Bud and Manchild | Syracusefan.com

Bud and Manchild

20Plus

I'd like to ask people's opinion on this show on a scale of 1 to 10

Mine is a 2.5

I mean they really are a disgrace

In the world of sports talk, I find many other shows to be far more annoying. Calling them a disgrace is a bit harsh (Michael Kay's show would qualify as a disgrace). They are essentially harmless. I'd give them a 5, and bump it up some when SWC75 calls in.

Last edited:
Since Parkins left, I haven't listened to local sports talk shows. But the few times I caught them a couple years ago, I would give them a 3. I remember too much non sports BS.

I've been listening to "Upon Further Review" on the ESPN Radio app the past week or so. It is OK, and I even heard SWC call in breaking down the Chiefs after the home opener, but yesterday afternoon, they had on Wayne Norman, who is the color guy for the UConn men's team. I couldn't believe it. Do you think that ESPN Radio in Hartford would have Jim Satalin on if we had won the championship on Monday night? I highly doubt it.

one of the worst talk shows i have ever had the displeasure of listening to.

spend way too much time with Bud drifting off talking about some pointless topic that nobody cares about

Bud and Manchild Rating 3
UFR -Rating 4 (can not stand the two of them when they just argue and yell at each other)
ML Rating -20 this guy has the worst show on...couldnt listen first time, cant listen this time.

I give it a 1, not a huge fan. I'm like bees I don't listen to local sports radio anymore. Maybe espn if im driving.

Since Parkins left, I haven't listened to local sports talk shows. But the few times I caught them a couple years ago, I would give them a 3. I remember too much non sports BS.

Parkins was great. Listened to the podcast of his show in KC a couple times. It's everything a sports radio show should be. Some degenerate gambling talk, some ribbing of his Mizzou fan co-host & of course analysis of actual games.

I've been listening to "Upon Further Review" on the ESPN Radio app the past week or so. It is OK, and I even heard SWC call in breaking down the Chiefs after the home opener, but yesterday afternoon, they had on Wayne Norman, who is the color guy for the UConn men's team. I couldn't believe it. Do you think that ESPN Radio in Hartford would have Jim Satalin on if we had won the championship on Monday night? I highly doubt it.

Meh, I don't think that's a big deal and ya, I think any b'ball town would do that.
I thought they let him ramble a bit too much. And they asked how he'd compare Napier to Kemba 30sec's after he unsolicitedly compared the two. Like maybe interview like an actual person rather than read off your notepad.

Upon further review. 5
(Some good stuff at time and I listen from time to time)

B&M. 2
(Both guys are pretty corny and I haven't listened in a long time because they usually don't have much substance)

Mike Lindsley. -10
(Nails on a chalkboard!)

Ehhhh, bud and the man child I give about a 4. I actually like Lindsley a lot. Think he is incredibly underrated around these parts.

I agree a like ML though he needs to modify his style on how he delivers a touch

Upon further review is very good

But and the manchild and Jimmer have horrible perspectives, horrible material,horrible preparation, and really are an embarrassment to our community that their on the radio.

it is so bad I'm disgusted

there are many alternatives so I could care less but the fact that they're even allowed the opportunity is what irks me

I agree a like ML though he needs to modify his style on how he delivers a touch

Upon further review is very good

But and the manchild and Jimmer have horrible perspectives, horrible material,horrible preparation, and really are an embarrassment to our community that their on the radio.

it is so bad I'm disgusted

there are many alternatives so I could care less but the fact that they're even allowed the opportunity is what irks me
Be careful what you wish for. The pickings for local sports talk in the Syracuse market are pretty slim and the hours devoted to local shows are declining. As bad as some of these shows are, I'd still rather have them on the air than yet another nationally syndicated show. But, yes, you'd think that the market could attract a higher level of talent than what some of these shows offer.

Bud and the Manchild pretty much sums it up

I discovered upon further review on the espn radio app in feb and listened every day. Living in NYC college hoops get completely ignored until march on local radio so finding a show that talked cuse hoops for 4 hours straight was unbelievable. Like those guys a lot but since the season ended haven't listened much.

I used to be a Poliquin detractor when all I did was read his column. Too verbose and full of obscure cultural references, as if he assumed his and the reader's life experiences must be identical. He didn't seem to take sports seriously enough, (but then, we probably take them too seriously). He just seemed as little full of himself.

But then I started listening to Bud and the Manchild and found I kind of liked the guy- and the show. No, it's not hardcore sports. it's more like a conversation you'd have with friends. They talk about things like movies and music and TV shows. They tell stories. There's a lot of good-natured humor. But it's still mostly a sports show and they can have in depth discussions of sports issues when interesting topics come up. Sometimes I agree with them, sometimes I don't. The presentation is more important.

I liked the Axeman when he was on because also had a friendly, welcoming tone with some good humor. He was like talking to your neighborhood bar-tender. Danny Parkins was good for the brief time he was here. I find Mike Lindsay somewhat prosecutorial. The discussions are lively but he can be dismissive of someone he doesn't agree with and lacks any charm or warmth. The show just isn't entertaining. Upon Further Review is better and I occasionally call in to them but I tend to be be busier in the late afternoon than late morning.

I like listening to local shows over national shows because they talk about local issues or about national issues with a local perspective. Also, it's easy to call in and get on the air. With national shows they don't care about the Crunch or the Chiefs or local high schools and small colleges. They will only occasionally mention SU sports. There's no sense of shared experiences. And you are competing with the entire country to get on the show. The hosts tend to be selected for their "personalities", meaning that they ARE the show. I find most of them obnoxious. Van Pelt and Rusillo is the only one I listen to these days- but I'm usually busy then, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom