Buffalo Bills 2017 Why do I put myself through this season thread | Page 105 | Syracusefan.com

Buffalo Bills 2017 Why do I put myself through this season thread

I would want a little more evidence that Bridgewater is completely healthy before spending too much on him and relying on him to be the starter if I was running a team.

How good is a healthy Bridgewater?? Not sure I guess, curious what people think. If keenum takes Vikings to Super bowl, I cant see them letting him go. I thought I saw a rumor where that if Shurmur the Vikes OC gets a HC gig then keenum is likely to follow, I could see that in Arizona or something. Keenum has been pretty GD good this year

Last edited:
Have to think dennison will know his fate over the next few days... Too many guys out there that McDermott has some ties too looking for work. Chuzinski, Shula, Dorsey, McCoy

No way they keep Tyrod and put him in yet another new system...right? At least that's my hopeful assumption on this.

Good riddance. Dennison made me long for the days of Greg Roman's questionable play calls.

To your question, I can't imagine that they'll keep Tyrod- this roster is trending towards a full reboot. Great thing is with draft capital they have options. I wouldn't trade the farm to go up unless you are utterly convinced of a player's greatness...in fact I wouldn't be surprised if they trade back a few times to build up additional ammo for next year. Going to be interesting.

I don't have a strong view of good OC candidates...any leaders in the clubhouse?

No way they keep Tyrod and put him in yet another new system...right? At least that's my hopeful assumption on this.

Agree - I think the only reason they kept Tyrod this long was they thought he would fit in Dennison's system.

Good riddance. Dennison made me long for the days of Greg Roman's questionable play calls.

To your question, I can't imagine that they'll keep Tyrod- this roster is trending towards a full reboot. Great thing is with draft capital they have options. I wouldn't trade the farm to go up unless you are utterly convinced of a player's greatness...in fact I wouldn't be surprised if they trade back a few times to build up additional ammo for next year. Going to be interesting.

I don't have a strong view of good OC candidates...any leaders in the clubhouse?
McCoy OC/Tice OL seems like a popular tandem amongst some insiders on the Bills Board.

Also have heard Chudzinski or Bevell as backup plans.

I wouldn't completely write it off yet.

1. Price-wise, you're probably going to end up spending more money on a worse QB next year if you cut Tyrod.
2. Depends on the OC; for example, Bevell is experienced with running QBs. Shula/Dorsey are as well.
3. Might depend on the QB they have in mind for the draft. If they target Lamar for example, Tyrod makes sense to keep around as a mentor.

I'd guess we end up cutting Tyrod and sign a cheap veteran like a Derek Anderson or something to be a starter at the beginning of the season. I just hope we don't trade draft picks for a stopgap QB.

ssbriefcase - any thoughts on this guy as OC?
Mike McCoy (American football coach) - Wikipedia
Honestly, I was more than happy when he was announced as our OC again, this past season. The guy has proven himself one of the most dynamic OC's, with all the different types of qb's he's had. He made the most out of Tim freakin Tebow! I don't think any other OC would've been able to adapt to get mileage out of Tebow, and change the O and form it around the player like McCoy did.

All that said, he was fired in November from the Broncos. This time going through 3 qb's twice over, was too much. The qb situation in Denver was as bad as there was in the league this year. I think most of that lead to, there had to be a fall guy.

Having Musgrave another former OC for the Raiders the previous season, as Denver's qb coach, we had a ready made "extra OC" on the sideline. I would think most organizations wouldn't count this last stint with the Broncos a bad mark on him, I know I wouldn't.

This was Rick Dennisons Wiki page today..

Rick Dennison (born June 22, 1958) is an American football coach and former player. He was most recently the offensive coordinatorof the Buffalo Bills. He was fired after passing from first and goal from the 1 1/2 yard line.
There's a ring...or 2...on cult leader Charlie Mansons, I mean quarterback tom bradys finger...because coaches are stupid...

Interesting mock put out by Billswire. I wouldn't hate it... Would need a vet QB while they develop Rudolph so I would hope a Draft like this would include a move for one of the Non-Kirk Cousins FA QBs.

1) Mason Rudolph (QB)
1) Maurice Hurst (DT)
2) Anthony Miller (WR)
2) Tegray Scales (LB)
3) Bryce Love (RB)
4) Charvarius Ward (DB)

2018 NFL mock draft: Bills add QB Mason Rudolph, stud running back

Interesting mock put out by Billswire. I wouldn't hate it... Would need a vet QB while they develop Rudolph so I would hope a Draft like this would include a move for one of the Non-Kirk Cousins FA QBs.

1) Mason Rudolph (QB)
1) Maurice Hurst (DT)
2) Anthony Miller (WR)
2) Tegray Scales (LB)
3) Bryce Love (RB)
4) Charvarius Ward (DB)

2018 NFL mock draft: Bills add QB Mason Rudolph, stud running back

I simply don't think Rudolph is a 1st round prospect. I'd be very upset if we went into the season pinning our hopes on him to be the long-term solution. I'd be fine taking him in the 4th or 5th round if Buffalo thinks they already have their future QB on the roster, but that clearly isn't the case.

Hurst, Miller, and Love; I'm fine with all those guys. But IMO, if we can't get one of the top 5 QBs, we shouldn't bother taking a QB until Day 3.

I simply don't think Rudolph is a 1st round prospect. I'd be very upset if we went into the season pinning our hopes on him to be the long-term solution. I'd be fine taking him in the 4th or 5th round if Buffalo thinks they already have their future QB on the roster, but that clearly isn't the case.

Hurst, Miller, and Love; I'm fine with all those guys. But IMO, if we can't get one of the top 5 QBs, we shouldn't bother taking a QB until Day 3.
I agree.

I just don't think we're in position to take a top QB in this Draft - At the very least we can't really rely on the Draft given where we're slotted. We have ammo but I don't feel any of these QBs are worth the ammo it would take to trade up. I'd take Darnold or Rosen but wouldn't trade the farm for them so they're out. After them, do you really want to trade multiple picks for an Allen, Mayfield or Jackson?

I wouldn't hate that Draft but am of the opinion we should go for Cousins or Alex Smith/Bridgewater/Keenum and build up the roster. Focus on a young QB next year when we're stocked with young talent and a bridge QB.

I agree.

I just don't think we're in position to take a top QB in this Draft - At the very least we can't really rely on the Draft given where we're slotted. We have ammo but I don't feel any of these QBs are worth the ammo it would take to trade up. I'd take Darnold or Rosen but wouldn't trade the farm for them so they're out. After them, do you really want to trade multiple picks for an Allen, Mayfield or Jackson?

I wouldn't hate that Draft but am of the opinion we should go for Cousins or Alex Smith/Bridgewater/Keenum and build up the roster. Focus on a young QB next year when we're stocked with young talent and a bridge QB.

No idea what Bridgewater's market will be, but I'd love to get him as a stopgap with some upside if he can stay healthy. Maybe an incentive-laden deal?

I agree.

I think they could trade up for one of those 3 you mentioned at a relatively painless price and I definitely think it's worth it. I'd probably rather trade up for one of those 3 than Darnold or Rosen due to the cost.

I think my order of preference would be:
1. Sign Cousins, draft a Day 3 QB like Kyle Lauletta or Kurt Benkert
2. Keep Tyrod, draft Lamar/Mayfield/Allen at 21.
3. Sign Bradford, draft Lamar/Mayfield/Allen at 21.
4. Keep Tyrod, trade up slightly for Lamar/Mayfield/Allen.
5. Sign Bradford, trade up slightly for Lamar/Mayfield/Allen.

Huge gap

6. Cut Tyrod, don't sign anybody, draft 2 QBs
7. Sign scrub veteran like Derek Anderson, draft QB in the 1st.

Another gap

8. Sign Keenum/Bridgewater/any other starter roughly the same level as Tyrod at a higher price

Another gap
9. Trade a pick in the first 3 rounds for a stopgap starter like Alex Smith

You guys hired former Patriots TE coach and Alabama OC Brian Daboil as OC.