BTW, The Toronto Mercenaries are down 2-0 in their series. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

BTW, The Toronto Mercenaries are down 2-0 in their series.

Volquez was outstanding last night, almost un-hitable. In a fleeting close up I thought I saw his grip on his remarkable curve, and it looked to me like he was throwing Mike Mussina's knuckle-curve at about the same speed as Mussina's fastball.

At the risk of feeding the troll...

You realize that Toronto traded virtually every pitching prospect they have, right? They gave up far from nothing. Miguel Castro, Daniel Norris, and Matt Boyd will be quality starters for years to come, and they gave up a bunch of depth pitching as well.

Also, stop talking about Toronto like it's some sort of third world backwater. It's the fourth largest city in North America, and is a cosmopolitan, clean, and safe (well, as safe as a big city can be). If Price doesn't re-sign it won't be because he thinks Toronto is the MLB equivalent of Addis Ababa. Players generally like Toronto, but they want to play for a winner , at the Jays have been mediocre for twenty years. And the last poster is right-- all pro athletes are ultimately mercenaries.

I love Jose Bautista. But as a Jays fan, I do get why others wouldn't. I can see why others would see him as being a douche.

Rant over. Back to being a lurker.
Re: Pitching prospects--

In order to get R J Dickey, the Jays traded a young arm named Syndegaard. But, maybe Hulk had never heard of him before two weeks ago.

I just keep reading this thread title and finding it terrific every time. A Yankee fan accusing Toronto - or anyone - of mercenary tactics is just priceless.

I just keep reading this thread title and finding it terrific every time. A Yankee fan accusing Toronto - or anyone - of mercenary tactics is just priceless.

Again. You missed the point I made.

When we give big money contracts or make big trades. Those players we get want to be a Yankee and be in New York.

Nobody wants to play in Toronto for the Blue Jays. That's what makes the mercenaries.

You can be sure David Price and Troy Tulowitzki were not happy with being traded to Toronto. Also I hit on my point with the 29 other MLB teams vs the Yankees. They don't want to negotiate fair.

Anyway. We kept our top prospects and will sign David Price in the off season. We keep our cake, and eat it too.

When we give big money contracts or make big trades. Those players we get want to be a Yankee and be in New York.

Nobody wants to play in Toronto for the Blue Jays. That's what makes the mercenaries.

You can be sure David Price and Troy Tulowitzki were not happy with being traded to Toronto. Also I hit on my point with the 29 other MLB teams vs the Yankees. They don't want to negotiate fair.

Anyway. We kept our top prospects and will sign David Price in the off season. We keep our cake, and eat it too.
Right, because no one could ever possibly want to go to a city and franchise just because you don't like them. I'm sure no one has ever been happy to play for any franchise other than New York.

Good call.

I'm sure no one has ever been happy to play for any franchise other than New York.

New York, LA, San Diego, San Fran, Boston, Chicago, Miami, Texas (Dallas). That's it.

You work for the Yankees? You better work on that track record of bidding against yourself for free agents.

Anyway, high end ballplayers live in really high end exclusive places, go the stadium, then travel to 5 star hotels for away games.

New York, LA, San Diego, San Fran, Boston, Chicago, Miami, Texas (Dallas). That's it.
Hahahahaha.

Oh my god. You're ridiculous if you believe that.

The Cardinals? Nats? Atlanta generally has been competitive for over 20 year in a row. Good grief...

I still believe what I said earlier in this thread. I think you say things to get a reaction. As no real person can believe this.

St. Louis? Detroit? Parity is huge in baseball nowadays.

Honestly who the F wants to play for the Marlins? Baseball isn't the NBA.

You are awesome Hulk.

Cusehulk's troll game is peaking at just the right time. Not unlike Kansas City which, incidentally, also failed to make his cut.

Re: Pitching prospects--

In order to get R J Dickey, the Jays traded a young arm named Syndegaard. But, maybe Hulk had never heard of him before two weeks ago.
D'Arnaud is a pretty good player too

CuseHulk said:

The Yankees aren't going to go after Price. I hope they show a little interest to drive up the price on Price, but there is no way that they are going to go all in on another aging pitcher. That would be foolish. I think they made the right decision in not trading away their future, and if I were the Yankees, I would take it a step further and let a couple of veterans go to get some good arms in the minors. But teams don't give up good arms for the guys that the Yankees have available.

Yeah I'd hate to have to live in Toronto.

c2wnvzy.jpg

next years NYY rotation:

are you sitting Hulkster...

Severino
Tanaka
Pineda
Evoldi
Warren

maybe they somehow can trade warren or pineda in a package for a top line starter.

otherwise, thats your rotation.

cant remember Nova's status, but look for him to be moved in a 4th outfielder or a 2nd baseman/utility deal.

next years NYY rotation:

are you sitting Hulkster...

Severino
Tanaka
Pineda
Evoldi
Warren

maybe they somehow can trade warren or pineda in a package for a top line starter.

otherwise, thats your rotation.

cant remember Nova's status, but look for him to be moved in a 4th outfielder or a 2nd baseman/utility deal.

Nova is Arb eligible.

And where did you hide CC?

This thread makes me smile. :) And not everyone likes Toronto. This is from an Edmonton band called Three Dead Trolls in Baggie (no, not The Arrogant Worms ... )

:cool:

Last edited:
CC pitched well in September. He's a good guy and teammate too.
I agree he is a great guy and teammate, however he has no place in a good rotation. I like Kaiser's take. It would save the Yankees $5M and, I am not sure how it works, but it may free up $25M from the luxury tax, which essentially frees the Yankees up immediately to get some younger guys. I think that the Yankees are going in the right direction, they just need to shed some of the old crappy contracts and concentrate on a core of home grown player, supplemented by a few free agents or smart trades.

I agree he is a great guy and teammate, however he has no place in a good rotation. I like Kaiser's take. It would save the Yankees $5M and, I am not sure how it works, but it may free up $25M from the luxury tax, which essentially frees the Yankees up immediately to get some younger guys. I think that the Yankees are going in the right direction, they just need to shed some of the old crappy contracts and concentrate on a core of home grown player, supplemented by a few free agents or smart trades.
You're assuming they have a good farm system. Many Yankee fans have lost perspective because of the Jeter group. That was a once-in-a-generation bunch. Going into this past season, the Yankees' minor league prospects were rated #18 by Baseball America.