Brycen Goodine Transferring to Providence | Page 41 | Syracusefan.com

Brycen Goodine Transferring to Providence

The fact that people are using stats for a kid who got 200 minutes over the course of the entire season is just bullchit.
Our coach doesn’t give players developmental minutes. They have to be finished products on the court and if they make mistakes get subject to substitution and barking.

JB is a HOF coach and is an outstanding coach when he has good talent. His handling of good players is probably among the best in the nation because he uses them correctly.
However he doesn’t know how to develop a bench and use depth that isn’t perfect but can help over the season.
This opinion doesn’t mean he isn’t a smart HC or a good HC. Every coach has its flaws. What sucks is we lost a good player because he saw his future minutes on the wall.

Brycen Goodine didn’t shoot well last year that isn’t a debate. He didn’t get much playing time to show he could help the team.

In baseball he got the equivalent of 20 ABs and went 2 for 20 at the plate.
He batted .100 in those ABs it doesn’t mean he is going to be a .100 the entire season.

Instead of just giving developmental minutes to the entire team we try to scrap and be mediocre with 6 or 7 and that is the method. If you have a contender and great talent play short rotation when you are going nowhere then see what you talent has.
Goodine won us the Wake game and showed some promise. 200 something minutes the entire season is 5 Buddy or Girard conference games minutes.

This is just dumb. He enrolled at another school where he can continue working on his shooting. Do you really believe Syracuse is the only place where shooting is emphasized?
He may or may not the point was and is he did not and will not at Syracuse. Who cares if he developes somewhere else?

He won the preseason 3-point shooting contest last year over Hughes, BuddyB, and Girard - he made 12 of 15. If he started and/or played significant minutes maybe he shoots better than what he did playing sparingly.
Maybe but he did not and that is the bottom line. He could have stayed but did not, his decision, and I do not care what he does now.

You’re bad at evaluating basketball players
Or maybe you are, but one thing is sure the only true professional that saw him every day did not give him significant minutes. I know everyone on here thinks they are better at it but I doubt that.

College basketball Players used to be patient. Also the talent we used to have in the 1980s or in the 1990s I think it was smart to just roll the ball out when we are rolling out a front line of Billy Owens, Derrick Coleman, and Stevie Thompson.

When that is your front line ride those horses. The talent we’ve been playing the last few years is not anywhere close to the talent that we had. We have played short rotations sonin the short term we could be competitive and mediocre.
We lost a good player because he saw the writing on the wall.
That is one persons opinion, but I still think I will go with the coaches evaluation.

That is one persons opinion, but I still think I will go with the coaches evaluation.
You think the coaches were happy to lose Goodine?
That is what your are saying.
The HC treats every single game like its game 7 of the Finals.

Losing games sucks but it’s part of playing games. Sometimes thinking long term actually helps. That is the complaint. We think shortsided and it has flaws.
Playing a short rotation makes sense when your short rotation are all good to great players.
When the difference between players and 8 and 9 is inexperience how are they supposed to get better Without playing?

Losing games sucks but it’s part of playing games. Sometimes thinking long term actually helps. That is the complaint. We think shortsided and it has flaws.
Playing a short rotation makes sense when your short rotation are all good to great players.
When the difference between players and 8 and 9 is inexperience how are they supposed to get better Without playing?
Exactly. The coaches were reportedly upset that BG left, so obviously they saw enough to want him here. It’s not like they said good riddance. But the point is, if you gave the kid the chance to get better, odds are he stays. This isn’t your fathers SU. If a kid constantly rides the bench, AND he sees others doing what he does but still getting PT, chances are he’ll leave.

The fact that people are using stats for a kid who got 200 minutes over the course of the entire season is just bullchit.
Our coach doesn’t give players developmental minutes. They have to be finished products on the court and if they make mistakes get subject to substitution and barking.

JB is a HOF coach and is an outstanding coach when he has good talent. His handling of good players is probably among the best in the nation because he uses them correctly.
However he doesn’t know how to develop a bench and use depth that isn’t perfect but can help over the season.
This opinion doesn’t mean he isn’t a smart HC or a good HC. Every coach has its flaws. What sucks is we lost a good player because he saw his future minutes on the wall.

Brycen Goodine didn’t shoot well last year that isn’t a debate. He didn’t get much playing time to show he could help the team.

In baseball he got the equivalent of 20 ABs and went 2 for 20 at the plate.
He batted .100 in those ABs it doesn’t mean he is going to be a .100 the entire season.

Instead of just giving developmental minutes to the entire team we try to scrap and be mediocre with 6 or 7 and that is the method. If you have a contender and great talent play short rotation when you are going nowhere then see what you talent has.
Goodine won us the Wake game and showed some promise. 200 something minutes the entire season is 5 Buddy or Girard conference games minutes.
It's kinda like the transition from Torre to Girardi for the Yankees.

Torre, for all his accomplishments, couldn't manage a bullpen. He could manage one horse.

Girardi got how to construct a bullpen and it was always his strength.

JB is an all-time great, but he's not a coach that cultivates bench contribution. Just not his strength.

It's ok. Nobody's good at everything. But we can acknowledge it.

Then stop responding with these ridiculous assertions
You responded to something I posted and so far have been ridiculously argumentative about everything, so you first.

No that is not what I am saying, I am sayiing they decided to play him sparingly because he was not their best option at the time. It was his decision to leave not theirs.
Quit trying to put words in my mouth to support your own agenda.
I assume you meant shortsighted, and that is a viable coaching strategy, however apparently not the one JB ascribes to. When you are named coach, by all means follow your own strategy.

Last edited:
No that is not what I am saying, I am sayiing they decided to play him sparingly because he was not their best option at the time. It was his decision to leave not theirs.
Quit trying to put words in my mouth to support your own agenda.
I assume you meant shortsighted, and that is a viable coaching strategy, however apparently not the one JB ascribes to. When you are named coach, by all means follow your own strategy.
This type of post is why we deserve to suck.
Only the coach is right type of posts.
Why are you posting on this board if people can’t have opinions?
My god.
It is actually allowed to say Jim Boeheim is not god nor does he always make the right decision.

Nothing you said actually counters anything I said. All you do is attack me which I don’t care if somebody attacks me but actually make a point.
If you are going to say the equivalent of shut up and dribble no I won’t shut up.

You don’t get it...and it’s really not that hard. Peace. -sigh-
I do understand that Boeheim will play the best 7 huge minutes. What you guys don't get is that he is going to change. The bitching about it is old. Real old. Big Sigh.

I do understand that Boeheim will play the best 7 huge minutes. What you guys don't get is that he is going to change. The bitching about it is old. Real old. Big Sigh.
Bless your heart.

You’re bad at evaluating basketball players
Well I've raved about Kadary in every thread about him. Today JB called him one of the best point guards in America, one of the best young guards. How bad is that? I do know Kadary will make more that 3 three point shots this year. Even if he only plays 2 games. LMAO. Evaluate that.

Well I've raved about Kadary in every thread about him. Today JB called him one of the best point guards in America, one of the best young guards. How bad is that? I do know Kadary will make more that 3 three point shots this year. Even if he only plays 2 games. LMAO. Evaluate that.
If he misses a couple first game, hope he gets a bit more room to improve.

How is looking for your sons high school basketball team?
No word from the coaches at all yet. Just looked back at last years emails, and we were a month into open gyms at this point. I literally just sent one of the assistants an email asking for anything they've been hearing.

Thanks for asking though. We all have a sense of impending doom. If they pushed it into the spring, that would be fine for us as well. Just knowing there's a chance will help all of our mental states.

Last edited:
Exactly. The coaches were reportedly upset that BG left, so obviously they saw enough to want him here. It’s not like they said good riddance. But the point is, if you gave the kid the chance to get better, odds are he stays. This isn’t your fathers SU. If a kid constantly rides the bench, AND he sees others doing what he does but still getting PT, chances are he’ll leave.

I'll back up SUbear and ORRange because this is nonsense. Goodine not being good enough as a freshman BUT also having a promising future are not mutually exclusive opinions. Both can be true, and are true, which is why the staff was probably disappointed to see him go. This team was fighting an uphill battle for a tourney spot for much of the season, which was attainable up until the last couple games. To do that, he had to play his best guys.

It's atleast a coherent argument to say that our team wasn't very good so Goodine should have gotten more time to develop. However it's emphatically disingenuous to say that Goodine could do the same things Jg3 and/or Buddy could do last season. I don't think any single person can rationally state Goodine deserved to take minutes from Jg3 or Buddy. That's pure speculation based on nothing but delusion or an agenda (Alsacs, I don't disagree with you that 200 minutes isn't enough time to fully aid to a player's development but it IS enough time to determine if said player can help you win now, in my opinion). You (not you specifically Alsacs) can't throw away 200 minutes of actual numbers because it's the only tangible asset to use as a backing for an argument regarding whether a kid should play or not. To be sure, Goodine didn't pass the eye-test in games either, but for the sake of having a strong argument, that's subjective and shouldn't be used on its own. The fact of the matter is, this team wasn't bad enough to sacrifice winning for development.

As you noted Bombay, "this isn't your father's SU" when really, it'd be more accurate to say this isn't your father's College Basketball. The game is different and kids don't stick around like they used to. If you haven't noticed, college basketball as a whole is seeing a record number of transfers for a variety of reasons. With the impending rule of a one-time transfer on the horizon, the transfer numbers will become even more extreme. Expect to have 1-2 kids transfer each and every year. It's a bummer Goodine left, I'm sure JB and the rest of the staff weren't expecting it and I'm confident Goodine will be a starting guard at Providence in his career. But JB played the guys that gave him the best chance of winning, and that's his job. Not to appease players so they stick around the next year.

One last thing, it's common for programs to tighten their rotation to 7/8 guys. It's rare to see a school play more than that unless you're 2015 Kentucky with 10 all Americans ready to use at your disposable. If Goodine performed better, I'm sure he would have played more, but let's stop this narrative that JB maliciously keeps guys buried on his bench when there's really nothing to point to Goodine warranting more minutes.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom