Buddy? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Buddy?

Why do some people continue to refer to the school as vpi? Seems odd, especially after they so easily kicked our arse
We also beat them 8 out of the last 10. At least espn said that yesterday.

What's your guess on the next ten?
We will win more than we lose. What's yours? We just got our @ss kicked. No question. But Buzz won't have the advantage of 4 days to prepare for a home game against a team that played on a thursday.

You pick the the place and I'll choose the Boeheim...

PS love the football fans chanting...want them in our crowd. helps, IMO to understand Freud.

Points for being familiar with more than just the usual PF basics.

Did Coach actually say his son is to be benched against VT/pesky teams in general? Apologies if i missed the info.

We will win more than we lose. What's yours? We just got our @ss kicked. No question. But Buzz won't have the advantage of 4 days to prepare for a home game against a team that played on a thursday.
I think Buzz has our number and will continue to build that program with even better players. I'd say he wins 6 out of 10.

JB is 8-5 career against Buzz including winning 5 out of 6 until last night.

I get that, but the season that stuck in my head was the elimination season, which makes me dislike Buzz a bit more than the run of the mill losses might I tend to give them a bit more weight, but am not sure what's causing the such a difference in perspective among you all. After last night, it doesnt seem like Buzz is dropping off the table any time soon though, unfortunately.

I think Buzz has our number and will continue to build that program with even better players. I'd say he wins 6 out of 10.
I like Buzz a lot but my sense is he’s never been and never will be an elite recruiter. He gets a lot out of his talent and will spring the occasional big upset of a Duke or UNC, but the ceiling at VT is limited.

Exactly. Now, I haven't watched VT play much this year, so I do not know statistically whether they are as exceptional on D as they appeared tonight and whether the 103 points they gave up the other day to UNC was an aberration.

I do think this though from watching our team the past few years. When teams put a lot of ball pressure on us we struggle immensely on O and look completely out of sync and discombobulated. Frank struggled all night, just like he does when teams put a lot of pressure on him and hound the ball. His handle was loosy goosy all night, had some bad turnovers, carries, etc. Even times when he didn't lose the ball, his high and shaky handle caused a lot of anxiety. Even worse, is that when this happens to him, he let's it bleed into his mindset, and it then affects his defense. He was responsible for a lot of those open 3's that VT's Robinson drilled.

Frank has his best games when teams don't pressure him. He's a good passer, and along with his size, he can see the floor much better when not being hounded as he doesn't have to be as concerned with his handle. But when he is, what you see tonight is what we we've been getting. I think this offensive struggle tonight likely remains consistent when teams are going to pressure the ball and hound Frank, which I don't know why teams wouldn't.

Battle is not a point guard either, and even though he's capable of playing it at times, he also fares better when teams aren't hounding the ball. This issue at point guard is a serious dilemma for our team and has been. And, is likely to be the case against the better teams/guard we face in conference play as our schedule toughens.
To your first paragraph, UNC ran on them relentlessly all night and their defense looked like crap. Bilas called them out several times during the broadcast for their lousy D. Maybe Buzz changed up his d for our game or they used Bilas' comments as posterboard material, or both. Maybe we should have run a little more like we've been doing lately. Tech got embarrassed by UNC and came out with something to prove against us. These losses happen sometimes. We'll bounce back.

JB is 8-5 career against Buzz including winning 5 out of 6 until last night.

True. But they are also at different points in their careers. His class next year is ranked higher than ours, and I imagine he will continue to get better and better recruits as his team has more success. Only thing that weighs against him is that VT is a tougher school to get into according to what I've read.

True. But they are also at different points in their careers. His class next year is ranked higher than ours, and I imagine he will continue to get better and better recruits as his team has more success. Only thing that weighs against him is that VT is a tougher school to get into according to what I've read.
The UVA folk would beg to differ.

To your first paragraph, UNC ran on them relentlessly all night and their defense looked like crap. Bilas called them out several times during the broadcast for their lousy D. Maybe Buzz changed up his d for our game or they used Bilas' comments as posterboard material, or both. Maybe we should have run a little more like we've been doing lately. Tech got embarrassed by UNC and came out with something to prove against us. These losses happen sometimes. We'll bounce back.

I get the feeling UNC would be perfectly happy playing games 103-92 so long as they win. They
do not strike me as a team that has ever really been concerned with defense, much more focused
on the outscoring side of things.

The PGs on this team are not PGs, they are converted 2Gs who play "with the ball in their hands"
in HS, however, they are not looking to make feeds, they are looking to score. SU has happily
overlooked quality PGs who might be 6'1" and who want to come to Syracuse in favor of the
6'5" guard who they maybe can convert into a PG, but who lacks true PG skills. That's why the
offense suffers when they can't depend on outside shooting and they can't count on inside
scoring, because there's no one who can break down the D via the dribble.

Why Buddy didn't play much, no idea. I don't know if he's quick enough to get his shot off
against a VaTech type of team - or lots of other higher end D1 programs tbh - but if he's
on the court, at least you have to account for him as a shooter. There are others one does
not need to account for on offense. I'm more concerned how a team that knows the
opponent will take (and make) lots of 3s is allowed to do so, and I give no credence
whatsoever to the 48 hr turnaround that JB is complaining about. 1) wouldn't change
the defensive game plan anyways, 2) was on a three game win streak with the O
hitting 40% from deep, so that wouldn't change, 3) you KNOW a buzz williams coached
team is going to be in your face defensively. "it's because of tv", well, duh, that's what you
get when you coach a high profile team. nobody cares how difficult it is to deal with the
tv exposure of being a preseason top 20 team.

kev

This is probably going to make people crazy here, but the only reason I think people think Buzz is a great coach is because his teams play an aesthetically fun brand of basketball and score points.

I think for all the poo-pooing about JB, Buzz really isn't much better if any better at recruiting and if we complain about big men, it's not like Buzz has ever had a great big man. His teams are all guard oriented and never have any big men. I'm kind of surprised how many people think hes so great here as he's 46-51 in the ACC/Big east since 2013.

And just looked at the recruiting classes on 2 4 7. The biggest difference in class ranking(and there isn't they have the 4th best class and we have the 5th) much is we have a guy ranked 400th and their last guy is ranked like 222.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom