Buddy's shooting... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Buddy's shooting...

I think some people may need to revisit the "Battle hasn't improved" (used often in the JB doesn't develop players criticism). TB now is showing mad point guard skills (to go along with last weeks Naismith Player of the week award). Showing these new skills may not give him all ACC props but will be recognized by the NBA.

The lineup with TB at point and Buddy at the 2 is good and improving. TB is showing the improvement in pg skills and Buddy has rapidly improved in-season. Buddy is shedding the deer-in-the-headlights look, looking like he belongs out there. Because this lineup, while already good, is in improvement mode, I don't think we see much of JC the rest of the way. Kind of unfortunate, but I can see JB wanting to maximize the chemistry of the TB/Buddy pairing. We are pretty much half way through the season, time to fine tune the playoff lineups.

I'm really not trying to take away from Tyus here, but you realize the team we played last night didn't pressure the ball at all right? I could have played point for stretches last night. Miami has 7 scholly players and Larranga made a tactical decision to have them sit back in the zone. When TB has to play point with a squad like Buffalo and handles full court pressure defense, then we can shower him with the "mad point guard skills" award.

With Tyus at point bringing it up, he didn’t call out one play. It’s more free lance. He had a lot of assists, and there were a couple of good looks, but most were because of giving guys like Frank early, then Buddy a pass that they hit the 3. Now having said that, Battle at PG does draw some defensive attention, so that’s a positive for everyone else. Buddy shot great, especially in the 1st half, but when we took the halftime lead up to 18-20, it was Howard, Battle, Hughes, Dolezaj, and Chewy on the court. Which I feel is our best lineup, especially offensively.
I think you're being pretty hard on TB out of your documented loyalty to Frank. TB had 9 assists. And you think Battle draws "some" defensive attention? While I have to agree with you there, I may have stated it differently.

How about this Bees, who do you think should be the backup Point Guard? And who do you think should be the 3rd guard? Because IMO, I think the competition just closed. TB moves over and Buddy comes in for the rest of the season.

I'm really not trying to take away from Tyus here, but you realize the team we played last night didn't pressure the ball at all right? I could have played point for stretches last night. Miami has 7 scholly players and Larranga made a tactical decision to have them sit back in the zone. When TB has to play point with a squad like Buffalo and handles full court pressure defense, then we can shower him with the "mad point guard skills" award.
TB did have 9 assists. You could do that (is that you Bjorn)?

You make it sound like Larranga couldn't possibly have changed his tactics. If he thought Battle would have turned it over probably would have put Lykes all over him. He didn't and I don't blame Lannanga because, to me, Battles handle looks tight. You think Larranga would have let you walk the ball up?

I think you're being pretty hard on TB out of your documented loyalty to Frank. TB had 9 assists. And you think Battle draws "some" defensive attention? While I have to agree with you there, I may have stated it differently.

How about this Bees, who do you think should be the backup Point Guard? And who do you think should be the 3rd guard? Because IMO, I think the competition just closed. TB moves over and Buddy comes in for the rest of the season.

Hard on TB? Um, no. I’d say the same thing about anybody playing PG. when the shots fall, the assists go up. And last night we were raining open 3’s.

Who should be the back up PG? Depends on what we see defensively. I would love it to be Carey, but right now JB sees Battle sliding over as better. If Buddy stays hot, you’ll see him being the backup for Frank, Tyus and Hughes because JB will play Battle at the 1, 2 or 3.

TB did have 9 assists. You could do that (is that you Bjorn)?

You make it sound like Larranga couldn't possibly have changed his tactics. If he thought Battle would have turned it over probably would have put Lykes all over him. He didn't and I don't blame Lannanga because, to me, Battles handle looks tight. You think Larranga would have let you walk the ball up?

Yes and Yes. And I would have crushed Bjorn.

7 scholarship players. He's not risking putting his best player in foul trouble to try and pester Tyus.

I realize Tyus had a bunch of great assists in the first half, I don't recall those coming from his primary ball handling role. One was a great pass on fast break which wasn't a PG role. Just saying.

Bees sat courtside last night. Maybe you should take his observations for what they are.

I personally like to see us switch at times to Frank and Buddy up top with Tyus sliding back to the 3 when we are up against smaller squads. Can't ever have too many shooters on the floor, regardless of who is dribbling the ball over the half line.

Bees sat courtside last night. Maybe you should take his observations for what they are.

I personally like to see us switch at times to Frank and Buddy up top with Tyus sliding back to the 3 when we are up against smaller squads. Can't ever have too many shooters on the floor, regardless of who is dribbling the ball over the half line.
I think the idea that because Bees sat courtside his opinion should outrank mine, is absurd. First, Bees is biased on any perceived slight to Frank, touchy even.

I guess I'll be the first to say it, Battle is clearly the backup point guard now and for the rest of the season. JC's skill set is not as complementary to TB's as is Buddys. TB and Buddy are improving rapidly and seem to have an understanding of their roles together. Therefore, JC may not see much time from here out as JB will feel the need to give the TB/Buddy lineup time.

I think the idea that because Bees sat courtside his opinion should outrank mine, is absurd. First, Bees is biased on any perceived slight to Frank, touchy even.

I guess I'll be the first to say it, Battle is clearly the backup point guard now and for the rest of the season. JC's skill set is not as complementary to TB's as is Buddys. TB and Buddy are improving rapidly and seem to have an understanding of their roles together. Therefore, JC may not see much time from here out as JB will feel the need to give the TB/Buddy lineup time.

Well someone is certainly touchy.

Oshae needs to concentrate on being a 4 year player at SU and to work on his weaknesses. If he does that he might be able to hangout in the league for 3-5 years and then finish overseas.

“Yep...If Buddy was playing like 10+ mins, I'd be complaining as well, but it's 2 mins vs Old Dominion. We might need his shooting later in the season in a game where everyone is throwing up bricks. I'd rather try to keep his confidence up. I felt that way about other bench shooters we've had in the past. I don't know why this is an issue (other than the obvious)” - my post on Dec 15.

If he’s shooting well, he stays in the game. If not pull him.

Oshae needs to concentrate on being a 4 year player at SU and to work on his weaknesses. If he does that he might be able to hangout in the league for 3-5 years and then finish overseas.
My concern is I don't think "getting stronger" is going to cure what ails him. He looks plenty strong enough. His lack of finishing is more of a motor memory, mental thing. Not something the weight room can fix. I think he can become a more consistent shooter, esp at the foul line if he wants to be useful vs zones.

Best lineup right now taking into account both sides of the ball is Howard, Battle, Hughes, Dolezaj and Chukwu.

Against zone, put Buddy in for Howard and let Battle run the point. Doesn't matter who initiates the offense or even if there are set plays. It's all about ball movement and spacing, and getting someone the ball in the middle. Dolezaj has been doing a great job facilitating out of that area and also becoming a threat from the perimeter.

Against man, just give the ball to Battle and let him use a high ball screen. Honestly, whatever sets we run have been average at best anyway in my opinion. Our offense has struggled against man-to-man teams with Howard running the point. He waits and waits and waits for an open person and makes very risky passes a ton.

Howard has gotten better at being more aggressive, but I'd still rather the offense run through Battle at all times. He had 9 assists last night for crying out loud. Against 0 turnovers. He is fine at the point and it could help Frank to play off the ball, without the other team's best on-ball defender (who is likely small and would be prone to giving him fits) guarding him the full length of the court.

Best lineup right now taking into account both sides of the ball is Howard, Battle, Hughes, Dolezaj and Chukwu.

In my mind, that's the best defensive lineup. I don't know if PC's defense on his best night is better than OBs offense on his best night. Or even if the mean for both tilts in PCs favor. It's an interesting question for sure.

Kris Joseph

There is no bias when I’m simply using stats, replays and play by play to counter some of the incorrect (sometimes intentional) statements.

It’s going to be Buddy vs zones and Jalen vs m2m. Right now teams are zoning us daring us to beat them. Miami’s zone had a 5’2” guy up top of a 1-3-1. We played over the top and got good looks.

When teams go m2m vs us, JB will bring the high screen game back and the assist #s will fall off the table and people will complain we don’t run an offense.

Ball movement vs zone and dribble drive vs man...it’s how JB will attack defenses with our current personnel. I think we can have success both ways.

It’s going to be Buddy vs zones and Jalen vs m2m. Right now teams are zoning us daring us to beat them. Miami’s zone had a 5’2” guy up top of a 1-3-1. We played over the top and got good looks.

When teams go m2m vs us, JB will bring the high screen game back and the assist #s will fall off the table and people will complain we don’t run an offense.

Ball movement vs zone and dribble drive vs man...it’s how JB will stack defenses with our current personnel. I think we can have success both ways.

Lykes gets shorter every time someone talks about him. He'll be 4'6" before the next game at this pace.

Ball movement vs zone and dribble drive vs man...it’s how JB will attack defenses with our current personnel. I think we can have success both ways.

You saw that last night. Our first possession when they left the zone and went man was Battle taking his guy off the bounce for the And-1.

it's almost like he knows what he's doing, crazy as that sounds

You saw that last night. Our first possession when they left the zone and went man was Battle taking his guy off the bounce for the And-1.

Yup. Chukwu nearly messed that one up by tripping Battle's defender.

Check around 1:05 in this video.

Yup. Chukwu nearly messed that one up by tripping Battle's defender.

Check around 1:05 in this video.

i'll give you one thing: there is nothing passive about your ahab-like quest to find every single tiny flub that paschal makes

Quite honestly, I don't think Jalen plays much the rest of the season. I'd be very surprised if he did. Could be completely off but I think he trusts Buddy to make the right decision more.

The Buddy vs zones and Jalen vs m2m piece is possible, but yet to be seen. Since Duke it's been Buddy as the 3rd guard. And its looked good. And when I say 3rd guard, I really mean mostly splitting time w Frank, because Battle is going beast mode and won't be taken out much.

We're pretty much half way through the season. Time to firm up the lineup. From my angle the TB/Buddy lineup is far superior to any Jalen related lineup. If I were JB, the Jalen experience is over until next year (outside of mop up). The m2m vs zone difference may be the Buddy vs Frank difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom