Buddy injury updates... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Buddy injury updates...

I recognize and agree that he coaches that way. But just as he adjusts the zone, based on what the opponent is doing well offensively, he should recognize that when a shooter has tired legs, he misses more shots.

I have watched Buddy in recent games, and IMO he has hit the wall. He has seemed even slower than usual on defense, and he's not running as hard to get open for shots. I think that fatigue is why he turned his ankle. That's often why these things happen.

Probably why Hughes got hurt too and why his 3 point percentage has cratered. Tired legs always lead to worse shooting and injuries. There's a reason NBA teams now build in rest games for their main guys.

Not taking a shot at any poster in particular but I find it amusing that we got what many asked for: fewer zone-defense athletes, more shooters and predictably, few are happy. Many think a simple change along the lines of a theory they have is the answer and will obviously work.

Obviously, we need better players. Players that are very good at lots of things. We haven't had many of those lately.

Last edited:
Probably why Hughes got hurt too and why his 3 point percentage has cratered. Tired legs always lead to worse shooting and injuries. There's a reason NBA teams now build in rest games for their main guys.

I said this back in November when JB was playing all these guys 40 minutes a game. It catches up with you. There have been a few seasons recently where guys have gone down to injury from too much of a workload.

That's one of several reasons I'm kind of counting down until he leaves. Roster management, excessive player workload, lackluster recruiting, unwillingness to create an effective bench by giving guys some developmental time early in the season.

I said this back in November when JB was playing all these guys 40 minutes a game. It catches up with you. There have been a few seasons recently where guys have gone down to injury from too much of a workload.

That's one of several reasons I'm kind of counting down until he leaves. Roster management, excessive player workload, lackluster recruiting, unwillingness to create an effective bench by giving guys some developmental time early in the season.

I'm not going to go that far. Through all his faults he's still a great coach. I don't think we are that far off from having a good season next year. A lot of Pitt fans got frustrated by Dixon flame outs/lack of offense and now they are 13-59 in the ACC since they basically forced him out. We really need to be 100 percent sure the next coach has it when we hire him.

ankles are tricky. i know i've fought them all my life. once you turn one it takes quite a while for the fibers to properly heal and then just when you think it's good to go you roll it again. man i had to wear high tops BEFORE they were cool. '70's purple suede converse allstars. to this day every couple years i roll one.

I recognize and agree that he coaches that way. But just as he adjusts the zone, based on what the opponent is doing well offensively, he should recognize that when a shooter has tired legs, he misses more shots.

I have watched Buddy in recent games, and IMO he has hit the wall. He has seemed even slower than usual on defense, and he's not running as hard to get open for shots. I think that fatigue is why he turned his ankle. That's often why these things happen.

I agree about the tired legs. I see it in my own students every February as they hit a burn out plateau as they get closer to spring break. Its a mental thing as well as physical.
I think JB hates losing and doesn't want to risk any win just to get a few minutes rest for a starter. Wins this season are hard enough. JB isn't stupid or blind, so its likely that if Goodine had improved in practice he would be playing.

I'm not going to go that far. Through all his faults he's still a great coach. I don't think we are that far off from having a good season next year. A lot of Pitt fans got frustrated by Dixon flame outs/lack of offense and now they are 13-59 in the ACC since they basically forced him out. We really need to be 100 percent sure the next coach has it when we hire him.

That's why we can't just give the job to one of our inexperienced assistants. We are a bigger program than that. We make the THIRD MOST money of any college basketball program. Wildhack has to protect the Golden Goose.

he and jimmy are both hurt. What are the chances? Jimmy was in a boot at Friday’s game against Yale .

That's why we can't just give the job to one of our inexperienced assistants. We are a bigger program than that. We make the THIRD MOST money of any college basketball program. Wildhack has to protect the Golden Goose.

An inside candidate may work. An outside candidate my crater. Pitt hired from the outside. They stink. There's no rhyme or reason to this.

An inside candidate may work. An outside candidate my crater. Pitt hired from the outside. They stink. There's no rhyme or reason to this.

Look at our football program. When you hire assistants and hope they can step up to the head coach's job, most are unprepared. There is all the organization and administration and press responsibilities and politicking within the university, with donors, and then there's overseeing all the recruiting.

Hire someone who has done the job before. Don't have someone try to learn on the job. Dino's hire shows us this. Hire someone who has done the job before.

Look at our football program. When you hire assistants and hope they can step up to the head coach's job, most are unprepared. There is all the organization and administration and press responsibilities and politicking within the university, with donors, and then there's overseeing all the recruiting.

Hire someone who has done the job before. Don't have someone try to learn on the job. Dino's hire shows us this. Hire someone who has done the job before.

All I am saying is hiring from the outside doesn't guarantee anything.

Well, it looks a show-cause is in place for Stallings ... so we can be confident SU will avoid that catastrophe.

Or a new candidate might succeed. Nothing is guaranteed, but the AD can optimize the likelihood of success by doing due diligence and pursuing the top candidates for the job, and not artificially limiting the candidate pool.

Is it coincidence our defense up top was noticeably better last night? Lots of deflections and steals trying to make the post entry that led to run-outs.

did we play our most dominating game without buddy? what does that say?

Or a new candidate might succeed. Nothing is guaranteed, but the AD can optimize the likelihood of success by doing due diligence and pursuing the top candidates for the job, and not artificially limiting the candidate pool.

I don't disagree, but a retread isn't very exciting either.

Is it coincidence our defense up top was noticeably better last night? Lots of deflections and steals trying to make the post entry that led to run-outs.
Of course it wasn’t a coincidence. Pretty obvious to anyone watching goodine is a superior defender, likely due to his better athleticism and lateral foot speed. That’s been well documented. It’s also been well documented that buddy is a superior offensive player from the standpoint of making open shots and going on those 6-9 point bursts.

Last night was the perfect game for goodine to play once we built the lead. Defense was important. The fact he made some nice plays on offense was just added benefit.

It was great to see.

Of course it wasn’t a coincidence. Pretty obvious to anyone watching goodine is a superior defender, likely due to his better athleticism and lateral foot speed. That’s been well documented. It’s also been well documented that buddy is a superior offensive player from the standpoint of making open shots and going on those 6-9 point bursts.

Last night was the perfect game for goodine to play once we built the lead. Defense was important. The fact he made some nice plays on offense was just added benefit.

It was great to see.
We need to mix offense/defense in these late game situations. If we are behind play the offense but if we are ahead mix in the defensive lineups more.

Have faith in JW -- he knows what he's doing, and there is no reason for the university to hire on the cheap. I fully expect them to go big when the time comes.
The size of the scoreboard should tell us whether JW knows what it means to go big. We'll know in a few months.

Why would we hire a retread?

Have faith in JW -- he knows what he's doing, and there is no reason for the university to hire on the cheap. I fully expect them to go big when the time comes.
The money Wildhack has authorized for football tells me he won't go cheap in replacing JB.
Now if we hire a current assistant I wouldn't give them a huge contract and make them earn the bump up.
It's like FA if you hire from the outside you are going to pay market value or you won't get anyone.

College sports in general coaching only matters if you get talent. If you get talent then coaching can waste it but in college sports if you want to win at a high level you need to bring in talent.
The next HC needs to be able to bring in talent. The coaching can improve with experience.
Talent is how you win. In the pro game where all the talent is pretty even then coaching matters more in football. In basketball pro coaching doesn't really matter either its just making sure your players like you and are motivated to play hard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom