Buddy is Top 5 in NCAA in Made Threes | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Buddy is Top 5 in NCAA in Made Threes

Yes, math is math. But your premise is incorrect.
Exactly. I think a better way of looking at it is the number of bad shots taken. Forget the total. Does Buddy jack up a bunch of ill advised shots? Yes, sometimes he is a little trigger happy, or takes a mid range one that is unlikely to fall. However, JG3 is way worse at gunning. Eli will rush shots, or take some awful ones trying to draw the foul.

If you need to hand the ball to someone and say score, there are better options. Other guys on the team can create. If Buddy ends up getting the most attempts, I have zero issues. He's proven enough already

math is math. spin it how you want. again buddy is playing great, i like the kid.
One of the problems with your analysis is that you are focusing only on FG attempts to determine who the #1 option is. A better metric to look at is a player's usage rate, which also takes FT attempts into account - it gives a clearer picture of who the offense is flowing through. Elijah's usage rate is 25.5% (10th highest in the ACC) and Buddy is at 21.3% (35th in the ACC). Landers Nolley leads the ACC with a 33.2% usage rate.

Complaining about Buddy on offense(foul shooting as an exception) is absolutely moronic. If he had any other last name his game wouldn’t be picked over with a fine toothed comb. Using Iowa and Ok St as a bench mark is stupid as that’s when the entire team bottomed out. The goalposts are being moved quite a bit in this thread from the people moaning and groaning. Pretty much all of our teams in the past have shot worse against better teams

Half of our fans thought we would win 11 games this year and we have been top 25 in offense virtually all year. It’s defense that cost us games when we haven’t won in the ACC.

Either some fans are being purposely obtuse or they enjoyed watching our previous leading scorers play even more inefficient ISO ball.

This sentence is just all over the place.

What does Top 25 in offense have to do with various projections of only winning 11 games? It seems like a disjointed argument.

I mean, our awful ISO offensive team made the tourney last year. And faltered mightily because we had to play a "shooter" against a pressure defense, and that shooter could literally do nothing. It happened. Sometimes offensive prowess is a bit more involved than eFG%.

This team may not make the tourney. Our top 25 offense, in what everyone pretty much on planet Earth is calling the worst season for college hoops ever, is still fairly well positioned not to make it. Defense, like it or not, does have some tiny little role in basketball.

This is all the "I like to lose pretty" stuff I think most fans would prefer to just reject altogether as it still involves losing. If we don't make the tourney losing pretty, but make the tourney losing ugly, I'd take losing ugly. I suppose we'll see how it all shakes out at the end, but calling anyone obtuse at the end of this post seems misguided.

Buddy is quite clearly a top 15 offensive player in the ACC, I’m surprised people are debating that

People that would debate that clearly don't understand why Steve Novak was the best offensive player in the NBA for years. **** you, Harden!

One of the problems with your analysis is that you are focusing only on FG attempts to determine who the #1 option is. A better metric to look at is a player's usage rate, which also takes FT attempts into account - it gives a clearer picture of who the offense is flowing through. Elijah's usage rate is 25.5% (10th highest in the ACC) and Buddy is at 21.3% (35th in the ACC). Landers Nolley leads the ACC with a 33.2% usage rate.
Buddy is 35th in usage rate, but 13th in offensive rating with players of 20% or higher

This sentence is just all over the place.

What does Top 25 in offense have to do with various projections of only winning 11 games? It seems like a disjointed argument.

I mean, our awful ISO offensive team made the tourney last year. And faltered mightily because we had to play a "shooter" against a pressure defense, and that shooter could literally do nothing. It happened. Sometimes offensive prowess is a bit more involved than eFG%.

This team may not make the tourney. Our top 25 offense, in what everyone pretty much on planet Earth is calling the worst season for college hoops ever, is still fairly well positioned not to make it. Defense, like it or not, does have some tiny little role in basketball.

This is all the "I like to lose pretty" stuff I think most fans would prefer to just reject altogether as it still involves losing. If we don't make the tourney losing pretty, but make the tourney losing ugly, I'd take losing ugly. I suppose we'll see how it all shakes out at the end, but calling anyone obtuse at the end of this post seems misguided.

What does someone’s game last year have to do with this year? Do you ever make an argument that isn’t about shorts that is less than 4 paragraphs?

Buddy is 35th in usage rate, but 13th in offensive rating with players of 20% or higher
Yes, with Hughes ranking 7th and Girard 17th in that same ORtg metric. It's nice to have 3 guys in the Top 20... now let's tighten up the D and make a tourney run!

What does someone’s game last year have to do with this year? Do you ever make an argument that isn’t about shorts that is less than 4 paragraphs?

Why would I concern myself about how much I write? Did you read it? If so, and it's repeatedly this upsetting, you should be far more worried about yourself than anything else.

Because you keep critiquing previous seasons, and this whole abomination of basketball we played...my point is, as god-awful as it was to watch, you seem wholly ignorant of the results, because, I guess, eFG% causes smiles, and overall offensive Top 25 rankings earns you some sort of trophy at season's end (that maybe that I don't know about)????

Three paragraphs FTW!

Why would I concern myself about how much I write? Did you read it? If so, and it's repeatedly this upsetting, you should be far more worried about yourself than anything else.

Because you keep critiquing previous seasons, and this whole abomination of basketball we played...my point is, as god-awful as it was to watch, you seem wholly ignorant of the results, because, I guess, eFG% causes smiles, and overall offensive Top 25 rankings earns you some sort of trophy at season's end (that maybe that I don't know about)????

Three paragraphs FTW!

No it really isn't that upsetting to me and with ISO ball we had about the same record the last two years. You've moved the goalposts from one end of the field to the other in this thread.

Cooney and Buddy are probably 2 of my favorite players

Buddy has exceeded all expectations. He's a legitimate 20 point threat in conference as a sophomore. I mean, come on. He's got a shot to be All-ACC this season. He's well ahead of schedule. The evolution of his game to include the driving post up has been enormous for rounding out his ability as a scorer. He can get points now even when the 3 is taken away/not falling. That's huge.

If you want to nit pick his game, I think there are 4 things:

1, he shouldn't be playing 40 minutes (that's not on him).

2, he should have more passion for rebounding and 50/50 balls (this may be linked to 1).

3, he does still huck up bad shots now and again.

4, for how smooth his stroke is from 3, his free throws are an adventure, and he's missed some important ones in big moments that hurt.

That's really the list though as I see it. He'll continue to improve because he's still young and has a lot of growth in him. But considering what he is right now and just how far ahead of schedule that is, I mean... Buddy's doing fantastic.

This is all the "I like to lose pretty" stuff I think most fans would prefer to just reject altogether as it still involves losing.

We’ve won 6 of our last 8 (nearly 7 of 8). Had we closed our VT and ND at home, and Clemson on the road, like we should have, we are 10-2 in conference play. The team has shown a lot of improvement since November. It’s a young team that lost 4 starters. I think people are happy to see a good offense and some real improvement and some wins. Making the tournament is a long shot, but not impossible.

No it really isn't that upsetting to me and with ISO ball we had about the same record the last two years. You've moved the goalposts from one end of the field to the other in this thread.

Then quite complaining - it's not good observational humor if if nobody understands the reference except people on the OT board...you're just confusing people needlessly.

I've moved nothing...I don't think you know what goalposts are.

Wut? So Steve Novak was 5th in the NBA in scoring at one point?

I don't know. I suppose if he played in the first game on opening night, and was the fifth person to score in that game - he may have hit that mark. Good trivia question!!!

That's really the list though as I see it. He'll continue to improve because he's still young and has a lot of growth in him. But considering what he is right now and just how far ahead of schedule that is, I mean... Buddy's doing fantastic.

More than fantastic - he's been phenomenal all things considered.

I don't know. I suppose if he played in the first game on opening night, and was the fifth person to score in that game - he may have hit that mark. Good trivia question!!!

I’m over it! You win! Loser wears shorts year round.

More than fantastic - he's been phenomenal all things considered.
Look man, I get that you're training for Gold in the Hyperbole Olympics, but for the rest of us ham and eggers, your aunt isn't exactly parallel parking, you get what I'm saying?

Battle outshot Girard as a Freshman when he was the fourth option. Just like Triche shot 40% as a freshman because he was the fifth option.
Girard is having a far better freshman year than Battle. The kid had been excellent. Literally, not 10 ... games...!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom