB isn't coming back from golf to give us (or you) the team we deserve. This is as good as it gets. This is a down year in a long run of relative success. When JB leaves, no savior is going to come in and take the program to even greater heights. Its a freaking miracle it is where it is given all the handicaps the programs faces like the location of the school. At best it will continue at the same level, but in all probability its going down. It might even go way down.

If that happens, the last "first class" thing in Central New York will have left the building. Thirty-five thousand Central New Yorkers aren't going to queue up to spend any of their dwindling discretionary income for anything else.

Like it or not, Boeheim is the SU basketball program. He built it and he managed it to 35 years of good success.

When I first came to campus in the 1960's it was all football at SU. Since then football --- as at least some of you know --- has twice gone into two 10 to 15 year droughts. Think that can't happen in basketball?

I wouldn't want to see it. But if it did there would be a certain "you don't know what you got til its gone" deliciousness to it.

Townie, your love for Boeheim would be much more admirable if you were capable of seeing both sides to an argument. As it is, you seem to just dismiss and opinion about Jim that is negative as "wrong". Gotta get past that buddy.

PS - i dont want Jim to leave, but this program is very capable of succeeding without him at this point. it is a self-sustaining program. Kids come here for the brand, not the head coach.

Townie, your love for Boeheim would be much more admirable if you were capable of seeing both sides to an argument. As it is, you seem to just dismiss and opinion about Jim that is negative as "wrong". Gotta get past that buddy.

PS - i dont want Jim to leave, but this program is very capable of succeeding without him at this point. it is a self-sustaining program. Kids come here for the brand, not the head coach.

There is no such thing in college sports.

Actually it was in a lot of ways. Isn't there comments on how JB sat Melo and JMac down and told JMac who the scorer was on the team? Also when the team needed a basket, who got call for plays.

No. That's backwards.

Sent using my Commodore 64

Completely agree. The article is almost entirely correct. He just used a very immature and arrogant tone to the message. People around here love to give kudos to Jim when we are excelling, but blame the players when we falter.
What? We're going through a rough time. This joker comes angrily out of the woodwork and is throwing everything at the wall. He obviously has a personal problem with JB that he has let into his writing.

As for incorrect pieces in his article, a few are: no player development, no adjustments, that JB recruits exclusively for his zone. The guy is just a mad hack journalist taking his shot while he has it.

What? We're going through a rough time. This joker comes angrily out of the woodwork and is throwing everything at the wall. He obviously has a personal problem with JB that he has let into his writing.

As for incorrect pieces in his article, a few are: no player development, no adjustments, that JB recruits exclusively for his zone. The guy is just a mad hack journalist taking his shot while he has it.

these are just your opinions, not fact. I tend to agree with you more or less, but this clown who wrote the article is no more correct/wrong than you are. its all opinion.

I think this year Jim has done a real poor job. That is my opinion, but it is not without merit. He is a top 5 coach of all time, but everyone has a bad year. he had one. Nothing he tried (or more often than not - did not try) seemed to work. We can blame the shooters all we want, but if you are going to keep jacking them up as a main part of the offense... that is on the coach. I think we all want Cuse to thrive on this board, so differing views are ok.

Like that mattered, the game was over 5 mins into the 2nd 1/2 any way.

That's when I had to stop watching before I ended up breaking something. :D
Decided to watch our Lax team beat St John's instead