Bryce and Manny... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Bryce and Manny...

I get they supposedly have some elite prospects coming but they all won't pan out.
According to Baseball Prospectus, the Padres have nine prospects in the top 100. Five of those are in the Top 50. If just one-third of those guys “pan out,” the Padres will be fine for at least six or seven years.

Saw last night on MLB Network that Padres are allocating 32% of their total payroll to 2 players -- Machado and Hosmer. Will be hard to put enough other pieces around them to field a playoff team. Same thing Rangers did with A-Rod in 2001. I get they supposedly have some elite prospects coming but they all won't pan out. And buying pitching is expensive. Wouldn't be surprised if SD has a fire sale in a few years.

That's what happens when you only have like 4 guys that have surpassed arbitration on the roster.

Machado took the Hosmer route. Sign for the max dollars while playing for a team that is likely to go 10-15 games under .500. Seems fitting. At least he won't have to worry about improving on last year's abysmal postseason performance.

The Padres should be winners within a few years. Great farm system.

Baseball more than any other sport is about having players hit their prime in years 2-4. Players peak so much earlier now.

Saw last night on MLB Network that Padres are allocating 32% of their total payroll to 2 players -- Machado and Hosmer. Will be hard to put enough other pieces around them to field a playoff team. Same thing Rangers did with A-Rod in 2001. I get they supposedly have some elite prospects coming but they all won't pan out. And buying pitching is expensive. Wouldn't be surprised if SD has a fire sale in a few years.

Not that big an issue. Players peak on average about 2 years earlier now than 20 years ago. Therefore you can win with a team with a few high paid players that is heavy pre-arb or arb. It does make it a little harder but not like in 2001.

The Padres should be winners within a few years. Great farm system.

Baseball more than any other sport is about having players hit their prime in years 2-4. Players peak so much earlier now.

My point was more about the player choosing max dollars over the chance to win. Manny is probably blissfully unaware as to whether the Padres have a good farm system or not. Not to mention that evaluating farm systems is a tricky business. The rankings seem to change quite a bit in just a few years time.

My point was more about the player choosing max dollars over the chance to win.
I believe Machado put himself in a position to do a lot of winning over many years. In the long term, would he really have a better chance to win with the White Sox or Phillies?

I believe Machado put himself in a position to do a lot of winning over many years. In the long term, would he really have a better chance to win with the White Sox or Phillies?

I think the Phillies are better positioned than the Padres. JMO. Plus Phillie fans would ride his arse pretty badly the first time he jogs to 1B.

Lol, right? The outrage here is nuts.

Yes, they’ve each won a World Series this century. Beyond that, they’re not exactly the first franchises that come up when you start talking about winning.

Plus it’s cold and miserable for 2 months worth of home games every season, and the fans are all angsty.

I’d go to San Diego over Chicago or Philly, anyday.

Lol, right? The outrage here is nuts.

Yes, they’ve each won a World Series this century. Beyond that, they’re not exactly the first franchises that come up when you start talking about winning.

Plus it’s cold and miserable for 2 months worth of home games every season, and the fans are all angsty.

I’d go to San Diego over Chicago or Philly, anyday.

My point was more about taking notably less - but still a ton - to play with a contender. But God forbid a MLB player do that. He'd be bounced from the union.

My point was more about taking notably less - but still a ton - to play with a contender. But God forbid a MLB player do that. He'd be bounced from the union.

Boswell has a column today on Harper how Boras lead him into a box. Guy could’ve stayed on a team built to win in the big market where he’s beloved. Now it’s whatever.

Boswell has a column today on Harper how Boras lead him into a box. Guy could’ve stayed on a team built to win in the big market where he’s beloved. Now it’s whatever.

Yeah seems like it will end up being a lose/lose for just everybody other than Boreass.

It seems important to you to be able to paint this deal as a greedy player sacrificing winning for money. You ignore that anyone whose analysis of baseball franchises goes beyond looking at last year's record believes the Padres are going to be competitive for many years. Machado got top-dollar and has a good chance to do a lot of winning for most of his contract length. I think you just don't like him.

It seems important to you to be able to paint this deal as a greedy player sacrificing winning for money. You ignore that anyone whose analysis of baseball franchises goes beyond looking at last year's record believes the Padres are going to be competitive for many years. Machado got top-dollar and has a good chance to do a lot of winning for most of his contract length. I think you just don't like him.

Meh. We hear all of the time about great farm systems only to see them often not pan out. I'd take the other side of your claim all day long. Btw the Phillies, who u dismissed above, consistently have had their farm system ranked in single digit territory for a couple of years now. SD had the worst record in the NL last year and hasn't finished above .500 since 2010.

Last edited:
Meh. We hear all of the time about great farm systems only to see them often not pan out. I'd take the other side of your claim all day long. Btw the Phillies, who u dismissed above, consistently have had their farm system ranked in single digit territory for a couple of years now. SD had the worst record in the NL last year and hasn't finished above .500 since 2010.
I didn't dismiss the Phillies, but I reject your claim that their future is unmistakably better than the Padres (that is essentially what you're saying).

To say that choosing the Padres over the Phillies is choosing money over winning is a gigantic stretch.

The problem 90% of these FAs are that they want to get paid based on their past not future. That is because they become FAs in the 28-30 range and want long term contracts.
Craig Kimbrel and Dallas Kuechel aren’t getting these long term contracts because they won’t be worth 15+ million in the mid 30s.
Machado and Harper are only 26 so while I would never give a player a 10 year contract atleast those guys make some sense to give them too.

Baseball should change FA rules. Players should become FAs after 4 years of service team.
FA contracts however should be limited to 7 years max and put a rule that allows the team of the FA be able to give an 8th year to give them an advantage.

If players got to FA earlier then the long term contracts would be safer.

I didn't dismiss the Phillies, but I reject your claim that their future is unmistakably better than the Padres (that is essentially what you're saying).

To say that choosing the Padres over the Phillies is choosing money over winning is a gigantic stretch.

It would be a gigantic stretch but I never said that. I was including highly competitive teams that MM would never consider cuz he wanted max dollars.

I was talking about MLB in general (like Hosmer last year) and Machado specifically here, they're mercenaries that are looking for max dollars. Playing in meaningful games in even August is not a priority for these guys. That's not really debatable.

The notion that Machado is geeked up about SD's future prospects is a joke. He was looking for and took max dollars just like his agent and his union wanted him to do. Similar to ARod going to Texas nearly 20 years ago. Max dollars even tho he knew that team was sheet.

It would be a gigantic stretch but I never said that. I was including highly competitive teams that MM would never consider cuz he wanted max dollars.

I was talking about MLB in general (like Hosmer last year) and Machado specifically here, they're mercenaries that are looking for max dollars. Playing in meaningful games in even August is not a priority for these guys. That's not really debatable.

The notion that Machado is geeked up about SD's future prospects is a joke. He was looking for and took max dollars just like his agent and his union wanted him to do. Similar to ARod going to Texas nearly 20 years ago. Max dollars even tho he knew that team was sheet.
White Sox offer could have been more

I was talking about MLB in general (like Hosmer last year) and Machado specifically here, they're mercenaries that are looking for max dollars. Playing in meaningful games in even August is not a priority for these guys. That's not really debatable..
He has put himself in a position where he could be playing meaningful games in August for several years, so it is debatable.

He has put himself in a position where he could be playing meaningful games in August for several years, so it is debatable.

No kidding. This argument is ridiculous. Too think he's not aware of their loaded pipeline coming but that we on a Syracuse fan board do is completely absurd. Of course farm system rankings fluctuate year to year, top prospects hit the majors and no longer count. Sure seems like it worked out pretty great for the Astros and Cubs but I guess if you just ignore how a bunch of current powerhouses were built in the last half decade then thats just easier.

No kidding. This argument is ridiculous. Too think he's not aware of their loaded pipeline coming but that we on a Syracuse fan board do is completely absurd. Of course farm system rankings fluctuate year to year, top prospects hit the majors and no longer count. Sure seems like it worked out pretty great for the Astros and Cubs but I guess if you just ignore how a bunch of current powerhouses were built in the last half decade then thats just easier.

Yeah I guess it was the farm system that won him over and not the $$$. It took him several weeks to make a decision cuz he was doing research on everyone's farm system.

SD was 30 games under .500 last year and has been 10+ games under .500 every year since 2010. It might be debatable but they better have a helluva farm system to turn that ship around. I heard the same things last year when they signed Hosmer.

All that aside, you're missing my main point. These guys are happy to take the risk that they end up playing a ton of meaningless games just so long as they get paid max $$$. And the two biggest boosters of that MO are the MLB Players Union and Scott Boras. That's not debatable.

I really wanted to see the Padres get Harper too. It would be a great experiment to see if a team could allocate 2/3 of its total payroll to just 3 players and have a contending team. Personally I don't believe so. But it would cause shock waves through MLB if it worked. The Texas Rangers tried a variation of this when they signed A-Rod for the 2001 season for massive money and it totally bombed as they finished last 3 straight years and then gave up and dealt him in a salary dump.

Not sure the Cubs are the best example. Their four starting pitchers in the 2016 World Series were Lester, Kendrick, Arrietta and Lackey while their closer was Chapman. None of them were drafted by the Cubs.

Last edited:
I really wanted to see the Padres get Harper too. It would be a great experiment to see if a team could allocate 2/3 of its total payroll to just 3 players and have a contending team. Personally I don't believe so. But it would cause shock waves through MLB if it worked. The Texas Rangers tried a variation of this when they signed A-Rod for the 2001 season for massive money and it totally bombed as they finished last 3 straight years and then gave up and dealt him in a salary dump.

Yeah history has shown these mega deals rarely work out in favor of the signing team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom