Bubba Voigt | Syracusefan.com

Bubba Voigt

Orangtiz

Starter
I don't think he gets enough credit. Voigt is incredible finishing around the crease much like B Bomberry was. HOWEVER, in my opinion, Voigt is a much better outside shooter and looks for his opportunities outside, that is why he has had a more successful senior campaign than Bomberry ever had in his two years starting. Voigt has 25 goals with at least 5 more games (I think we are trending toward making the tournament). Bomberry scored 27 and 28 goals in his two seasons.

Coming into this season, people were worried if Voigt had what it took to be out there for every play. I think he needs some credit for doing that and then some. Go back and watch the Albany highlights, his shooting display was remarkable.

And while the attack has been criticized this season, at times deservedly so... Voigt has probably been the most consistent. Rehfuss seems to be coming on, after the injuries and illness, but up until recently I think Voigt has been our best attackman. I know it was mentioned in another thread, but his ability to shoot in tight spaces makes him demand a pole, something Brendan Bomberry never did.

Love Voigt but Bomberry was a much bigger all around threat he could dodge and feed a much more complete game. Brendan’s outside shot was lethal as Voigt. Let’s not forget Brendan was a natural midfielder

Dallas needs all the help it can get at 0-6.

I have a spare bedroom :)

That was awesome to see. Glad he and Solomon are playing post college, gonna follow and root for those two good kids

That was awesome to see. Glad he and Solomon are playing post college, gonna follow and root for those two good kids

Did he shave his beard eventhough we did not make the final four?

No idea what happened in the interim but a beard appears to presently worn. Seeing him and Solomon in MLL action is a reminder that we lost and need to replace two good attackman to graduation not just one.

Subject of Hay and Albany reminds that Voigt had six goals vs Albany last year despite Sierkewski good tending in that game. One of Caveman's many strong games, he really was an efficient sniper with 35 goals on just 79 shots

Scanlan is being counted on to replace his production but his unorthodox ways are more reminiscent of Brendan Bomberry than Voigt and he'll likely be operating from left post where Solomon was also productive and efficient.

Leads back to who best complements and fills out the attack group and will the unit be as good or better than last years solid group.

He still has a beard although it has been cut and trimmed since the season ended.

Voigt cant dodge. He can only score. ...4 goals two assists today in MLL.

I get the feeling that we are kind of assuming the Orange will easily replace Voigt next season, and personally I think its going to be harder than most think. He may not have dodged at all but he could really shoot the ball, had great movement and game IQ. That's going to be hard to replace. I'm expecting Scanlan to replace Solomon's productivity (and some of Voigt's), and I think the maturation of the midfielders and Rhefuss being healthy will certainly help replace Voigt's numbers, but he brought something unique to the team that we don't have on the roster right now.

Powell spot on as usual. Voigt was so much better than credited, Voigt , Pettersen, Gaudet are lax versions of Klay Thompson . Scanlan fills Solomon's void but Voigt's sniper skills, presence and production is not going to be replaced by whoever steps into his spot.

Still like to see Dordevic or Curry get look at attack, totally different players than Badman Brad but either would bring a different dimension that make help many

I get the feeling that we are kind of assuming the Orange will easily replace Voigt next season, and personally I think its going to be harder than most think. He may not have dodged at all but he could really shoot the ball, had great movement and game IQ. That's going to be hard to replace. I'm expecting Scanlan to replace Solomon's productivity (and some of Voigt's), and I think the maturation of the midfielders and Rhefuss being healthy will certainly help replace Voigt's numbers, but he brought something unique to the team that we don't have on the roster right now.

The attack will almost definitely be forced to play with a slightly different style next year. Even though Scanlan is highly skilled in off ball/set shooting situations like Voigt was, I highly doubt he will be relegated to strictly finishing as he clearly has some strong dodging ability as well. Unless Donnelly, Owen Hill, or some other unknown, turns out to be an offball god fully prepared for elite D1 competition, we will most likely have an attack line with all 3 guys dodging and making things happen.

Thought about it a little and you need to go back a good ways to find a cuse attack line that functioned similarly. I would say next year's attack could play a lot like the attack of 2016 with Evans, Donahue, and Tim Barber. Donahue (successfully) converted to a more QB style attack after Rice and Staats graduated and Barber and Evans were both attack who liked dodging as well. Overall it seemed to work well and we had a solid offense that year. Then Bomberry came in next year and we once again used a strictly off ball attack.

The tougher thought exercise is to think of another team that does that currently! Not an easy task. Yale has Gaudet as a strictly off ball guy, UVA has Laviano, Penn St has O'Keefe, ND has Willets, Hopkins had Marr, Rutgers has Charalambides, Cornell had Petterson, and the list goes on a good amount. It is certainly a trend in the sport today (often with top level teams) to use a strictly off ball attack, and we have been one of those teams for the past three years. Voigt leaving changes things quite a bit, especially without someone on the roster like him when he backed up Brendan Bomberry.

Bubba ala Gump is a great name to promote and his beard (similar to Harden) has become a trademark that is seen on many a poster or bighead to be signed. Combine that with his flair and exuberant personality and both Dallas and the MLL have a marketable player. to brand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom