Bryce and Manny... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Bryce and Manny...

Still a bad contract. The $$$ part of this equation seems to have eluded you.
It was a bad move for Texas because the roster was not in a place where it made sense to dedicate that much money to one player. From simply a market perspective, A-Rod performed at a level appropriate for that contract.

It was a good contract for the Yankees for those four years.

It's amazing the steroid guys who are disliked and who get a pass. ARod, Bonds, Clemens, etc. get killed. Petite, Papi, Sheffield, etc. get passes.
Hmm I don't remember papi being tied to a proven roids case. The MLB list has never been made public. ARod and Bonds were tied to roids dealers. And clemens was called out by his workout guru.

Pretty sure A-Rod won MVP one of those last place finishing seasons.

Which is interesting, because had he not played well I guess they would have finished... worse than last?
Yes A-Rod put up phenomenal numbers. Rangers just couldn't afford to put other good players around him because they had so much money tied up in him.

It was a bad move for Texas because the roster was not in a place where it made sense to dedicate that much money to one player. From simply a market perspective, A-Rod performed at a level appropriate for that contract.

It was a good contract for the Yankees for those four years.

It never makes sense to dedicate that much $$$ to one player unless the guy is a stud pitcher that wins 20 games like clockwork and is a beast in the postseason. Not too many of those guys walking around.

Btw in those four years the NYY never even made it to the world series while in the previous eight years they went six times. Ah the Cooler.

Overwhelming evidence against the first trio plus Pettitte copped to it and didn't lie like the others. The case against papi is weak. The guy was tested relentlessly for the last five years of his career and was still banging out 35-40 dingers a year.
Lance Armstrong never tested positive.
Nobody used once.

Saw last night on MLB Network that Padres are allocating 32% of their total payroll to 2 players -- Machado and Hosmer. Will be hard to put enough other pieces around them to field a playoff team. Same thing Rangers did with A-Rod in 2001. I get they supposedly have some elite prospects coming but they all won't pan out. And buying pitching is expensive. Wouldn't be surprised if SD has a fire sale in a few years.
You’re assuming their payroll won’t go up .. every major league team is awash in cash from TV revenue and the recent sale of BAMtech...there are no longer any small or big market teams .. it’s just about small and big market spending.. mlb needs a salary floor over 100 million

The problem with most of these deals is that the signing team gets crushed on the back end, the last 3-4 years. Def happens a majority of the time.

I'm not sure that ARod even at his original 10/252 was a great deal given his postseason futility and the shame he brought upon himself and his team. Then when he opted out and forced NY to dole out more $$$ that was just insult to injury.
Yankees didn’t have to sign him after he opted out ..

You’re assuming their payroll won’t go up .. every major league team is awash in cash from TV revenue and the recent sale of BAMtech...there are no longer any small or big market teams .. it’s just about small and big market spending.. mlb needs a salary floor over 100 million
I don't necessarily disagree with a salary floor concept, but MLB is so weird because a certain chunk of every season on every team is played by guys that are basically minor leaguers just filling in. I'm not sure how to reconcile that reality with salary requirements from organizations.

It's amazing the steroid guys who are disliked and who get a pass. ARod, Bonds, Clemens, etc. get killed. Petite, Papi, Sheffield, etc. get passes.

I always laughed at Petite and his apology tour where he claimed “I never used it to get an advantage , I just used it to heal from injury “.

Reducing recovery time from injury and day to day MLB aches and pains is a HUGE COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGE!

I think the trend is to have a few bigger contract players on the team and surround them with pre-free-agent players.

The six years of service before free-agency plan has had its desired effect. Teams are keeping their young stars longer. I suspect that this might have had a negative impact on the middle-class of veteran players. Pre-free-agency players are a valued commodities.

Is this thread still about Bryce and/or Manny?

Yankees didn’t have to sign him after he opted out ..

That's true and I'm sure they wished they had not. You may recall that the night he opted out was the night that the Red Sox won the WS in 2007 and George was still in charge.

Maybe. The Arenado contract is something logically Harper shouldn't meet. Arenado is a better player at a bigger position of need.

Boras really screwed the pooch on this one.

Maybe. The Arenado contract is something logically Harper shouldn't meet. Arenado is a better player at a bigger position of need.

Boras really screwed the pooch on this one.

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. I actually think FAs limit themselves when they choose Boras cuz so many teams hate dealing with him.

As a NYY fan, if you could go back in time would you've been ok with the two ARod contracts or would you have redeployed that $$ elsewhere?

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. I actually think FAs limit themselves when they choose Boras cuz so many teams hate dealing with him.

He led Harper into this black hole thinking numerous team would've been bidding for him. Ted Lerner personally handed him a 300 mil deal and they didn't even respond to it. From a baseball perspective DC was perfect for him.

Like anyone outside of themselves care about AAV, contract length, etc.

As a NYY fan, if you could go back in time would you've been ok with the two ARod contracts or would you have redeployed that $$ elsewhere?

Yes.

Who cares.

If I could go back in time, I wouldn't have traded for Stanton. But it's hard to know if someone will go full Alfonso Soriano in the playoffs until you've seen it.

Nobody thinks the second A-Rod deal was good.

Yes.

Who cares.

If I could go back in time, I wouldn't have traded for Stanton. But it's hard to know if someone will go full Alfonso Soriano in the playoffs until you've seen it.

Was just curious how NYY fans felt about him re his value vs. his contract.

Obviously. At $25 mil per back 15+ years ago that first deal wasn't very good either.
It would have been fine for a team like the Yankees. Like I said before, it was among the most productive seven year periods in history.

It would have been fine for a team like the Yankees. Like I said before, it was among the most productive seven year periods in history.

Stats are fine. Rings are better. If you can't perform in the postseason then the stats don't matter all that much unless you're focused on fantasy.

Stats are fine. Rings are better. If you can't perform in the postseason then the stats don't matter all that much unless you're focused on fantasy.
if you say so

Four extra wins in the regular season can get you to the post season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom