Buddy had 0 rebounds | Syracusefan.com

Buddy had 0 rebounds

Buddy was really bad last night except for his couple of minute hot streak, which just was not enough to make up for the other 35 minutes or so.

Has HW yet proven he is not the answer ? BG has potential, he needs to be brought along in small doses until he is ready, which may or may not be this season. Also, EH could get some backcourt minutes.

We struggled against a very mediocre opponent, gotta do something different. Even that opponent killed us inside.

Last edited:
Battle caused similar issues, yes I’m serious. Had be boarded or created a little more we probably win another game or two.

Neither of them make up for it defensively like Triche did for years.

What games did he have zero rebounds? I can't find any where he had less than two.

Oops I looked at the wrong stat, but if you're going to argue he was a good rebounder I beg to differ. He had 34 games in his career where he had 1 defensive rebound or less in his career. This is not a new phenomenon. I know this board thinks he's the greatest thing since sliced bread because "midrange Jumper!" and ooooo "ISO Scorer!" And based on this board people are into that.

Team rebounding has been an issue even when we had the elite talent. The only good rebounding I seem to remember is the Rick Jackson and Arinze Onuaku on the court together teams.
We have sucked rebounding. MCW was the best rebounding guard we had. He legitimately helped on the boards and would start the transition himself
Buddy's rebounding doesn't bother me. I just don't think JB cares what fans think but Buddy is playing way too much. 40 minutes against Oakland is just insane. It basically tells us Buddy isn't sitting unless the game is over or he has foul trouble. That is crazy. I don't see Buddy as a way better player than Girard. Girard can play SG if Buddy had to sit a little more.

Team rebounding has been an issue even when we had the elite talent. The only good rebounding I seem to remember is the Rick Jackson and Arinze Onuaku on the court together teams.
We have sucked rebounding. MCW was the best rebounding guard we had. He legitimately helped on the boards and would start the transition himself
Buddy's rebounding doesn't bother me. I just don't think JB cares what fans think but Buddy is playing way too much. 40 minutes against Oakland is just insane. It basically tells us Buddy isn't sitting unless the game is over or he has foul trouble. That is crazy. I don't see Buddy as a way better player than Girard. Girard can play SG if Buddy had to sit a little more.

Yeah we've never rebounded well. It's like groundhog day. We won games in 2012 where we absolutely got blasted on the glass. West Virginia comes to mind where Huggins went insane cause he thought we got away with a goal tend at the end.

Oops I looked at the wrong stat, but if you're going to argue he was a good rebounder I beg to differ. He had 34 games in his career where he had 1 defensive rebound or less in his career. This is not a new phenomenon. I know this board thinks he's the greatest thing since sliced bread because "midrange Jumper!" and ooooo "ISO Scorer!" And based on this board people are into that.

I wasn't arguing anything...other than the stat surprised me.

I just can't wrap my head around the way we utilized someone like BJ Johnson (also on a bad SU team) vs. how we utilize someone like Buddy Boeheim as Sophomores. I don't know. We seem to be overplaying our superstar SG early in his career imo.

I just can't wrap my head around the way we utilized someone like BJ Johnson (also on a bad SU team) vs. how we utilize someone like Buddy Boeheim as Sophomores. I don't know. We seem to be overplaying our superstar SG early in his career imo.
This is a good point. Johnson is a better player than Buddy. I like Buddy but Johnson wasn’t given anywhere close to this rope.
JB is a legend but his roster management skills can be questioned and it is completely fair game.

No personal attacks as the guy is a legend and deserves respect. He is too thin skinned.

The BJ Johnson thing always puzzled me. Does anyone know what BJ's 3 point shooting % was at LaSalle?

Yes, for a 6-5 SG he absolutely needs to rebound. Tons of long rebounds from us shooting threes and opponents. His lack of foot speed, willingness to follow shots and get physical is an issue. He makes Battle look like Rodman.

Cuse!

Just noticed Buddy has a total of 6 rebounds over the last 7 games in 229 minutes. That's pretty poor as he is bigger than all the guys listed below. Maybe he is being directed to get back on defense since foot speed is not a strength.
  • Girard has 15 rebounds over the last 7 games in 211 minutes
  • Washington has 8 rebounds over his last 7 and has played 60 minutes
  • Goodine has 6 rebounds over his last 7 games in 78 minutes
Cuse!

Just noticed Buddy has a total of 6 rebounds over the last 7 games in 229 minutes. That's pretty poor as he is bigger than all the guys listed below. Maybe he is being directed to get back on defense since foot speed is not a strength.
Cuse!

Interesting...I'm curious on which side of the floor teams are attacking and it that is the reason why as Buddy might be the guy jumping at the shooter at a high percentage? Not saying it's the reason it's so low/vacant but would explain some things.

Cuse!

Triche had 53 games where he had one defensive rebound or less his last 3 years here. Waiters played 2 years and he had 37 games where he had one defensive rebound or less.

I think people get bent out of shape about other posters criticizing Buddy, but I don't think anyone serious is calling for him to be benched - just that maybe he doesn't warrant the full 40-mpg treatment. Based on the available stats at CB-ref, Buddy is pretty bad on defense. Like worst or close to the worst since 2009-10 among players who average more than 30 mpg (Tyus and Cooney among them).

He's not rebounding a lot because more often than not, he's the shooter.

Defensive +/- and D-rating say he's not good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom