Buddy's shooting... | Syracusefan.com

Buddy's shooting...

A Clockwork Orange

2022 Cali Winner (Overall Record)
As well as this team has done over the course of the last six games or so (save GT), Buddy has certainly played a part. In his last five he's shooting 8-16 from three. He had shot 8-36 in the early season portion of the schedule, or 22%.

If he comes on, it just opens up the offense more. I think he's starting to get used to the speed of the game, and that is only going to help this team in the long run

To me it is all about Buddy only taking open shots. Buddy should not be taking threes with a guy in his face. He can't make those yet. But he may have the ability to give us what we have been lacking for years, a guy who can consistently nail the open three, either receiving the ball after Frank or Tyus drives, or receiving a kickout after an offensive board.
I love the fact that he is not afraid. He wants to be out there. He wants to shoot. He is engaged on the bench. His size is perfect for what he does. Right now he is a mediocre defensive player but as he gets older he should get more experienced and stronger and hopefully quicker. Effort will never be an issue.
Also in the exhibition games he showed some ability to shoot off the bounce. Hopefully in the coming years he will be stronger and more athletic so he can do that when the games count. He can't right now.
Last he has handled the name thing well. His teammates seem to like and respect him. I'm glad we have him and think he will be a terrific part of our program and may be a factor this year as the season progresses.

You’re missing the point here. A small, vocal handful of people want him to shoot bad so they can complain about him playing. If he shoots well they need to switch to bitching about his defense, or that he's a chucker, or that JB only plays him so he can get some from Juli. ;)

FIFY. ;)

You’re missing the point here. People want him to shoot bad so they can complain about him playing. If he shoots well they need to tell lies why he is playing.

Do you honestly believe that there are people that care enough about the team that they take their time to come on this board, that actually want him to shoot bad? I don't actually believe that is a thing, when he lets fly, no one on here is hoping that he misses.

Some people are just complainers or unnecessarily negative, others see a 1 dimensional player who in comparison to others in recent history probably wouldn't be getting minutes if they were shooting 29% from the field and have some questions. Hopefully those questions will go away if he keeps up his recent play. Regardless, no one wants him to shoot bad.

Do you honestly believe that there are people that care enough about the team that they take their time to come on this board, that actually want him to shoot bad? I don't actually believe that is a thing, when he lets fly, no one on here is hoping that he misses.

Some people are just complainers or unnecessarily negative, others see a 1 dimensional player who in comparison to others in recent history probably wouldn't be getting minutes if they were shooting 29% from the field and have some questions. Hopefully those questions will go away if he keeps up his recent play. Regardless, no one wants him to shoot bad.

Yes I Do. You can disagree. That’s fine.

To me it is all about Buddy only taking open shots. Buddy should not be taking threes with a guy in his face. He can't make those yet. But he may have the ability to give us what we have been lacking for years, a guy who can consistently nail the open three, either receiving the ball after Frank or Tyus drives, or receiving a kickout after an offensive board.
I love the fact that he is not afraid. He wants to be out there. He wants to shoot. He is engaged on the bench. His size is perfect for what he does. Right now he is a mediocre defensive player but as he gets older he should get more experienced and stronger and hopefully quicker. Effort will never be an issue.
Also in the exhibition games he showed some ability to shoot off the bounce. Hopefully in the coming years he will be stronger and more athletic so he can do that when the games count. He can't right now.
Last he has handled the name thing well. His teammates seem to like and respect him. I'm glad we have him and think he will be a terrific part of our program and may be a factor this year as the season progresses.
Actually I think he has to take some guarded 3's. Like with his open 3's when he hits a couple, then more will fall. He CAN'T take a lot of them but a few is fine especially when he gets a rhythm going in a game. At his height against many opposing guards even a guarded 3 won't exactly be in his face.

Buddy is a freshman playing in the ACC under his dads shadow. He is doing good and getting better each game. Give the kid a break.
Who is getting on him?

It's good to see his shot is coming around, and people like to compare his trajectory to Rautins... but I just don't see the same cold-blooded moxy. Even as a frosh, Andy had a swagger in his very limited playing time. And he had pretty good reflexes and instincts in the passing lanes that made up for his otherwise average athleticism. I think we need to stop comparing these 2 kids just because they are "white shooters" who needed time to develop. One thing I do know, is that buddy needs to do some serious training to maximize whatever god-given athleticism he has.

It's good to see his shot is coming around, and people like to compare his trajectory to Rautins... but I just don't see the same cold-blooded moxy. Even as a frosh, Andy had a swagger in his very limited playing time. And he had pretty good reflexes and instincts in the passing lanes that made up for his otherwise average athleticism. I think we need to stop comparing these 2 kids just because they are "white shooters" who needed time to develop. One thing I do know, is that buddy needs to do some serious training to maximize whatever god-given athleticism he has.

Revisionist history. People didn't want Rautins on the team either and they were wrong.

We are 34 points better per 100 possessions with Buddy on the court in conference play. That is a FACT.

Who is getting on him?
Some folks think he is only playing because he’s related. Comments about him playing and not Jalen who had turnovers at Duke. That buddy is too slow etc. he’s very young but we need knockdown shooters

Buddy's a weird case.

For a long time people said Boeheim should maybe take some lumps on the record early in the season to build depth.

Best case scenario is that is exactly what has happened this season.

But it does feel a little weird that the seemingly primary beneficiary of playing time for that approach is the coach's kid.

If the dude's hitting shots, he has value.

When he's not, the rest of his minutes have been pretty rough.

He's gotta keep it going.

The dome crowd, for the three games ive attended so far this year, has been ruthless and borderline inappropriate in their criticism of Buddy’s playing time. Its nuts. Then they forget and cheer when he hits a shot.

Revisionist history. People didn't want Rautins on the team either and they were wrong.

We are 34 points better per 100 possessions with Buddy on the court in conference play. That is a FACT.

What a gem considering he has only played above 6 mins in 2 conference games. He's also shooting 50% from the FT line and that is a FACT!

Buddy has struggled with his shot on the whole and is still shooting a better 3 point percentage than our returning “big 3” from last year.

Perhaps Buddy has gotten more run than anticipated because our “big 3” has been throwing Thor hammers at the rim from 3 all season?

Buddy very well may be rounding into form as a legitimately good 3 point shooter. We’ll see. It’s going to happen at some point, no question.

What a gem considering he has only played above 6 mins in 2 conference games. He's also shooting 50% from the FT line and that is a FACT!

I’m glad I’ve triggered you because that’s what I’m going for here.

You’re missing the point here. People want him to shoot bad so they can complain about him playing. If he shoots well they need to tell lies why he is playing.

These posts are so stupid as they just rile up the other side needlessly (as they clearly did to you a week or two ago, lol) - I'm going to raise the level of discussion through the roof by ensuring every nut with the opposite view can post something similar when he goes 3 for his next 16! I just won the internet!

JB should play the young kids more - I'm happy to see him play any of the young kids more - I'm sure it will ebb and flow throughout the season between he and Carey and it should. It's good their both getting experience and it bodes well for later in the season, and next year.

I’m glad I’ve triggered you because that’s what I’m going for here.

Triggered is something for 12 year olds playing Fortnite, not adults. You posted a stat that was completely ridiculous and I responded with something as ridiculous.

These posts are so stupid as they just rile up the other side needlessly (as they clearly did to you a week or two ago, lol) - I'm going to raise the level of discussion through the roof by ensuring every nut with the opposite view can post something similar when he goes 3 for his next 16! I just won the internet!

JB should play the young kids more - I'm happy to see him play any of the young kids more - I'm sure it will ebb and flow throughout the season between he and Carey and it should. It's good their both getting experience and it bodes well for later in the season, and next year.

I'm posting garbage positive statistics because all I read on the board the past week after 2 straight wins is the following GARBAGE:

1. Conspiracy theories about Hopkins leaving.
2. JB getting lucky going to the FF 5 times.
3. Syracuse getting lucky that Duke missed shots
4. Syracuse getting lucky that Reddish(WHO STINKS) missed the game.
5. Questions about Buddy playing over Carey after Carey turned the ball over 6 times and Buddy hit like 8 of his last 16 3's.
6. Garbage about playing the bench more, but not wanting the coach's son on the bench to play.

His value, right now, lies entirely in his ability to knock a couple of threes down. If he does that, it can help. Otherwise, there is very little production coming from him. He's only a freshman. Plenty of chances to improve throughout his career and he will. Needs to get quicker laterally. Gives up penetration quite often. Not a guy to use in the press. But I really like the release on his shot and he is going to be a really solid shooter for us. Quick trigger. He's got solid size which helps some of the struggles defensively that I have seen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom