Buffalo Bills 2017 Why do I put myself through this season thread | Page 106 | Syracusefan.com

Buffalo Bills 2017 Why do I put myself through this season thread

Any opinions on him?
He is solid.
He got pissed years ago when Josh McDaniels rose above him for OC but he is smart and a Belichick disciple.
You guys got a good coach. Belichick sent him to Saban for a payday.

He is tough on the players which is good.

Amazingly enough, he was a two year starter at safety for the Yellowjackets.

daboll.jpg

alabama has a god awful offensive scheme, but that because Saban makes it so?

Hard to judge this hire, but on paper I like his pedigree and the fact that he has game calling experience. Strangely, I think the fact that he is coming directly from college to be an asset if the Bills draft a QB. Recent experience teaching schemes to 18 year old players will probably translate well when coupled with his years under Belichick.

I also think this removes any doubt I had that they are, in fact, getting a QB one way or another. My guess is via draft...with a journeyman via free agency. Personally I would look at Bridgewater as I don’t think we have seen his true upside yet...and with yesterday’s miracle I think he might be the odd man out in Minnesota.

It didn't look awful when they replaced Hurts with Tua.
i think it looked better because the kid made 4-5 scramble plays that led to drives staying alive. play design and flow was still bad.

All I know about him is that he was going to be an NFL OC one way or another. By most reports, if we didn't hire him, he was either going to NE to replace Josh McDaniels or following Matt Patricia. That's good enough recommendation for me.

Not that it means a whole lot but I also like that he's a WNY guy with non-coaching roots there.

All I know about him is that he was going to be an NFL OC one way or another. By most reports, if we didn't hire him, he was either going to NE to replace Josh McDaniels or following Matt Patricia. That's good enough recommendation for me.
Daboll wasn’t going to replace McDaniels.
The next Patriots OC is WR coach Chad O’Shea that was part of the reason Belichick sent Daboll to Alabama to get a payday. He made
Double what he was making from NE in Alabama.

Daboll wasn’t going to replace McDaniels.
The next Patriots OC is WR coach Chad O’Shea that was part of the reason Belichick sent Daboll to Alabama to get a payday. He made
Double what he was making from NE in Alabama.
Then where is all that conjecture coming from? I've read it from about 10 different beat writers. Maybe they meant "in the running to replace.."?

Then where is all that conjecture coming from? I've read it from about 10 different beat writers. Maybe they meant "in the running to replace.."?

In the very least, Daboll seemed to widely be considered the favorite to replace McDaniels before he left for Alabama. It's possible that Belichick would have just promoted from within with the WR coach instead after Daboll left.

At any rate, you're getting an OC that was well-liked by arguably the two best football coaches of all-time; in the very least in the modern era.

His results as an OC in the NFL have been horrific, but the teams he was coaching had basically zero offensive talent, and his offense at Alabama was somewhere around the top 15 in the country this year.

Looks like he will enjoy some buffalo wings and Labatt Blue

Looks like he already has...I am pretty middle of the road with this hire, I do know that Dennison should have been fired and sounds like they will lose the zone blocking scheme for the most part. He could be as good as any of the other candidates or he could be horrible, have to see if he's improved from his prior stops at OC, although he's never had a decent QB when he was an OC.

I don't know of any of the candidates that were mentioned that really would have been much different from a WOW factor, Chud, McCoy more of the NFL retread type hires. Just have to wait and see. Are there really any great Coordinators in the NFL that stay coordinators?? If they are really good they become HC and return to coordinators when they flame out. I probably would have preferred Chud or McCoy as I am not BIG on people talking about pedigree and who they worked for...

Last edited:
In the very least, Daboll seemed to widely be considered the favorite to replace McDaniels before he left for Alabama. It's possible that Belichick would have just promoted from within with the WR coach instead after Daboll left.

At any rate, you're getting an OC that was well-liked by arguably the two best football coaches of all-time; in the very least in the modern era.

His results as an OC in the NFL have been horrific, but the teams he was coaching had basically zero offensive talent, and his offense at Alabama was somewhere around the top 15 in the country this year.
O’Shea was ahead of Daboll when Daboll came back.
Daboll left NE when Mangini became NYJ HC. Daboll had to make peace with BB when he came back to be TE coach.
Daboll is solid but he wasn’t going to be NE OC.
He had Chad Pennington and Brett Favre as NYJ OC.

He is a good hire for Buffalo but he wasn’t coming back to NE as OC Bill Belichick recommended him to Saban.

O’Shea was ahead of Daboll when Daboll came back.
Daboll left NE when Mangini became NYJ HC. Daboll had to make peace with BB when he came back to be TE coach.
Daboll is solid but he wasn’t going to be NE OC.
He had Chad Pennington and Brett Favre as NYJ OC.

He is a good hire for Buffalo but he wasn’t coming back to NE as OC Bill Belichick recommended him to Saban.

Daboll wasn't the OC in New York.

Daboll wasn't the OC in New York.
He was the QB coach but he was Mangini’s guy. They left NE together and there was backlash from Belichick how both left.
Belichick hates the NYJ organization.

He was the QB coach but he was Mangini’s guy. They left NE together and there was backlash from Belichick how both left.
Belichick hates the NYJ organization.

I understand that, but his time as a QB coach doesn't factor into his poor results as an OC in the NFL.

Tay Jones recovering from labrum surgery. Issue (allegedly) identified through an end of season MRI.

Tay Jones recovering from labrum surgery. Issue (allegedly) identified through an end of season MRI.
Could be why he struggled so much when he was a freak at route running and catch radius in college.

He flashed in the Jets game before getting hurt but that's really about it.

Would be nice to have him step up and pencil in KB one one side, Zay in the slot and go out and get a speed guy for WR2. I like Deonte Thompson as depth but want someone more dynamic opposite KB.

Could be why he struggled so much when he was a freak at route running and catch radius in college.

He flashed in the Jets game before getting hurt but that's really about it.

Would be nice to have him step up and pencil in KB one one side, Zay in the slot and go out and get a speed guy for WR2. I like Deonte Thompson as depth but want someone more dynamic opposite KB.

I think it's probably more to do with how he was used in Buffalo. In college, he was pretty much exclusively used underneath; screens, quick slants, drags, etc. and then would just take whatever yardage defenses gave him and go down. They basically used Zay as an extension of the running game in college so his average route was somewhere between 0-5 yards downfield.

Under Dennison, his average route was roughly 14 yards down field.

Zay has also always struggled against man coverage and I think man coverage tends to be more prevalent in the NFL than it would have been among ECU opponents.

I 100% agree with the idea of getting a deep threat/someone that can win on the perimeter and just move Zay into the slot. Unfortunately, I'm afraid this was likely a poor draft choice, but he could still easily turn into an Adam Humphries style player, which is disappointing in a 2nd round pick/relatively easy to find off the street, but is still a part of the offense that you need to have in today's league.

Edit: And I should add that the athletic numbers Zay put up at the Combine suggest that there's potential there for him to be far more dynamic than a guy like Humphries...he just unfortunately didn't show much of it in college or in the NFL this past season, but perhaps with some more work and coaching in the offseason, he'll unlock some abilities that weren't there in years past.

Last edited:
Ben Solak from NDT Scouting/the Eagles SBNation site put together an extremely impressive breakdown of the QBs playing in the Senior Bowl (Baker Mayfield, Josh Allen, Mason Rudolph, Luke Falk, Kyle Lauletta, Mike White, and Brandon Silvers). I posted the link on BuffaloRumblings along with a small summary chart that I put together to easily see who looks to be accurate and who is not based on a bunch of different scenarios.

Tremendous Breakdown of Senior Bowl QBs (which is very high-profile this year)