Bud Retires! | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Bud Retires!

I think that in the last two years Bud has done the best work of his career.

His pieces on the Scott Shafer/Dungey injury issue and the recent Hopkins/Boeheim situation were first rate sports commentary.

That he gets people upset from time to time is a good thing.

I am disappointed that he is leaving the scene.

Interesting to hear some of his best work has been recent. I refuse to click on his articles, for me, he crossed too many lines and his constant rooting for the football team to fail or stop all together was too much. Best of luck to Bud in his golden years and I hope the can get someone great to replace him.

I could never quite tell what Bud was rooting for ... for instance, FrankDeFord seems to really just cheer for a competitive sporting event, for athletes to be performing for the love of the game, for the sorts of things that make sports a nice pastime. I enjoyed Bud's column sometimes but it seemed more like a nicely worded Everyman perspective. Maybe it's just me but I have that perspective already ... anyway, he was an icon and will be missed as such.

I think that in the last two years Bud has done the best work of his career.

His pieces on the Scott Shafer/Dungey injury issue and the recent Hopkins/Boeheim situation were first rate sports commentary.

That he gets people upset from time to time is a good thing.

I am disappointed that he is leaving the scene.
He got the injury issue completely wrong. Personally, I'm glad the @#$#@ is gone.

Dammit, TODAY of all days I am on my phone and don't have access to my celebratory memes.

:confetti
:line dance
:twerk
:fireworks
:suck it crotch chop

bye-felicia-001-friday-ice-cube-comment-reply-meme.jpg

He got the injury issue completely wrong. Personally, I'm glad the @#$#@ is gone.

I'm talking about the decision to leave Dungey in the game against Louisville two years ago when we were down 38-10 with five minutes or so to go.

I thought that was a bad decision and I thought that Bud made the explanation given sound as perplexing as it was.

I don't agree with everything he says or how he says it, but I think he's hit a few issues very well over the past two years and I think he does what he is supposed to do - stir discussion.

I'm talking about the decision to leave Dungey in the game against Louisville two years ago when we were down 38-10 with five minutes or so to go.

I thought that was a bad decision and I thought that Bud made the explanation given sound as perplexing as it was.

I don't agree with everything he says or how he says it, but I think he's hit a few issues very well over the past two years and I think he does what he is supposed to do - stir discussion.
Personally didn't think it was a bad decision. And, he's only had but one concussion. Central Michigan.

Personally didn't think it was a bad decision. And, he's only had but one concussion. Central Michigan.

I'm very glad to hear that!

With five minutes to go - down by 28 points - at Louisville - after getting his butt kicked most of the day - I thought Eric should have been pulled.

I love Coach Shafer but in that instance I thought he made a mistake.

Beat writers become columnists all the time.
Most beat writers have neither the command of the English language nor the imagination to become a columnist. ;)

A Pucinni aria played softly in the background as the old scribner bid a fond farewell to the fabled shores of old Onondaga. James Fenimore Cooper himself would have shed a tear watching the poet of the playing fields put away his pens for the very last time. A pale orange sunset cast the western vales in a subdued light as our fair Rodolfo sashayed out of Syracuse -a-hoop over his well deserved denoumement. Adieu and bravo to our brave wizard of whiz-bangs.
Well written! :)

stopped reading him ions ago. he reminded me of a poor mans jerry izenberg

Yes but that is not what is probably going to happen.

Actually, I have been told that Bud will not be replaced and that the beat writers will be permitted to comment.

That is a departure from what has been done traditionally of course, but journalism is changing.

Has Bud orphaned the Man Child?

Apparently not.

He will continue on the radio three times per week.

And, don't be surprised if he ends up doing a weekly PS column during football season.

Actually, I have been told that Bud will not be replaced and that the beat writers will be permitted to comment.

That is a departure from what has been done traditionally of course, but journalism is changing.

That's interesting to hear that. Matthew Fairburn covers the Bills for the PS and I noticed last year he seemed to editorialize a bit in some of his writing. which I wasn't really sure if it was his place to do. Granted, he was being critical of Rex so I agreed with him, but the commentary within the reporting definitely stood out to me as different than what I was used to.

I was one of Bud's critics on this board,but I will say this. When My daughter was about 12 and loved soccer she wrote an angry letter to Bud who had written a piece ripping soccer as he often did. He actually took the time to write her back and not just a few words but several lines. I always appreciated that.

totally agree!!!!

I was at a Syracuse-Rutgers game at Rutgers a few years ago - I'm pretty sure it was during the 2012 season when we beat the Knights under Doug Marrone.

My parents were sitting in a box adjacent to the press box area.

I went up at halftime to say hello to my parents and their friends.

While I was walking around, I saw Chris Carlson talking to Jerry Izenberg in the lobby area. I went up to them. I stood there for ten minutes or so waiting for them to finish. It was just the three of us. I wanted to meet Mr. Izenberg and tell him how much I admired his work. I waited and waited and waited. When they were done, the two of them started to walk away without even acknowledging my presence. I quickly stopped Izenberg and said everything I wanted to say - I had watched him for years on TV and had read his stuff and thought he was truly great at what he does.

After I made my little speech, he muttered something, turned and walked away. He really had no interest in what I had said.

So, I was a little disappointed that Jerry Izenberg could not care less about how I view his talent, I still regard him as the best sports writer/commentator I have had a chance to watch and read.

That's interesting to hear that. Matthew Fairburn covers the Bills for the PS and I noticed last year he seemed to editorialize a bit in some of his writing. which I wasn't really sure if it was his place to do. Granted, he was being critical of Rex so I agreed with him, but the commentary within the reporting definitely stood out to me as different than what I was used to.
All newspapers are hurting financially. They are consolidating duties and laying off staff -- even the Pulitzer Prize winners.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom